Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

Ok, I thought I'd just chime in on the Street Fighter stuff.

I'm the local Street Fighter tournament streamer so I've a wee bit more knowledge on this than the average (and have in the past had some chats with capcom employees). Just to clear some stuff up:

Yup. Not only will it generate initial sales, it means the SF community will probably not migrate to another console when the inevitable rebalance emerges.

There is already a large PC community for SF4, no reason why there won't be for SF5. I currently have USF4 for steam, xbox360, and PS4. The big thing here is that this will make PS4 the defacto tournament standard for Street Fighter V tourneys. That means a large number of people and organisations will want to be on it.

It made the decision for me and I went out and bought one immediately. Currently drilling Guilty Gear on a PS pad. Can't wait to get a new TE stick for PS4.

As I said above, it will make PS4 the defacto tournament platform for most large scale FG tournaments. It's not going to win a console war, but it WILL sell consoles.

5:

Street Fighter 4
    Super SF4
    SSF4(Arcade Edition)
    SSF4 ver. 2012
    Ultra SF4

There is a final rebalance of USF4 coming out shortly with 2 new rebalances (one, called Omega mode, with the characters all "powered up") coming out. It's a free patch for people who've bought Ultra but apparently the disc release is exclusively for PS4 too. Making it all the more enticing for SF fans to trade up.

For those who like to moan about the multiple releases: please don't, they're not for you. Competitive players need the game rebalanced every year to 18 months as the game gets exploited. They're welcomed and torn apart all over again by them :)

EDIT: Actually, you're right- 2012 was never sold as a separate release, despite being considered a seperate game from Arcade Edition by the community.

SF I suspect would have a following many, many times the size of KI. Even in the States where KI is most popular it's somewhere down the mid card of tournaments. In Ireland I can think of 3 people I know in a community of a couple of hundred that shelled out for KI. That said yeah it's obviously not on the level of Unchartered.

The damage will already be done for Street Fighter fans- especially competitive ones- as the community will chose PS4 because they'll need to be playing as early as possible in order to keep up.

Also Sony are involved in the development. It's quite possible that SF might not appear on Xbox this generation.

Sorry for the side track, just wanted to chime in as someone who's part of the scene :)

Yeah I might of bought a ps4 and mod my stick to play with friends that did not have a PC, cross platfrom play means I don't have to, if you already have a PC why did you run out and buy a PS4?

The best thing about when we do sf nights at mine and PC houses is we can use what ever input we want, for some reason some of my friends like 360 pads to play and it's always a hassle when we go to ps3 house or a 360 house.

I cannot see a reason for anyone with a PC to get the ps4 version, hell my friends are asking about getting a cheap pc just for sf5 to stick under the telly instead as it will be better for when we all come over and people won't need to mod sticks unless they want to do local comps.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

anonyanony wrote: »
    Yeah I might of bought a ps4 and mod my stick to play with friends that did not have a PC, cross platfrom play means I don't have to, if you already have a PC why did you run out and buy a PS4?

The best thing about when we do sf nights at mine and PC houses is we can use what ever input we want, for some reason some of my friends like 360 pads to play and it's always a hassle when we go to ps3 house or a 360 house.

I cannot see a reason for anyone with a PC to get the ps4 version, hell my friends are asking about getting a cheap pc just for sf5 to stick under the telly instead as it will be better for when we all come over and people won't need to mod sticks unless they want to do local comps.

I already play SF4 on PC, but at tournaments it's always, always on 360. So much so that I have a bag full of streaming gear with a spare 360 loaded with fighting games in it!

The easiest way to ensure a standard experience is to make sure everyone uses the same platform, and that that platform is not open to modding , differing frame rates etc. When there's an argument over whether Dee Jay's rolling sobat works better as 3 frame with a hitbox or 4 frame with invincibility, locking solid at 720p 60fps is VERY important.

Also, people often bring their own devices along to tournaments- more chance of someone lugging a PS4 than a PC :)

I'm not saying everyone SHOULD run out and buy a PS4 for SF5, you're right it simply doesn't make sense for everyone, but the narrative casual players will hear from the competitive is this: If you want to play SFV properly, you're going to need to get yourself a PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Benzino wrote: »
    Just out of interest, have you played Uncharted before?

