Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

Broseph wrote: »
    What are the characteristics of the language types for the comprehension? Argumentative, persuasive, informative and narrative. What techniques do you look for?

This site is good for that stuff.

http://leavingcertenglish.net/2011/04/language-of-persuasion/

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

What are the characteristics of the language types for the comprehension? Argumentative, persuasive, informative and narrative. What techniques do you look for?

You look at factors such as their style and tone.
    If it's argumentative, it will come across as passionate, emotive, use of examples.
    Persuasive is debate techniques- rethorical questions, facts, again emotive language.
    Informative will be formal language, facts, details, reportive style with little personal injection from the writer.
    Narrative is good storytelling and imagery, it leaves an impression on the reader.

It will depend on what the text is about and who the author is; that's why it is so, so, SO important to take the introduction section (at the top in italics) in to consideration and use it in your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mary.Elizabeth

Argumentative/persuasive: the piece could be subjective not objective; strong direct language; possibly selectivity (only giving one side of a story); backed up by facts; allegory to convey a point; rheotorical questions; comparisons

Informative: facts; statistics; academic language; clear language; colloquial language (so that readers can understand it); historical background; quotes; formal tone; journalistic; criticism

Narrative: descriptions; characterisation; dialogue; aesthetic use of language (similes, metaphors, symbolism etc); point of view; bias (if in 1st person); emotive; use of setting; sensual language

I think you can say the aesthetic use of language for any of them to be honest.

But we never studied writing types as just those four headings that you gave. We also looked at things like philosophical pieces, biography, journalistic pieces. Are we supposed to know the styles under the four titles you listed?

Are we supposed to know the styles under the four titles you listed?

Identifying features of persuasive writing comes up quite a bit.

Main features
    1) Language is accessible and conversational without overuse of jargon. Use of personal pronoun “we” to engage reader/ make them feel connected to the author. Use of rhetorical questions. Use of triadic phrases
    2) Use of examples - both hard facts and anecdotal evidence to support ideas. A balance of both the logical and emotive side of things. Not too sensationalistic.
    3) Inclusion of an antithesis so as not to be biased. Acknowledging the other side and then refuting it.
    4) Repetition of ideas, phrases. Maybe ending on a note that refers to the start (cyclical quality)
    5) Imagery and symbols.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ajguy97

Goodluck to everyone tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Nero707

HARDY 4 LIFE

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

Does anyone know how to write a letter? Like the 1st part eg. Date etc and the last part eg. Yours sincerely etc. Please help, my teacher didn't teach us any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 leavingcert15

I know this is a REALLY stupid question but its what messed me up in the mocks- A personal essay has to be personal right? Like if theres dialogue then its a short story, if its about failing a leaving cert then its not a personal essay because its not about me because Im in the middle of the LC writing it in paper 1?? But I read a personal essay always has to have a resolution at the end like where the author comes to a conclusion about the topic but I did a personal essay on failing LC and how it was day I got my reults and I was cooped up in my room for weeks and then I was like Now its all better, im going to repeat its not the be all and end all and etc etc and my teacher said it wasn't a personal essay? If the titles tomorrow aren't favourable towards a short story then I'll do a personal essay but I need it clear in my head the difference..please help

I know this is a REALLY stupid question but its what messed me up in the mocks- A personal essay has to be personal right? Like if theres dialogue then its a short story, if its about failing a leaving cert then its not a personal essay because its not about me because Im in the middle of the LC writing it in paper 1?? But I read a personal essay always has to have a resolution at the end like where the author comes to a conclusion about the topic but I did a personal essay on failing LC and how it was day I got my reults and I was cooped up in my room for weeks and then I was like Now its all better, im going to repeat its not the be all and end all and etc etc and my teacher said it wasn't a personal essay? If the titles tomorrow aren't favourable towards a short story then I'll do a personal essay but I need it clear in my head the difference..please help

Just say you failed last year and now you're repeating

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Do you think I could get away with just learning Montague, Dickinson, and Frost/Hardy? I haven't even prepared an essay for Frost or Hardy yet and I don't think I'll have time to do both for tomorrow so I'll just choose one to do. :P

Cheerios wrote: »
    Do you think I could get away with just learning Montague, Dickinson, and Frost/Hardy? I haven't even prepared an essay for Frost or Hardy yet and I don't think I'll have time to do both for tomorrow so I'll just choose one to do. :P

I'm just doing Frost, ENC and Donne (even though I haven't started Donne yet ). I'm going to try and read over Hardy too but I doubt I'll get time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Gryffindor wrote: »
    I'm just doing Frost, ENC and Donne (even though I haven't started Donne yet ). I'm going to try and read over Hardy too but I doubt I'll get time.

Which did you find easier to learn, Frost or Hardy? I was out for the both of them and of course I leave it until the very last minute to study them. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Cheerios wrote: »
    Which did you find easier to learn, Frost or Hardy? I was out for the both of them and of course I leave it until the very last minute to study them. :P

Hardys a lot easier In my opinion but Frost has a lot of online videos with notes and stuff due to his popularity with the Americans- read through the poems of both and whatever you identify with most do that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eoin12345

dazzadazza wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to write a letter? Like the 1st part eg. Date etc and the last part eg. Yours sincerely etc. Please help, my teacher didn't teach us any of that.

Your address
    Date
    Recipients name.
    Recipients address.

Dear........
    Why you are writing...

Body of letter (2-3 paragraphs Max)

Summary

Yours sincerely( if you know their name) Yours truly if not.

Your name

*the your address and date part should be on the right hand side

Gryffindor wrote: »
    I'm going to try and read over Hardy too but I doubt I'll get time.

Honestly they're so similar. Frost was the first poet we did in fifth year (when I actually studied properly) so for that reason I'm much more comfortable with him. Hardy is pretty straightforward too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

First sign of madness is talking to yourself Griff :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Poll disappoints,
    No Atari jaguar.
    Atari Jaguar isn't on the course this year; you're thinking of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EmilyJane2812

Will I be okay if I've learnt:
    Montague
    Dickinson
    Ni Chuilleanain
    And either Frost or Yeats (havent started learning these yet and haven't decided which to pick of the two)

For Othello:
    Iago
    Othello's Downfall
    The Role of Women
    Jealousy
    Imagery and Symbolism

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MarkLC2015

Gonna chance

Poetry : Montague but backups with Dickinson and Ni Chuilenanain

Othello :Theme of Jealousy
    Role of Women
    Iago

Comparative :Theme/ Isuue

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Aaronlp5

One of Montague and Donne are likely right?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Poetry: Main Frost, back-ups Donne, NiChui, Montague.

Comparative : Literary Genre, then Vision and Viewpoint.

Othello : Theme of Jealousy, Role of women, Othello's downfall/Iago planning.

Did it in order.. If the first three come up, I'll scream like a little girl, haha :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    Poetry: Main Frost, back-ups Donne, NiChui, Montague.

Comparative : Literary Genre, then Vision and Viewpoint.

Othello : Theme of Jealousy, Role of women, Othello's downfall/Iago planning.

Did it in order.. If the first three come up, I'll scream like a little girl, haha :D

My plans for all the sections are the exact same! Hopefully they come up, we'd be very happy if so!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pacman96

Anyone doing the great gatsby as their single text?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sarah_97

The only reason I suspect frost and monatgue will come up this year just because if they don't; they're not on the course till 2018.
    And they haven't come
    Up for ages. Frost (2011) and motague (2009)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Quarks

Hardy, Frost and Ni Chuilleanain to come up I'd say. As for the fourth poet, I've no idea. Either Donne or Montague as a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eoin12345

What order are people answering their questions in tomorrow!!? Timing was my problem today so would like to see what others are doing. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

eoin12345 wrote: »
    What order are people answering their questions in tomorrow!!? Timing was my problem today so would like to see what others are doing. Thanks.

It'll be whatever I feel most confident on first because that'll make me less nervous. Probably poetry, Othello, comparative and then unseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Quarks

For me, it'll be Single Text, Poetry or Comparative (depends which looks more appealing) and Unseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Generally go with the nicest one cause it will build up your confidence, and you'll have it out of the way quick, rather than doing the hardest one, thinking for like 5 minutes each paragraph and being caught for time in the end.

I'll probably go with Comparative first (7 pages), because that's the longest, and I'll just want that out of the way. Then Poetry (5-6 pages), and Othello (5 pages. Unseen poetry I'll definitely do last, 20 marks is something I can afford to lose, worst case scenario. It's supposed to be like 1.5 pages anyways, I could do that in the last 5 min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

I'm doing the one I found hard to learn so I won't forget during the exam the othello answer I have learnt is so complex and I think around 6 or 7 pages I'll get that over and done, and then poetry and comparative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Usually do it in terms of the points, so, Comparative, othello, poetry, unseen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement