Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung galaxy note 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Probably the wrong place to ask :p, but I can get a Note 4 from a friend for €400. It is basically new.

So one year later could you recommend it for the price?.

Can sell my old LG G2 at CEX for 170, so not that expensive to buy the 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Yes, they are a super phone. Granted I had some issues after the last update but a reboot of the operating system sorted that out. I love mine and having seen an Note recently, I wouldn't be in a rush to upgrade until maybe the note 6. At 400 you can't go wrong.

Yes, they are a super phone. Granted I had some issues after the last update but a reboot of the operating system sorted that out. I love mine and having seen an Note recently, I wouldn't be in a rush to upgrade until maybe the note 6. At 400 you can't go wrong.

Thank you Darragh.

I bought it. Some upgrade from the LG G2.

I bought the official Samsung cover, spare battery and a screen protector.

One question though guys:

I have a three branded model. Do i have to get the phone unlocked before i flash a UK or German unbranded firmware?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Thank you Darragh.

I bought it. Some upgrade from the LG G2.

I bought the official Samsung cover, spare battery and a screen protector.

One question though guys:

I have a three branded model. Do i have to get the phone unlocked before i flash a UK or German unbranded firmware?

Cheers

They're two different things on the phone so it won't make a difference. Are you sure it's actually locked? A lot of the time the end bill phones aren't sim locked. Go ahead and flash the German unbranded firmware. Just remember to factory reset after you do it or else you won't get over the air updates

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Quick query folks. I'm finally pulling the trigger on the OP2 and want to sell my Note 4 soon. How much should I be asking? It's in absolute mint condition having been in an otterbox since the day I bought it aswell as having a glass screen protector on it. It's locked to emobile/meteor but I could get it unlocked. I have the box and all accessories aswell as the receipt.

• Advertisement

Quick query folks. I'm finally pulling the trigger on the OP2 and want to sell my Note 4 soon. How much should I be asking? It's in absolute mint condition having been in an otterbox since the day I bought it aswell as having a glass screen protector on it. It's locked to emobile/meteor but I could get it unlocked. I have the box and all accessories aswell as the receipt.

€350-400 if you want to get rid of it fairly quickly. €400-450 if you're not in a rush.

My new Note 4 is on COH4 with Three.

Has anyone outside of 3 got the latest Samsung update that implemented Samsung's version of the new Marshmallow Doze-like feature?

Would i be better of flashing a German or UK unbranded Firmware to get faster updayes such as the one i mentioned? I guess i would be.

Cheers fellow Note owners

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

My new Note 4 is on COH4 with Three.

Has anyone outside of 3 got the latest Samsung update that implemented Samsung's version of the new Marshmallow Doze-like feature?

Would i be better of flashing a German or UK unbranded Firmware to get faster updayes such as the one i mentioned? I guess i would be.

Cheers fellow Note owners

I'd go for German if I were you - I had the UK stock unbranded (flashed when I first got my phone, 4.4.3), and it was one of the very last to get 5.1.1!! I'm now on German stock unbranded, as they were one of the first (outside of Vodafone branded) to get the 5.1.1 (current latest version) and seem quicker in general than UK unbranded.

Received another update today, doesn't seem to do anything really

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Received another update today, doesn't seem to do anything really

Are you with a carrier griff?

It may be the Smart manager update i was on about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Same here all I got was the vibration back when lift my phone up.battery still terrible

Are you with a carrier griff?

It may be the Smart manager update i was on about

Nope I'm unbranded German Sim-free from Amazon. The Smart Manager came one or two updates ago. As far as I can see this is a security update. There's a new section in About Device called 'Android Security Patch Level'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Morning all,

QQ... what's the best clean/stock ROM for these nowadays that's also stable and supports things like the fingerprint reader properly?

I'm still using stock 5.1.1 but did root it recently to get rid of ads but as usual it's lagging a bit so will probably need to reset it soon anyway and might as well take the opportunity to put on a non-bloated image.

Cheers!

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    what's the best clean/stock ROM for these nowadays that's also stable and

I do not have a custom rom on mine, but i am part of the Note 4 XDA Whatsapp group.

SimplRom is a rom that the guys seem to think is really good.

It is a TW based rom, but i am not sure if the fingerprint sensor works or not.

I can ask and get back to you

I do not have a custom rom on mine, but i am part of the Note 4 XDA Whatsapp group.

SimplRom is a rom that the guys seem to think is really good.

It is a TW based rom, but i am not sure if the fingerprint sensor works or not.

I can ask and get back to you

That'd be great.. thanks :)

The Dev confirmed that the fingerprint functionality is working.

The guys who use it ofter show 9 hour SOT screenshots. YMMW

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Morning all,

QQ... what's the best clean/stock ROM for these nowadays that's also stable and supports things like the fingerprint reader properly?

I'm still using stock 5.1.1 but did root it recently to get rid of ads but as usual it's lagging a bit so will probably need to reset it soon anyway and might as well take the opportunity to put on a non-bloated image.

Cheers!

It won't have a fingerprint scanner until CM13 but I'm using CM12.1 the last while and I can't fault it. Much improved battery lift (greenify helps) too. You'll lose apps like S-Note and the camera isn't as good as stock but otherwise it's a much better user experience.

Anyone on here do rooting I have a mac so its not that straight forward for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Anyone else notice the push notifications for emails/apps is slow?

The gmail app is the one that I need to notify me almost immediately, but it can take up to 30 minutes.

eMobile, Android 5.1.1

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the push notifications for emails/apps is slow?

The gmail app is the one that I need to notify me almost immediately, but it can take up to 30 minutes.

eMobile, Android 5.1.1

I've tried a few different mail apps at this stage but I find CloudMagic very good and instant notifications

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

what's the best deal for one of these at the moment? sim free or prepay.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iwishiknew

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has come across a problem with battery drain. My phone drains fairly normally until about 10% and then shuts down without warning. any suggestions for a cause / cure please?

Thanks

IWIK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Hootanany wrote: »
    Anyone on here do rooting I have a mac so its not that straight forward for me?

I've use Virtualbox with a Windows 8/10 guest several times without issue - you just need to enable the USB device under ports in the guest settings.

If you don't have access to a Windows ISO to make your Virtualbox guest, you can download an evaluation copy of Windows 10 as described at http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/microsoft-launches-free-90-day-trial-version-of-windows-10/.

I have also used Heimdall on Ubuntu (also as a Virtualbox guest) but haven't done the kernel flash required to root on 5.1.1 - not even sure if that's possible.

TBH, I'm not convinced the upgrade from 4.4 was worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Arbie

iwishiknew wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has come across a problem with battery drain. My phone drains fairly normally until about 10% and then shuts down without warning. any suggestions for a cause / cure please?

Thanks

IWIK

I have had the exact same problem below about 15%. I brought it back to Vodafone for repair & just got it back this week. Fonfix/Fonua said it was a software issue that they fixed by updating it to 5.1.1

Unfortunately it was already 5.1.1 so they didn't actually update anything & the problem is still there so I'm sending it in again tomorrow.

The Dev confirmed that the fingerprint functionality is working.

The guys who use it ofter show 9 hour SOT screenshots. YMMW

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip mate.. installed this yesterday and everything is much snappier and virtually no bloat :)

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iwishiknew

Arbie wrote: »
    I have had the exact same problem below about 15%. I brought it back to Vodafone for repair & just got it back this week. Fonfix/Fonua said it was a software issue that they fixed by updating it to 5.1.1

Unfortunately it was already 5.1.1 so they didn't actually update anything & the problem is still there so I'm sending it in again tomorrow.

Thanks... I'd be interested to hear how you get on if you get the chance..

Bluefrog wrote: »
    I've use Virtualbox with a Windows 8/10 guest several times without issue - you just need to enable the USB device under ports in the guest settings.

If you don't have access to a Windows ISO to make your Virtualbox guest, you can download an evaluation copy of Windows 10 as described at http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/microsoft-launches-free-90-day-trial-version-of-windows-10/.

I have also used Heimdall on Ubuntu (also as a Virtualbox guest) but haven't done the kernel flash required to root on 5.1.1 - not even sure if that's possible.

TBH, I'm not convinced the upgrade from 4.4 was worth the hassle.

Thanks i tried that and failed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

AngelaRI wrote: »
    I'd go for German if I were you - I had the UK stock unbranded (flashed when I first got my phone, 4.4.3), and it was one of the very last to get 5.1.1!! I'm now on German stock unbranded, as they were one of the first (outside of Vodafone branded) to get the 5.1.1 (current latest version) and seem quicker in general than UK unbranded.

are you rooting the device in order to flash a new ROM, would like android marshmallow but also want to use SkyGo and if i Root i loose SkyGo altogether.

Cheers

Advertisement