Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung galaxy note 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

Are we finally seeing a Lollipop rollout on meteor?? I have a software update notification in my tray for the last few hours but I'm not at WiFi until tomorrow to check it out. Seems like a big one.

Anyone else on meteor getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

Yep it was the Lollipop update for meteor. Pretty happy with it, it's ages since I watched the original "what's new with Lollipop" videos, so I must brush up on the 5.0 and 5.0.1 improvements. I am liking the visual changes and animations so far. Nice upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I'm finding Lollipop a bit buggy on 3. Wifi works when it wants to and the phone is a bit laggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

I plan on getting this phone but the ability to root is a big deal to me........

dont think the S6 will be any different than the note 4 on this aspect

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

tallus wrote: »
    I'm finding Lollipop a bit buggy on 3. Wifi works when it wants to and the phone is a bit laggy.

If this is your home wifi, there's a known issue and a workaround.
    Lollipop doesn't seem to like 5Ghz wifi at all :(
    And 2.4Ghz, many newer home routers have 13 wifi channels set by default. Lollipop isn't happy with anything over 11. I had issues with my Note 4 dropping wifi at home but all was fine at work, and KitKat had had no issues. I changed my router settings to reduce my wifi channels from 13 to 10 and have had no issues with wifi since.
    Just google " Lollipop wifi bug "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

AngelaRI wrote: »
    If this is your home wifi, there's a known issue and a workaround.
    Lollipop doesn't seem to like 5Ghz wifi at all :(
    And 2.4Ghz, many newer home routers have 13 wifi channels set by default. Lollipop isn't happy with anything over 11. I had issues with my Note 4 dropping wifi at home but all was fine at work, and KitKat had had no issues. I changed my router settings to reduce my wifi channels from 13 to 10 and have had no issues with wifi since.
    Just google " Lollipop wifi bug "

Thank you I'll give this a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Just wanted to check if anyone else had noticed a serious drop in battery life over the last few days? From full charge to virtually empty in 13.5 hrs with minimal use! Checking the battery usage....Whatsapp 12% - with no use, Facebook 11% with very minimal use.... wondering what the f is going on! Would normally get 1.5+ days from battery. The only thing I can think of is that i have connected a Sony smartwatch to the phone about 3 weeks ago and there was a update that people seem to be complaining about

Just wondering if anyone else had notice anything funny ( and by funny I mean irritating as hell! ) recently

PS On 3, Lollipop 5.0.1, build XXU1BOC3 and use fast charger all the time

Thanks.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Just wanted to check if anyone else had noticed a serious drop in battery life over the last few days? From full charge to virtually empty in 13.5 hrs with minimal use! Checking the battery usage....Whatsapp 12% - with no use, Facebook 11% with very minimal use.... wondering what the f is going on! Would normally get 1.5+ days from battery. The only thing I can think of is that i have connected a Sony smartwatch to the phone about 3 weeks ago and there was a update that people seem to be complaining about

Just wondering if anyone else had notice anything funny ( and by funny I mean irritating as hell! ) recently

Thanks.....

Yeah, mine is gone to ****e lately too. I have to charge it every evening at about 5.30 despite the fact it is on charge all night every night while i sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

nicebutdim wrote: »

Thanks.....

I found out that Latest update of Whatsapp keep the phone awake all time ( afterall it is made by facebook now), if you check your usage of Whatsapp and see connection time it will be in hours.

Only solution i found is by unchecking the sync contacts option in Setting-accounts-whatsapp works beautifully, but you will have to do it once or twice a day as it keep switching sync on.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

deep1 wrote: »
    I found out that Latest update of Whatsapp keep the phone awake all time ( afterall it is made by facebook now), if you check your usage of Whatsapp and see connection time it will be in hours.

Only solution i found is by unchecking the sync contacts option in Setting-accounts-whatsapp works beautifully, but you will have to do it once or twice a day as it keep switching sync on.

That makes perfect sense, thanks. Completely tallies with what I'm seeing.

I'll keep monitoring it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

I just got my Note 4 from amazon.de today, the box was a bit roughed up and the screen protector for the phone looked like it had been put back on after being taken off. It is a 910C model with the Exynos processor, is this fine for 4g and everything in Ireland? It did state on Amazon that it was a 910F but I'm not sure if it's worth making a fuss about as the device itself is in perfect condition.

C variant is good.

These are the 4G bands, supports virtually all of them

Cellular Network 2.5G (EDGE, GSM/GPRS ) MHz:850, 900, 1800, 1900
    3.5G (HSPA+, UMTS/WCDMA ) MHz:850, 900, 1900, 2100
    4G (LTE ) Bands:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 17, 20

I got the U variant, it doesn't have 17,20 bands. I still have 4G signals but with 17 & 20 it would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Might be buying an unlocked note 4. It will probably have Vodafone branding on it so if I flash stock firmware on it will that remove bloatware and branding and still remain unlocked? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

iggy wrote: »
    Might be buying an unlocked note 4. It will probably have Vodafone branding on it so if I flash stock firmware on it will that remove bloatware and branding and still remain unlocked? Cheers

I have a vodafone note 4 there is no branding on it what so ever. No vodafone logo when i turn on the phone. There is a few vodafone apps that come installed on it but you can delate them like i have.

Other then that its a stock phone from vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I have a vodafone note 4 there is no branding on it what so ever. No vodafone logo when i turn on the phone. There is a few vodafone apps that come installed on it but you can delate them like i have.

Other then that its a stock phone from vodafone

Cheers. Got it today and can't see any branding or bloatware so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Battery life on mine has really tanked since the 5.0.1 update.
    Kit kat was getting 1.5 days average now I'm lucky to get 18hrs!
    I have gone through everything as much as I can on a non rooted handset but cannot find what is causing this.
    BATTERY graph is showing the phone awake regularly whilst screen is off but I cannot find the wakelocked app.
    I've run through the viber and whatsapp fixes with no joy and don't have FB app installed.
    Nw I'm left wondering if it's a play services error as a lot of cpu cycles are being taken up there.
    Greenify has made an improvement albeit a small one.

I've even gone so far as swapping batteries to rule out a bad cell, same result.
    I have a zero lemon 10000mah case and battery on the way but I really want to root cause the battery issue rather than just throw in a bigger battery so if anyone has any further suggestions please feel free.

Edit:
    Just to add on safe mode the battery life is still poor, which is leading me towards the "play services" error conclusion.

banie01 wrote: »
    The Battery life on mine has really tanked since the 5.0.1 update.
    Kit kat was getting 1.5 days average now I'm lucky to get 18hrs!
    I have gone through everything as much as I can on a non rooted handset but cannot find what is causing this.
    BATTERY graph is showing the phone awake regularly whilst screen is off but I cannot find the wakelocked app.
    I've run through the viber and whatsapp fixes with no joy and don't have FB app installed.
    Nw I'm left wondering if it's a play services error as a lot of cpu cycles are being taken up there.
    Greenify has made an improvement albeit a small one.

I've even gone so far as swapping batteries to rule out a bad cell, same result.
    I have a zero lemon 10000mah case and battery on the way but I really want to root cause the battery issue rather than just throw in a bigger battery so if anyone has any further suggestions please feel free.

Edit:
    Just to add on safe mode the battery life is still poor, which is leading me towards the "play services" error conclusion.

Post a screenshot of your battery Graph and battery info.

deep1 wrote: »
    Post a screenshot of your battery Graph and battery info.

Here ya go, this info is whilst running in safe mode.
    Even in safe mode the phone is losing 7-8% per hour

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Same issue here?
    https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=165558#c20

Does the problem go away if you hang the phone off wifi?

Same issue here?
    https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=165558#c20

Does the problem go away if you hang the phone off wifi?

Thats me flashing back to Kit-Kat then ;)

• Advertisement

Looks like chrome is chewing Your battery, i stopped using it for same reason, built in browser is based on chromium and battery drain is nothing.
    If you have to use chrome then i will look into sync bookmarks and uncheck it and sign out of your google act in chrome.

Also data usage, turn off the background data for apps you dont need to do background task such as facebook etc.

I usally get over 1 days standby and 6 hrs screentime, but i wish if samsung and google improves it as battery is so unpredictable and looks like spending much time on figuring out what is causing drain than enjoying the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Mine is losing 7-8% an hour as well on the latest lollipop firmware see below you can see the linear bit when I went to bed at midnight as the day ticks over to 26th it just drains.

Screenshot_2015-05-26-11-12-07.png

I am on 1 day and still have 21% juice left.

Its not the best tbh.

the daily mail online is using 13% of battery on mine, google play 9%

I moved on to BOD2 and battery life is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Inquitus wrote: »
    I moved on to BOD2 and battery life is much better.

Which one did you use? Link?
    On BOC4 right now, no complaints.

Which one did you use? Link?
    On BOC4 right now, no complaints.

Repacked stock ROM.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/general/rom-unofficial-repacked-lollipop-t3105093

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Garathon

Having similar problems with battery use since update to lollipop few weeks ago. Need to charge it daily now, whereas before I was getting over a day out of it, using plenty of messaging apps, radio, youtube etc. At the minute it's telling me that 'Android System' is using the bulk, 34% of my battery.

I'm not sure I know enough to go screwing around with it...I used to find juice defender was doing a good job but it won't run on this version....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The last few days I'm having battery issues. Lost 30 odd % last night in 6 hours unplugged near the bed. Android system using 40% so I did a factory reset and its not much better.

quite a big increase in scoring here, will see how battery goes. This is with latest hk f/w

Screenshot_2015-05-31-23-44-21.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

The battery situation is gone so bad I'm considering just selling the phone.

Advertisement