Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm pretty sure they already mentioned it in one of those interviews in the metro.

Either way, I personally think you're making it more of a news story than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You'd question why any developer would go to MS with an exclusive now when you look at the install base unless MS threw truck loads of money at them. There are 16.2 million PS4s out there now compared to 9.1 million Xbones and 7 million WiiUs. GTAV for example has sold over 2 million copies on the PS4 while just over 1 million on the XBone in the UK. Unless it's an in house studio it seems crazy from a business standpoint unless MS are going to offset the 50% or so of potential sales loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Linders215

Timed exclusive is fine.

I'd find it hard to believe that Sony didn't give it their all to have this timed exclusive in the favour of the playstation but inevitably lost out to microsoft.

A way to bolster the sales at the very least for microsoft and a good method as well, the more games they get timed exclusives for the more players make the shift over as they'll be bored hanging around waiting for the better games to be released.

Well played microsoft, well played indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Street Fighter will most definately shift consoles for Sony. Theres absolutely no doubt about that. There is a HUGE Street Fighter following out there so this is a massive win for Sony.

Tomb Raider as much as its a AAA game I just dont see it shifting consoles. Maybe I'm wrong but with Uncharted on the PS4 it's hard to see why someone would rush out to buy an XboxOne for this one franchise.

As a PS4 owner I dont particularly care that I'm missing out on Tomb Raider if I'm honest. Uncharted will do me for my indiana jones fix.
    I'm more pissed off that I'm missing out on the Halo and Gears of War franchises.
    I spent stupid amounts of hours on these two franchises on my 360.

I would have stuck with MS and bought an XboxOne only for the amazing remote play functionality available via the Vita for PS4 which I use a lot. At least half my PS4 gaming hours are going through the Vita, probably closer to 70% actually.

I and I'm sure many others cant justify having both the xboxone and ps4 when 90% of the titles are the same. The Wii U will keep me busy for alternatives/exclusives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

Street Fighter will most definately shift consoles for Sony. Theres absolutely no doubt about that. There is a HUGE Street Fighter following out there so this is a massive win for Sony.

Tomb Raider as much as its a AAA game I just dont see it shifting consoles. Maybe I'm wrong but with Uncharted on the PS4 it's hard to see why someone would rush out to buy an XboxOne for this one franchise.

As a PS4 owner I dont particularly care that I'm missing out on Tomb Raider if I'm honest. Uncharted will do me for my indiana jones fix.
    I'm more pissed off that I'm missing out on the Halo and Gears of War franchises.
    I spent stupid amounts of hours on these two franchises on my 360.

I would have stuck with MS and bought an XboxOne only for the amazing remote play functionality available via the Vita for PS4 which I use a lot. At least half my PS4 gaming hours are going through the Vita, probably closer to 70% actually.

I and I'm sure many others cant justify having both the xboxone and ps4 when 90% of the titles are the same. The Wii U will keep me busy for alternatives/exclusives.

Cross platform means I won't have to buy a ps4 to play with any of my friends that might have bought a ps4 for sf5, but as most don't own a ps4 yet and are think of just going PC anyway it might not matter, which make me glad as the only console game I am interested in that's not on a Nintendo console is scalebound.

• Advertisement

anonyanony wrote: »
    Cross platform means I won't have to buy a ps4 to play with any of my friends that might have bought a ps4 for sf5, but as most don't own a ps4 yet and are think of just going PC anyway it might not matter, which make me glad as the only console game I am interested in that's not on a Nintendo console is scalebound.

I'd say you and your buddies are in the minority. I'd say SF4 will move a lot of PS4's but probably not a huge amount of PC's.

PC gamers tend to stick to PC and console people tend to stick console.

Of course theres a certain amount of cross over but I would suggest Sony dont really care about the PC end of this. It was just to make sure they got one over MS which they did in spades.

I'd say you and your buddies are in the minority. I'd say SF4 will move a lot of PS4's but probably not a huge amount of PC's.

Of course theres a certain amount of cross over but I would suggest Sony dont really care about the PC end of this. It was just to make sure they got one over MS which they did in spades.

Yeah but crossplay means I don't need to buy a ps4 for sf5 like did with the 360 for 4, Most of my friends still have not picked a console as they are pretty much rehash of last gen games machines and any new games of which there is about 2 exclusives are pretty bad. They have seen from ac unity and the likes the new machines are just too underpowered and are thinking of just investing the money into a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

But how? I'm sure the system requirements on PC will require an MS operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

rizzla wrote: »
    But how? I'm sure the system requirements on PC will require an MS operating system.

Microsoft don't get any licensing fees for any game bought on PC, they do on Xbox One.

rizzla wrote: »

In terms of console sales as well which is really what this is about.

Sony is already hammering MS on consoles sold.

This will increase that margin further.

It wont be the end of the XboxOne by any means. It'll still trundle along for the generation but needs a few wins. I dont really see Tomb Raider being that big mark signing tbh.

Its gas really I sometimes forget that the XboxOne exists you hear so little about it.

PS4 has done a great marketing job so far on the PS4 from the original wins over MS on the 2nd hand game issue etc right up to this point.

I only know of 1 person who owns an XboxOne. As far as I know he plays his PS4 mostly though.

Dont get me wrong MS didnt make as much a mess of it as Nintendo did with the Wii U but they sure didnt help themselves either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Because we're on the internet where it's a lot easier for people to lie about who they are. For example, I'm Kaz Hirai and it isn't coming out on PS4.

You might get that elsewhere, but it's hardly something that's inherent on boards to be fair. The level of distrust and disbelief around here borders on pathetic on occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Street Fighter will most definitely shift consoles for Sony. Theres absolutely no doubt about that. There is a HUGE Street Fighter following out there so this is a massive win for Sony.

i don't really think that any one game will really shift consoles not in this day and age. i'm sure there will be a similar game released on the Xbox

but in saying that with oddworld out on the ps4 i'm very tempted to pick one up i just know i don't have enough time to play both

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i don't really think that any one game will really shift consoles not in this day and age. i'm sure there will be a similar game released on the Xbox

but in saying that with oddworld out on the ps4 i'm very tempted to pick one up i just know i don't have enough time to play both

Oddworld remake is worse then the original, don't buy a ps4 just for it.

dunworth1 wrote: »

Street fighter is a HUGE franchise with a HUGE following.

It absolutely will shift consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I doubt it will move consoles, I believe the game will definitely sell well though.

It's not that big especially at what capcom have done in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Street Fighter IV (across versions) has sold 8 million units. Tomb Raider has sold 6.5 million (including the DE).

I believe SFV will shift some consoles as it is a console exclusive. I don't believe Rise of the Tomb Raider will sell more consoles as it is a timed exclusive and many people will probably wait.

Otacon wrote: »
    Street Fighter IV (across versions) has 8 million units. Tomb Raider has sold 6.5 million (including the DE).

I believe SFV will shift some consoles as it is a console exclusive. I don't believe Rise of the Tomb Raider will sell more consoles as it is a timed exclusive and many people will probably wait.

4 games sold 8 million, one game sold 6.5

The news TR now a microsoft published game means the timed part is probably gone like bloodbrone is a sony published game.

Capcom have been pretty **** do we even know if sf5 is not f2p with pay for charcthers yet like they where planning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I could break down the versions if you like but I just wanted to show that the games have a similar level of appeal.
    The news TR now a microsoft published game means the timed part is probably gone like bloodbrone is a sony published game.

Capcom have been pretty **** do we even know if sf5 is not f2p with pay for charcthers yet like they where planning

Rise of the Tomb Raider is published by Microsoft - so was Mass Effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It sold 6.5 across 5 platforms, the PS3 was just short of 2X the 360 sales and the PS4 was over 3x the One for the re-release.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    It sold 6.5 across 5 platforms, the PS3 was just short of 2X the 360 sales and the PS4 was over 3x the One for the re-release.

Still one game, sf4 had 4 different games

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Good to see the PS4 vs Xbox thread still lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I might be in the minority, but this would be a significant factor in me getting an xbox one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

This is in competition with Uncharted, not Street Fighter. The question is, are more people likely to buy a PS4 for Uncharted or an Xbox One for Tomb Raider? The Street Fighter deal should be compared to Killer Instinct.

I personally am not too bothered either way, I know I wouldn't buy a console solely for Tomb Raider or Street Fighter. In fact, I see Uncharted as the first killer game this gen that is worthy of purchasing a console for, and I'm sure many view the new Halo in the same light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Don't worry lads

the ps4 might have the " Street Fighter 5 " exclusive

but no doubt about 8 months down the line

their will be a " Super Street Figther 5 " for everyone

if anything this game will not be exclusive

the name of course will be but the way capcom make so many versions of these games

you can easily take it, that they will make a newer version.

Never did like street fighter so I'm pretty meh over it anyway, but I know a few mates of mine that would definitely jump onto ps4 for it
    but can't see it been a console seller

uncharted yes, but this game, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Being a wrestling fan, I'm good at playing the wait and see game. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if it came to PS4 and PC as well. But not much point talking about it now. Will see this time next year after it's released.

Personally if I had to choose between buying an Xbox One to play this or a PS4 to play Uncharted, I would choose this based on my experience with the previous game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Personally if I had to choose between buying an Xbox One to play this or a PS4 to play Uncharted, I would choose this based on my experience with the previous game.

Just out of interest, have you played Uncharted before?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Tbh I dont think street fighter has been a console seller since the megadrive / snes days.

Tomb raider - has it ever really sold systems apart from maybe the ps1?

They're both pretty much second tier franchises that are grand in their own right, but I couldnt see anyone making a platform decision based on them apart from their most hardcore fans.

And on that, does Tomb Raider actually have hardcore fans? most of the games that came after tomb raider 2 were terrible.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ok, I thought I'd just chime in on the Street Fighter stuff.

I'm the local Street Fighter tournament streamer so I've a wee bit more knowledge on this than the average (and have in the past had some chats with capcom employees). Just to clear some stuff up:

Yup. Not only will it generate initial sales, it means the SF community will probably not migrate to another console when the inevitable rebalance emerges.

There is already a large PC community for SF4, no reason why there won't be for SF5. I currently have USF4 for steam, xbox360, and PS4. The big thing here is that this will make PS4 the defacto tournament standard for Street Fighter V tourneys. That means a large number of people and organisations will want to be on it.

It made the decision for me and I went out and bought one immediately. Currently drilling Guilty Gear on a PS pad. Can't wait to get a new TE stick for PS4.
    I doubt it will move consoles, I believe the game will definitely sell well though.

As I said above, it will make PS4 the defacto tournament platform for most large scale FG tournaments. It's not going to win a console war, but it WILL sell consoles.
    Still one game, sf4 had 4 different games

5:

Street Fighter 4
    Super SF4
    SSF4(Arcade Edition)
    SSF4 ver. 2012
    Ultra SF4

There is a final rebalance of USF4 coming out shortly with 2 new rebalances (one, called Omega mode, with the characters all "powered up") coming out. It's a free patch for people who've bought Ultra but apparently the disc release is exclusively for PS4 too. Making it all the more enticing for SF fans to trade up.

For those who like to moan about the multiple releases: please don't, they're not for you. Competitive players need the game rebalanced every year to 18 months as the game gets exploited. They're welcomed and torn apart all over again by them :)

EDIT: Actually, you're right- 2012 was never sold as a separate release, despite being considered a seperate game from Arcade Edition by the community.
    Benzino wrote: »
    This is in competition with Uncharted, not Street Fighter. The question is, are more people likely to buy a PS4 for Uncharted or an Xbox One for Tomb Raider? The Street Fighter deal should be compared to Killer Instinct.

SF I suspect would have a following many, many times the size of KI. Even in the States where KI is most popular it's somewhere down the mid card of tournaments. In Ireland I can think of 3 people I know in a community of a couple of hundred that shelled out for KI. That said yeah it's obviously not on the level of Unchartered.
    2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Don't worry lads

the ps4 might have the " Street Fighter 5 " exclusive

but no doubt about 8 months down the line

their will be a " Super Street Figther 5 " for everyone

if anything this game will not be exclusive

the name of course will be but the way capcom make so many versions of these games

you can easily take it, that they will make a newer version.

Never did like street fighter so I'm pretty meh over it anyway, but I know a few mates of mine that would definitely jump onto ps4 for it
    but can't see it been a console seller

uncharted yes, but this game, no.

The damage will already be done for Street Fighter fans- especially competitive ones- as the community will chose PS4 because they'll need to be playing as early as possible in order to keep up.

Also Sony are involved in the development. It's quite possible that SF might not appear on Xbox this generation.

Sorry for the side track, just wanted to chime in as someone who's part of the scene :)

• Advertisement

Fair play Doctor Doom, sums it up a lot better than I could.

I was trying to get at the idea of real SF fans like yourself which there are plenty of, not people like me who might pick up a copy.

It'll definately move consoles alright.

Advertisement