Yep. All 3. Personally found Tomb Raider more enjoyable to play. May just be because Uncharted 3 is fresher in my mind, but Tomb Raider didn't annoy me as much the desert part in Uncharted 3. Too often you'd go from quiet levels to loads of bad guys at once, and in a sandstorm where they can all see you with sniper rifiles and grenade launchers and you can't see them, it was just annoying. Had to pretty much cheat to get past that part.

Also, Tomb Raider had more freedom and didn't feel like you were just playing cutscene to cutscene.

Though like I said, that may just be because 3 is fresher in my mind so may go back and replay 2.

But I wouldn't complain if Naughty Dog played Tomb Raider and improved Uncharted 4 based on that.

Like I said, that's in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

Uncharted 2 was one of the best games I've ever played. Absolutely loved it...really liked number 3 aswell depite the bad press it gets. I loved the last tomb raider also I got it on sale and replayed it on PS4 and it looked fantastic. I did think it borrowed a lot from uncharted but really like both games.

Pity RotTR is going to be exclusive as I only have PS4 and I doubt i'll buy an Xbone just to play it

jones wrote: »
    Uncharted 2 was one of the best games I've ever played. Absolutely loved it...really liked number 3 aswell depite the bad press it gets. I loved the last tomb raider also I got it on sale and replayed it on PS4 and it looked fantastic. I did think it borrowed a lot from uncharted but really like both games.

Pity RotTR is going to be exclusive as I only have PS4 and I doubt i'll buy an Xbone just to play it

Was unchartered 2 that much better then one I found one to be boring cutsense to cutsense gameplay, my ps3 had ylod by when two came out and saw no reason to rebuy a ps3 as I had finished mgs4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Was unchartered 2 that much better then one I found one to be boring cutsense to cutsense gameplay, my ps3 had ylod by when two came out and saw no reason to rebuy a ps3 as I had finished mgs4.

It's significantly better.

Honestly one of the best games of the generation.

tok9 wrote: »
    It's significantly better.

Honestly one of the best games of the generation.

How did you feel about the first one, to me it was a 6/10 meh but playable I guess because of it I never felt I missed out on two or three. Thing was I usually love Amy Hennig games and soul reaver series where some of my favourite games in my teens. Her going from 4 would actually on the back foot even if I had played the rest of the series, who know I might pick up a cfw ps3 and give them a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The first game would be my least favourite of all the Uncharted (including the Vita game).

I haven't played it in ages now but I remember thinking it looked pretty for the time and was a solid game but not much more than that.

tok9 wrote: »
    The first game would be my least favourite of all the Uncharted (including the Vita game).

I haven't played it in ages now but I remember thinking it looked pretty for the time and was a solid game but not much more than that.

Might look in a cheap ps3 so wanted to replay mgs4 before 5 came out anyway, I give them a try and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-tablets/c-747/playstation-4/p-6592/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-ps4/

Smyths are taking pre orders for ps4 version of this.. I wonder will sonybthrow a spanner in Microsoft works yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Might look in a cheap ps3 so wanted to replay mgs4 before 5 came out anyway, I give them a try and see.

It's MGS 3 and Peace Walker that you will want to have fresh in your mind for MGS 5.

MGS4 has nothing to do with the events that happen in MGS5. It will just fill in gaps for the games set later in the time line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

IGN wrote:
    The company(Square Enix) has confirmed the PC version of the game will arrive in "early 2016", while console exclusivity will last for a year. This means Rise of the Tomb Raider won't land on PS4 until "Holiday 2016", as the Xbox One and Xbox 360 versions are due for release on November 10, 2015.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/07/23/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-gets-ps4-and-pc-release-dates

So a 1yr console exclusive. They really made us wait a long time just to find that out :P

Looking forward to playing it in a few months time. I really liked the last Tomb Raider game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

If only this information had been provided by someone working in the industry 7 months ago!
    COYVB wrote: »
    It's being released on PS4
    COYVB wrote: »
    And the game itself is a timed exclusive for Xbox One, after which it will be released, published by Squenix, on PS4. Re the publishing thing, from Squenix statement:

"Yes, Microsoft will be publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox"

Note the very important last 2 words.

If only this information had been provided by someone working in the industry 7 months ago!

ehhh, we all knew that lol.

What we didn't know was when it would be released on PS4.

