Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

I'm praying for Montague. Although I love Dickinson, her quotes are dodgy cause I can't remember which words are capitalised and stuff, so hopefully Montague appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

GAMBLING ON FROST Y-O-L-O

If anything else comes up the best I can do is write the titles and explain them, i'm not even joking... all eggs in the frost basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Does it not make a whole lot more sense for Yeats to come up next year for the Easter Rising anniversary?

Personally, I don't see him coming up in either year. I haven't looked at the other poets for next year but no way would the SEC make it that obvious. It will probably by another Healey event, unless everyone predicts it to be a Heavy event, in which case he might come up!

The composition is so scary for me lol. I have one essay prepared but I'd say there's a 20% chance I'll get to use it. Might do a personal essay but I've never done one before (bar two pages). I'll probably ponder on what to do for a short story for twenty minutes and then completely rush it completely forgetting about all the techniques to be used!

Can't wait to do paper two, so much stronger at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You can surprise yourself with the short story, I wouldn't be apprehensive about it of all things. I didn't know what to do for the mocks so I wrote two pages about someone falling over in stage, and another page of them going back to their seat :o I got 55/70

Just take a stab at it and use as many of your writing techniques as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

You can surprise yourself with the short story, I wouldn't be apprehensive about it of all things. I didn't know what to do for the mocks so I wrote two pages about someone falling over in stage, and another page of them going back to their seat :o I got 55/70

Just take a stab at it and use as many of your writing techniques as possible

Do you know the traits of each writing style we must look for in the comprehension? The traits for informative, persuasive, narrative and argumentative?

• Advertisement

Broseph wrote: »
    Do you know the traits of each writing style we must look for in the comprehension? The traits for informative, persuasive, narrative and argumentative?

Nope, that's tonights cramming plan

Nope, that's tonights cramming plan

Cheers let me know if you find them? Haven't got them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Okay let's try and predict the theme for Paper 1, I think something to do with hope or happiness.

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Okay let's try and predict the theme for Paper 1, I think something to do with hope or happiness.

equality?

I haven't a bulls notion of where my notes are so don't wait up on me to post them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Epicfish

Does it not make a whole lot more sense for Yeats to come up next year for the Easter Rising anniversary?

It could be argued that Yeats is due this year for his 150th anniversary of his birth or some crap like that. But I think it's far too obvious, and so did our teacher.

My friend on the other hand, thinks it's so obvious it has to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

I know it's a bit late for this, but does a personal essay have to be written in the first person narrative?

oktplz wrote: »
    I know it's a bit late for this, but does a personal essay have to be written in the first person narrative?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mary.Elizabeth

Does anyone know what the short story options were on the DEB HL mock paper? I'd like to plan them just as practice

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RingoIRL

So is 1 page in 10 minutes good speed? Should I be aiming for 1 page in less time? Timing is my No. 1 issue, I've improved on it a bit but it's not perfect yet.

RingoIRL wrote: »
    So is 1 page in 10 minutes good speed? Should I be aiming for 1 page in less time? Timing is my No. 1 issue, I've improved on it a bit but it's not perfect yet.

My timing is:
    Question A 40mins
    Question B 40 mins
    Composing 80 mins
    10 mins leftover for reading/checking

For paper 2 I go by the marks - Othello is 60 marks so it gets 60 minutes

I'd say 1 page in 10 minutes is quite good, considering for Othello I'd write about 5 pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

wait can you use a first person narrative in a personal essay or is it just for short stories? :(:eek:

I'm praying that I can fit my lovely short story in tomorrow. If I can't, it's not the end of the world but using my prepared narrative would make it easier. Last year I could have fit it in, hopefully this year I can too.

Also, I have this idea that "write a short story about a time a character experienced inequality" is going to come up, so I'm trying to work my story around that...

Also, I have this idea that "write a short story about a time a character experienced inequality" is going to come up, so I'm trying to work my story around that...

Did you by any chance to the DEB mock paper? I'm trying to find out what the short story options were on it

I threw my mocks out last week!

But the short story title I did was a quote "my heart was beating so fast" and you had to base the story on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

If a nice speech doesn't come up tomorrow, I will cry.

I threw my mocks out last week!

But the short story title I did was a quote "my heart was beating so fast" and you had to base the story on that.

Thank you! I thought it might have been on equality (wasn't that the theme) but that's okay

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cog96

God help the poor souls who have six exams in the first week !!

What do people think of writing the short story in a 1st person narrative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

What do people think of writing the short story in a 1st person narrative?

Can you not do with a short story?

Getting confused here!

Can you not do with a short story?

Getting confused here!

I always thought you could do 1st or 3rd person narrative, but I read somewhere only do 3rd, which made me nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

You can write the short story from whatever perspective you want; even from an animals view or something out of the box like that. The main thing is that your plot works (intro, climax, conclusion), that your characters are well developed, and you use descriptive language for your setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LeeLee97

DEB Short Story
    Short story in which a central character has a heavy burden to bear.

I'm not going to ask why anybody wants to know the titles on the mocks.....

LeeLee97 wrote: »
    DEB Short Story
    Short story in which a central character has a heavy burden to bear.

I'm not going to ask why anybody wants to know the titles on the mocks.....

I like to plan essays for practice, and I've done most in the papers. Thanks!

• Advertisement

I like to plan essays for practice, and I've done most in the papers. Thanks!

What are the characteristics of the language types for the comprehension? Argumentative, persuasive, informative and narrative. What techniques do you look for?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement