Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk FC (read mod note in post #1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Nesta99 wrote: »
    I agree that there is no location in town that betters Oriel but we cant be held over a barrel for much longer so it is sensible to consider alternatives. The Drogheda chairman in his LMFM interview (thanks for the link 10gb) said that the FAI (ie JD) have identified United Park, Oriel Park and the Carlisle Grounds as the biggest problems league infrastructure wise so a new build may not be totally unattainable.

I think I mentioned before that improvements to Oriel that increases capacity cannot be considered a forgone conclusion even if the lease is sorted. There will be plenty of hoops to jump through for planning, traffic impact studies, parking facilites as parking on the footpath at St Malachy's Villas, for example, would be an issue on match nights. An agreement with Tesco and proper policing on this could be part of a solution?!
    Residents could object, planning levies and those possibly outstanding(YDC) are problematic. Is there adequate services on the Carrick Rd for a potential 8000 crowd without additional pumping stations etc. So it is not beyond possible that developing a greenfield site could be at least of similar cost compared to developing Oriel.
    An average of €1000 seems to be the accepted cost per parking space so a meagre 100 space car park is 100k which is a big chunk of money and when at least 500 spaces would likely be needed for planning. This is one of the reasons Droghedas planning submission 2007 or so was rejected as they had no parking facilities included.
    Building a stand anywhere is on average given at €1m guesstimate per 1000 capacity and maybe more if limited by existing structures like in Oriel.
    These are ballpark figures and a few of the issues that could be faced developing Oriel and/or building a new ground. Id totally prefer to stay where we are but we will have to be pragmatic. Oriel is full of history and memories but even so it isnt our original home either and i'm sure similar discussions happened when leaving the Ramparts for Oriel many years ago!

Location where DKIT were going to have their stadium would be ideal for parking. Already have ample parking at DKIT sport with some overflow in retail park and DKIT itself if needed. In fact a modified version of their original plans would be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Not just parking, media rooms, RTE studio there, medical facilities, catering, areas for warm up, multiple entry/exit points maintaining segregation and visiting buses able to get away to the M1 promptly, Hotel in the vicinity, in the future possibly a sports science lab, existing relationship and scholarship scheme. few private residences that would be disrupted, proximity to Hospital or quicker route to the Lourdes A no brainer if Oriel lease isnt sorted or development there is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not just parking, media rooms, RTE studio there, medical facilities, catering, areas for warm up, multiple entry/exit points maintaining segregation and visiting buses able to get away to the M1 promptly, Hotel in the vicinity, in the future possibly a sports science lab, existing relationship and scholarship scheme. few private residences that would be disrupted, proximity to Hospital or quicker route to the Lourdes A no brainer if Oriel lease isnt sorted or development there is limited.

It would always be the "college field" though and the ordinary man would not feel connected to it like he is to Oriel. It's a fair old walk out of town too especially for someone of senior years.

As opposed from the Athletic Grounds to the Carrick Rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

It would always be the "college field" though and the ordinary man would not feel connected to it like he is to Oriel. It's a fair old walk out of town too especially for someone of senior years.

We should build a tram line out there so. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

Maybe someone would run a bus from town out to the games :). I think it would be a great location. Plus it depends what side of town you live on. It isn't far to go if you are from Muirhevna Mor. Prob 20 min from Greenacres. Even closer to Bay Estate. Then you might get a lot more people coming from Blackrock cos of the better location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

A lot of English football clubs have left their spiritual homes over the years, Roker Park, Baseball Ground, Filbert Street, The Dell, Highbury, Maine Road, Ayresome Park etc etc. so staying at at Oriel probably shouldn't be set in stone. But there is not doubt the attendance dynamics would change, maybe not so much with a winning team. As I posted earlier, I now park at Tesco. It's great on Match nights to join the other supporters on the walk up to Oriel, especially from the Garda Station onwards. Quite surprising the number of supporters who walk. I think we would lose some of that with a move, ok we might well pick up new supporters. (Which asks the question, where are the NOW, and why aren't the supporting a winning team?). In short I don't we would gain all that many new supporters from the move, but we might lose a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

I know what you are saying about where are they now? But you can put forward the same question about supporters who may not go if we moved from Oriel.

Fair point, but looking at the composition of de shed, I think a lot of those supporter walk. I don't know if DKIT is within walking of these supporters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

joeysoap wrote: »
    Fair point, but looking at the composition of de shed, I think a lot of those supporter walk. I don't know if DKIT is within walking of these supporters.

The composition of de shed, as you put it are the ones who have been going to Oriel and away games for years (obvs not the younger lads).

The main issue with 99% of fans id say, is we would love to stay in Oriel, its our home but if we have to move and have no other choice, a location in town would be the best for attendances.

Athlone Town's stadium is an example of how badly it can go wrong! No pubs around, not able walk from the town (well unless u fancy the 20/25 min each way trek from Park Street)

A town location should be looked at first and foremost!

• Advertisement

The only site within the Urban area that could work fairly straight forward would be at the sports centre but at the loss of an urban green area, and if moving to there its only a few hundred meters to DKIT, a cheaper site to develop. Out near Dundalk Stadium could be an option but other projects fell fowl (sic) of planning objection by environmental groups. A definite site could be on the Newry Rd where the old landfill used to be (so we could literally play on a dump); I'm sure at this point it is nearing the point as usable, methane has been piped off for 20+ years now eg. Would still need plenty of services work but would cost little if anything to acquire. The Gaels looked at a site a Priorland for a move so maybe but would be a planning nightmare with floodplains and impact at Balmers Bog. There is land behind the hospital too that was part of the Dundalk South enviorns plan (road network, warehousing, railway stop, etc from celtic tiger era) which would imply the possibility of the land being earmarked for development but again close to DKIT. Rugby Club looked at land off the Point/Shore Rd which wouldn't have made any sense to me from flooding to environmental impact. Even if DPL and others on the Ramparts vacated that site it woud take some traffic management plan to get the go ahead, but isnt impossible with the proximity of Millenium and Inner Relief Rd. Mill Rd, Fatima Castleyblaney Rd is to far out imo to be of greater advantage to DKIT. iF there was to be a really ambitious plan with the Council and on town centre regeneration a ground bang in the centre of town and the focal point of a project could in theory be done at where the existing Longwalk and Carrolls Shopping Centres are if they were demolished. They are a waste of space really now anyway. Before the new Tesco the Old Shopping Centre site would have been the place for New Oriel!! Would there be enough land at Mournview actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

To much legal stuff going on with the owners of the Carroll Village atm for it to be considered imo.The old dump is worth considering.Most other sites would be passed over for the reasons you outlined.

So back to Oriel,what exactly is Matthews looking for? The YDC is surely only worth a fraction of what he paid for and put into it,the current lease holders there want out (reckon paying way over the market rent and have now better competitors in the market).Loads of people bought property in the early 2000's and ended up in serious trouble,does GM think he's immune to that just because the club have been successful over the last few years?
    He threatened a long time ago to knock it if he didn't get what he was owed.................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Any new Stadium plans or upgrade plans for Oriel should be to standards needed to host Champions League/Europa League games.

There could be a few issues with getting Oriel up to these standards as we don't own any of the land surrounding Oriel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Is this nonsense or is there any substance to it?

Dundalk could be forced out of Oriel
    Double winners Dundalk may have to move out of Oriel Park due to a dispute with former owner Gerry Matthews.
    Matthews, who left the Lilywhites in 2012, has informed the FAI that he, and not the club, retains the lease on the ground as his frustration over a failure to reach a financial agreement with the new owners reaches boiling point, according to the Irish Times.

I always thought the lease was between the Caseys and the club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Is this nonsense or is there any substance to it?

Dundalk could be forced out of Oriel

I always thought the lease was between the Caseys and the club

Unfortunately, yes.

The lease was not transferred to the company which took over the club from Matthews. This was due to the new owners not wanting to purchase the YDC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Dundalk office broken into couple of hours ago, jerseys for local charities and laptop taken.

http://talkofthetown.ie/2016/02/16/offices-at-oriel-park-broken-into-with-dundalk-fc-items-stolen/

2-0 for Dundalk in the Malone cup but it was hard work for Dundalk.Drogs were well organised and unlucky not to score a couple against us.
    Decent interview on the link with john Gill,a man i have any ammount of time for.
    https://audioboom.com/boos/4204631-john-gill

Time to bump this thread I think. 28 points from 33 after the first round of games. Cork win in Oriel took a penalty and 2 points dropped against Derry in Oriel also after being one up and a man up but when down to 10 men each Derry took a point home. So far it still feels like Dundalk have another few gears in them and that there is nobody that is putting in consistent performances to keep up. One of the few worries are the injuries to the front men with only McMillan fit. McEleney has been struggling with different injuries which is a pity as he would be a key man especially in Europe. So so far so go but we need to keep crowds going to games as there is a bit of a drop off in attendances - maybe it is down to having few 'big' rivals visit Oriel in this round bar Cork. Next round Rovers are among the visitors I think.

Next up Bray on an awkward Tuesday nght but a great opportunity to stretch the lead beyond the current 5 points.

As shams found out last year attendances are affected by live TV coverage. The Derry and Galway matches being examples. Injuries are a worry alright, can't help thinking McCabe got away lightly. There should be a rule that if you injure a player deliberately you should miss the same number of matches as the injured player plus 2 matches. Might put manners on some players. McEleney appears to be injury prone, Kilduff was punched in the back by Clarke, def sending off and peno. Ciaran O'Connor was unluck with his break. I wouldn't rush O'Donnell back, Benson is finding his feet. Poynton would get a place on most LOI teams

In fairness to McCabe (and he deserves a lengthy ban for his general conduct on the pitch) O'Donnell said the injury happened when he went over on his ankle and not as a result of the McCabe challenge - these things happen on an inconsistent, untested, unregulated pitch.

• Advertisement

I know it's nearly a week on but we should mention the very sad death of Aidan Donohoe, otherwise known as Dunny who regularly posted here among other football fora and threads. The death of any loyal supporter of a club hits home to all of us but at 25 years of age it is particularly tough to get the head around. I'm glad there was a minutes applause in his memory at Oriel Park on Friday night as a show of his appreciated support of the club and in solidarity with his Dad, also an avid Lilywhite. RIP Dunny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭PGE1970

As a Drogs fan, I echo the above.

The LoI family is a small one. Far too young to go.

Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP.

PGE1970 wrote: »
    As a Drogs fan, I echo the above.

The LoI family is a small one. Far too young to go.

Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP.
    I know it's nearly a week on but we should mention the very sad death of Aidan Donohoe, otherwise known as Dunny who regularly posted here among other football fora and threads. The death of any loyal supporter of a club hits home to all of us but at 25 years of age it is particularly tough to get the head around. I'm glad there was a minutes applause in his memory at Oriel Park on Friday night as a show of his appreciated support of the club and in solidarity with his Dad, also an avid Lilywhite. RIP Dunny!

Thank you everybody for the amazing tributes to my mate Dunny who passed away last week.

Dunny was by his own admission,a great WUM(Wind Up Merchant) across many LOI football forums .He especially loved to wind up fans from Drogs and Shams :D

Underneath the online persona was a quiet,shy(ish) guy who was not only passionate for his club but for the LOI in general.He was very,very knowledgeable about both.

He became a full-time supporter & season ticket holder at DundalkFC when aged just 11/12(Dundalk had been relegated to LOI div 1 after winning the cup) and attended matches at OP and also at probably every away ground.(Tolka Park his fav)His claim in his latter years was that he was supporting Dundalk 'before they became good' :)

In 2008 when Dundalk gained promotion to the LOI premier division in Newbridge v Kildare County he was the 1st man across the wall in the ground to join in the celebrations.He cried on the phone to his mum that night.

My words here are a little disjointed.I'm a bit drunk and emotional,but i'm sincere.Dunny was up there with the Marty Shields and the Des Dennings etc.. when it came to supporting the Lilywhites.
    May he now RIP.
    He guided every one of those goals home in our 7-0 win v Harps last night :)

To his Mum and Dad,brothers,sisters and entire family circle i send my sincere condolences.

I thoroughly enjoyed his wind ups on other fora. As for your post, it was far from disjointed imo and quite touching!

Family day in Oriel Park today for the game v Wexford Youths KO 5pm. Great day last year and should be again weather permitting. U12 entry free, face painting, general fun to be had for anyone looking to fill a pleasant Sunday evening with the kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Great turnout and a lot of young families present.

The football wasn't bad either.

Great day out and even Richie turned up for it!!
    Fair play to the club,they nailed this one.

The football wasn't bad either ;)

>>>>(((((EHCHO)))))<<<<

Will be interesting...

13427904_1020708431317050_6970535871779179915_n.jpg?oh=57596d3f8eab08e62cafa1724aa9d579&oe=57C10403

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

http://talkofthetown.ie/dundalk-face-trip-to-iceland-in-champions-league/

Dundalk have been drawn to face FH Hafnarfjördur of Iceland in the UEFA Champions League second qualifying round next month.

The first leg will be provisionally played at Oriel Park on either July 12th or 13th with the return leg in Hafnarfjörður on July 19th or 20th.

FH, managed by Heimir Gudjonsson, are located just outside the capital of Reykjavik. They have won seven titles in their history and, like Dundalk, play in black and white.

Dundalk FC have advised fans not to make any travel arrangements until the exact fixtures, venues and times are known which will probably be later today.

The teams Dundalk avoided include last year’s opponents BATE Borisov and Scottish champions Celtic as well as Red Star Belgrade, Rosenborg and FC Kobenhavn.

• Advertisement

Another inspiring production by Fyffes this time on the theme of the role of captains at Dundalk FC.

Advertisement