Nice 2nd account COYVB btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I was anticipating 6 months. I'll pick it up when it drops in price in early 2017.

It's Xbox release is going to be pushed back. It's coming out the same day as Fallout.

Luckily I have Fallout as mentioned to play, Uncharted collection in October and then Uncharted 4 in Q1 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Keno wrote: »
    Luckily I have Fallout as mentioned to play, Uncharted collection in October and then Uncharted 4 in Q1 2016.

Who are you kidding, you will still be playing Rocket League!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 I should coco!

Looking forward to this title and don't mind the one year delay.

Only getting back into gaming so I've tons to get through until then.

I'm so far behind I've just ordered Alien: isolation and Tomb Raider. Can't wait to play them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Does anyone know if there will be any Collectors/Special editions of Rise of the Tomb Raider?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there will be any Collectors/Special editions of Rise of the Tomb Raider?

I don't know if it's been announced but there will almost certainly will be, probably several.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,683 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Big Head Mode - and other modifiers, such as bonus damage to animals, or setting enemies on fire with melee attacks – occurs outside the single-player campaign by way of Expedition Cards. You earn these cards by playing through Rise of the Tomb Raider and earning credits, which can then be used to purchase card packs. There will be 300 cards total at launch, with more available over time.

Tomb Raider: Ultimate Team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I hope the microtransactions and DLC contain more opportunities for Lara to murder hundreds of people, because if there's one thing the reboot struggled to fully articulate it was just how many hundreds of people Lara killed throughout the course of the game.

Ahem.

I hope the microtransactions and DLC contain more opportunities for Lara to murder hundreds of people, because if there's one thing the reboot struggled to fully articulate it was just how many hundreds of people Lara killed throughout the course of the game.

Ahem.
    It was exceptional circumstances lol

Can't wait to pick this up. The reboot was fantastic. Seems like a decent length campaign which will be great for some Xbox Christmas gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Square is at it again. You'd think they'd have some sense after Deus Ex.

As long as they don't slice up the campaign into dlc like Destiny I am happy.

Seems like a very decent campaign length which is great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd still count the reboot as among the most misguided games I've ever played. I hate to use the word 'pretentious', because it has become so over and misused, but Tomb Raider was pretentious - it spent its first hour indicating that it was going to overcome and explore the inherent contradictions you see in the likes of Uncharted, and then aggressively did no such thing. In fact, by explicitly highlighting the game that it could have been with a bit more bravery and imagination, it made the mindless AAA spectacle and shoot 'em up that followed even more dulling. Early indicators suggest this could be even worse in favouring bland combat above all else. I'd love if that's not the case.

I quite enjoyed the pre-reboot modern Tomb Raiders - they had no
    Illusions of being anything other than they were, modest, old fashioned adventures (there's a great retrospective on Legend in this month's Edge). I look forward to the surely inevitable deboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I loved the reboot and am so sad ps4 has to wait a year

so sad that in fact id consider getting the xbone to play it

any good bundles around?

i would not just get this either id get dead rising 3 another xbone game id love to play

i seen a fifa bundle in argos for 319euros now if rise had a bundle like that id jump on it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

biggebruv wrote: »
    I loved the reboot and am so sad ps4 has to wait a year

so sad that in fact id consider getting the xbone to play it

any good bundles around?

i would not just get this either id get dead rising 3 another xbone game id love to play

i seen a fifa bundle in argos for 319euros now if rise had a bundle like that id jump on it

Keep looking in Argos, they're generally considered the best. It will be available in bundle form, with both Xbox One tomb raider games.

tomb-raider-bundle.png?w=780

You can also keep an eye on the Xbox Bargains Alert thread, any good deals will definitely pop up in there.

• In case you hadn't noticed (LOL FALLOUT 4)
    This has been released on X1 also.

Reviews are Up & Getting High Scores:
    Gamespot 9/10
    IGN 9/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    In case you hadn't noticed (LOL FALLOUT 4)
    This has been released on X1 also.

Reviews are Up & Getting High Scores:
    Gamespot 9/10
    IGN 9/10

screw fallout 4 i bought an xbox to play this game loved the 1st one brillent action adventure game .

btw i dont mean fallout will be crap i just mean im getting rise day 1 over fallout 4

Advertisement