Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Silent Hill - Del Toro and Kojima

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sink Baby
    freaked me out more than any of the jump-scares.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,939 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The more I read about this the more it sounds like it's a lot of jump scares, well done jump scares but certainly far from the psychological horror of Silent Hill 2. That game wasn't about jump scares and more about making you feel awful.
    .ak wrote: »
    My favourite game in terms of psychological aspects was Silent Hill 2. As far as I remember they hired some of the world's leading psychologists who worked with infamous killers/serial killers etc as consultants. This certainly showed in terms of how the game played out; the end being revealed within the first section of the game, the disturbing sexual nature of a lot of the cutscenes/AI to test your psyche, the radio noise, the subliminal messaging, the message conveyed through physical environments, and the ever changing environment itself. Til this day is a masterclass. Took me about a year to finish it because I kept putting it

This never happened. Jeremy Blaustein who worked on the game did however say that the guy that wrote the scenario and story was a strange, weird and messed up individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Horror can be told so much more true its silence and atmosphere and I personally hope the trailer really is nothing to the actual game release. I hate jump scares because that's not what Horror suppose to be but we live in a world now watching trailers like paranormal activity to sell you a movie on peoples reactions or let players playing games they scream and freak out over a pop scare. Silent hill 2 left you feeling like you rotted from the inside but I never expected the series to go back to that game where so many others tried and failed.

Silent Hill 1 and 3 fear was in its atmosphere , you did not have to have monsters jumping out at you , its silence , fog , emptiness did that to you regardless.

Kojima words that he wants you to **** your pants tells me its focusing too much on the scare aspect for youtubers to lets play because people love to see that.

I also would of preferred to have a protagonist that was not a well known actor , using a actor we know loses its uniqueness.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,570 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Agreed about the famous actor, Reedus is badass but definitely loses immersion. Saying that, they well know Survival Horror isn't a big seller and this could get a LOT of people buying just because Darryl is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The more I read about this the more it sounds like it's a lot of jump scares, well done jump scares but certainly far from the psychological horror of Silent Hill 2. That game wasn't about jump scares and more about making you feel awful.

This never happened. Jeremy Blaustein who worked on the game did however say that the guy that wrote the scenario and story was a strange, weird and messed up individual.

Not sure where I got that from. I had a special edition disc with a behind the scenes documentary style thingy, thought they said something about it there.

Still, let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Horror can be told so much more true its silence and atmosphere and I personally hope the trailer really is nothing to the actual game release. I hate jump scares because that's not what Horror suppose to be but we live in a world now watching trailers like paranormal activity to sell you a movie on peoples reactions or let players playing games they scream and freak out over a pop scare. Silent hill 2 left you feeling like you rotted from the inside but I never expected the series to go back to that game where so many others tried and failed.

Silent Hill 1 and 3 fear was in its atmosphere , you did not have to have monsters jumping out at you , its silence , fog , emptiness did that to you regardless.

Kojima words that he wants you to **** your pants tells me its focusing too much on the scare aspect for youtubers to lets play because people love to see that.

I also would of preferred to have a protagonist that was not a well known actor , using a actor we know loses its uniqueness.

But Sean Bean was great in Silent Hill 2 :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,201 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The more I read about this the more it sounds like it's a lot of jump scares, well done jump scares but certainly far from the psychological horror of Silent Hill 2.

Nope, don't think that's fair or accurate commentary at all.

PT expends a lot of effort on manifesting the psychological distress of its protagonist through game design. The looping structure articulates the living hell he is living through - each day is a fresh nightmare, the lines between reality and his fragile state of mind becoming blurrier and blurrier. It's a game about guilt and tragedy and loss, and how they are eating away at this person. It is literally inescapable.

It's also, like Eraserhead, an abstract look at fear of parenthood. The character's terror or confusion at his newborn child is exaggarated to increasing extremes - that piercing scream and the horrific foetus you find in the sink. Again, all a manifestation of internal uncertainty and unease. The imagery throughout the game are dark subversions of everyday sights - making the familiar disturbingly and even dangerously unfamiliar. That radio, for example, just broadcasting the news, drives our 'hero' deeper into a hole, until it seems as if it's actively toying with him.

There's also some strong environmental storytelling, with everything you need to know about this man carefully explored through background details (whether that's a radio broadcast or a table littered with medication). This is the disturbing story of a life in ruins, and a lot of tools are used to explore that. Even the visual design, heavy on the shadows, grain, blur, subtly varying lighting and soft focus, goes towards emphasising a world of psychological unease and dread. The hallway changes just enough each time that the player approaches it with distrust and caution - bad things are afoot.

Yes, there are some familiar horror game tools employed - whether that's a creepy soundtrack or one or two surprises that may or may not make a player jump. But to say that's all the game has to offer to me seems like the comments of someone who hasn't considered the game in much depth at all. Heck, even one of the 'jumpiest moments' does not arrive with a loud screech of strings, but only if the player opts to casually look upwards. I'm not saying PT is a masterpiece or anything - certainly even a lot of the above tools are familiar - but it provided me with encouragement the full game will have ambitions to explore its horror through smart, cohesive design rather than cheap 'boo!'s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,939 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No problem, as I said I haven't even played it but looking forward to it.

Ok found all picture pieces, creepy lady scared the bejaysus out of me much more than I should have been. Now I'm in fast forward mode with spinning eyeballs on the walls. This game is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Possibly it's because I'm just a wuss but I hate these kind of games. Just do no enjoy them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Corvo

I didn't even play this, just watched a gameplay video (by TheRadBrad) and pretty much nearly cried. I'll never be playing this and all of you who are...you're all mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Corvo wrote: »
    I didn't even play this, just watched a gameplay video (by TheRadBrad) and pretty much nearly cried. I'll never be playing this and all of you who are...you're all mental.

I'm on my third play through now (my first one alone) and once you know what to expect it's not that bad.
    Having said that I still nearly pissed myself when "yer wan" popped by to say hello..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Possibly it's because I'm just a wuss but I hate these kind of games. Just do no enjoy them at all.

It's a love/hate thing for me. I don't enjoy them, but I do love the fact I hate them... if that makes any sense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

.ak wrote: »
    It's a love/hate thing for me. I don't enjoy them, but I do love the fact I hate them... if that makes any sense.

Yea I've the same thing with horror movies haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

I downloaded this last night played in the dark with head phones on and nearly shat my pants.. I have never played Silent Hill before but will defo buy this.. Graphics are amazing alright..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I watched this on youtube, a channel that clearly new how to play it and nothing happened apart from the door slamming and the weird fetus crying.

Then I saw TheRadBrad had a playthrough so i said id watch that because I like some of his horror stuff, I watched it thinking I new everything that was gonna happen but Ill tell ya,
    I nearly shat myself when that monster thing grabs ya
    I genuinely wasn't expecting it.

I jumped so much the cat went flying and wouldn't come back into me for the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

With Phantom Pain out next year the chances of this being released even late in the same year are slim, surely!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

So, i got my PS4 now, where do i go to get this demo game (dumb questions i know)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Cormac... wrote: »
    So, i got my PS4 now, where do i go to get this demo game (dumb questions i know)

PS store in demos is where I found it.

PS store in demos is where I found it.

Sound got it now :)
    No sleep for me tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

P.T._head.0.gif

NNNOOOOOPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Fell that was a tough one to watch in work :eek:

Class trailer! I finally finished P.T. but got the ending with the
    white screen and writing
    before the demo started again. So, is there an actual ending that shows Norman Reedus pop up to say hello?

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Class trailer! I finally finished P.T. but got the ending with the
    white screen and writing
    before the demo started again. So, is there an actual ending that shows Norman Reedus pop up to say hello?

No proper 'ending' as such, just cuts to the trailer where he's walking down a street and turns his head.

This new trailer feels a little different to me? I'm not saying its disappointing or anything. Its very effective but doesn't have quite the same look or atmosphere of the P.T. demo? P.T. felt very real, raw and edgy. This looks a little more...glossy or something!?

Maybe its just because I'm comparing a concept video, a collection of things that may or may not make the final product in a snappy showreel kind of way, with a playable teaser. Pacing is the key issue here perhaps? Anyone agree?

ripperman wrote: »
    This new trailer feels a little different to me? I'm not saying its disappointing or anything. Its very effective but doesn't have quite the same look or atmosphere of the P.T. demo? P.T. felt very real, raw and edgy. This looks a little more...glossy or something!?

Maybe its just because I'm comparing a concept video, a collection of things that may or may not make the final product in a snappy showreel kind of way, with a playable teaser. Pacing is the key issue here perhaps? Anyone agree?

I'm more interested in how many of the scares will be scripted/forced and how much of it will be cutscenes.

For a game like this, they should introduce some new mechanics. Maybe something like if you're being chased or under threat that in FPS view every 10 steps the computer automatically snaps the camera back on the threat without changing your running direction.
    I dunno if that makes sense but i just don't want all the decent scary bits to be cutscenes

ripperman wrote: »

I'd say for the trailer, they wanted to show as much as possible in as short a time as possible. In PT, they wanted to stretch out the tension so you never knew when something creepy was going to happen.

Cormac... wrote: »
    I'm more interested in how many of the scares will be scripted/forced and how much of it will be cutscenes.

For a game like this, they should introduce some new mechanics. Maybe something like if you're being chased or under threat that in FPS view every 10 steps the computer automatically snaps the camera back on the threat without changing your running direction.
    I dunno if that makes sense but i just don't want all the decent scary bits to be cutscenes

Interesting idea. I have faith that cutscenes won't hog the scares, even if it is Kojima! I can honestly state that no other game has frightened me as much as the P.T. demo. I still havn't finished it and yet it still makes my blood run cold, with each sound effect and scare (a lot of which is scripted as we now know) eventhough I've encountered them numerous times at this stage. This fact lends me to believe that the final product will be something special if it carries the quality of the demo through to the rest of the game.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    I'd say for the trailer, they wanted to show as much as possible in as short a time as possible. In PT, they wanted to stretch out the tension so you never knew when something creepy was going to happen.

Very true. I wonder was that the right thing to do though. A 1.30 minute trailer with lots of stuff crammed into it isn't really representative of what we've played? A person could be mistaken that they are two entirely different games in fact? Trailers are very much a double edged sword at times for games and movies alike. I would have preferred if they showed us even 30 seconds of new gameplay.

Advertisement