Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Options
  • 12-08-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭

EDIT: Now confirmed this is just a timed exclusive for Xbox One and will eventually be coming to PS4 (also possibly last gen consoles too). I still love you Tomb Raider, don't scare me like that again ok? x
    Dear Tomb Raider Community,
    As you may have seen, we’ve just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox. We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal. I’d like to give you some insight into this decision, and why we feel this is the very best thing for the Tomb Raider sequel we’re creating at the studio.
    Tomb Raider in 2013 was a success due in large part to your continued support. Our goal has always been to deliver something truly special with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Today’s announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming. Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.
    This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.
    We know that there are probably many more questions and concerns. Please do send them to us, and we’ll answer to the best of our ability. Meanwhile we’re going all out to try and make something truly special - the most ambitious Tomb Raider game ever built.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gallagher
    Crystal Dynamics Head of Studios

3257170+_7a3cb3670eb0c0c1b7f6326a5279ae98.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

How to cope with Tomb Raider X-Box One Exclusivity in 3 easy steps:
    • Read Article
    • Play Uncharted Series
    • Be Happy
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Excellent scoop by MS. Gotta give MS respect, they are fighting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,348 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Excellent scoop by MS. Gotta give MS respect, they are fighting back.

Agreed. In fairness to them, Tomb Raider is a big name and for it to become exclusive to Xbox, considering its deep roots with Playstation, is a hell of a move. Didn't see it coming at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don't have much interest in this game, thought the first massively squandered its potential in favour of mindless blockbuster thrills and turning Lara into an invincible superhero. There's potential in a sequel, but the developers need to trust themselves far more than they did first time around and expand on the survival / exploration mechanics and more grounded tone they teased in the opening sections of the first game. Actually much more interested in Temple of Osiris, as its predecessor was a whole lot of fun, and a smarter upgrade of the tone and gameplay of the original titles in the series.

That said, very interesting to see a major franchise go exclusive, given the last console generation saw so many existing third party properties go multi-platform - a situation I would have imagined was dictated more by financial necessity than particular fondness for the hardware. Microsoft obviously made a very generous offer indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

sheehy83 wrote: »
    This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.
    Darrell Gallagher
    Crystal Dynamics Head of Studios

How I picture Darrell's reaction for the fans...

81747-Woody-Harrelson-wiping-tears-w-pcKl.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've still not played the first one, but it's surprising to see it go exclusive. The last thing we want it more games going back to console exclusives.

dr-nick-meme-generator-the-most-rewarding-part-was-when-they-gave-me-my-money-952024.png

That's what i read after seeing their statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

It seems to me xbox people prefer shooters, halo, titanfall, destiny, and 1. call of duty.

I see story driven games more on Playstation. I don't see huge % of xbox owners be very interested in Tomb Raider.

I guess Call of duty exclusive dlc would be more popular than Tomb Raider exclusivity for xbox owners.

198321 wrote: »
    I don't see huge % of xbox owners be very interested in Tomb Raider.

Oh they'll become very interested in it all of a sudden now :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Is Tomb Raider still the big 'event' game that it was? Not being smart, I genuinely have no idea how the last one did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Is Tomb Raider still the big 'event' game that it was? Not being smart, I genuinely have no idea how the last one did.

I don't even know why I'm so pi$$ed off about it, I didn't really enjoy the last game and just cleared it as fast as I could and traded it. The trailer for the new one looks very interesting but would be crap if they kept the same format as the first one without some changes. It is a AAA release so it will be treated big but will never reach Uncharted heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

FFS. I hate exclusives. Can't we all just get along?

The last one was fantastic. I say that as someone who really doesn't like the series at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

4-5 mill units not back given the series went through the ****ter

I dont understand how people are blaming Crystal Dynamics though they're only the devs square made this decision

.ak wrote: »
    The last one was good if you have played Uncharted, it was fantastic great if you've never played Uncharted

FYP :P

Ah I dunno. I've played them both and I'd stick by what I said. Considering how bad the series was they did an absolutely fantastic job of rebranding it, even if they did lift a lot from Uncharted.

