Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk FC (read mod note in post #1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

There is no doubt there should have been a civic reception at this point. It would probably have been done already by DTC if still in existence. It needs to be proposed at a LCC meeting and would or will be passed. Getting a slot where the council members (including the Drogheda ones) are available is not as easy as ye would think. It will happen before Christmas i'd say. Was fun slagging off former Town Clerk Frank Pentony when he had to host a reception in the Town Hall with him being a hardcore Drog fan and then Drog board member too:p

Cork City must be really p*ssed off with finishing 2nd to Dundalk of recent. At any other time they would have picked up a trophy by now bar this exceptional Dundalk FC side.

Just get Stephen Kenny signed up for a contract extension before Christmas and the launch of 2016 season tickets. Also Graham Byrne too as the combination of him and the management team will keep the silverware rolling even with the possible loss of a 29 goal central midfielder!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

There is absolutely no doubt that there should have been a public reception for the team at the square on Saturday 14th, 6 days to organise a reasonable function.

Turn off the water jets, hire a band (one might have even played for free), organise an open top trailer, make it around 3pm on Saturday and lots of people would be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

No riots have been reported in the Dundalk area yet after Ritchie Towells move to English Championship side Brighton & HA was confirmed this morning.
    I have no doubt Richie will be as big a player across the water as he was here and i wish him the very best of luck in the next phase of his carerr.

I know the general consensus is that he owes us nothing and that he deserves his chance to move on - but i'm a greedy sh~te so feck it anyway, it was going to happen but the lack of a fee is total bollix and I hoped he stay. Gannons injury at the Cup Final could very well be timed spot on for DFC as he is unlikely move unless fully fit.

Richie was great for us. Magnificent 3 seasons, which we won't forget. I wish him all the best at Brighton and hope he makes it in their first team and in the Irish team. Getting feck all transfer fee sucks though. However King Kenny is the best manager in the league and we know he will move on. Maybe Georgie Poynton in midfield next year with Ciaran O'Connor up front ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What's this about there being no fee?
    How can that be?
    Madness to allow your best player go and get no fee.

No reply to my last post

He is over 23 so no solidarity payment. He was then out of contract. Unlikely to be Dundalk's doing as they had offered the contract extension but he wanted to be a free agent to maximises his chance of a move.

Nesta99 wrote: »
    He is over 23 so no solidarity payment. He was then out of contract. Unlikely to be Dundalk's doing as they had offered the contract extension but he wanted to be a free agent to maximises his chance of a move.

Dundalk should have insisted on a contract surely.
    Loads of money down the Swanee there.
    Not very professional to allow our best player leave for nothing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

He obviously wouldn't have signed the contract. Better to have had him for last season than not have him at all.

• Advertisement

There might have been a time in Dundalk where certain people could have stood beside him until he signed on the dotted line:eek: - those days are passed now.

Piece on the BBC website (via Orielweb) about Brighton having a deficit of over £10mil this financial year and something similar last year. So in a strange sort of way Dundalk FC are probably currently financially better off than B&H Albion. Obviously though if they stay top and get promoted then its something like £80mil they'd get and a parachute payment if they go straight back down. It would be nice to get a friendly out of the whole thing or even some relationship between the clubs for coaching exchange, pre-season camp or something. 'Tis unlikely mind as Towell's move would have been managed by his agent and nothing to do with Dundalk FC. While the extra year lost us a solidarity fee it gained us 29 goals and the 4 trophies that went with them. Richie also showed some amount of self belief and maturity by not having his head turned by just any club last season or this. Brighton is a club going places, Amex is a nice new ground, Brighton is a lovely place less than an hour from London by train. They are paying good money to players that could really help set up Ritchie even in the unlikely event that things dont work out. He has the work ethic and attitude to lift his game another level and there are feck all natural goal scoring midfieders knocking about; And he will be coached by an Irish international legend and an excellent coach in Chris Hughton (Hughton would know Dundalk FC from the days that Charlton had the Irish team stay in the Nurmore and train on the hallowed turf of Oriel before home games in Landsdowne). Hughton is totally underrated imo, and has been overlooked too many times when doing a good but thankless job as caretaker manager at various (basketcase) clubs like Newcastle. So he will have a point to prove - they finished 20th last season and Hughton took over last Christmas and kept them up so relegation fodder to top of the league in 12 months, sound familiar? Down side...Bobby Zamora is on their books and as a bit of a QPR fan well grrrrrr

(When your sat, in Row Z, and the ball hits your head that's Zamora!)

Richies professionalism and the way that he didnt give up hope when Scotland didnt work out (what does Pat Fenlon know anyway) has me really wanting him to succeed, not just as a Dundalk legend but I think he deserves another crack at the big time, look for an Ireland call-up, and play premier league footy with the Seagulls next season. Not that he is likely to see this but best of luck Richie!!!

*Confirmed that Daryl Horgan has re-signed with Dundalk for 2016 season which will soften the blow of losing Towell. Get Gannon signed up and extend SK and his staffs' contracts too and we could genuinely be on for 3 in a row!

Raoul wrote: »
    He obviously wouldn't have signed the contract. Better to have had him for last season than not have him at all.

How do you know he obviously wouldn't have signed? He was hardly going to leave for a weaker team in the LOI.

How do you know he obviously wouldn't have signed? He was hardly going to leave for a weaker team in the LOI.

He would have been advised by his agent(s) not to sign anything other than a one year deal as it was obvious that there was a lot of interest in him from overseas.Richie always said that if he was going to be playing LOI football it would be for Dundalk as long as he was wanted here.
    In the end the interest from overseas was huge and the fact that he was out of contract at Dundalk ensured that his move when it came was swift and was confirmed within days.
    IMO it all worked perfectly for the club and the player,we got the extra year out of him and he got his wanted move back to England where he wants to prove himself.All good :D

I dont think a transfer like Towells as been as straight forward in terms of supporters accepting and thanking the player for their time at a club and wishing them the best in future ambitions. For the player his waiting meant a season that was so successful you had an appropriate level of move and not the drivel from Bristol Rovers saying that they were monitoring him and them on the verge of the 5th tier football in England. Everyone got something out of the efforts put in by Richie and now its Albions turn!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

The cups are on display in DkIT today.

They are bloody heavier than they look! :)

Good day for the club as we announce the signings of top players McEleney and Benson,Fyffes continue its sponsorship of DundalkFC and another local company CX+ Sport(aka Horseware) launch the new Dundalk jerseys at An Táin Arts Centre in the heart of the town :)

New signings McEleney and Benson in the new home jersey;

CVutpyjWEAE2-3P.jpg

Away jersey;

CVu_OzVWEAAoyXo.jpg

The cups are on display in DkIT today.

They are bloody heavier than they look! :)

Aye but the closer you get the more impressive the haul. The club will need a van to get all the trophies around in one piece! Leinster Senior Cup in itself is impressive as one of the oldest trophies (1889 I think) played for in the football world, and its not tin like the league trophy!!

*1892 it was first played for according to wiki but i'm sure I saw an earlier date stamped on the bottom so maybe the trophy is a bit older than the competition itself.

Jerseys look fantastic. Exactly what so many people have been looking for with the similarity to the National Aluminium shirt and a nod to the GNR with the away shirt. A pleasant change from the random away shirts like the green one that seemed to be the last of a lot that Umbro in the back of a storeroom. I expect the quality to be better than the replicas churned out by the established kit manufacturers. They are obviously not out of a brochure that is available to any club. Great day all round for the club and any misgivings about losing Towell are fading quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

Aye but the closer you get the more impressive the haul. The club will need a van to get all the trophies around in one piece! Leinster Senior Cup in itself is impressive as one of the oldest trophies (1889 I think) played for in the football world, and its not tin like the league trophy!!

*1892 it was first played for according to wiki but i'm sure I saw an earlier date stamped on the bottom so maybe the trophy is a bit older than the competition itself.

Jerseys look fantastic. Exactly what so many people have been looking for with the similarity to the National Aluminium shirt and a nod to the GNR with the away shirt. A pleasant change from the random away shirts like the green one that seemed to be the last of a lot that Umbro in the back of a storeroom. I expect the quality to be better than the replicas churned out by the established kit manufacturers. They are obviously not out of a brochure that is available to any club. Great day all round for the club and any misgivings about losing Towell are fading quickly!
    I hope you are right as I am usually really disappointed with the quality of material of the jerseys. Usually really sweaty or something (and that isn't just me :o).

There is no doubt there should have been a civic reception at this point. It would probably have been done already by DTC if still in existence. It needs to be proposed at a LCC meeting and would or will be passed. Getting a slot where the council members (including the Drogheda ones) are available is not as easy as ye would think. It will happen before Christmas i'd say......

Next year.......Maybe! :confused:

http://www.dundalkleader.com/2015/12/09/civic-reception-for-dundalk-fc/
    It may be a case of ‘better late than never’ for Dundalk FC after Louth County Council confirmed that the club’s magnificent double winning team will receive a civic reception in 2016 but it is still unknown when exactly it will take place.

By the time they have written up the new protocols and can then go to the elected members, depending on when meetings fall the new season could be under way. I would have thought old regulations could have been used annotated as not setting precedence until updated protocol is in place, obviously not willing to open that can of worms. Tbh the necessity of having concrete regulations to refer to lies among the dodgy behaviour of elected reps nationally, no exception ie even for a civic reception as someone will undoubtedly have a vested interest in doing the finger food for some extra expenses.....say £10k as a nice little figure for starters. Also the petty yokel nature of local politics especially in Louth; Without set guidelines you could end up with civic receptions for the Division 3C GAA tidlywinks winners, r-up, ach maybe for every damn team involved...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Jerseys selling well by all accounts. Top quality stuff from CX Sports

Don't know if this is allowed but sure i i'll take the chance as there are no links to any phone numbers in yer mans post;and i have no link to the page

https://www.facebook.com/DundalkFC-news-now-693196294068267/?fref=nf

Whoop hoooo. Is that the first time a LOI club has won team of the year?

joeysoap wrote: »
    Whoop hoooo. Is that the first time a LOI club has won team of the year?

Yep
    Dublin GAA fans weeping buckets of tears over it is one of the funniest things i've seen in years :pac::D
    Saturday’s ceremony in Dublin was first time a League of Ireland side has ever scooped the award.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/dundalk-secure-rte-sport-team-of-the-year-award/

The reaction on Twitter was priceless.

The more wound up they got the funnier and more entertaining it got! Bit bizarre all the same as being a public vote Dublin GAA people have only themselves to blame as they didnt get voting. There is a lot of pride in winning this award as Dundalk support got behind the club once again and outdid other considerable nominations with national appeal and others representing much more populated areas.

Haters gunna hate! :)

Had to laugh at Ritchie Towell saying "am I allowed up??"

Well his suit could have blinded folk!

That suit is brilliant. Only McGregor could have been more dapper if he bothered to show up :pac:

• Advertisement

Have you all seen the amount of DundalkFC gear that is been worn around town since Christmas? From what i hear new jobs have been created in Horseware due to the high quality and popularity of the new kit and the club have sold near 1400 shirts alone since it went on sale back in early December! That's a huge win-win situation for everyone connected with both companies.
    Delighted for all concerned with this local tie in and long may they both continue to be successful :)

Advertisement