Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Silent Hill - Del Toro and Kojima

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I wouldnt go near this thing with an extra long telescopic barge pole! Can't even bring myself to watch a lets play til the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Went back for more pain :p

I made it to the final puzzle but couldn't make the baby laugh a second time. Tried countless times so I've given up again for the time being.

Bloody freaks me out hearing those noises :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The graphics are incredible, the camera movement and lighting is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,352 ✭✭✭✭Penn

krudler wrote: »
    The graphics are incredible, the camera movement and lighting is something else.

Agreed. Apparently Kojima has said they actually toned down the quality to make it seem more like it was an indie studio who made it. I expect the full game won't be quite a good due to much larger environments and stuff, but still, they did a hell of a job. It looks and plays fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Penn wrote: »
    Agreed. Apparently Kojima has said they actually toned down the quality to make it seem more like it was an indie studio who made it. I expect the full game won't be quite a good due to much larger environments and stuff, but still, they did a hell of a job. It looks and plays fantastic.

The quality looked fairly brutal imo, so it's good to know that they gave us a toned down version, the jagged edges looked awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Huh? I thought it was one of the best looking games/demos on the PS4. It's ultra-realistic, the textures are photogenic.

Having said that I only played it for 2 min last night and had to turn it off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

.ak wrote: »
    the textures are photogenic.

Textures: Aw shucks! Thanks, you're only saying that! The FPS perspective takes a few pounds off though, I don't really look that good in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Streamer has a panic attack when playing the Demo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Probably the best piece of game marketing ever.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The quality looked fairly brutal imo, so it's good to know that they gave us a toned down version, the jagged edges looked awful.

The shadow and texture quality aren't great. The lighting and post processing are very good however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

looks unreal, may have to invest in a ps4 soonish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

chriity139 wrote: »
    looks unreal, may have to invest in a ps4 soonish

I remember saying "Soonish" about 3/4 weeks ago... that quickly became "soon".... and I have a feeling that'll be "in need it in my life now" awful quickly... *looks at clock*.... gahhhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Played this tonight, my god it's something else. The tension! Imagine this in the Rift, the stuff of nightmares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I turned it off. Too scary for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Myrddin wrote: »
    Played this tonight, my god it's something else. The tension! Imagine this in the Rift, the stuff of nightmares

Cormac... wrote: »
    459024_600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Sigh...... downloaded it.
    Got through 4 or 5 loops. Tension building. Weird noises. Door that should be
    open is locked. Other door behind me creaks open.
    Turned off PS4 and turned on all the lights in the house.

I plan on tricking the missus into playing this later on, telling her it's a CSI style game and you have to find clues around a house in Miami.... She'll be none the wiser, for a while anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I plan on tricking the missus into playing this later on, telling her it's a CSI style game and you have to find clues around a house in Miami.... She'll be none the wiser, for a while anyway....

Oh you have to record her reaction...

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

That is jsut pure evil

I love it!

When I get a PS4 I will have to do the same

Have your suitcase packed, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Without giving too much away, should there be something to find and do every time you go through the door, or are there parts where you just keep going and going until the door at the end is closed again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

weiland79 wrote: »
    Without giving too much away, should there be something to find and do every time you go through the door, or are there parts where you just keep going and going until the door at the end is closed again?

Is that the part where there's a red light on the left wall of the first corridor? That part keeps looping until you find the solution

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Lot of overreacting going on here, twas two parts that should make you jump beyond that it's boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Lot of overreacting going on here, twas two parts that should make you jump beyond that it's boring.

I think it's the tension you get by constantly feeling something is going to jump out and frighten the shyte out of you that got to people the most.
    Nothing might happen for ten minutes but for every second of that ten minutes you're scared shítless waiting for the next wtf moment..

I think we're all tired of jump scares at this stage. The demo offers a lot more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think we all have different views on acceptable levels of scariness.
    I'm sure plenty of people could play this alone in a dark room at night with headphones on and surround sound...... I'm not one of them.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I think we all have different views on acceptable levels of scariness.
    I'm sure plenty of people could play this alone in a dark room at night with headphones on and surround sound...... I'm not one of them.

Good point. Personally I love more psychologically disturbing then jump out with a load noise games. I think this demo is the former, FWIW.

For example, I think Dead Space is the latter, and the issue with games like that is after an hour of playing it you become accustomed to the jumps, the game stops being scary and ends up being more action. Dead Space 2 and 3 were even worse for it to the point it just wasn't scary and felt cheap.

My favourite game in terms of psychological aspects was Silent Hill 2. As far as I remember they hired some of the world's leading psychologists who worked with infamous killers/serial killers etc as consultants. This certainly showed in terms of how the game played out; the end being revealed within the first section of the game, the disturbing sexual nature of a lot of the cutscenes/AI to test your psyche, the radio noise, the subliminal messaging, the message conveyed through physical environments, and the ever changing environment itself. Til this day is a masterclass. Took me about a year to finish it because I kept putting it down.

Never got the same buzz of any of the following Silent Hills (or the first one imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭julan

I would really want to try this out, but I don't have PS4 yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fully agree on Silent Hill 2, pure psychological mindf*ck that is much more effective than cheap jump scares. A great modern comparison would be between P.T and Outlast. Outlast was a lot of fun but you were basically looking for the next thing to make you jump. After jumping 10 30 times, the effect wears off. P.T just oozes dread and atmosphere. I wish more modern horror films would use the same tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭julan

Yeah that kind of tactics is much more creepier than the jump scares.

Advertisement