NTMK wrote: »
    4-5 mill units not back given the series went through the ****ter

I dont understand how people are blaming Crystal Dynamics though they're only the devs square made this decision

Well from the letter it sounds as if head of Crystal Dynamics is taking responsibility for it, we might never find out what is actually going on in the background. Plus, I don't like being mad at Square since they revived Sleeping Dogs when Activision canned it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Just reading somewhere it should be rembranded as
    Fall of the Tomb Raider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Well from the letter it sounds as if head of Crystal Dynamics is taking responsibility for it, we might never find out what is actually going on in the background. Plus, I don't like being mad at Square since they revived Sleeping Dogs when Activision canned it :)

Square own the rights to tomb raider and CD themselves, they made the call a dev (esp a dev with a pub parent) can make that call unless they own the IP.

and when has a publisher own up to this kind of ****

Square are shiitbags for continuing to release ****e FF games :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Plenty more fish in the sea. Your loss, Lara.

Ya bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Bout time the X1 got a decent exclusive, still won't make me buy one though, if my boys get one I'll play that on it.... :)

NTMK wrote: »
    Square are shiitbags for continuing to release ****e FF games :p

Yeah still waiting for Final Fantasy VII remake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Exclusive bollocks. Can't see it making me rush out for XB1 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

So not only do Square have gone so far up their arse they can't make a decent game, they also fail at being a decent publisher.

Either that or this is the whole FFVII fiasco of Squaresoft moving mainline FINAL FANTASY from Nintendo to Sony in the 90's, again.

TR 2013 sold like 4 million copies and was a disappointment to Square, soooooo lets release the sequel exclusively on the Xbone, the system with the smallest user base. Logic.

Man this company, I'm never NOT shocked by the levels of stupidity they show.

Still though what an ODD choice for MS to buy, it doesn't scream system seller or feel like it fits with XBOX One image.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Adamantium wrote: »
    TR 2013 sold like 4 million copies and was a disappointment to Square, soooooo lets release the sequel exclusively on the Xbone, the system with the smallest user base. Logic.

Man this company, I'm never NOT shocked by the levels of stupidity they show.
    In that case wouldn't the logical conclusion be that MS paid so much for exclusivity that Square deemed it in their financial interest to go with them? Doubly so if they were to factor in the additional savings made from not being multi-platform.

Sidenote, the game eventually hit Square's retail expectations, at least in terms of unit sales, by January of this year.
    Adamantium wrote: »
    Still though what an ODD choice for MS to buy, it doesn't scream system seller or feel like it fits with XBOX One image.
    If anyone could be accused of making a poor decision here then yes, I'd agree it's MS. Then again, they still seem to refuse to follow in Sony's footsteps and invest in an actual studio to develop titles for them, instead preferring to shelling out on platform exclusivity, whether it's wholly or via specific content. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Keighley's tweet is a pretty strong indication that it's a timed exclusive. Square's decision makes even more sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

gizmo wrote: »
    Keighley's tweet is a pretty strong indication that it's a timed exclusive. Square's decision makes even more sense now.

They probably are saying its exclusive for the time being and then by 2016 they will announce it for PS4 and PC. Look at Mass Effect that was Xbox exclusive and then after a few years it was released on PS3. It really needs to be clarified if its timed exclusive or not. From twitter
    Square Enix official statement:
    "Coming holiday 2015, ROTTR is exclusively on Xbox - we have no further comment to make at this time."

• Advertisement

They probably are saying its exclusive for the time being and then by 2016 they will announce it for PS4 and PC. Look at Mass Effect that was Xbox exclusive and then after a few years it was released on PS3. It really needs to be clarified if its timed exclusive or not. From twitter
    Yep on the first point, probably launch it on PS4 and PC with additional content and a tagline.

Mass Effect was slightly different though as that was a game published by Microsoft Games Studios but Bioware retained the IP. Then when Bioware were acquired by EA they would have been able to go multi-platform.

Advertisement