Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung galaxy note 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

TBi wrote: »
    I found that restricting background data for Google now and Google services doubled my battery life on an s6. I'd say the same would apply for the note 4.

Check battery stats to see what's using the most battery.

Went and had a look and i have used 70% of my battery now and 32% is from the OS witch is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I was also having poor battery life post upgrade, but after removing some apps I now get 1 or 2 days depending on usage.

Can't pinpoint any one app in particular as I removed several in one go, but my suspicion was that the culprit was one of the apps that use GPS for location services and notifications. I also reverted to stock touchwiz launcher and battery life was back to normal. From what research online I have done, battery issues are nearly always due to 3rd party apps and that's been my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've noticed the battery life has considerably deteriorated since going to Lollipop as well vs 4.4.4 but I've just tried disabling the apps above (they are in the top 5 alright) and will try that for a day or two.

Failing that I'll roll back as well. Lollipop doesn't give me anything I'd miss TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hi just got the note 4 does anybody know how to root it with a mac?
    many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Hootanany wrote: »
    many thanks in advance.

I use a mac but when it comes to rooting the best guides seem to use windows / linux, id suggest getting virtual box (its free) and a linux bistro such as ubuntu and follow some of the tutorials on google... another option would be to take the 30 day trial of windows (No key necessary, follow guide and then delete the virtual pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

rooting with a mac, good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

many thanks in advance.

If your mac is an Intel Mac you should be able to install Windows and root via Odin. I had to do that to root my tablet.
    There is a Mac version of Odin, but it's total crap, I tried it but could not get it to do anything.

Long winded I know, but unless you can borrow someone's laptop or pc, you're kind of snookered. (or if you have a pc in work... )

Or you could follow dpjmie's advice, which looks to be less drawn out than installing windows.

Thanks for the advice im looking at the virtual box thing its a bit daunting:eek:
    Is there anywhere in Dublin that can root a phone for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mobilephone235

Thank you!

Thank you!

It was a pleasure:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Thanks for the advice im looking at the virtual box thing its a bit daunting:eek:
    Is there anywhere in Dublin that can root a phone for you?

As a matter of interest why are you rooting it?

tallus wrote: »
    As a matter of interest why are you rooting it?

I would like Cyanogen on it battery not great I had a one plus and liked its layout.
    With the note there is no way to restrict apps from waking up.
    Profile mode is another one.
    Is there anyway to get these without root?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Any have a suggestion for a battery monitor app?

Recently I've been getting very little from my battery, the phone sits in my pocket 90% of the day and will be at 15-20% by the end of a 12hr shift, 95%+ when I start..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Any have a suggestion for a battery monitor app?

Recently I've been getting very little from my battery, the phone sits in my pocket 90% of the day and will be at 15-20% by the end of a 12hr shift, 95%+ when I start..

Turn off background data for Google Services. That drains a lot of battery even with your phone in your pocket. I disabled it on mine my battery life almost doubled.

Turn off background data for Google Services. That drains a lot of battery even with your phone in your pocket. I disabled it on mine my battery life almost doubled.

Slightly embarrassed to ask but how do I do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Slightly embarrassed to ask but how do I do that?

Settings -> Data Usage -> "..." (in the top right corner) -> Restrict background data"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Settings -> Data Usage -> "..." (in the top right corner) -> Restrict background data"

What apps and services does it affect ?

AngelaRI wrote: »

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

KTR1C wrote: »
    What apps and services does it affect ?

Whatever you want it to. I restricted Google app (and I think Google Now but I can't see it in my restricted list). Makes a massive difference to battery life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Whatever you want it to. I restricted Google app (and I think Google Now but I can't see it in my restricted list). Makes a massive difference to battery life.

Is there anyway to remove the exclamation notification in the bar?

• Advertisement

Is there anyway to remove the exclamation notification in the bar?

Instead of restricting for all using this global setting, you can also scroll down on this data usage settings page and go into individual apps - there should be a checkbox to 'restrict background data' per app, and this doesn't throw up the annoying warning. It'll be annoying doing this app by app, but gives you more control on which to allow and which to restrict (facebook!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Does anyone know if 5.1.1 is available as stock option (not currently on sammobile) or know a date when its expected??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

dpjmie wrote: »
    Does anyone know if 5.1.1 is available as stock option (not currently on sammobile) or know a date when its expected??

Supposedly there was a small 5.1 release a few weeks ago in Russia. Haven't heard of anything since.

I'd be surprised if it got the new touchwiz though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i got two tempered glass protectors for this phone....both suffer from a halo effect where the glass doesnt stick all around the sides due to a very slight curve in the note 4's screen.

can anyone recommend tempered glass that would fit without that effect ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Where is the cheapest place to get a Note 4? I see it's available from Carphone Warehouse for €599 but €669 on 3.
    Looking for it simfree.

Thanks.

Where is the cheapest place to get a Note 4? I see it's available from Carphone Warehouse for €599 but €669 on 3.
    Looking for it simfree.

Thanks.

Get the €599 one (Vodafone?) and unlock it, unlocking costs less than €30. I used sim-unlock.net on my Vodafone Note 4 and my Three sim has been working in it with no issues since October last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

where is the cheapest place to buy these? either online or locally.

will it go lower than €599 when the Note5 is released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Anyone know where to get a good new battery ?. As i got one on eBay and it doesn't even charge to 100% LoL only 90% LoL. Was post to be a real Samsung one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I would imagine you'll pick up a Note 4 on Donedeal in a few weeks for less than €400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Is the lollipop update from Vodafone Ireland worth doing or will it have the same issues as the others. Phone is working grand on kit kat.

Advertisement