Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung galaxy note 4

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

CptMackey wrote: »
    Is the lollipop update from Vodafone Ireland worth doing or will it have the same issues as the others. Phone is working grand on kit kat.

Stay on kitkat!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

My power button has stopped working. Easy fix? Anyway to lock the phone quickly without it and any easy way to go into silent mode. Very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

CptMackey wrote: »
    My power button has stopped working. Easy fix? Anyway to lock the phone quickly without it and any easy way to go into silent mode. Very annoying

You can use nova launcher gestures to have a double tap to turn off screen, only work when you are on the home screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Has anyone flashed 5.1.1 yet ?

Sammobile have a couple of variations of it available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

KTR1C wrote: »
    Has anyone flashed 5.1.1 yet ?

Sammobile have a couple of variations of it available.

They're all Three branded :(
    Any advantage to going 5.1.1, or best just to wait until the stock unbranded ones are released?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Might load this one on.. Put on the German one last week and I'm now getting told I am on LTE as opposed to 4G:D.. I miss my 4G symbol

Overall though its a nice update. Few nice changes to 5.1.1

markad1 wrote: »

Still no unbranded (except Slovakia).
    I'm currently on 5.0.1 Germany unbranded, happy enough with it.
    Might load this one on.. Put on the German one last week and I'm now getting told I am on LTE as opposed to 4G:D.. I miss my 4G symbol

Overall though its a nice update. Few nice changes to 5.1.1

What changes did you notice? Anything worthwhile changing for?

I'm waiting for the BTU unbranded :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Can anyone tell me what the PDA AND CSC Versions are for?

Example in the Three Ireland 5.1.1 Download
    PDA N910FXXU1COH4
    CSC N910F3IE1COH3

I think its something to do with carrier and modem version, but i want a more clear answer like if you could interfere with your connection to your carrier if you don't use the right information, and by interfere i mean anything from not receiving a signal to slowing down your connection or that

TIA

Dpjmie

• Advertisement

dpjmie wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the PDA AND CSC Versions are for?

Example in the Three Ireland 5.1.1 Download
    PDA N910FXXU1COH4
    CSC N910F3IE1COH3

I think its something to do with carrier and modem version, but i want a more clear answer like if you could interfere with your connection to your carrier if you don't use the right information, and by interfere i mean anything from not receiving a signal to slowing down your connection or that

TIA

Dpjmie

The CSC denotes carrier
    N910F3IE1COH3 - 3IE is the carrier (and N910F is the model)
    When you've flashed, you should check the CSC in the boot screen to make sure it has updated - you might need a factory reset to get it to update: what you see in the boot screen is the source of OTA updates (so if it has not changed, any OTA updates will come from your old CSC provider in future (I'm on BTU [UK] for example, even though I flashed Germany Unbranded to get 5.0.1 early, but I still prefer my updates to come from UK if possible (if they ever come out first with stock unbranded! That, and I don't fancy a reset...). Originally my handset was vodafone IE (VFG), back when I bought it, with KitKat. I've had no issues with my phone, not when changing from Vodafone branded, to UK unbranded, or Germany unbranded. I'm running on Three network just FYI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

How's the battery on 5.1.1? Mine is atrocious on 5.0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Just got 5.1.1 update on 3 ireland. The phone heated up so much immediately after the install, I had to remove the battery to let it cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Stupid question.
    My Note 4 (Three branded) is currently rooted with TWRP installed.
    Should I be able to use TWRP to flash the Three firmware from the sammobile site instead of Odin?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭65535

Just updated Three Note 4 to 5.1.1 all fine so far.
    I have moved Skype App to the SD Card (143 MB) which was not possible in previous version.

Vodafone Ireland 5.1.1 is out
    http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SM-N910F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

markad1 wrote: »

Installed.

The recent apps works perfect now. Excellent!

Finding a good improvement in battery life. Average of 20% more than usual at this time of the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

tallus wrote: »
    Finding a good improvement in battery life. Average of 20% more than usual at this time of the evening.

Same for me as well big improvement as well. I am still on 30% and I have used my phone quite a bit today and was streaming music from spotty as well.

Going to give it another few days and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Same for me as well big improvement as well. I am still on 30% and I have used my phone quite a bit today and was streaming music from spotty as well.

Going to give it another few days and see.

I never really take much notice of my battery life as always top it up at desk in work, the fast charging is the best thing ever!
    Must keep an eye on it tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Facebook app was crashing on me a lot too, especially when I tried to play video, and that appears to have stopped.

Weird..my screen lock (pattern) is set but not working. ie: even though it's set up and was working yesterday it has stopped working today, and according to the settings it is still active. This is not good.
    Edit

The screen unlocking may be related to my parrot blue tooth car kit because when I disconnected the screen lock became functional.
    /edit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm still running BOC 5.01 on mine but I find battery life and general performance is really poor in the last few months... or is it just me?

I'm trying to work up the enthusiasm to go through reinstalling everything after a reflash again (:() but would people recommend 5.1.1 or should I just roll back to 4.4.4?
    I'm pretty "meh" on the "improvements" 5.x offered anyway so don't care either way.. all I want is that the apps I use work and the phone is responsive and the battery lasts preferably all day.

Any advice? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm still running BOC 5.01 on mine but I find battery life and general performance is really poor in the last few months... or is it just me?

I'm trying to work up the enthusiasm to go through reinstalling everything after a reflash again (:() but would people recommend 5.1.1 or should I just roll back to 4.4.4?
    I'm pretty "meh" on the "improvements" 5.x offered anyway so don't care either way.. all I want is that the apps I use work and the phone is responsive and the battery lasts preferably all day.

Any advice? :)

Go to 5.1.1 my note 4 is running so much better since then i would say update it better battery life and no lag anymore with stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

On Meteor, can I use any of the firmwares on sammobile instead of waiting months for Meteor?

Go to 5.1.1 my note 4 is running so much better since then i would say update it better battery life and no lag anymore with stuff.

So I downloaded the VF 5.1.1 image from the above link and used ODIN 3.10 to install.. works away through it but fails at the very end saying the partition size is too big?
    exact error is: "Volume size is too big 81920 <204800 ODIN: Invalid ext4 image"

Also happens with the 3IE 5.1.1 image

Reboot then prompts to use Kies to recover the phone which thankfully does work, but leaves me back with the O2 5.01 image

Any ideas?

EDIT: Found this... http://www.droidviews.com/fix-invalid-ext4-image-error-in-odin-while-installing-firmware-on-samsung-devices/ ... trying now!

EDIT 2: Success! :D

EDIT 3: Err sort of! That's not English! :p Let's try that again

EDIT 4: Ahh that's better! Must have been the PIT file repairing the partition structure as on another go with just the VF image it now seems fine.. finally! But hopefully this might be useful to someone else :)

What have people used to root after going to 5.1.1? I tried CF-autoroot as I have previously (just run it via Odin) but it caused a boot loop.

Not my weekend with Android apparently lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    What have people used to root after going to 5.1.1? I tried CF-autoroot as I have previously (just run it via Odin) but it caused a boot loop.

I'm in the same boat as yourself... if you find out a way... let me know.... I'm using the unbranded version of 5.1.1

TIA
    Dpjmie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

dpjmie wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as yourself... if you find out a way... let me know.... I'm using the unbranded version of 5.1.1

TIA
    Dpjmie

Link for that unbranded firmware?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Not my weekend with Android apparently lol..

With 5.1.1, Samsung have locked down root at the kernel level so none of the autoroot methods will work. You basically need to flash a modified kernel that allows root and then try to root.

I haven't tried this method yet. If you don't understand what they're talking about here, I'd suggest avoiding it:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/snapdragon-dev/kernel-5-1-1-selinux-enforcing-t3190799

Advertisement