Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

bajer101 wrote: »
    Word of warning for anyone who gets the download version and expects to start playing quickly. It says, "Ready to Start" at about 20%, but you only get about 10 minutes gameplay. It then stops and won't go any further until the download is complete.

Yep, got caught with that too the other day but it was quick to download the rest thankfully. Will get stuck back into this tomorrow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

tony1980 wrote: »
    Yep, got caught with that too the other day but it was quick to download the rest thankfully. Will get stuck back into this tomorrow night!

It was a slow enough download for me last night on the 120Mb UPC ethernet. Got the 10 minutes of play just after 1am, but at 3am it was only at 85% and I decided I better hit the hay. I just knew that if I waited for the rest of the download I'd have had to play for another couple of hours.

I got a few hours in this evening, and it is gorgeous. The gameplay visuals of the Syria level are the best I have seen. I am also getting more of a vibe of the old Tomb Raider gameplay than the previous one. Really looking forward to getting stuck into it this weekend.

I played another couple of hours in to it on Thursday night and hopefully tonight and have been enjoying it.

The Tombs are a bit too easy though and these microtransactions for certain things including attack combos, etc are a joke. Very disappointed with that side of things but I am still enjoying the actual game and the visuals are amazing!

I have been playing a little Fallout 4 on the pc so haven't spent too much time on this yet but I am hoping to put in a good few hours tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

tony1980 wrote: »
    I played another couple of hours in to it on Thursday night and hopefully tonight and have been enjoying it.

The Tombs are a bit too easy though and these microtransactions for certain things including attack combos, etc are a joke. Very disappointed with that side of things but I am still enjoying the actual game and the visuals are amazing!

I have been playing a little Fallout 4 on the pc so haven't spent too much time on this yet but I am hoping to put in a good few hours tonight.

How does that work? Is it an optional micro-transaction? I assume you can unlock the combos through gameplay eventually like in the previous game?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Digital Foundry on Eurogamer have looked at the performance of the 360 version.

Apparently, it compares very well with the Current-Gen version. They very cleverly took out stuff that they knew was unnecessarily taxing to the hardware like TressFX which makes Lara's hair look nicer.

The core game is very much intact and could be a viable option to those who don't want to wait for PC or PS4 versions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Digital Foundry on Eurogamer have looked at the performance of the 360 version.

Apparently, it compares very well with the Current-Gen version. They very cleverly took out stuff that they knew was unnecessarily taxing to the hardware like TressFX which makes Lara's hair look nicer.

The core game is very much intact and could be a viable option to those who don't want to wait for PC or PS4 versions.

I'm going to pick it up on the 360. While there are slight graphical differences I think it looks excellent overall. Comparing the 2 versions is like comparing a C64 and Amstrad game as opposed to comparing a C64 and Amiga game. Kudos to the developer (Nixxes I believe).

Somnus wrote: »
    How does that work? Is it an optional micro-transaction? I assume you can unlock the combos through gameplay eventually like in the previous game?

From what I have seen it is optional, it seems like you can build up points to get them in game too but I just hate the fact they have added these into the game. I think it is becoming far too common now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

There's really nothing wrong with how they have implemented Micro-Transactions in this instance.

You're complaining about something you haven't fully investigated.

It has ABSOLUTELY no bearing on the main campaign in any way, shape or form.

It's there for people who want to Twitch Stream, Replay missions with modifiers etc.
    You can unlock a TONNE of these modifiers by just playing single player for free (I have, but I'm not bothering with the game mode that uses them)

Put the pitchforks down

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I'm just glad some people stopped rabbiting on about a game like destiny tbh and started playing something else. Destiny is just rehashed same thing over and over

Tomb raider looks fantastic dlc is optional

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Thus far I'm enjoying what I've played of the campaign in Tomb Raider, got about 20%+ completion in 5 hours. There's no need to spend more money on Micro-trasactions if you're a One-and-Done kind of Single Player

• Advertisement

There's really nothing wrong with how they have implemented Micro-Transactions in this instance.

In your opinion Mr.Destiny, sorry Cormac I mean. I think they shouldn't be there at all but I am still enjoying the game as I clearly stated.
    You're complaining about something you haven't fully investigated.

I don't need to fully investigate it, I don't like that its there at all even if it is only optional, again my opinion
    It has ABSOLUTELY no bearing on the main campaign in any way, shape or form.

I am enjoying the campaign very much but don't like that these were included in a TR game, again, I thought I was clear on that.
    Put the pitchforks down

Lol, because there is 1 aspect of the game I don't like even though it is only optional, I still feel disappointed they brought that crap into the game but then again you are quite happy to pay 45 to 50 euro for dlc so not surprised it wouldn't bother you ;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don't know where all these little personal digs are coming from, but no more of it please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

love this game some thoughts

love the fact that its a single player campaign and not a huge endless open world like almost every game this year.

TRs idea of the mini hubs/maps are perfect

metal gear should have tried something liked that instead IMO

also like the fact that theres more to upgrading and collecting bows

at 30% now but i wanna explore everything in this game lara is a dream to control.

its a shame the majority cant play this atm by the time next year rolls around the feeling by gamers could be meh its an old game
    hope im wrong and it kicks ass on ps4

its defo gonna be my GOTY

Got another hour and a bit in tonight, story really kicks off about 20% in and starting to get some nicer gear and unlocks now.
    Have to agree the map layouts are very well done and im loving exploring. It doesnt feel like such a chore looking for loot, etc, and I think I am going to enjoy working my way through the achievements.
    I am playing at the second highest difficulty first time round but will defo play through again on the highest difficulty.

I am finding myself more looking forward to coming home and having a game of this than Fallout 4, its just drawing me in more.

Still waiting on my copy from amazon but they really did pick a bad week to release this, I'm playing fallout 4 and most are. Sales in the UK 63k vs 482k for fallout 4 according to sales charts. http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-22650-UK-Retail-Charts--Fallout-4-Soars-While-Rise-of-the-Tomb-Raider-Struggles.html

Almost 7/1 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It was idiotic. When they announced the release date at e3 it was foolish then and it's foolish now. The problem is, SquareEnix will now lament the lack of sales and think its a problem with the franchise. It isnt.

I mean how thick can you be? You dont premier your movie opposite star wars unless you want to get creamed. The move industry knows this. The gaming industry needs to learn and not let ego get in the way of good business practice. They could have waited 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Still waiting on my copy from amazon but they really did pick a bad week to release this, I'm playing fallout 4 and most are. Sales in the UK 63k vs 482k for fallout 4 according to sales charts. http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-22650-UK-Retail-Charts--Fallout-4-Soars-While-Rise-of-the-Tomb-Raider-Struggles.html

remember though fallout released on tuesday and rise only on the friday less days of sales and right before a weekend.

hopfully rise will have legs longterm please god because I want another one of these games.

• Still waiting on my copy from amazon but they really did pick a bad week to release this, I'm playing fallout 4 and most are. Sales in the UK 63k vs 482k for fallout 4 according to sales charts. http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-22650-UK-Retail-Charts--Fallout-4-Soars-While-Rise-of-the-Tomb-Raider-Struggles.html

Agree with Kirby here, what did they expect?? Anyone with a brain would have spotted this happening considering Fallout 4 launching at the same time.

It's good news for me because I will pick it up on the cheap closer to Xmas (second hand or something) but not good news for the franchise or the developers :(

Publishers solely to blame here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Plus no PC/PS4 release. I will get the game when it's released on PC!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Agree with Kirby here, what did they expect?? Anyone with a brain would have spotted this happening considering Fallout 4 launching at the same time.

It's good news for me because I will pick it up on the cheap closer to Xmas (second hand or something) but not good news for the franchise or the developers :(

Publishers solely to blame here
    Publishers are like headless chickens when they go after that Christmas dollar. I am confident that they will still have great sales, just not initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Is Lara still a murderous psychopath?

It really put me off from the previous reboot.
    I'd rather not murder a whole platoon of faceless goons, thank you very much.

• K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Is Lara still a murderous psychopath?

It really put me off from the previous reboot.
    I'd rather not murder a whole platoon of faceless goons, thank you very much.

And Nathen Drake isn't??

It's a game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    And Nathen Drake isn't??

It's a game!!
    There's a big difference in how they handle it between the two games though.

Note: it's still a problem for Nathan Drake, you murder legions of men in those games and it's a bit nuts.

But in Tomb Raider, they made a big deal about those first kills, of both the deer and the first person she murders, where she breaks down crying, trys to suggest how emotionally trying this must be. From there she quickly turns into a gun toting, stealth killing, bear grylls eating badass.
    It invalidates the short scene before it & the themes they marketed.
    Even in the announce trailer for this one, they suggested that Lara was going through counselling over the things she'd done and been through.

The above is partly why I "enjoy" the Last of Us the most of the three. It's clear in the game how kind of ****ed up Joel, and almost everyone else is.

Also, "it's a game!", that's not a great reason for narrative inconsistency. A commonplace one, but games in general are trying to be better about this and are open to criticism when they don't succeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah the discrepancy between the opening hour or so of Tomb Raider and what followed was a huge disappointment to me. The survival aspect and a sense of legitimate danger were emphasised before the game collapsed into just another endless, mindless, tension-free shooting gallery.

I absolutely think the same problem applies to Uncharted, and the dissonance between Nathan Drake the character and Nathan Drake the player-controlled murderer has only become more obvious as the series has progressed (thankfully far less pronounced in the last of us). The constant combat is lazy design, whatever the game.

However, I'm more willing to at least partially forgive Uncharted given the more inherently pulpy, cartoonish vibe of the series - it's still a problem, but one I'm happier to forget during the knowingly outrageous blockbuster setpieces. Tomb Raider - even within the game itself - promised a game that was more serious-minded and if not 'grounded' then at least considerably less gun-ho. But the promising mechanics and more human psychology of Lara were all abandoned in favour of waves upon waves of grunts. They were potentially on to something during that sequence where Lara actually got injured, a moment when the outlandish gauntlet she was running through had some discernable consequences - but alas it lasted for a few minutes before a cutscene nonchalantly remedied it :(

biggebruv wrote: »

love the fact that its a single player campaign and not a huge endless open world like almost every game this year.

TRs idea of the mini hubs/maps are perfect

Agreed, this is exactly the kind of thing I'd be into at the minute. I don't get anywhere as much time to play games as I used to, and with Witcher 3 earlier this year, I'd prefer a slightly more focused/linear game before moving on to Fallout 4. Would have picked it up by now if not for the delayed PC release

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'll probably pick it up then.

Anyone here finish it? Would be interested to hear someones personal opinion. Metacritic seems decent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder what the specs will be

• She got me my Xmas pressie :)

Looking forward to getting stuck into this during the holidays.

• Advertisement

FInally got a copy , and finished it.

I thoroughly enjoyed that :)

Ok she's a kill crazy psycho now, but that has to be the first triple A in a while I thought had little or no padding to it. It has a lot of collectibles but those didn't feel like a chore and most were on the way to somewhere. I would like it to be all tombs next time and much harder puzzles but i fear those days are long behind us.

A special mention to how they went about having no HUD in the game unless you were aiming a weapon, this need to be copied wholesale by other games.

Advertisement