Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

FInally got a copy , and finished it.

I thoroughly enjoyed that :)

Ok she's a kill crazy psycho now, but that has to be the first triple A in a while I thought had little or no padding to it. It has a lot of collectibles but those didn't feel like a chore and most were on the way to somewhere. I would like it to be all tombs next time and much harder puzzles but i fear those days are long behind us.

A special mention to how they went about having no HUD in the game unless you were aiming a weapon, this need to be copied wholesale by other games.

I think alot of stuff gets overlooked from this game

people disagree with me because "its lara croft thats soooo 90s" "girly" :P

after having finished fallout the other day this game beats it in every way for me im gonna go for another round of rise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'm playing it, it's grand but just trying to get it finished now and move on. A couple of the tombs were pretty good. Makes me harken for the days of the tricky puzzles in prince of persia trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

sweetie wrote: »
    I'm playing it, it's grand but just trying to get it finished now and move on. A couple of the tombs were pretty good. Makes me harken for the days of the tricky puzzles in prince of persia trilogy.

Funnily enough my OH is playing the PS3 Original on of the Prince of Persia games, seems to have not aged terribly and looks pretty good, totally passed me by.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Funnily enough my OH is playing the PS3 Original on of the Prince of Persia games, seems to have not aged terribly and looks pretty good, totally passed me by.

Probably my favourite games from that generation...the hd remaster does be very cheap on ps store from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sorry to keep off topic, but if you like those Prince of Persia games and have access to a Wii, the Wii version of Forgotten Sands is brilliant and is a completely different game and story than the PS3 and 360 versions. I played both versions and much prefer the Wii version.

On topic, I see the minimum specs for Rise for PC were released

Minimum OS: Windows 7 64bit
    Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 or AMD equivalent
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX 650 2GB or AMD HD7770 2GB
    RAM: 6GB
    HD Space: 25GB
    DirectX: DirectX 11
    Input: Mouse + Keyboard

Taken from neogaf.
    Probably still have to wait for PS4 myself

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Sorry to keep off topic, but if you like those Prince of Persia games and have access to a Wii, the Wii version of Forgotten Sands is brilliant and is a completely different game and story than the PS3 and 360 versions. I played both versions and much prefer the Wii version.

yes, I have it and loved it! It may have been me who pointed you towards it on the wii forum, I was always mentioning it. The latter POP games weren't as good as the ps2/xbox era ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I first heard about it being different from ign's review and I'm always going on about it in the Nintendo forums as well when people ask for Wii games to play or elsewhere when people say they like the PoP games. I liked the 2008 one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Cormac... wrote: »

PoP is generally seen as the precursor to the Assassins Creed series, as effectively Ubi had lost the PoP licence from Jordan Mechner at that stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Fieldog wrote: »
    PoP is generally seen as the precursor to the Assassins Creed series, as effectively Ubi had lost the PoP licence from Jordan Mechner at that stage...

Sorry to keep this off topic. I have heard that Ubisoft re-worked a game called "POP: Assassins" into the first Assassins Creed (presumably for lisencing reasons?)

Anyway, iv'e a 360 and not really in a rush to upgrade. Is there much difference between the 7th gen and 8th gen versions of RotTR?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Anyway, iv'e a 360 and not really in a rush to upgrade. Is there much difference between the 7th gen and 8th gen versions of RotTR?

From what I've seen, the 360 version looks very solid beside it's big brother :

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    From what I've seen, the 360 version looks very solid beside it's big brother :

Wow they did some job with that on 360

• Registered Users Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I started playing this last night and what a fantastic game it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Whats the story with QTE's in this? I'd preorder it on pc straight away if i knew it didnt have the same crap it had in the last game with the wolf and the parachute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just a quick question, I've played through the first two sections and have hit the first campsite - is there a lot of busywork in terms of crafting, collecting caches, learning languages etc?

I don't mind if there is, the game looks incredible on xb1, just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭rizzla

Whats the story with QTE's in this? I'd preorder it on pc straight away if i knew it didnt have the same crap it had in the last game with the wolf and the parachute :D

Not nearly as many as the first but they are still there. Only half way through though.

It's such an amazing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Just a quick question, I've played through the first two sections and have hit the first campsite - is there a lot of busywork in terms of crafting, collecting caches, learning languages etc?

there is alot of stuff to collect but you dont have to worry about collecting them imo just pick up stuff you find along your path and you have enough to upgrade lara to make it through the game.

the only must have collectables imo is the stronghold boxes and theres only like 3 of those in each area and obviously the optional tombs were are fun to do if they brought like a dlc with 10 of those i would buy it

If you are going got 1000gs with this the collectibles are not really a chore VS other games. Only thing I would suggest is to leave the challenges until you can do them in one go as it can be a pain to work out which parts you have already picked up and which ones you need if using guides / videos for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yup, expect to find stuff you won't be able to do until later due to the usual of missing gear plus not being proficient enough in a language.

Got it myself on Thursday from the US store, just before the sale ended after Zavvi refunded my copy as it went awol.

I finished playing the main storyline a few days ago and it is one of the best games I have ever played.

I'm finding the 'Rotisserie' achievement is a right pain in the ass to unlock.

• Advertisement

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I'm finding the 'Rotisserie' achievement is a right pain in the ass to unlock.

Yeah if you are just throwing it in the air and trying to aim its tough, if you are at the village camp fire spawn, there is a tree right beside it with no branches, aim the chicken at the top of it and you should get it 1st try , definitely on the second.

Failing that throw it at one of the several small hills there and shoot as it rolls down and it will still count.

Has anyone found glitched challenges in the game? I have at the Soviet Installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Has anyone found glitched challenges in the game? I have at the Soviet Installation.

Not in the Xbox version. Which challenge is glitched. The flags, the posters, the laptops or the caves?

Not in the Xbox version. Which challenge is glitched. The flags, the posters, the laptops or the caves?

The flags. Only six of the seven flag poles had flags. I have 99% of the area completed and that missing flag is costing me 100% completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

So bought this today on PC. In two hours have already had 3 crash to desktops :( Gonna see if there a new gfx driver for it.

Apart from that the game so far looks and plays good :)

The flags. Only six of the seven flag poles had flags. I have 99% of the area completed and that missing flag is costing me 100% completion.

Not heard of that one in terms of bugs, you following a youtube video/guide for it ? Might be worth a run through them again to double check them.

Not heard of that one in terms of bugs, you following a youtube video/guide for it ? Might be worth a run through them again to double check them.

I took a look at clips on YouTube and all the seven flag poles in them had flags flapping at the top of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

Another bug on the pc. Don't think I'd spoil anything by saying that the raft in the ancient cistern tomb challenge is upside down meaning I can't progress. Annoying :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

BKtje wrote: »
    Another bug on the pc. Don't think I'd spoil anything by saying that the raft in the ancient cistern tomb challenge is upside down meaning I can't progress. Annoying :p

fcukin hours on that last night, it's do-able but it's glitchy as anything

aside from that, the game has been running fine, solid fps throughout - the QTE's are nowhere near as bad as they were in the last port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

The game is sadly unplayable at parts for me on pc.

I cant pin the cause exactly but essentially anything that requires a cut scene seems to drag the game to a halt. I dont even think its the framerate tanking but that its just getting caught in some bottleneck trying to load all the bits and bobs for the cutscene, I pretty much have to restart after cause then the game picks up a frame rate stutter that doesnt go away for quite some time. Seems to be more of a hard drive issue except its on my SSD with my other games which all run fine

This was tragically bad in one of the early QTE events where I kept dying over and over because the game would stall during the cutscene so I'd miss the prompt.

I found though that repeat go through of the same cutscene seems to buffer things so after dying at least once at each stage of the qte I was able to play it through fully with little to no stutter.

Messed with my graphics and doesnt seem to do anything.

The first area is a big f*cking lie in terms of performance dont use it as a guideline. I went through it with everything on max and it was smooth.

Hit the next area and it just went to sh*t.

Advertisement