Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what do ye know about Islam?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Still waiting on an answer to how you can believe everything written in a 1400 year old book, but something written on a wiki is automatically suspect because anyone could have put anything they wanted in there...

I'd say the OP has run away with his tale between his legs. Not that he had any real answers anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

legspin wrote: »
    I'd say the OP has run away with his tale between his legs.
    That line should win a pullet surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

legspin wrote: »
    I'd say the OP has run away with his tale between his legs. Not that he had any real answers anyway.

He's thanked the post so clearly he agrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Yes I saw that.

Rob, just for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

It's not very Earth-shaped, now is it?

Just a note on that claim. I did some research on it as I find the abrahamic religions have the nerve to claim their holy books 'predicted' a spherical earth, and they don't.
    The koran has a couple of passages that deal with the flattening of the earth for humans. The word in arabic for flatten has other meanings (which is typical in arabic) however NONE of these (stretch, roll out, etc) refer to the ostrich EGG, only the practice of the ostrich flattening the area where she buries the eggs. Some muslims (not all) nowadays take that and distort it to mean egg (heck some have even gone further and left out the ostrich completely and tried to find an egg that looks more like the earth and will go with reptiles if they think the listener is credulous enough. Some even try to take "roll out" and leave out the "out" part and say it just means roll, which makes no sense in context.

On a side note, I do respect some more reasonable reinterpretations of these passages to mean "land' rather than planet earth and that the passage is a metaphor for making the land habitable for humans. It is still bull, but at least it is not an insult to my intelligence and avoids the 'science' claim completely.

My view of these types of muslim apologetics, don't believe a single word out of their mouths, check every fact and don't give them the slightest credibility. Most take their knowledge from known liars like Zakir Naik, who make Kent Hovind seem credible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

My view of these types of muslim apologetics, don't believe a single word out of their mouths, check every fact and don't give them the slightest credibility. Most take their knowledge from known liars like Zakir Naik, who make Kent Hovind seem credible.

Later I must see this marvel, and ponder on its truth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Cabaal wrote: »
    Pretty much all religious have a extremely dark side, look at the blood on the hands of the christian faith,

Basically no religion is innocent,

And Islam currently seems to be associated with the most barbaric of acts and human rights abuses. Nothing Christianity hasn't done in the past, but reading posts like this, or this leaves me with very little sympathy for Islam in any shape or form.

While I'm all in favour of freedom of religious expression, in my opinion any religion that considers apostasy a serious crime deserves to be openly vilified until they stand away from that position, not least because it is a denial of the right to freedom of religious expression of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I love these threads!

'I believe some stuff. Why don't you believe it? I have a book!'

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 123 ✭✭///3power

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

///3power wrote: »
    Could you summarise that for us in, say 50 words or fewer? Keep that up, even the Islam forum mods will start deleting your posts as against the charter.

The OP sounds like a variation on the "you don't know enough to reject it" argument. You know, the one that implies that you have to accept a proposition because you're not an expert on the topic. Well, how much do I need to know about Islam to reject it? About as much as a Muslim needs to know to accept it, which is the very basics: the five pillars of Islam. Or is it twelve? Depends on whether it's Sunni or Shia you're talking about.

Either way, I would officially be a Muslim if I accepted them, but in my case I looked at them, went "I don't think so", and that was that. Just as it was for Christianity (all flavours), Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhiism. Shinto looks like fun, and doesn't seem to require anything from me, but it kind-of leaves you wondering what the point is. Maybe I don't know enough about it to reject it ..? :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Penny 4 Thoughts

bnt wrote: »
    Could you summarise that for us in, say 50 words or fewer? Keep that up, even the Islam forum mods will start deleting your posts as against the charter.

The Quran said something very vague and unspecific and hundreds of years later some Muslims have chosen to retroactively assert that these very vague claims were actually talking about specific modern discoveries, such as dark matter or lowest point on Earth, despite no Muslim (or anyone else) actually gaining this knowledge from the Quran.

Hope that was within 50 words :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 123 ✭✭///3power

You're not doing yourself any favour lying to yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

You're not doing yourself any favour lying to yourself

One question, and no lies please seeing as you are so vocal in your supposed opposition to them: Why do you continue to post such rubbish and lies?

It's not exactly painting you in a good light nor is it your religion (though painting islam in a good light is like cleaning out the Augean stables), the fact that you obviously need to lie in the service of your religion, and that you think that lying about your religion is the only way to convince us that its right. For if there were a god and allah were its name, then no lies would be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

For if there were a god and allah were its name, then no lies would be necessary.

Oh. 'Allah'. Not 'Alan'.

Makes sense now...

:o

Say what you like about islam, but by golly, islamic names are great.

I'd love to be named "Bismi'Allahi Ar-rahmani Ar-raheem". Hell, even if I could pronounce it correctly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

robindch wrote: »
    Say what you like about islam, but by golly, islamic names are great.

I'd love to be named "Bismi'Allahi Ar-rahmani Ar-raheem". Hell, even if I could pronounce it correctly :)

I remember as a kid being dissapointed when Siddig El Fadil started to go by the stage name Alexander Siddig something like half way through Deep Space Nine, I was thinking why should someone have to change their name like that? But then I found out that Siddig El Fadil was a stage name anyway and his full name was Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi! :eek: I'm doubley dissapointed he didn't stick with that, because it was freakin' epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Links234 wrote: »
    I remember as a kid being dissapointed when Siddig El Fadil started to go by the stage name Alexander Siddig something like half way through Deep Space Nine, I was thinking why should someone have to change their name like that? But then I found out that Siddig El Fadil was a stage name anyway and his full name was Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi! :eek: I'm doubley dissapointed he didn't stick with that, because it was freakin' epic.
    Jaysus, that'd have taken up the whole DS9 credit sequence!

Links234 wrote: »
    [...] his full name was Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi! [...]
    They don't f*ck around with names, do they?

*impressed*

kylith wrote: »
    Jaysus, that'd have taken up the whole DS9 credit sequence!

That credit sequence went on long enough as it was :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Doooooo doo doo doo.... doo doo doo.... doo doo doo doo.... doo dooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Have ye seen the DS9 clock? I want it so badly.

clock1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote: »
    Doooooo doo doo doo.... doo doo doo.... doo doo doo doo.... doo dooo

Did Allah give you permission to sing?

DS9 was always my favourite Trek ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Turtwig wrote: »
    Did Allah give you permission to sing?

There's arguments for and against it being haram, apparently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Personally I am an Atheist. So I know all religious are nonsense. Islam, Christianity, Judaism. take your pick. All complete and utter nonsense.

We all know what the one true religion is ;)

TrekChurch.jpg

ALL POWER TO THE ENGINES.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Family_Guy%20Peter%20Griffin%20At%20His%20Church%20Of%20The%20Fonz,The%20Father%20The%20Son%20And%20The%20Holy%20Fonz.gif

"Fonzie be with you"

Ay!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote:
    There's arguments for and against it being haram, apparently

That doesn't answer my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The sad thing about this "discussion" is that it's all words. If you are prepared to adopt or change a religion - with all that implies - on the basis of words alone, then you are horribly gullible and vulnerable to having your trust abused. Look at the Middle East today, the Sunni/Shia conflicts tearing Syria and Iraq apart, and try to rationalise that away. "They're not true Muslims", eh? :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If a religion could literally, scientifically, mathematically and historically prove the existence of God, would you believe?
    Not sure what this has to do with the Q in the title but if it could be proved, then of course I would believe, it would then be a fact, not believing would be silly. Are you more asking would I worship? If you were, then nope, there seems to be no benefit and lots of negatives. I have enough sh1t on my plate. I don't believe now as there is no evidence whatsoever that even hints at their being a singular creator, not even hints, as in nowt, nothing, zilch. But that's just me,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement