Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    I may have missed that memo :eek:

I think we might have threatened to call around to people's houses in the middle of the night....
    But we only did that with an invite, as it turned out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭Inviere

I may have missed that memo :eek:

It wasn't sent to members who had the use of a Pantry...

Picked this up a few weeks back from AliExpress, arrived on Friday, very impressed with the quality, came with a nice shockbox too, sent in an order for a few more unreleased titles

18091797-5546-47-E0-B440-95-D579041968.jpg
    A017-C7-DA-10-CE-42-EA-B6-C9-7430739-A3-C97.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

Is it a neo Geo cart or something?

It has arrived! :D

526266.jpg

526267.jpg

Really nicely packaged.

Feels a bit lighter than I expected but not too light.

The injection molding I'd lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Let us know how it plays when you have a chance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Jack burton

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Had that in the back of my head, folks being worried about showing off pricy stuff in their place...rather than the pube collection note :)

Main reason I dont like anyone outside my friends knowing where my house is.

Even though I have cameras with motion sensors in my garage there have been arcade machines stolen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,593 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    It has arrived! :D

Really nicely packaged.

Feels a bit lighter than I expected but not too light.

The injection molding I'd lovely.

Jealously levels through the roof!

Did you get the recoil version or the standard one? I would imagine the recoil one would be a bit heavier if it uses a solenoid. Would be interesting to hear how it weight compares to a gcon.

Even though I have cameras with motion sensors in my garage there have been arcade machines stolen before.

If someone broke into your house and stole videogame stuff you'd have to know it was some kind of inside job. Most thieves would assume it was just old crap and would go for the new 50 inch tv.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bugger, everyone knows where my house is....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,931 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah but the smell of Jeff Minter off off all his games that you love keeps us away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Home security can be done really well on the cheap these days if you know what you're doing(or do some google research). I think if you've anything of any value(which we all do), a basic camera/sensor setup is definitely worth it.

Even something simple (but overpriced IMHO)like a Google NEST Camera can save you a lot of hassle. We had to use a NEST recording a couple years ago for a legal matter after guys tried to break in to the old house. Without the recording there would have been a court case, with the recording we were completely covered and it went away.

Anyway, I'm a massive nerd so have all sorts of cameras and sensors hooked up these days. You just have to be careful your not pointing into your neighbours house/property too much.

Jealously levels through the roof!

Did you get the recoil version or the standard one? I would imagine the recoil one would be a bit heavier if it uses a solenoid. Would be interesting to hear how it weight compares to a gcon.

Just went for the non recoil version, I'm a beta tester so got it earlier.
    Yeah the recoil version would add a lot more weight alright.

In comparison to the gun con 2 there's more travel on the trigger with the Sinden, but theres a decent click.
    The guncon2 has pretty much zero travel and clicks instantly.

When you're in game you don't really notice the travel.

Time Crisis 2 is playing really well but I seem to need to confgiure other PS2 games as the aiming is off.
    That's no fault of the Sinden but just the way Lightguns Crisis comes set up for other guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm waiting on my recoil guns. I think he said next month. Can't wait for some Gunblade!
    Hopefully all the software config stuff is nailed down and there's some nice easy guides by next month!

Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    Just went for the non recoil version, I'm a beta tester so got it earlier.
    Yeah the recoil version would add a lot more weight alright.

In comparison to the gun con 2 there's more travel on the trigger with the Sinden, but theres a decent click.
    The guncon2 has pretty much zero travel and clicks instantly.

When you're in game you don't really notice the travel.

Time Crisis 2 is playing really well but I seem to need to confgiure other PS2 games as the aiming is off.
    That's no fault of the Sinden but just the way Lightguns Crisis comes set up for other guns.

Cool, thanks for that!

Is there a way to use a pedal with it actually? I suppose its probably easy enough to set up with a pc!
    The_B_Man wrote: »
    I'm waiting on my recoil guns. I think he said next month. Can't wait for some Gunblade!
    Hopefully all the software config stuff is nailed down and there's some nice easy guides by next month!

Did you guys ever figure out if they work for pedestal gun games like Gunblade?

Given as we were saying before that they're not really lightguns on those cabinets, juts big d pads at the bottom of the gun?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,931 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More like trackballs.

That was your daily pedantry update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

The_B_Man wrote: »

My mind went to the gunblade in Final Fantasy 8 before the arcade game....now i want to play a lightgun game with some form of gunblade mod :(

Cool, thanks for that!

Is there a way to use a pedal with it actually? I suppose its probably easy enough to set up with a pc!

Did you guys ever figure out if they work for pedestal gun games like Gunblade?

Given as we were saying before that they're not really lightguns on those cabinets, juts big d pads at the bottom of the gun?

There's no 3.5mm socket for a pedal, so you'd be better off doing some DIY and making a pedal that communicates via usb.

There's an Arduino Leonardo inside the gun itself so you could possibly modify the gun itself but then you'd have a cable hanging from the gun.

A USB pedal acting as keyboard or joystick would be the way to go.

Pedestal gun games work fine since you're emulating a mouse essentially and emulators have been designed to accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Thinking about picking up a sinden to test.

If you are on an arcade CRT are people saying the act-labs gun is still king? (€200+ 2nd hand)

It's a shame the work Smog and Acorn did with PC drivers for Guncon 1&2 in the early 2000's were closed source as that would have been a great cheap alternative for CRT users.

The LCD compatible aimtrak guns are still a great option if you have room to stand far back from the screen.

Master of the Universe

If you are on an arcade CRT are people saying the act-labs gun is still king? (€200+ 2nd hand)

It's a shame the work Smog and Acorn did with PC drivers for Guncon 1&2 in the early 2000's were closed source as that would have been a great cheap alternative for CRT users.

The LCD compatible aimtrak guns are still a great option if you have room to stand far back from the screen.

What I did (seeing as most of the lightgun games I want to play are on the PS2) is pick up a Jammacon from the last bandit, connect up my PS2 and away I went, lightgun games on a CRT cab.

I had 2 of those Act-lab guns years ago. They might be on the attic, but I've a feeling I dumped them - d'oh !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

What I did (seeing as most of the lightgun games I want to play are on the PS2) is pick up a Jammacon from the last bandit, connect up my PS2 and away I went, lightgun games on a CRT cab.

Ya probably the best way to do it :)

Works with Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox and other as well ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

I'm actually interested in setting that up for an arcade cabinet. One problem I see is that the screen isn't exactly huge at 19inch, but it might be passable.

Second thing that I can see is that a glass bezel would probably screw the guns interaction with the screen.

Any thoughts on that??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I remember reading about the Sinden guns, and maybe this applies to them all, but someone was saying that if there's a shine on the screen, it'll interfere with the camera. The default surrounding bar is white so a shine would appear white as well. If its at the edge of the screen on one of the bars then I can see how it would interfere. That's probably why you have the option to change the colour of the bar to possibly lessen the effect of shine, as well as stop any issue if your cabinet is white, or if you're using a TV with a white bezel, or if you're playing a snow level or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Yeah that's what I was thinking, thanks. Ah I think I'll skip the idea just too much hassle

You can change the colour of the border with the software so I’d say that isn’t really an issue at least. Not sure about a shine on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Boring but necessary, my Everdrive and most of my NES games are Famicom shaped, so I grabbed a cheap adapter off eBay.

Took a bit of Internet searching to discover it needs to be plugged in backwards!

Funnily, I also have a NES -> Famicom adapter and that does not need to be flipped.

526993.jpeg

526994.jpeg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Been testing this out and other than not working too well with Gauntlet and forcing me to buy an FC to NES adaptop its pretty good for the price!

526995.jpg

Picked up a NES on adverts for 50 Euro - it had issues reading the cart when I got it but I took it apart and cleaned everything and did a bit of work on the 72-pin connector and it's working great now :D
    It came with one game, so at least I was able to test it, but I'll grab an everdrive clone now.

IMG-20200919-115814.jpg
    IMG-20200919-115823.jpg
    IMG-20200919-131534.jpg
    IMG-20200919-131542.jpg
    IMG-20200919-193159.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Hehe, lots of NES stuff going on today!

Originally, I was going to sell on this NES after modding as I already have an RGB modded Famicom, but I’ve fallen in love with it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Been testing this out and other than not working too well with Gauntlet and forcing me to buy an FC to NES adaptop its pretty good for the price!

526995.jpg

Probably worth it for that price for the shell and controller alone. Bit of modding etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement