Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Picked up a couple of Commodore 64 bits to test out. I'd completely forgotten I'd some new old stock C64 machines that I picked up a few years ago until i was clearing out one of my storage lockers the other day, so I'll be opening and powering up one of those later tonight for the first time to test these out.

Nice and neat SD2IEC adaptor that doesn't need any cables.
    qO3tYjW.jpg

3RmaLH8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Picked up a couple of Commodore 64 bits to test out. I'd completely forgotten I'd some new old stock C64 machines that I picked up a few years ago until i was clearing out one of my storage lockers the other day, so I'll be opening and powering up one of those later tonight for the first time to test these out.

qO3tYjW.jpg

3RmaLH8.jpg

Nothing beats the smell of a minty fresh c64! :o
    Will you be 3D printing a case for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Nice - well worth getting a JiffyDOS addon for the C64. Enables fast loading of software from a emulated or real disk drive.

If you have any longboard C64's and you want to get rid :) let me know

Doge wrote: »
    Nothing beats the smell of a minty fresh c64! :o
    Will you be 3D printing a case for it?

I'll probably print something for it yes, will need to design up something as i dont see a case for this version.
    Only issue is this thing seems dead(the sd2iec), not a peep out of it on 3 different C64's(new old stock and older ones i know are perfect). Will get on to the seller and see what he says. There's LEDs on the board, but none are lighting up. Will see.
    KeRbDoG wrote: »

If you have any longboard C64's and you want to get rid :) let me know

I have an absolute load of c64 machines in storage, not sure whats there to be honesty its so long since i went through the stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

Bit hard to tell from the pic but do I see a short on the Atmel pins marked here:

525238.jpg

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    Bit hard to tell from the pic but do I see a short on the Atmel pins marked here:

Had a closer look, just some fluff.

Edit:
    At least the C64 works, thats the main thing. I've another few of these never been powered up or taken out of the box. I should really have a look at them and test, but then they'd be used :)

YGRzYnX.jpg

dyHxH7W.jpg

jzUanHu.jpg

jLUgIbn.jpg

dzZEqiZ.jpg

LEg2cZU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭geotrig

Beautiful, been lusting after a c64 for a while (Hollywood edition) mostly as that's what I had as a kid , I saw a good condition one before Xmas last year but had no funds for a purchase :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Omg that T2 version is minty fresh

eddhorse wrote: »
    Omg that T2 version is minty fresh

Yeah, new old stock find a few years ago. Guy used to run a couple of computer shops in the 80's and 90's (Dawson St and Dun Laoghaire). He retired and kept loads of stock, then passed away and his family sold off a lot of that stock(to me and I think a few others). I got a load of stuff that day, but really regret not sticking an offer in on an old school oscilloscope.

Sticker for the shop in case anyone knew it.
    kiVHOw4.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh yes, QTH, I remember hiking up there from the north of the city to get a few bits for my Spectrum, that was in the 80's... so just the other day really!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Oh yes, QTH, I remember hiking up there from the north of the city to get a few bits for my Spectrum, that was in the 80's... so just the other day really!

I did some quick googlefu there. Looks like the shop went into liquidation in 1993. So I guess thats when he took the stock to his house/storage place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Sticker for the shop in case anyone knew it.

I've been trying to remember the name of that place for aaaaaaaaaaaaages. I knew it began with Q, but the rest just wouldn't come to me. Cheers for that!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

QTH in Dun L was a cool little shop. Bought the odd C64 game in there and also a micro-switch Quickshot joystick. I thought it was the business compared to the wooden feeling non-micro switch version. This was before the ZipStick came along. Was down near where the snooker hall used to be, 50p for half an hours worth of lights over a table. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Andrew76 wrote: »
    QTH in Dun L was a cool little shop. Bought the odd C64 game in there and also a micro-switch Quickshot joystick. I thought it was the business compared to the wooden feeling non-micro switch version. This was before the ZipStick came along. Was down near where the snooker hall used to be, 50p for half an hours worth of lights over a table. :D

The Workman's Club, yeah. Those tables had small pockets, it's like they were practice tables. Any time we had money matches arranged with other mates at the Premier just up the road, or the Pierrot where the pockets were normal sized, we used to practice in the "Workers" beforehand. The pockets would seem like buckets after that in the Prem and Pierrot.

QTH, across from Knowles Electrical, and the old library. :pac:

Used to marvel at the Amiga 500 set up in there when buying budget C64 games out of my pocket money once every few weeks in the late 80's. They had a decent selection down there, but Peats was the place to go when you could afford to splash the cash.

Good times. :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Relikk wrote: »
    The Workman's Club, yeah. Those tables had small pockets, it's like they were practice tables. Any time we had money matches arranged with other mates at the Premier just up the road, or the Pierrot where the pockets were normal sized, we used to practice in the "Workers" beforehand. The pockets would seem like buckets after that in the Prem and Pierrot.

QTH, across from Knowles Electrical, and the old library. :pac:

Used to marvel at the Amiga 500 set up in there when buying budget C64 games out of my pocket money once every few weeks in the late 80's. They had a decent selection down there, but Peats was the place to go when you could afford to splash the cash.

Good times. :o

Good times indeed. Some of the tables in the workman’s were like ice rinks, you’d be waiting ages for the balls to stop! :D

A trip into town back then was a proper event aright, Peats was a magical place. Virgin Megastore, Easons for some monthly gaming magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭raven999

This Saturn controller arrived from the states today it's very nice works great
    IMG_20200908_123229087_HDR.jpg
    And comes with its own case

Had a moment of madness and I have one of these coming my way eventually. One of those moments when you look back and go 'ah, prob shouldn't have'
    525789.jpg
    No idea if its working and the case needs a whole lot of TLC :) I see a project!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,593 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Beautiful! Always wanted one of those. I've heard they're a hell of a lot bigger than you expect too.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Beautiful! Always wanted one of those. I've heard they're a hell of a lot bigger than you expect too.
    Indeed sir, someones else's photo comparing the sizes
    525792.jpg
    I haven't got the shipping estimate yet so I'm expecting the worst, can't be any heavier than the PS3 Dev server right?!

Master of the Universe

Bloody hell, she's a monster! A beautiful monster. I think what throws you is that it's the same parts more or less as the regular PS2, stand and all, just with gigantism!

If it's any heavier than the PS3 dev thingy then I fear for the foundation in your house :eek:

That's one hell of a nice collection of Playstation dev bits you have now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭Inviere

Intriguing piece! What's the difference between TEST and TOOL models?

Inviere wrote: »

Test units were for testing and running compiled code/games, and Tools were for developing and compiling that code. I think :)
    I have a good few test units and one Tool like the one above, but in much worse condition.

Test units were for testing and running compiled code/games, and Tools were for developing and compiling that code. I think :)
    I have a good few test units and one Tool like the one above, but in much worse condition.
    We really need a 'A&R Collections' thread to share/see :) From the pic, find it hard to think a system could be in worse condition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Had a moment of madness and I have one of these coming my way eventually. One of those moments when you look back and go 'ah, prob shouldn't have'

We've all been there, most more than once. I regret nothing.

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »

If I remember correctly, half the unit is a PS2 and the other half runs some version of Linux?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

That's a nice bit of kit, Health to enjoy, hopefully not too much to do to get her up and running.

We really need a 'A&R Collections' thread to share/see :) From the pic, find it hard to think a system could be in worse condition

I think it was brought up before(years ago), but got knocked on the head as people were afraid to be showing basically all the pricey stuff they had in their homes. Which I guess is a valid concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

I think it was brought up before(years ago), but got knocked on the head as people were afraid to be showing basically all the pricey stuff they had in their homes. Which I guess is a valid concern.

True enough. I have a Shigeru Miyamoto pubic hair, authenticated by Nintendo. I keep it in a glass case in it's own room and it's so valuable you can't look at it directly. Like an inverse vampire, you can only view it by looking at it's reflection in a mirror.

Master of the Universe

I may have missed that memo :eek:

• Advertisement

Had that in the back of my head, folks being worried about showing off pricy stuff in their place...rather than the pube collection note :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement