Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I'm hedging my bets on Frost, Hardy, ENC and possibly Yeats for poetry. (personally hoping for Frost)

Relying fully on Theme/Issue but if I have to I'll just waffle on GV&V. I think theme/Issue is still very likely.

For Othello I've been revising jealousy, Iagos scheming Vs Othellos gullibility and the role of women.

Hope this goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Good I hope so, I'd love it :D
    Whether it comes up is another matter but I like Othello so I shouldn't do too bad in it- hopefully!

It's the only question I can answer on othello, otherwise I'm going to do so bad in the question

• Registered Users Posts: 11 liahiggins

griffin246 wrote: »
    Seriously freaking out atm...
    So the 2 poets i am praying for are Frost and Yeats? maybe Montague as a back up if i have time to study him tomorrow :p
    Comparative: Theme/issue of isolation
    Othello... I really have no idea? mabey role of women or general Othello or Iago
    ^is this what most people are covering?

Believe me I am the exact same right now! Ive been winging english this entire year and havent actually studied a thing for tomorrow. Im studying for Frost mainly and Donne and Ni Chuill as back ups and also doing Literary Genre and praying that something about Iago comes up :p if not then I am totally screwed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

In poetry, do we need to have add biographical info on poets, and would you recommend to do so? Also, do we have to list all of our poems briefly in like the 2nd/1st paragraph, or can we just go straight into it after the opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

A bit of biographical information makes it interesting.
    I would list the poems you're analysing in the introduction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Bourke97

I'm doing everything I can learn on othello! GV&V and theme/issue for comparative as I absolutely Literary Genre! For poetry I'm doing Dickinson, Hardy, Montague, Frost and just learning a bit on NiChuilleanain because I honestly don't think she will come up! She's on the course for next year and because she is new we might be tricked into thinking she'll come up! Didn't do Donne or Yeats!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 liahiggins

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    In poetry, do we need to have add biographical info on poets, and would you recommend to do so? Also, do we have to list all of our poems briefly in like the 2nd/1st paragraph, or can we just go straight into it after the opening?

Our teacher told us that it wasnt neccesary to add any bio info on the poets but that its sometimes nice to reference to other poems outside of what your discussing as a little side bit. Unlikey to rememeber things like that in an exam setting though :p And its generally good to list out what poems your discussing in the Intro and then launch into discussing each :) also, dont forget to find a link between each poem! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

any predictions for english paper 2 higher level tomorrow?

Plath's a banker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hulk_buster

Is Emily Dickinson worth revising??

If you've also done Ni Chuilleanain then she's definitely worth a look as you're pretty much guaranteed a female poet and I don't see Plath coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

yes. have money on her to come up over eilean

I have ENC and montage perfected, so I'm learning Dickinson now

Magnate wrote: »
    Plath's a banker.

Hell exists for people like you, haha :D God forbid you actually focus for more than a flinch on Plath. Last poet I can see coming up. Frost, Montague imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lune

When quoting from Othello, do you have to maintain the form of the lines as Shakespeare wrote them? Or can they run into one constant line

Lune wrote: »
    When quoting from Othello, do you have to maintain the form of the lines as Shakespeare wrote them? Or can they run into one constant line

one constant line.

Hell exists for people like you, haha :D God forbid you actually focus for more than a flinch on Plath. Last poet I can see coming up. Frost, Montague imo.

I was being sarcastic of course :P

Having said that I don't know why more people aren't doing both Ni Chuilleanain and Dickinson. A female poet comes up every year so it's worth covering both before worrying about Frost/Montague etc. Dickinson could easily come up twice in a row just as Plath has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 k88

People saying they are only studying Yeats, Donne, Dickison and Plath are FREAKING ME OUT. There's no way those 4 could come up together...surely.....Please...I can't face learning Donne tonight. Have the other 4 covered..

k88 wrote: »
    People saying they are only studying Yeats, Donne, Dickison and Plath are FREAKING ME OUT. There's no way those 4 could come up together...surely.....Please...I can't face learning Donne tonight. Have the other 4 covered..

If you have the other 4 covered I'd say you're definitely safe, the whole country would be shocked if Plath came up three times in a row.

haha they are my only 4 that i know so be quiet haha

Sorry if this has already been answered...This thread is getting hectic to follow :P But what my English teacher says and any videos I've watched they all say not to waffle on about the poet's life, just answer the question and try to make it personal to you! :)
    haha they are my only 4 that i know so be quiet haha

I'm sure one of them will come up! But there's no way they all could :P A huge majority of people would be screwed if that happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Sorry if this has already been answered...This thread is getting hectic to follow :P But what my English teacher says and any videos I've watched they all say not to waffle on about the poet's life, just answer the question and try to make it personal to you! :)

In 2009 it was relevant to give background to Montagues life for the answer so maybe know the odd bits you alredy know anyway like!:)

My school only covered Plath, Dickinson, in chuillenean, Yeats and montague,
    I know Enc and montague and I'm learning Dickinson now

People should also remember that poetry is not worth a huge amount of marks.....

In 2009 it was relevant to give background to Montagues life for the answer so maybe know the odd bits you alredy know anyway like!:)

Montague would be okay though, you get a good feel of his life from his poetry..Like The Cage/The Locket and all..No time to spare learning the poet's background now anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17 podisyc

Am I the only one who's learned a **** tonne of quotes and am winging the questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I cannot believe the amount of people not doing ENC or Montague. The easiest lot ever!
    podisyc wrote: »
    Am I the only one who's learned a **** tonne of quotes and am winging the questions?

no

Guys, help me out quick. Give me a critics quote on Robert Frost's poetry.

Elemonator wrote: »
    I cannot believe the amount of people not doing ENC or Montague. The easiest lot ever!

Not even ENC knows what her own poetry is about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Since today was a dead set disaster, tomorrow better be nice. Desdemona character q, GV+V, and Montague please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

My school just did Frost, Hardy and ENC. I checked the patterns and realised the 150th Birthday and thought it would be a good idea to do Yeats also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

I've learnt:
    - theme / issue
    - literary genre

-theme of jealousy in othello

- Montague
    -ní Chuilleanain

really not the best with English as a subject, how does this look?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement