Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk FC (read mod note in post #1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Only about €1mil up for grabs and get back to Oriel with the tie alive! So no pressure at all then. A great result tonight and at least another 4 European games. €180k roughly in home gates (before expenses) never mind the prize money. €1.4mil + the Europa prize money if we go out next round which would take it European qualification close to €1.8million roughly then. Even if we have to fork out say 300k (maybe thats a low enough guess depending on the draw) in expenses like travel and rent of Tallaght Stadium etc its game changing money in relation to doing a bit of work to Oriel and being able to keep this squad together and even strengthen. If we had a Christy Fagan type goal scorer i'd feel a bit more confident. McMillan need to take any chances that goes his way. Rogers has to quit the gaffes too! Be interesting to see how SK sets the team up but I just dont think its in this team to play defensively. Kenny has plenty of European experience and got some great results elsewhere. If ever there was a chance to pull off a shock we have the manager and players to do it!

So all we have to do is beat a team that has been in the Champions League what 7 from the last 9 seasons....easy....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

not to be pessimistic but if we don't get through this tie do we get into the europa league qualifiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Will there be a commentary anywhere for this game?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

neacy69 wrote: »
    not to be pessimistic but if we don't get through this tie do we get into the europa league qualifiers?

No, if we go out this round thats us done with Europe for this season. If we win this round and lose the next then we go in to the play-off for EL groups. Win 2 rounds of CL, reaching the CL play-off round and lose then its straight in to the EL groups. But obviously winning the CL play-off round for the CL groups stages is where we want t get to!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Possibility of more tickets for the match next week and news of a possible retrospective ban for a BATE player.
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/dundalk-looking-bate-borisov-skipper-6077902

inpho_00948200-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Possibility of more tickets for the match next week and news of a possible retrospective ban for a BATE player.
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/dundalk-looking-bate-borisov-skipper-6077902
    A possibility no more unfortunately. UEFA said no to a temp stand.
    http://www.dundalkfc.com/champions-league-update-1/

Hopefully there will be better news regarding a retrospective ban. Every little advantage helps.

Ahh i thought they would get it but anyway its going to be live on the TV which is brilliant but as a lifelong Dundalk fan there will be no beating being there.Times like this you'd be glad you subscribed for the oul season ticket and the good thing is that the majority of the tickets are safe in the hands of genuine supporters who have always supported the club.Wednesday is going to be some day and it cant come fast enough for me.
    BTW Pighead,any news on their Captains retrospective ban?

Ahh i thought they would get it but anyway its going to be live on the TV which is brilliant but as a lifelong Dundalk fan there will be no beating being there.Times like this you'd be glad you subscribed for the oul season ticket and the good thing is that the majority of the tickets are safe in the hands of genuine supporters who have always supported the club.Wednesday is going to be some day and it cant come fast enough for me.
    It's going to be unbelievable. Oriel can on occasions be a bit quiet but it's going to sound like there's 10,000 there on Wednesday night rather than 3,000. Hopefully as you say all the regulars have their tickets sorted.
    BTW Pighead,any news on their Captains retrospective ban?
    You've probably read this already at this stage but UEFA are meeting on Monday morning to decide if Rodionov gets suspended. I'll be surprised if he's not to be honest. I know it's not a particularly violent headbutt but I think it's enough for UEFA to deem it worthy of a suspension.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/bate-sweating-on-star-striker-as-kind-draw-ramps-up-dundalk-excitement-31385939.html

http://www.fcbate.by/en/infocenter/club-news/id4347
    Sounds like he's expecting the worst.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    http://www.fcbate.by/en/infocenter/club-news/id4347
    Sounds like he's expecting the worst.

Maybe but that translates to me - "momentary lapse, i'm very sorry, i recognise it was stupid, i'm so contrite that I dont need a suspension!"

Pure grovelling and a gamble on his behalf as he has admitted the offence, he could have tried to drag Massey in to it by claiming something was said to provoke him, complicate the situation so that a suspension decision may be deferred to a later stage. Will take it if he is suspended but I have my doubts as this BATE lot know all about dealing with UEFA.

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Maybe but that translates to me - "momentary lapse, i'm very sorry, i recognise it was stupid, i'm so contrite that I dont need a suspension!"

Pure grovelling and a gamble on his behalf as he has admitted the offence, he could have tried to drag Massey in to it by claiming something was said to provoke him, complicate the situation so that a suspension decision may be deferred to a later stage. Will take it if he is suspended but I have my doubts as this BATE lot know all about dealing with UEFA.
    I'd be very surprised if UEFA don't take action. Clear pictures of incident plus complete admission and apology from player means I can't see how they can do anything else but ban him. Anyway we'll see on Monday.

Nesta99 wrote: »

You were spot on Nesta. He has been cleared to play against us on Wednesday. Really shocked by that decision. Ah well. No point dwelling on it now.

These guys have huge experience dealing with UEFA. i would have been very surprised if they had let out a statement that would weaken his case and get him suspended. It would have been daft to preempt things unless they were sure that nothing would be done. Hence it made more sense to me that they had no case to answer or that the knew UEFA would do damn all. I'd have been well annoyed if things were reversed and the club put up an apology that would have nailed a players suspension. They knew what they were at and quite possibly knew that an apology would have gotten Rodinosov off the hook. Its a damn disgrace either way. A case where there is no doubt with TV footage and an admission of guilt and no punishment....we were fined for people pausing to watch the last European game behind the town goal when walking through the area. There wasnt 100's standing there refusing to move. (wont bother with the flag). Total double standard in enforcing the game and competition rules!!

Next season lads!!

'We'll be BACK" - What a day/night. The European Champions League song knocked me sideways,hair on the arms standing stuff,#OMGorrd
    Everyone going mad for about a week before the match! Some Club-VERY PROUD despite the k/o

Legit CL tune this time! Not it being played by MD for a Europa Game!

'We'll be BACK" - What a day/night. The European Champions League song knocked me sideways,hair on the arms standing stuff,#OMGorrd
    Everyone going mad for about a week before the match! Some Club-VERY PROUD despite the k/o
    I was sitting in my garden about three hours before the game and they were testing the sound system. The Champions League music came on and I just had a big stupid smile on for about ten minutes. Mickey Duffy ruined the moment though as he started practising his Belarus. Great night. Shame about the result. We will be back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Pighead wrote: »
    Mickey Duffy ruined the moment though as he started practising his Belarus. .

The lad is a tool. If I took over the club in the morning he'd be out the door with a boot up the arse. He's an embarrassment.

Just lost the game and people pretty down and his big stupid chirpy voice comes on saying what a great game of football etc etc. He is meant to announce the teams, amount of added time and goalscorers not host the Mickey Duffy show every fortnight live from Oriel.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/thanks-everybody/

Need to rally the troops again for Cork on Sunday.Huge match.Hopefully no CL hangover.

11703370_859980880723140_8954706277977525098_n.jpg?oh=b4644763fbcb243dd3b085228e8e1ae3&oe=56462E35

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    The lad is a tool. If I took over the club in the morning he'd be out the door with a boot up the arse. He's an embarrassment.

Just lost the game and people pretty down and his big stupid chirpy voice comes on saying what a great game of football etc etc. He is meant to announce the teams, amount of added time and goalscorers not host the Mickey Duffy show every fortnight live from Oriel.

He is quite a character! Id say eccentric rather a tool. In a close game and the away side are attacking and we are under the cosh a bit his announcements are....unusually timed, or a microphone is left on.

Whoever put 'The home of football' on the Oriel Park sign on the stand facade needs a toe in the hole! Its cringeworthy, and not the home of 'football'. Home of Dundalk FC, home of Louth football etc are okay I suppose but for a small club in a low ranked league its a ridiculous claim. Athlone as the first club founded in Ireland could claim 'the home of Irish football' at a push. Its about as accurate as having the home of NASA up.

Dunno where that rant came from!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

just get him to turn the volume of the music down at half time- it incredible !

(somebody must have said it before the cl game, as it was for it )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Dundalk look to have signed Ciaran Kilduff to add a bit more firepower (not sure if this is confirmed)

Dundalk look to have signed Ciaran Kilduff to add a bit more firepower (not sure if this is confirmed)

Is now mate,great signing imo.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/kilduff-joins-lilywhites/

A documentary about Dundalk FC's 1979/80 European Cup campaign will be broadcast on SETANTA Ireland on August 6th at 9pm.
    If you haven't got Setanta or you just fancy a jar The Lilywhite Lounge will be showing it on the big screen & will open at 7.00pm.

A documentary about Dundalk FC's 1979/80 European Cup campaign will be broadcast on SETANTA Ireland on August 6th at 9pm.

Available now on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Do Gillingham have to pay Dundalk anything for Frank signing from Spurs? (Bohs to get 10% of Forrester transfer and in turn have to part with 10% of this 10% to a schoolboy club). O'Donnell was magnificent last night. Don't think he as ever let any club he has played for down. Gartland and Gannon must have been close for man of the match as well. Towell did a lot of work but looked out of place at times with the role he was handed. Shields (as always) disrupted Rovers flow when he come on. If he leaves next season he will be in any other teams first 11.

• Advertisement

Dundalk wont be due anything for the Frank O transfer afaik :(

Great win last night,Shields was my MOTM,gave the manager food for thought with his display!!

This was Finners goal from last night.Good to see a player celebrate a goal against his ex-employers :D

Advertisement