Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung galaxy note 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 funkybuttmonkey

Had my note 4 stolen in Electric Picnic and No insurance. Anyone have any idea as to where is the cheapest place to buy one again? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Link for that unbranded firmware?

Sorry it took so long, the boards.ie app just says loading when posting and wouldn't post, not sure if it the app or my phone but the link is
    http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/55104/N910FXXU1COH4_N910FTPD1COH1_TPD/

Im just wondering if its normal for the about phone to list the phone number as unknown, i have installed the stock firmware on 5.1.1. Can someone check who is on the three firmware, or any other for that matter is it normal, or is it the fact I've changed to stock??

Screenshot_2015-09-14-13-38-13_copy-7aBlhVGp.png

TIA
    Dpjmie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

dpjmie wrote: »
    Im just wondering if its normal for the about phone to list the phone number as unknown, i have installed the stock firmware on 5.1.1. Can someone check who is on the three firmware, or any other for that matter is it normal, or is it the fact I've changed to stock??

Screenshot_2015-09-14-13-38-13_copy-7aBlhVGp.png

TIA
    Dpjmie

My number is showing up, although it is the 'sim card's' number and not my actual number.

The update itself is extremely smooth. Got the German unbranded update ota today and find the phone much snappier and more responsive. When I bought the phone it was on 5.0.1 and I found it sluggish compared to my note 3 even. It rips along now though. Can't comment on battery yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Had my note 4 stolen in Electric Picnic and No insurance. Anyone have any idea as to where is the cheapest place to buy one again? Thanks

You could try Adverts.ie but they aren't a cheap phone as you no doubt know. I hope you got the stolen Note 4 blacklisted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Are there any beginners guides to rooting a Note 4? Im on 5.1.1 and the model number is SM-N910F.

I found this guide but it's a year old: http://androidxda.com/root-samsung-galaxy-note-4-sm-n910f

Is there anything of a similar writeup thats more recent? Or are there any steps I should change in the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Are there any beginners guides to rooting a Note 4? Im on 5.1.1 and the model number is SM-N910F.

I found this guide but it's a year old: http://androidxda.com/root-samsung-galaxy-note-4-sm-n910f

Is there anything of a similar writeup thats more recent? Or are there any steps I should change in the above?

I'm afraid you've picked a bad time to learn how to root a note 4. The 5.1 update brought changes to make it much harder. The steps in the link you posted won't work. Take a look at my post from above. If you're new to rooting you shouldn't try it. I haven't bothered myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

lads is the 5.1 update ya'll have is it stock or custom??? the other halfs note 4 is a bit sluggish and freezing its on 5.o1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

moggser wrote: »
    lads is the 5.1 update ya'll have is it stock or custom??? the other halfs note 4 is a bit sluggish and freezing its on 5.o1

Mine is stock, got it over the air from 3.

tallus wrote: »
    Mine is stock, got it over the air from 3.

How long you got it?? Emobile is **** for ota

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

How long you got it?? Emobile is **** for ota

Easy to flash it via Odin. Longest part of the whole thing is there downloading. 5.1 has made a world of difference to the phone.

Easy to flash it via Odin. Longest part of the whole thing is there downloading. 5.1 has made a world of difference to the phone.

Any links.?

I've just rooted my device on 5.1.1 but not sure if all the features work as noted above, but if you want the files and info, let me know

Dpjmie

Any links.?

This should work and the instructions are below the download link.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/56855/N910FXXU1COI3_N910FBTU1COI1_BTU/

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/56855/N910FXXU1COI3_N910FBTU1COI1_BTU/

Lovely I'll have a look at it when she gets back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

BTU was one of the most recent (i.e. slowest!) to update to 5.1.1. I flashed to BTU (UK stock unbranded) from VDI (vodafone ireland) last year (to get rid of branding and bloatware) and got so sick of waiting for the OTA 5.1.1 update that I recently reflashed to DBT (Germany unbranded stock). They seem to be among the first unbranded stock to update in general (Vodafone was the quickest overall)

I'm on the DBT too, anytime I've flashed it myself I've used the German one.

Only issue is you won't get OTA updates with the German one but its so easy to flash it that it makes no real odds.

You will get OTA updates with the German one. I have a simfree Note 4 from Amazon Germany on DBT and received two OTA updates in the last month. The important thing is that when you flash the DBT firmware for the first time (coming from branded network or BTU) that you do a factory reset after the flash so that your CSC changes to the German one. If you don't do this your 'consumer code' remains the same as it was before and the firmware changes to German and confuses the OTA process.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    You will get OTA updates with the German one. I have a simfree Note 4 from Amazon Germany on DBT and received two OTA updates in the last month. The important thing is that when you flash the DBT firmware for the first time (coming from branded network or BTU) that you do a factory reset after the flash so that your CSC changes to the German one. If you don't do this your 'consumer code' remains the same as it was before and the firmware changes to German and confuses the OTA process.

Yep, exactly what I did, and I got my second OTA update almost right away after flashing the original 5.1.1 DBT stock ROM, while the UK one was still lagging behind... No difference in actual software, but I'm sticking to the German one for the faster updates. UK is just too slow...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Anyone know where I could pick one of these up cheap enough. Most places still looking at €500+. I thought it would have dropped a decendecent bit in price by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Ebay would be your best bet to try and pick a new one up fairly cheap seen them there for about 440.

But they even hold there valve for a 2nd hand one I got 400 euros for my sim free one there last week crazy money to be paying for a year old 2nd hand phone.

Changed over to S6 edge plus and to be fair I don't miss the s pen at all as I maybe used it 20 times over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Seen it in carphone warehouse for 625 I think. I was expecting a bit of a price drop considering its out over a year. I've an s4 at the moment and just thinking about making the move for a bigger screen and I think the pen will come in handy. I'll check eBay anyway thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

What's the best way to backup abd reset one of these? Im having the world of issues since the last update.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What's the best way to backup abd reset one of these? Im having the world of issues since the last update.

Me too. The lock screen never works properly and takes ages to load once you eventually get to put in your fingerprint

I got another OTA update today on my unbranded German model. Haven't noticed anything different but it promised improved battery life etc. This is the third one in about a month

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I got another OTA update today on my unbranded German model. Haven't noticed anything different but it promised improved battery life etc. This is the third one in about a month

I just got it too. The last 5.1.1 update made a massive difference to my battery life (after turning off background data on Google Play Services and a few others also), I'm getting close on 2 days use out of a single charge!! I'm not playing heavy games (Threes, etc I'm doing plenty, but nothing resource-intensive), but I am checking mail, using Viber/WhatsApp/messages and phone functions. I'm on wifi most of the time and use Llama to turn off the wifi when out of range (saves battery on searching for wifi networks), but that's all pretty standard stuff, so highly impressed already. If this latest one delivers on the promise of even better battery life, happy days indeed!!!

Lost my charger, where's the best place to pick up a replacement? Don't mind if it's a regular one or wireless pad

8-10 wrote: »
    Lost my charger, where's the best place to pick up a replacement? Don't mind if it's a regular one or wireless pad

Amazon is selling genuine Fast Chargers at last - I picked up a spare not so long ago to keep at work and to take travelling, and it's identical to the one I got with the phone: fast charger, genuine Samsung, the whole deal.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013SYO50U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

• Advertisement

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Amazon is selling genuine Fast Chargers at last - I picked up a spare not so long ago to keep at work and to take travelling, and it's identical to the one I got with the phone: fast charger, genuine Samsung, the whole deal.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013SYO50U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Great thanks a lot for this! Such a good price I might get 2

Advertisement