Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Silent Hill - Del Toro and Kojima

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Ha, was thinking the same. Imagine a tv series by him? Christ almighty… it would make Lost look like intelligent and concise.

The whole thing would probably be like the worst, most confusing episodes of Twin Peaks but with rediculous over-acting and a script that makes no sense in translation.

And nano-machines somewhere, probably.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I dunno, from the length of some of his cutscenes, its like he's already making movies, and fitting a game in around it.

Yeah but how bad are those cutscenes. MGS4 was painfully to play through because of them.
    The whole thing would probably be like the worst, most confusing episodes of Twin Peaks but with rediculous over-acting and a script that makes no sense in translation.

And nano-machines somewhere, probably.

It's nothing to do with translation that makes the stories not make sense, the scripts really are just that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

PT is gone after today, pretty sure I haven't deleted my copy but after today I can still play it can't I?
    Not used to digital games at all tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

ERG89 wrote: »
    PT is gone after today, pretty sure I haven't deleted my copy but after today I can still play it can't I?
    Not used to digital games at all tbh...

Once you've downloaded anything once it will always be available to re - download in your library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yup, should still be available, EuroGamer put it to the test:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Surely Konami aren't that deluded that they'll hand over development duties to another low key American outfit like before and expect the same results as the demo in terms of both quality and subsequent critical reaction!? Sorry, I'm just so annoyed with this whole thing :confused:

ripperman wrote: »
    Surely Konami aren't that deluded that they'll hand over development duties to another low key American outfit like before and expect the same results as the demo in terms of both quality and subsequent critical reaction!? Sorry, I'm just so annoyed with this whole thing :confused:

I'm pissed the fúck off too. Should we start a petition? Send letter bombs? Or just wait and hope? I haven't been this upset since James Gandolfini died and to be honest I'm still not completely over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Pray that there's some kind of reconciliation and that Del Toro and Kojima will be hired as creative advisors or something of the ilk by either Konami or whoever is getting the project, somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

People need to get over this being some malicious attack on gamers cus konami are pissed at Kojima, they are getting out of console games cus they aren't as profitable for them anymore that's all there is to it http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-30-what-is-happening-at-konami

Also it's widely acknowledged that even when PT was released Silents Hills was still in the early concept stage so it's likely it wouldn't have been released at least for another year or more likely two considering the pace Kojima works at so it's not like they are scrapping an even half finished product

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

In all honesty, if Silent Hills was EVER going to be released, 2 things would have happened, it either A) would not have lived up to the hype and/or been like 4 hours long or B) would have been released in like 2018

Seriously I LOVE P.T. but extending that into being a fully fledged game (or experience or whatever you want to call it) would probably have been one of the biggest challenges I can think of.

They could have done an interactive, linear, scripted type thing and that would have been fine, but trying to introduce any element of "openness" in environments (ever so much as going outdoors too a street) would have been pushing the hardware to it's limits.

Would there have been combat or would it be like Clock Tower and you're just constantly trying to stay alive weaponless? How would the combat work? Lead pip and a handgun with 18 bullets for the whole game?

It was probably the best game concept i've ever seen, but making that concept a reality was maybe a reach too far.

Now if it was maybe some sort of Sony/2K Games/Bethesda type circle jerk they'd chuck plenty of talented resources at it, and we'd end up with something pretty sweet if we were patient.... but Konami? Seriously..... f**k those guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

Great post, Cormac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

The fan theories going around are mental, the latest being Kojima foreshadowed this whole debacle at the end of PT.

"Dad was such a drag. Every day he'd eat the same kind of food, dress the same, sit in front of the same kind of games... Yeah, he was just that kind of guy. But then one day, he goes and kills us all! He couldn't even be original about the way he did it. I'm not complaining... I was dying of boredom anyway, But guess what? I will be coming back, and I'm bringing my new toys with me."

"Dad" in this instance being Konami (obviously) getting rid of staff left right and centre with the implication being that Kojima was bored at Konami and intends the bring PT with him when he's up and running in his own studio.

Mental, I know. I seem to remember similar theories being bandied about a few months back as the deja vu mission in MGS:GZ has you removing Kojima Productions logos with your weird gun.

But yeah, Konami are just mental, that's pretty much all there is to this. Jim Sterling has 2 great videos tearing them apart which sum it up really. They're also getting torn to shreds on their Facebook page where they're posting about Castlevania as if nothings going on. Madness.

Just saw GerB40's link, but still.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think people are just reading into PT too much and it's a load of balony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

Retr0gamer wrote: »

That's the most likely scenario alright. The crazy fan theories just seem to follow Kojima wherever he goes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Well_H0ly_God

Konami are leaving the games industry.

It's just happening in a peculiar way from what we are normally used to here in the west. Usually a company comes out and says it's moving into other business ventures but Japanese culture is different. They'll eventually, little by little, drift off into the background subtly.

The thing is, although everyone is looking forward to MGSV and additions to their other franchises, they don't draw massive amounts of numbers. And in todays environment everyone is afraid to take risks. Far too many companies these days are playing it safe because video games take such vasts amounts of money to make and eat up such a massive amount of resources and time it's do or die when it comes to recouping that finance and sales numbers are essential. MGS and Silent Hill never pulled in those incredible numbers even though you may personally enjoy them. And for Kojima, talented as he and his team are, to go to the Konami suits and ask for upwards of 30million for development - it's risky to say the least in a world where you're nobody if you're not pushing out annual editions of a blockbuster series.

I'll miss them particularly since I've always been a Pro Evo guy rather than FIFA but that's the way it is. I'd say MGSV will be the last AAA game - the reason being it's almost finished whereas Silent Hills was only a playable teaser of a greater concept that had not yet even been embarked upon in any significant sense making it easier to cancel.

The problem is that Konami's main revenue comes from it's gambling machines in Japan. It has a long line of gym's as well so as a corporation they'll survive.

My question is where will their IP's fall? Who would come in for them? Castlevania, Metal Gear, PES?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I think it's just wishful thinking but there IS some odd stuff in PT foreshadowing the game being "cancelled"

http://i.imgur.com/UHveSCo.jpg

"development halted due to inexplicable bug"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Can't see anyone picking up PES to be honest. FIFA pretty much has the monopoly on soccer games, and with younger people getting into gaming, all their friends are likely on FIFA, alienating it further.

Castlevania and MGS for example, will hopefully be picked up and are kept true to their konami roots

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Or perhaps the IPs should be allowed retire gracefully, leaving a rich history behind them and encouraging the creators behind those series to spread their wings and make new experiences without the ever unreasonable expectations of the franchises' fans. And we can all play these new games and appreciate a medium that is not constantly looking backwards and soaked in nostalgia, but instead forwards.

[/delusionalidealism]

• Advertisement

Can't see anyone picking up PES to be honest. FIFA pretty much has the monopoly on soccer games, and with younger people getting into gaming, all their friends are likely on FIFA, alienating it further.

Castlevania and MGS for example, will hopefully be picked up and are kept true to their konami roots

It would be a sad day to see such a vastly superior footy game in PES disappear to leave that abomination from EA free reign.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It would be a sad day to see such a vastly superior footy game in PES disappear to leave that abomination from EA free reign.

Remembering the days when ISS and PES were better than Fifa and everyone knew it, people overcame the lack of official team names and just enjoyed the superior gameplay and the joy of local multiplayer.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Remembering the days when ISS and PES were better than Fifa and everyone knew it, people overcame the lack of official team names and just enjoyed the superior gameplay and the joy of local multiplayer.

Yeah.

But if you get PES for the PC, you can download community files to insert into your PES folder which gives you all the real player names, real team logo's, real tournament names etc etc. The files change everything from the menu screen to the music making it a vastly improved experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

gDO2M0k.jpg

Konami have now scrubbed P.T. off the servers altogether in the US. Guess anyone thinking of re-downloading P.T. in Europe should do it pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gone from the EU servers now as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Queue a load of PS4's hitting ebay with PT installed & a stellar asking price...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Myrddin wrote: »
    Queue a load of PS4's hitting ebay with PT installed & a stellar asking price...

I read yesterday that ebay are apparently removing PS4 ads that have P.T in the description. Not sure how true it is, sounds a bit over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Can PT still be downloaded from the ps4 store? or has it been completely wiped...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Can PT still be downloaded from the ps4 store? or has it been completely wiped...

Wiped by all accounts, which is a major downside of digital distribution. Though I'd agree with JU's previous post regarding the benefits of digital distribution, particularly for something like PT and the phenomenon it became, because of its distribution method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I read yesterday that ebay are apparently removing PS4 ads that have P.T in the description. Not sure how true it is, sounds a bit over the top.

I wouldn't be surprised at all, I think eBay has a policy against selling items of this nature and remember them cancelling listings for something along the same lines, which I'm really glad to see being implemented. It could have been listings for the 20th anniversary of PlayStation editions of PS4s, or something else, I can't remember exactly.

Edit: I remember now, it was iPhones and iPods with Flappy Bird installed on them, after it was pulled from the AppStore and people were trying to flog them for crazy money. eBay removed listings from people trying to sell them, thankfully. :pac:

Advertisement