Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is there a way to get Outrun 2/2006 onto my XB1 with any degree of ease?

PS2 version of 2006 upscaled to 1440p looks absolutely gorgeous...skip to one minute in...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    PS2 version of 2006 upscaled to 1440p looks absolutely gorgeous...skip to one minute in...

I specifically bought a HDMI adapter for my PS2 in order to play this game on my 42" Plasma, and it does look simply gorgeous, even though it's not at the stellar resolution that your linked copy is at.
    Still, 480p and in those glorious colours, across that excellent display is good enough for me.

Such a great game.

I'll definitely be installing it on the emu PC when I get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a pity the bonus tracks from the 360 version are gone forever. I found out about them after the game was delisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,453 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any way of getting them through dodgy means on a modded xbox I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Could always use the PS3 emulator too (RPCS3) or mod your PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Any way of getting them through dodgy means on a modded xbox I wonder?

Kerbdog is talking of modding an OG Xbox to include extra RAM to run Lindberg roms directly...

Could be pretty amazing
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a pity the bonus tracks from the 360 version are gone forever. I found out about them after the game was delisted.

The great thing about Outrun 2 on the Xbox is it's the only place to play Scud Race tracks, outside of the arcade/emulation

Far from gone forever. You just need a different way to play it ;)

eddhorse wrote: »
    Could always use the PS3 emulator too (RPCS3) or mod your PS3.

This works great also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

My NTSC N64 arrived this morning.
    Now I just need to invest in some games. Won't be a cheap experience from what I've seen.

iYGPfAil.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My NTSC N64 arrived this morning.
    Now I just need to invest in some games. Won't be a cheap experience from what I've seen.

There's not a lot of good N64 games though really. Sin and Punishment is the only japan exclusive worth importing. Unless N64 games have gone up since I last looked they seemed to be quite cheap. Some expensive games like Conker's aren't actually worth playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

That N64 statement makes me feel funny.

Anyway, this arrived for me this morning. It's going into the NES top loader I bought on here a while back.

I'm still waiting on a 3D printed multi out from eBay of... questionable quality, but my first choice is out of stock.

523279.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

There's not a lot of good N64 games though really. Sin and Punishment is the only japan exclusive worth importing. Unless N64 games have gone up since I last looked they seemed to be quite cheap. Some expensive games like Conker's aren't actually worth playing.

I know. There are only a handful I wanted to have.

Master of the Universe

Resident Evil 2 is something I keep meaning to pick up on it.

I've never actually played that version before, so am really interested in seeing how they crammed it all into a cart.

I've played it via an Everdrive 64. It's well worth the experience!

In terms of quantity, the N64 suffers for sure, but there's a good few all time favourites of mine on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

That N64 statement makes me feel funny.

Anyway, this arrived for me this morning. It's going into the NES top loader I bought on here a while back.

I'm still waiting on a 3D printed multi out from eBay of... questionable quality, but my first choice is out of stock.
    Ooo, which site did you order that up from? Interested for my Sharp Twin Fami
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Resident Evil 2 is something I keep meaning to pick up on it.

I've never actually played that version before, so am really interested in seeing how they crammed it all into a cart.
    Interesting video on that just the other week;

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Ooo, which site did you order that up from? Interested for my Sharp Twin Fami

https://www.oldskoolconsoles.com

Arrived in a week or so. Better than ordering direct from Tim's site and having it shipped from Australia and subject to customs crap.

I've played it via an Everdrive 64. It's well worth the experience!

In terms of quantity, the N64 suffers for sure, but there's a good few all time favourites of mine on there.

Makes it easy to collect for. Nothing too crazily priced either.

Some gems as well. Never realised how good the Bomberman hero games were until recently and the fan translation of wonder project J 2 is a little gem.

Some N64 games are really tough to go back to. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, I ended up playing the PC rerelease. Forsaken 64 has aged a bit better... Banjo Kazooie, I just couldn't tolerate the collect up em stink.

I keep coming back to Mario 64, Pilotwings, Blast Corps and Wave Race though. So good.

I'd like to say Blast Corp is the secret best Rare game but it's just plain out and out the best thing they've ever made.

I was actually surprised how well Turok 1 and 2 hold up but the PC rereleases are so much better. Was a nice surprise after Shadows of the Empire being an even bigger stinker than I remembered.

Some N64 games are really tough to go back to. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, I ended up playing the PC rerelease. Forsaken 64 has aged a bit better... Banjo Kazooie, I just couldn't tolerate the collect up em stink.

I keep coming back to Mario 64, Pilotwings, Blast Corps and Wave Race though. So good.

Wave Race, on an NTSC N64, the rumble version, is outstanding.
    It is like a whole new game, when compared to the awful sluggish PAL port

• Advertisement

Totally agree. The stars aligned for Blast Corps!

I also just released I forgot to mention Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars. Exams were almost failed trying to get the medals on that!

That's a shame about Shadows of the Empire! I've been meaning to try the N64 Star Wars titles, I just couldn't afford more than a few games at the time, especially given the prices!

There's better PC versions of the ones worth playing, Episode 1 Racer and Rogue Squadron.

There's no better PC port of Shadows of the Empire though. It's available on Steam and better than the N64 version but no version of that game can be considered better because it's complete horse**** no matter what platform it stinks up.

Hahah! Avoid Shadows of the Empire at all costs, then! Understood.

I see Rogue Squadron and Episode 1 Racer are got on GoG.com. Makes sense to just grab them from there!

Just avoid the lot and play X-Wing, Tie-Fighter and X-Wing Alliance...
    Much better...

I have the whole Rogue Squadron series and it all gets very dated very quickly, even the later fancier ones on the GC, the flight model is pants and don't even get me started about the on-foot sections of Rebel Strike on the GC... the speeder bike sequences almost save it all, but not quite...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Nothing major.....3D printed fan bracket for the Noiseblocker Mod for the Gamecube.
    Got a good cleanout when I was installed the GC Loader so with the new fan it should be primed and ready to rock for years to come.

Master of the Universe

Anyone else not have much experience playing Gamecube games?

Not sure what it is, I've played the hell out of all Nintendo consoles, but the Gamecube...kind of passed me by when it came out.

I've since had a few of them for years now but still feels like I've only scratched the surface.

Off the top of my head, I've played Mario Sunshine, F Zero, Windwaker, Metroid Prime games, Smash Bros, Pikmin, Resident Evil Zero and 4, a bit of Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion... anything that I'm missing?

I absolutely adored the gamecube but it was always secondary to the PS2.

As for games you are missing:

Pikmin 2 is a fine expansion on the original and a much longer game. The random dungeons aren't as well designed as the overworld sections but they stretch the game out just enough.

Resident Evil Remake is arguably the best the series has been but it's available in HD on current consoles.

There's a lot of fun to be had from Mario Kart Double Dash

Wind Waker is amazing if you haven't played the WiiU version. I actually prefer the Gamecube look.

Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 got PS2 releases but look better on Gamecube. Great games.

Skies of Arcadia is much better balanced on the Gamecube with less random battles and load times but also has added content. Still the best way to play that game.

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance is excellent. However there's a translation mishap with the difficulty setting. The normal and hard difficulties in the Japanese release are now easy and normal. Picking normal sticks you in an ultra hard version of an already hard game.

Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins are criminally ignored RPGs. Made by monolith that would go on to make Xenoblade. They have a card based battle system that starts off slight but once your deck expands it becomes so much fun to create crazy card combos and avoid cards that cancel each other out.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat also gets ignored. It's a wonderful platformer by the team that would go on to make Mario Galaxy. It requires the bongo controller but there is a wii version that uses motion controls.

Chibi Robo is a charming little adventure that's a bit toy story. Might need a walkthrough in places but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

1080 Avalanche is a great snowboarding game that got overshadowed by SSX

Heard great things about Cubivore but it's very expensive now.
    Same with Gotcha Force.

Eternal Darkness has great ideas and atmosphere but I doubt it's aged well. I remember not really enjoying it at release.

Legend of Zelda Four Swords is a forgotten classic. It's best in multiplayer but it's still a great single player game.

PN 03 I hear is great but it's never clicked with me.

Wario World is a fun beat'em up from treasure.

A lot of the other exclusives have kind of made their way to other consoles and had rereleases so the actual exclusive list is getting a bit slight.

If you can get a region unlocking disc I would recommend Mr Driller World, it's fantastic, though I believe it is now available on the Switch

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If you can get a region unlocking disc I would recommend Mr Driller World, it's fantastic, though I believe it is now available on the Switch

And PC.

And it really is fantastic.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Gamecube exclusives, I'm quite looking forward to the rerelease of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. the original was fun but a blast in multiplayer but only really had a go of that once as just like four swords it's a pain to set up a session of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement