Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭thegame983

I'm playing on a GTX 760 and it runs great on medium settings (reccomended by nvidia experience). No issue. I put the textures and detail up to high, but that caused cutscenes to get a bit choppy.

Put them back down to normal and it runs fine and looks great

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Wont bother with this, same old linear hold your hand that most modern games offer nowadays zzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Does anybody know how to do the double shot? I have unlocked it and dont know how.

Dcully wrote: »
    Wont bother with this, same old linear hold your hand that most modern games offer nowadays zzzzzzzzzzz

Jez you'd not play many games based on that so :D

It's definitely better than the last one, and one of the best in it's field in the last few years certainly. Fact is we are never going to get a tomb raider of old. We're older and remember days of old , rock hard games, no google to fall back on, no health regen,if you're dead tough, better have a save , no you don't? tough! , games had manuals etc. They ain't making games like that anymore or for people our age, hell even I've been assimilated into can't solve it in 90 seconds go google it mode in many cases :(

m1ck007 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how to do the double shot? I have unlocked it and dont know how.

You have to zoom and charge the shot, you see it lock the target before you move to the next one still charging until it's locked too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Dcully wrote: »

Instantly disliked that reviewer, total nonsense. Basically they played about an hour of the game if they didn't get far enough to craft the Rope Arrows

Game was not mis-sold to anyone, it's not really an "open world" etc, it's meant to be more like Mass Effect 2, fairly linear with some areas mill around.
    Far more open than the uncharted series.

The fact the reviewer went into that play through (if you can call it that, "brief demo" would be more fitting) with no idea of what the game was, shows total ignorance on their behalf. A 90 second google would have given them the relevant info.

Total confirmation bias, either they knew they would hate the game and played it anyway in an attempt to generate viewers or they had no idea of the tomb raiders current leanings towards "Shadow of Mordor" meets "Uncharted".... both results cast the reviewer in a bad light.

Either ignorance of poor trolling, regardless, couldn't keep my eyes from rolling listening to that load of total horse s**t

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

I was stuck for five minutes on a tomb yesterday and thought of googling it. Told myself to man up though and literally 30 seconds later had it solved. I've only googled one thing and it ended up being bugged.

Apart from the constant crashing every hour or so I'm really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

You have to zoom and charge the shot, you see it lock the target before you move to the next one still charging until it's locked too.

Thanks but tried it out last night on a couple of chickens and it wouldnt lock. can this be done on moving targets though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Jez you'd not play many games based on that so :D

It's definitely better than the last one, and one of the best in it's field in the last few years certainly. Fact is we are never going to get a tomb raider of old. We're older and remember days of old , rock hard games, no google to fall back on, no health regen,if you're dead tough, better have a save , no you don't? tough! , games had manuals etc. They ain't making games like that anymore or for people our age, hell even I've been assimilated into can't solve it in 90 seconds go google it mode in many cases :(

its gas I bet if they made it like old games people would be turned off

sure alien isolation had an old type save system and it got slated in the gaming press for being abit more of a challenge than what we are used to with today's games

• The game is good, not great but good. I'd say I'm nearing the last few hours.
    The options in combat are enjoyable and all but something sticky about the animations that puts me off.
    It's got that checkbox thing in games that's starting to grate on me though. Constantly looting and picking up books etc.. gets a bit predictable after a while.
    I'm kinda more looking forward to getting it complete just to clear my backlog more than anything else.
    I can't get gripped with the story either, it's just not that interesting.
    All in all, very similar to the first one but with added padding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

What I liked about the game was the main story and the locations. Another thing about the main story was that I found it didn't drag on like Far Cry 4 and Watch Dogs. I had to force myself to finish the main storyline in those two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Got the PC version.

I'm liking it, but not as much as the first. It's not nearly as engrossing. I think that by introducing so many RPG elements and almost forcing any gamer who likes completion stats (like me) to constantly backtrack and rummage around instead of progressing, it takes quite a bit away from the main game.

For me the game would actually benefit from being more linear like its predecessor, which is a kinda weird thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Got the PC version.

I'm liking it, but not as much as the first. It's not nearly as engrossing. I think that by introducing so many RPG elements and almost forcing any gamer who likes completion stats (like me) to constantly backtrack and rummage around instead of progressing, it takes quite a bit away from the main game.

For me the game would actually benefit from being more linear like its predecessor, which is a kinda weird thing to say.

Cina wrote: »
    Got the PC version.

you defo can take this game in a linear way like the 1st game the main collectables are almost always in your main path.

the game is great with laras extra upgrades but it can be completed without them

• M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The game is good, not great but good. I'd say I'm nearing the last few hours.
    The options in combat are enjoyable and all but something sticky about the animations that puts me off.
    It's got that checkbox thing in games that's starting to grate on me though. Constantly looting and picking up books etc.. gets a bit predictable after a while.
    I'm kinda more looking forward to getting it complete just to clear my backlog more than anything else.
    I can't get gripped with the story either, it's just not that interesting.
    All in all, very similar to the first one but with added padding.

Just a follow on;

Completed the game last night. Picked up the pace towards the end but at the same time also turned into a shooting gallery fest.

As for the ending
    Wonder who the guy is making the kill orders after the credits with the sniper rifle. He leaves Croft alive though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Just a follow on;

Completed the game last night. Picked up the pace towards the end but at the same time also turned into a shooting gallery fest.

As for the ending
    Wonder who the guy is making the kill orders after the credits with the sniper rifle. He leaves Croft alive though

That's
    Trinity, but as to who that is, i don't know right now. I just hope it's not some stupid story along the lines of it's her father or some crap like that.

Anyway, just 100% the game, and i loved every minute of it. I think they have really done the series justice with the last 2 games. Still linear enough, but with just enough freedom to do things your way. I do hope that the next one is set in either a tropical or desert type environment. The last 2 were snow based, and it would be nice to get a different set up for the next one.

Also,
    i'd imagine Croft Manor will be in the next one, considering Lara is living in an apartment at the start of Rise, and she's back in the Manor at the end of this game. That would be awesome, a throw back to TR2 with the mansion and challenges is something i've been craving since the 2013 release.

Anyway, bring on 2018 for the next game!

That's
    Trinity, but as to who that is, i don't know right now. I just hope it's not some stupid story along the lines of it's her father or some crap like that.

Anyway, bring on 2018 for the next game!

That was the immediate thought I had at the end too , we better be wrong :D

2018 for the next one? I could easily stomach another one this year :)
    Also hoping for a less snow/mountain location, I said earlier in the thread we'd never see the puzzles and complexity levels off old but I can dream, on that note however I would gladly hand over 20 of my finest euro perhaps more for a HD remake of TR:TLR though I may have rose tinted glasses on that one ?

the little Syria level outside at the start was amazing looking a sunny location for the next one would look stunning

the game director who made rise has left the studio which is a shame IMO he done a good job

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm around half-way through now.

Seems to be a lot more exploring (tomb raiding!) vs combat so far, which is nice.

Game is super pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Seems to be a lot more exploring (tomb raiding!) vs combat so far, which is nice.

Game is super pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Game is super pretty.
    I enjoyed exploring more than combat in the last one. Combat controls feel kind of clunky and clumsy.
    Exploration felt well tuned however, at least to me.

With only those two things in mind do you think I would like this?

I enjoyed exploring more than combat in the last one. Combat controls feel kind of clunky and clumsy.
    Exploration felt well tuned however, at least to me.

With only those two things in mind do you think I would like this?

Yes. Definitely. This one definitely focuses more on the exploration, and collecting all the bits around didn't feel like a chore. To be honest, i'd love if they brought out a TR game which had no enemies aside from wild life. Literally exploring huge catacombs and tombs with no human enemies to worry about would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Is the Season Pass worth it? I'm not really interested in anything outside the single player content and it seems like only one of the 3 major DLC items are single player (in that it's story related, not Endurance mode or Horde mode or other such stuff).

chrislad wrote: »
    Is the Season Pass worth it? I'm not really interested in anything outside the single player content and it seems like only one of the 3 major DLC items are single player (in that it's story related, not Endurance mode or Horde mode or other such stuff).

There have be 2 of 3 released so far, the last one was Baba Yaga it's good but very short , it's a single player tomb/area and 2 score attack areas too. Takes an hour to beat with all collectibles.

The other one is a survival mode you get plopped in the woods and and have to scavenge food and find fires to stay warm while you look for tombs and wait for extraction , it was interesting but nothing special.

The last one due out sounds very much like a horde mode.

Over all if it was 14.99 and not 29.99 I'd say it's worth it but it's a little pricey for what you get.

I finished this off last night. I enjoyed it overall, but the ending was a bit flat compared to the ending of the last (in terms of the "boss" fight). I'm on 83% completion so I'll work through the rest of that before seeing if I can get the DLC cheap. :D

chrislad wrote: »
    I finished this off last night. I enjoyed it overall, but the ending was a bit flat compared to the ending of the last (in terms of the "boss" fight). I'm on 83% completion so I'll work through the rest of that before seeing if I can get the DLC cheap. :D

Is it possible that they wanted to go with a more "realistic" approach to boss battles? Like, i know in the very first TR you fought a T-Rex among other things, but i always believed it would be better to keep the TR more edged towards reality (mass-murder aside). I liked it. I was expecting some juiced up invincible bad guy at the end, so i was surprised by the straight fowards approach. It was nice.

They could totally have a spin off dedicated to that idea though, like TR 2155, where future Lara (probably with some additional mechanical limbs) scours the remains of towns and cities destroyed in World War 6, where she encounters relics of the past (like discmans, iPods and Nokia phones) while encountering the new wildlife and super-humans intent on preventing her from discovering the truth behind her great great great great grandmothers legacy.

Is it possible that they wanted to go with a more "realistic" approach to boss battles? Like, i know in the very first TR you fought a T-Rex among other things, but i always believed it would be better to keep the TR more edged towards reality (mass-murder aside). I liked it. I was expecting some juiced up invincible bad guy at the end, so i was surprised by the straight fowards approach. It was nice.

They could totally have a spin off dedicated to that idea though, like TR 2155, where future Lara (probably with some additional mechanical limbs) scours the remains of towns and cities destroyed in World War 6, where she encounters relics of the past (like discmans, iPods and Nokia phones) while encountering the new wildlife and super-humans intent on preventing her from discovering the truth behind her great great great great grandmothers legacy.

Perhaps, but they had established the existence of supernatural phenomenon at the end of the last game, and this game was based off her now believing this and her father. Either way, I still enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration will launch on PlayStation 4 on 11th October 2016

Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration will launch on PlayStation 4 on 11th October 2016

The new stuff will be free for people with the season pass on xbox I believe.
    “Blood Ties,” a new premium DLC, beckons players to explore Croft Manor in a new story mode; then defend it against a zombie invasion in “Lara’s Nightmare”. When Lara’s uncle contests ownership of the Manor, Lara must explore the estate to find proof that she is the rightful heir, or lose her birthright and father’s secrets for good. Players can then test their zombie-killing skills in the replayable “Lara’s Nightmare” mode: a haunted Croft Manor where players have new challenges and must rid the Manor of an evil presence.

There's also a new difficulty mode being dropped into the game in the form of an 'Extreme Survival' setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The new stuff will be free for people with the season pass on xbox I believe.

All of it bar the VR will be free for Season Pass users on XBOX and PC

Advertisement