Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Daimakaimura/Ghouls N Ghosts bootleg.

Not very happy so far. It wasn't well packaged and the corner of the box had torn and while it powers, the service and test buttons don't work so I can't add a credit to play it and the dip switches don't seem to correlate to what the CPS1 version should do.

Putting it in test mode for example just gives me garbled BG tiles and level 1 music!

Will get in touch with the seller and see what to do.

523482.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,454 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sorry but it's hard to feel sympathetic when your Aero looks that minty :D

Hahaha, you could at least try!

Master of the Universe

I wonder is it actually some kind of grounding issue? Service/test issue buttons not working would potentially indicate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭geotrig

thank **** the glitching here seems to have stpped ,

ermm cp its a bootleg so may not map to cps1 at all ,have you tried coining up at the coin switch ? is it a single layer boot ? also a few maybe most ,cannt remember , dont have test menus most stuff is contronlled by dips

• Advertisement

Yeah, was just chancing it with the dips. It’s a single PCB.

I’ll try at the coin mech, but I need to pick/drill those locks.

Master of the Universe

One of my cabinets plays legitimate boards 100% fine, however any boot I've ever put near it either doesn't coin up/go to a test menu or has interference on the screen.

Would be interesting to see if you get the same issues with another machine. Do you have a supergun maybe?

yeah you just need to flick the switch to coin , a good few pcbs dont /wont coin up with test/service and do very little.

Sounds like I was really naive about bootlegs!

I don’t have another way to test, but might be able to swing something.

Will wait and see what the seller says.

geotrig wrote: »
    yeah you just need to flick the switch to coin , a good few pcbs dont /wont coin up with test/service and do very little.

Cool, I’ll try that later.

EDIT: Was able to queue up credits doing this as suggested, so thanks!

Game works, sort of. The audio screwed up. Background hiss and what sounds like channels missing.

• Advertisement

any bigger picture of the board , try touching some sound components to see if any difference is heard , as an aside alot of boots similar to this cheaped out on the sound sections (as opposed to the rest :Pac: ) and can have not so lovely sound, the adjustment pot could be a bit faulty as well can can lead to what you've described

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

It's a very good game. They had it in token at some point. Bootleg is nigh on identical to the real thing. I think the Capcom logo is missing and that's about it.

I had a perfect bootleg and dodgy legit board. Fixed the legit one, and now the bootleg is enjoying retirement sipping tea on the veranda while complaining half heartedly about the vapours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

wQ5B6qHl.png

XyTwjsSl.png

I was told, by the company that sold me this, that it would take upwards of 2 months.

Got here in 2 weeks, delighted.

Master of the Universe

Wow that looks lovely!

I'll have to get around to updating my Everdrive - check out my v1.00 model, bought it when the first production run was done.

Label is so discoloured it almost looks like a proto cart from the 90s :D

IMG-20200821-121540805.jpg

o1s1n wrote: »
    Wow that looks lovely!

I'll have to get around to updating my Everdrive - check out my v1.00 model, bought it when the first production run was done.

Label is so discoloured it almost looks like a proto cart from the 90s :D

IMG-20200821-121540805.jpg

What a relic lol I bought mine purely so I'd be able to use the save-state feature, without needing to rely on an emulator (and the noticeable input lag that accompanies it with certain twitchy games).

Add scanlines to that (thanks to the Mega SG) and it's a beautiful creation. I love it.

1nqT1Olh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭Inviere

without needing to rely on an emulator (and the noticeable input lag that accompanies it with certain twitchy games).

What games? Unless you're using Genecyst from 1998 you shouldn't be experiencing any noticeable input delay? RetroArch (with runahead latency reduction below that of original hardware) with the Blastem core (cycle accurate MegaDrive emulation) & you'd be very hard pressed to know if you were playing original hardware or not.

Master of the Universe

What a relic lol I bought mine purely so I'd be able to use the save-state feature, without needing to rely on an emulator (and the noticeable input lag that accompanies it with certain twitchy games).

Add scanlines to that (thanks to the Mega SG) and it's a beautiful creation. I love it.

Yeah that's the one thing mine doesn't do, save states. However it's actually rather interesting to see how it holds up all these years later. I updated the firmware recently and it now supports 32gb cards.

They're some gorgeous looking scanlines by the way, didn't realise the Mega SG did such a nice job on htem.

Inviere wrote: »
    What games? Unless you're using Genecyst from 1998 you shouldn't be experiencing any noticeable input delay? RetroArch (with runahead latency reduction below that of original hardware) with the Blastem core (cycle accurate MegaDrive emulation) & you'd be very hard pressed to know if you were playing original hardware or not.

I use a Mega SG. It doesn't operate as an emulator like any other "clone" system does. I notice visually no input lag in the slightest, at least none that has hindered the way I play my games. The last time I played a Mega Drive game that was this responsive was on an actual Mega Drive.

Oh and to answer your question, I use Sonic the Hedgehog whenever I decide to test input lag. It's the only game I play that requires precise jumps. That, and Alex Kidd, but I can't stand the latter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My crummy Retron 5 seems to do most of those things just fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My crummy Retron 5 seems to do most of those things just fine!

Crummy ???? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Crummy ???? :pac:

It seems to be the prevailing opinion that they are children of a lesser god around here.
    I'm pretty fond of mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

My Retron 5 is great :)

Now, that I chucked the original crap out and fitted a Pi !!

Master of the Universe

Are these things fairly common in collections here?

Closest thing I've ever owned to a clone console was a Sega Genesis 3!

I use a Mega SG. It doesn't operate as an emulator like any other "clone" system does.

That's because it's FPGA based, unlike software emulation...this is hardware 'simulation'...recreating the circuitry of the original hardware as closely as is known. This approach has the benefit of little to no input lag from the unit itself (there will be some from the display panel, but that's unavoidable).

There are mitigations in reducing input lag to imperceptible levels on software emulation too...but it requires a lot more processing power than any of those clone consoles would be able for. See here for more info on how they claim to have reduced latency lower than original hardware - I can't say for sure if they have or not, but I can say it has been reduced to imperceptible levels, and radically transforms the feel of a game like Super Mario World, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc.
    Oh and to answer your question, I use Sonic the Hedgehog whenever I decide to test input lag. It's the only game I play that requires precise jumps. That, and Alex Kidd, but I can't stand the latter

Sonic is a good benchmark for testing input lag, definitely. With even a few frames of delay, the fun is completely sucked out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Inviere wrote: »

Jaysus !

Genecyst.

There's a blast from the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

o1s1n wrote: »
    Are these things fairly common in collections here?

Closest thing I've ever owned to a clone console was a Sega Genesis 3!

I have a "Super Retro Trio", the SNES on it is perfect, the NES on it is perfect but the Megadrive is a few frames too slow. Its almost unplayable & I believe many of the Megadrive SOC machines are like that for some reason.

McDermotX wrote: »
    Jaysus !

Genecyst.

Nesticle was another one!

McDermotX wrote: »
    Jaysus !

Genecyst.

The amount of people who quote faults with emulation, who have no recent experience with modern emulation is actually surprising. Not saying the chap I was replying to is in that gang at all though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Not gaming, but definitely retro. Picked up a very nice condition Psion series 3a for my retro PDA/Organiser collection. I actually used a Psion series 5 as my main computing and internet device for 6-9 months back in the day when I first moved to Dublin for work(I still have it and power it up from time to time).

Anyway, this series 3a looks like it was never used, and i like that its the walnut variant.

5Dbsba9.jpg

HLnrny5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Nice get Steve, we sold these in our company back in the day before they joined to Teklogix to become PsionTeklogix, then rebranded back to Psion to get bought by Motorola who were purchased by Zebra. Still a few lying around the office :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement