Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭jones

Was already on offer, was the first deal

Dammit!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Captured this screenshot earlier which I think really encapsulates the essence of the new Tomb Raider games

20161218220544_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

-18 Degrees you say?

Don't mind if I just unzip my jacket a bit here and let the girls breath

For those on the pro on 1080p which option did you use? I'm flicking between 4k and enhanced visuals

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Forgot how obsessed the original was with collectables, this is no different. Suppose I'm not really complaining since I do enjoy checking everything off the list and it gives you a reason to search around the environments.

• Advertisement

About half way through this after the christmas binge. Absolutely love it. Graphics are incredible i'm using it on the 4k setting on my 1080p plasma and its razorsharp.

Highly recommended for anyone with the pro especially for the price it is at the moment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have to admit I pretty much hated this game.

It is a manifestation of modern AAA gaming's obsession with 'stuff'. You're rarely in want of stuff to do in RotTR, but so much of it is utterly monotonous busywork. Sub-missions tend to just have you doing the same thing yet again in barely changed locations (the crypts in particular) The mechanics fail to meaningfully evolve or truly mix up gameplay. The good tricks it has tend to be repeated several times, dulling their impact. The survival elements are half-baked at best; the combat mind-numbing; and the game just constantly lacks that spark that would allow it to overcome its own mediocrity. The quasi open world kills any sense of pace. If you've ever wondered just what that strange quality about the Uncharted series is that puts it above the crowd - even when it succumbs to similar failings - just compare the dreadful story and characterisation here to a Nathan Drake adventure.

It looks good on PC at least, and there's a bit of imagination in the optional and brief puzzle tombs to distract from the monotony of the core adventure. But that's not enough to save this game. It's confused, overstuffed and familiar. I've long had a fondness for this series - I do enjoy the games when they focus on pure tomb raiding. But this doubles down on the mistakes of the 'reboot', losing the series' identity in favour of hitting a checklist of AAA tropes. That there's every so often brief hints of the Tomb Raider that worked not so long ago (as recently as last generation, in fact) makes it all the more of a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I also didn't like it. And I loved the first reboot. I just found this didn't have any of the character or cinematics of the first one. Don't get me wrong, it looked great, but it felt just like another 'next gen action template' in use here.

The only thing I liked about it was the Tombs, and there wasn't enough of them nor were they challenging enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I loved it......then again I wasn't a fan of the first ones.

The tombs are my favourite part about the game and there seems to be more of them then there was in the first one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I got stuck into this game this evening after being away from it for quite some time. The last time I played it I had arrived at Geothermal Valley and collected a fair few collectibles and just stopped playing it and I am glad I went back to it as it is pretty fun. I have most areas 100% so far except the soviet installation as I have one or two collectibles to collect that were not accessible during play through or even going back to it from a camp site. I was so frustrated with trying to gain access to where they are I looked up a guide and it said you go back to that area later in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I am glad I went back to it as it is pretty fun. I have most areas 100% so far except the soviet installation as I have one or two collectibles to collect that were not accessible during play through or even going back to it from a camp site

In fairness the gameplay and combat is magnificent and the crafting is more fun than the uncharted pickup random weapons as you go. The rebooted Lara makes for a much better game. Your better off waiting till you complete the game and then you can go back for the collectables. I went back to it on sunday and played the blood ties dlc that came with the ps4 game.. it was cool to finally learn what happend to Laras mother

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Greyfox wrote: »
    In fairness the gameplay and combat is magnificent and the crafting is more fun than the uncharted pickup random weapons as you go. The rebooted Lara makes for a much better game. Your better off waiting till you complete the game and then you can go back for the collectables. I went back to it on sunday and played the blood ties dlc that came with the ps4 game.. it was cool to finally learn what happend to Laras mother

I have been playing it all evening since about 6 pm until about 20 mins ago. I have 100% the DLC where you go crazy with the flowers. I really enjoyed that DLC. I will most likely play the others after I finish the game.

Advertisement