Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what do ye know about Islam?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

///3power wrote: »
    Thanks, i just remembered another scientific miracle in the Qur'an from your false statement.

Qur'an does not say the world is flat, on the contrary it says the earth is shaped like an ostrich egg! A perfect oblate spheroid! The similitude of an ostrich egg shape and the shape of the earth is irrefutable.

Of course there's a wealth of anti-Islamic sites that will oppose this, and everything else i said. The truth is the truth.
    Anti-Islamic sites? Strange that you would say anti-Islamic. Maybe there are, I have no idea, but there will be a wealth of sites that are not anti-Islamic, but simply factual. Just because someone/thing has facts that do not support your religious book, doesn't mean that it's anti-Islam.

Now, why are you not talking about the question I posted to you? It says a lot.. (your silence that is) I asked you a question, and you ignored it, instead saying that one of the facts I stated was wrong.

If you say that the Koran states that the Earth is ostrich egg shaped, can you please prove it by facts and point me to the English translation of the text that proves your claim? Here is an accepted translation version: http://www.noblequran.com/translation/. Feel free to just give me the number of the text, you don't have to link to it.

Regarding the golden ratio: I was going to do some fact checking to see if Mecca actually is at the location claimed by this golden ratio, but as you haven't answered my question, when I viewed the video you linked to, I don't see much point, you must be hiding something if you're hiding your answer...
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    I have. Measured by degrees of latitude, the ratio is 1.62477. Measured by great circle distance, it's 1.62492. The golden ratio is 1.61803.

The video also says that the aspect ratio of DNA is the same as the golden ratio: it's not. B-DNA is 1.40; A-DNA is 0.96.
    Interesting. The OP stated that it was a miracle, so I imagine that he would have done some fact checking before accepting something as massively large as a 'miracle', so I hope that he will reply and tell us how he worked out and confirmed the video's musings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

My surveying lecturer is an atheist. One day he was demonstrating a GPS surveying system and was talking about the technology it uses to accurately pinpoint a location within 3cm. He was very proud of what we have accomplished as a human race. I asked him how the GPS is calibrated. He says; "it's pointed towards the north star, and set off that" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL i was smiling for the day
    Even with a fairly good knowledge of religious beliefs, I've got to be honest here and say that I've no idea why anybody could find that funny.

Do share the gag with the classroom, 3power! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 123 ✭✭///3power

Sorry Gordon, i forgot to answer the rest of your question.

Was the Ka'ba in Mecca created there because it's holy, or is that spot itself holy because something happened there?

Well, the history of that spot pre-dates Islam by thousands of years. When Abrahams second wife Hajar (peace be upon them) was forced to leave his household with her son Ishmael. She was about to die of thirst in the harsh desert. God ordained that a water spring flow up from the ground. She was saved, along with her son. God announced that that well will never dry up until the day of judgement. To this day that spring still flows with miraculous water that's sold all around the world. It allegedly heals all and any manner of sickness. They have done many experiments on the well itself, and can't figure out where so much spring water comes from in the middle of the desert. The well is known as the well of Zamzam.

The Ka'ba itself is just a room, built by Abraham and his sons thousands of years ago as the first house of worship to God. Abraham preached of One God to his idol worshipping people. His own father took part in his attempted execution, but God saved him. As narrated in many scriptures.

The Ka'ba then became filled with all manners of idols, and changed ownership multiple times. Consequently the Ka'ba has been destroyed and rebuilt numerous times.

Throughout the generations, and lineage of Abraham, the Ka'ba has been a sacred site. When the grandfather of the final prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) had a dream showing him where the then well of Zamzam had been sealed up. He went about digging beside the Ka'ba in the spot where his dream showed him, at the disapproval of the people, in order to find the well. He did. Then an argument ensued about the ownership of the well and pagan witches and all sorts of people were called in to resolve it. The story is a lot more detailed with many more miraculous events.

Anyway, so the final Prophet was born and received prophethood at the age of 40. First he commanded his followers to face Jerusalem when they prayed. Then after some time and for different reasons he was commanded to face the Ka'ba.

In the end days the Ka'ba will be destroyed again.

This is just my little knowledge on the subject. Not hiding anything, i've been nothing but open and honest. There is an awful lot more to know though.

Sorry Gordon, i forgot to answer the rest of your question.

Was the Ka'ba in Mecca created there because it's holy, or is that spot itself holy because something happened there?

Well, the history of that spot pre-dates Islam by thousands of years. When Abrahams second wife Hajar (peace be upon them) was forced to leave his household with her son Ishmael. She was about to die of thirst in the harsh desert. God ordained that a water spring flow up from the ground. She was saved, along with her son. God announced that that well will never dry up until the day of judgement. To this day that spring still flows with miraculous water that's sold all around the world. It allegedly heals all and any manner of sickness. They have done many experiments on the well itself, and can't figure out where so much spring water comes from in the middle of the desert. The well is known as the well of Zamzam.

The Ka'ba itself is just a room, built by Abraham and his sons thousands of years ago as the first house of worship to God. Abraham preached of One God to his idol worshipping people. His own father took part in his attempted execution, but God saved him. As narrated in many scriptures.

The Ka'ba then became filled with all manners of idols, and changed ownership multiple times. Consequently the Ka'ba has been destroyed and rebuilt numerous times.

Throughout the generations, and lineage of Abraham, the Ka'ba has been a sacred site. When the grandfather of the final prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) had a dream showing him where the then well of Zamzam had been sealed up. He went about digging beside the Ka'ba in the spot where his dream showed him, at the disapproval of the people, in order to find the well. He did. Then an argument ensued about the ownership of the well and pagan witches and all sorts of people were called in to resolve it. The story is a lot more detailed with many more miraculous events.

Anyway, so the final Prophet was born and received prophethood at the age of 40. First he commanded his followers to face Jerusalem when they prayed. Then after some time and for different reasons he was commanded to face the Ka'ba.

In the end days the Ka'ba will be destroyed again.

This is just my little knowledge on the subject. Not hiding anything, i've been nothing but open and honest. There is an awful lot more to know though.
    Ok thanks for the info. As far as the golden ratio is concerned, why is the golden ratio important to all this? What is the miracle? And considering oscarbravo's calculation, what if you're wrong about the golden ratio?

robindch wrote: »
    Even with a fairly good knowledge of religious beliefs, I've got to be honest here and say that I've no idea why anybody could find that funny.

Do share the gag with the classroom, 3power! :)

Hm, okay maybe you had to be there. See the lecturer is always going on about there being no God. Which is way out of line but what ever. And he's of the type who become arrogant with a little knowledge. If you don't have a PhD your opinion is invalid to him, even though the greatest kings in history used to ask children for advice, because of their unbiased views on things.

So when he started talking about this fancy piece of surveying kit worth 8k and how awesome man is. I found it so amusing that even with all our fancy high-tech equipment, if you peel away the layers, we still rely on a star and on nature i.e God to show us the way. Even though he was oblivious to that fact and just said it so casually without even realising what he was saying.

I mean this is a perfect example of what i meant when i said it brings you closer to God when you consider His creation and the favours He bestows on us.

Do you really believe it's just by chance that there is a star perfectly placed in space, that ALWAYS shows us which way is north, no matter what position the earth is in. Do you really believe that's just a coincidence? We're here spinning around, whilst simultaneously flying around the sun at tens of thousands of miles a minute, yet this star is perfectly placed in line with the earths central axis, consistently showing us north.

AND the fact that God tells us He has placed the stars and moon in the heavens as signs, and to guide us and for us to keep count of time. I mean He directly tells us, no fooling around, and it's true!

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

My surveying lecturer is an atheist. One day he was demonstrating a GPS surveying system and was talking about the technology it uses to accurately pinpoint a location within 3cm. He was very proud of what we have accomplished as a human race.

I asked him how the GPS is calibrated. He says; "it's pointed towards the north star, and set off that" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A GPS system calibrated off a star? I call shenanigans. That's not how GPS works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamzam_Well

In May 2011, a BBC London investigation found that water marketed as having been taken from the Zamzam Well contained high levels of nitrate, potentially harmful bacteria, and arsenic at levels three times the legal limit in the UK.[9] Arsenic is a carcinogen, raising concerns that Muslims who regularly consume commercial Zamzam water in large quantities may be exposed to higher risks of cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Do you really believe it's just by chance that there is a star perfectly placed in space, that ALWAYS shows us which way is north, no matter what position the earth is in.
    Unless you're south of the equator.
    Do you really believe that's just a coincidence? We're here spinning around, whilst simultaneously flying around the sun at tens of thousands of miles a minute, yet this star is perfectly placed in line with the earths central axis, consistently showing us north.
    Again, you're showing that you don't bother to research things you assume are true based on a complete lack of knowledge.
    The star is not perfectly placed in line with Earth's axis or poles. It makes no difference how fast the Earth is going around the Sun.
    And in fact, at the time the Quran was written, it was even less aligned than it is now. There was even a time when there wasn't a pole star at all.

Gordon wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the info. As far as the golden ratio is concerned, why is the golden ratio important to all this? What is the miracle? And considering oscarbravo's calculation, what if you're wrong about the golden ratio?

Learn about the Golden ratio. It's beautiful, really... The powers that shouldn't be don't want you to learn about these things.

Ask yourself why you never heard of the golden ratio through your ENTIRE primary and secondary education? Yet, it's been discovered for centuries.

I mean, mathematicians have a real passion for it. Everything is maths! The golden ratio is just another (very significant) proof of intelligent design behind all creation.

What's so important about it, is that it connects us (creation) all together. The leaves on a tree, the petals of a flower, proportions of animals, proportions of humans. It's everywhere. That's what's important. I don't know about aspect ratios of DNA, (evidence for knowledge of DNA was also discovered in the Qur'an, look it up). I'm not wrong about the golden ratio, is very well documented. As far as the golden ratio of Mecca, again, it's well documented.

Another thing i forgot to add about the Ka'ba. God has commanded us through his final prophet to walk around the Ka'ba in an anticlockwise direction.

It turns out, all Allah's creation travels anticlockwise, from the very small electrons and protons around an atom, to the very great planets around the sun. To the even greater galaxies as they swivel around in an anticlockwise direction. We Muslims are just following along with the rest of His creation.

How many more signs/proofs you want?

The more i type the more i remember. Ultimately, you need to learn this stuff for yourself.

Tell me stuff i don't know, i like learning too you know.

L
    It turns out, all Allah's creation travels anticlockwise, from the very small electrons and protons around an atom, to the very great planets around the sun. To the even greater galaxies as they swivel around in an anticlockwise direction. We Muslims are just following along with the rest of His creation.

Ones that aren't wrong would be nice.
    Protons don't travel around an atom. Electrons don't actually orbit in a way that can be called "clockwise" or "anticlockwise".
    The direction of the orbits of the planets can be either clockwise or anticlockwise depending on which way you want to look at it.
    Galaxies as seen from Earth go in all directions.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Learn about the Golden ratio. It's beautiful, really... The powers that shouldn't be don't want you to learn about these things.

Ask yourself why you never heard of the golden ratio through your ENTIRE primary and secondary education? Yet, it's been discovered for centuries.
    I've known about the golden ratio since I was six or seven. If the powers that be don't want us to learn about them, how did they fail to prevent me from hearing about it?
    I mean, mathematicians have a real passion for it.
    The ones that managed to slip through the PtBs' net as well?
    I don't know about aspect ratios of DNA...
    It's claimed in the video that you linked. It's wrong. The video is wrong.

Doesn't that trouble you?
    As far as the golden ratio of Mecca, again, it's well documented.
    ...and wrong.

OK, fair enough: the golden mean point of latitude falls somewhere just outside Mecca, to the south - but if the golden ratio was significant in the way you claim, wouldn't you think the Kaaba would be located precisely in the right place?

The video also claims that it's located at the golden mean point of longitude. Leaving aside the fact that it seems to arbitrarily choose the international date line as its reference point, the ratio in that direction is 1.5682, which is even further from the golden ratio.
    It turns out, all Allah's creation travels anticlockwise, from the very small electrons and protons around an atom...
    Protons don't travel around an atom, and electrons are far too complicated to have something as simplistic as an anticlockwise orbit.
    ...to the very great planets around the sun.
    Except Neptune's moon Triton, which orbits in the other direction. Plus, the orbits are only anticlockwise as perceived from an arbitrary position above the Earth's north pole, as opposed to an equally arbitrary view from above the south pole.

[...] we still rely on a star and on nature i.e God to show us the way. Even though he was oblivious to that fact and just said it so casually without even realising what he was saying.
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean here - a sidereal co-ordinate system is just one of many co-ordinate systems in use.
    Do you really believe it's just by chance that there is a star perfectly placed in space, that ALWAYS shows us which way is north, no matter what position the earth is in. Do you really believe that's just a coincidence? We're here spinning around, whilst simultaneously flying around the sun at tens of thousands of miles a minute, yet this star is perfectly placed in line with the earths central axis, consistently showing us north.
    Well, so far as I recall, the North Star is a little less than one degree off the rotational axis. Not very perfect, you'll have to agree. Does that mean that god is accurate to around one degree too?
    I mean He directly tells us, no fooling around, and it's true!
    He didn't tell us. It is fooling around. And it's not true.

I hope this helps.

It turns out, all Allah's creation travels anticlockwise, from the very small electrons and protons around an atom, to the very great planets around the sun.
    If you think that everything turns anti-clockwise, then if you change viewing sides by moving through the plane of rotation, you'll find that all Allah's creation is travelling clockwise.

I think I'm beginning to understand why none of the islamic-controlled countries have had any real success in space.

Learn about the Golden ratio. It's beautiful, really...
    I have learned about it.

The more i type the more i remember. Ultimately, you need to learn this stuff for yourself.

What you typed doesn't answer what the miracle is. What's the big deal about the fact that you think Mecca exists in that particular point on Earth? What exactly is the miracle?
    Why is no one talking about the miracle of Mecca video link i gave you?
    What miracle?

Well, at the very least i presented my little knowledge. If i even helped one person on the path of truth, i would be honoured and grateful to them.

There's a tonne more info out there. Real evidence. These stories in scripture are not just fairytales, they're lessons and warnings. They are well documented and can be verified and cross verified. There's even new scriptures found that remain suppressed because they challenge the status quo. Dead sea scrolls or the Gospel of Barnabus.. Forget Hollywood, when you start truly learning about the events of the past, the stories are fascinating and most importantly contain profound wisdom and guidance. The best source is the Qur'an. What have you got to lose? Everything to gain.

As much as i enjoy talking with (most of) you, this is eating up too much of my time. My objective was to give out the info i know, and for you to make of it what you will.

If time wasn't going so fast (as predicted by the last prophet, as we approach the hour) i'd stay chatting and dig up more and more evidences i've discovered in my research. Unfortunately time is limited and precious. Time i need to spend furthering my knowledge, not spouting it in vain (i hope it's not in vain).

Salam wa alaikum to you all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well, at the very least i presented my little knowledge.

Oh it was little alright.

They are well documented and can be verified and cross verified.
    Like the North Star not actually pointing north. And the business with rotation being dependent on perspective?
    What have you got to lose?
    Time, interest and accuracy would be my top three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If time wasn't going so fast (as predicted by the last prophet, as we approach the hour) i'd stay chatting and dig up more and more evidences i've discovered in my research. Unfortunately time is limited and precious. Time i need to spend furthering my knowledge, not spouting it in vain (i hope it's not in vain).

It's in vain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Would love to see a debate between this guy and JC.

Actually, no I wouldn't.

And with that moment the final seal will be broken.

Which powers and why dont they want us to know?

I did, even then its just a passing remark. How much detail are they supposed to go into it?
    I mean, mathematicians have a real passion for it. Everything is maths! The golden ratio is just another (very significant) proof of intelligent design behind all creation.

They do?
    How does the golden ratio prove intelligent design? What other proof is there? Surely if there is so much proof it must be true and accepted and yet, it isn't.
    What's so important about it, is that it connects us (creation) all together. The leaves on a tree, the petals of a flower, proportions of animals, proportions of humans. It's everywhere. That's what's important. I don't know about aspect ratios of DNA, (evidence for knowledge of DNA was also discovered in the Qur'an, look it up). I'm not wrong about the golden ratio, is very well documented. As far as the golden ratio of Mecca, again, it's well documented.

Another thing i forgot to add about the Ka'ba. God has commanded us through his final prophet to walk around the Ka'ba in an anticlockwise direction.

Umm, electrons dont travel clockwise.

Well some signs that can be proven would be a nice start. For some stuff the religious say magic while I'll say we just dont know the reasons yet. We have never discovered a god to be behind anything yet so I'll wait until we do.
    robindch wrote: »
    If you think that everything turns anti-clockwise, then if you change viewing sides by moving through the plane of rotation, you'll find that all Allah's creation is travelling clockwise.

I think I'm beginning to understand why none of the islamic-controlled countries have had any real success in space.

Maybe they need to do more math outside of 1 ratio and learn things can go clockwise too. Understanding the electron may help too if they wish to have some electrical systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

If i even helped one person on the path of truth, i would be honoured and grateful to them.

Don't worry, I'm sure the nonsense and anti-semitic conspiracies you've posted has turned at least one person toward atheism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Islam - the "religion of peace" that ironically loves violence and grossly inhumane acts such as honor killings, beheadings etc. What do I know about Islam? I know the world would be a much better place without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can I have my money back? I said yes at the start, then read this entire thread, and nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Hitch nails it. All you will ever need to know about the Koran.

Well, at the very least i presented my little knowledge. If i even helped one person on the path of truth, i would be honoured and grateful to them.
    If someone was convinced by you after you make very false claims and fail to defend them, then they are not on a path to truth.

Maybe you should consider if you're on the path to true given that all the evidence you supplied turns out to be completely wrong and based on misinformation and assumption.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

DarkJager wrote: »
    Islam - the "religion of peace" that ironically loves violence and grossly inhumane acts such as honor killings, beheadings etc. What do I know about Islam? I know the world would be a much better place without it.

Pretty much all religious have a extremely dark side, look at the blood on the hands of the christian faith,

Basically no religion is innocent,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Still waiting on an answer to how you can believe everything written in a 1400 year old book, but something written on a wiki is automatically suspect because anyone could have put anything they wanted in there...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Still waiting on an answer to how you can believe everything written in a 1400 year old book, but something written on a wiki is automatically suspect because anyone could have put anything they wanted in there...

You know the answer to this already,

a God wrote it
    :rolleyes:
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Wikipedia is sourced. The mods delete the rubbish. I would trust Wikipedia before some random person's opinion on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Cabaal wrote: »
    Pretty much all religious have a extremely dark side, look at the blood on the hands of the christian faith,

Basically no religion is innocent,

They all began off as cults with the ulterior motive to brainwash and exploit people for power and wealth. Islam would be the least liberal of the mainstream ones because it originates from an illiberal region of the world - Christianity is more modernized as most Christians don't even bother reading or disagree with various parts of the Bible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Gordon wrote: »
    Just because someone/thing has facts that do not support your religious book, doesn't mean that it's anti-Islam.

Yes it does. Facts are anti-islamic!

Oh, and

513px-Young_ostrich_and_egg.jpg

It's not very Earth-shaped, now is it?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement