Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what do ye know about Islam?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

///3power wrote: »
    No but honestly though, i'm not pulling a fast one. I just need time to refresh my mind about the dozens of spiritually fortifying discoveries i've encountered.
    So you came on here overflowing with confidence that you could convince us all, boasting about how you had tons of evidence....
    But you don't remember any of it?

And the only bit you do remember turns out to be completely and utterly wrong and debunked with less than a minutes worth of research?

Are you really surprised that no one is buying what you're selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Step away from the science a minute okay. Not everything has to be about evidence. My statement was intended to be thought provoking, not scientific.

You seem to have missed the point. It's not about whether the world is just a simulation. It's about the FACT that you BELIEVE it's not a simulation.

Observing the world and experimenting with it does not prove it's real. There are many scientific anomalies and freak experiment results outside of the norm, that haven't or can't be explained. Like for example the speed of light changing (one of the most constant observable measurements scientists use in countless applications). The speed of light to physicists is like the foundation of everything, which is why many won't even acknowledge this newish discovery that the speed of light might have actually changed in the past!

Anyway, that's beside the point. The point is you simply can not prove the world is real. You can't, you just can't (that's a fact ;)). You can't prove it's real, therefore you are left with no alternative but to believe it's real. Hence all scientific observations and laws are based on faith. That wasn't so hard to understand now was it.

I never said anything about the belief that what's around us is real, who said I don't believe its a simulation? Who said I don't believe its a holograph projected from the edge of the universe . your idea that I must have a belief that the things around me are real is just wrong. If youre going to put words in my mouth and make an arguement around that go ahead , I won't be a part of it. I would prefer an intelligent debate .

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Step away from the science a minute okay. Not everything has to be aboutI just need time to refresh my mind about the dozens of spiritually fortifying discoveries i've encountered.
    OK, when you remember one of the 24 or 36 miracles, let us know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 123 ✭✭///3power

Dave! wrote: »
    What if your inquisitive skeptical mind (which is encouraged in Islam, as you say) results in you moving away from the Creator? Is that cool? No problems there, the Qur'an presumably has a verse somewhere that says "He who through genuine skeptical analysis comes to conclude that this is a load of superstitious fairytale nonsense—He shall be saved."

But Dave when you ponder over the creation, it inevitably brings you closer to God.

If i was with you walking through a forest, and we came across hundreds of branches on the ground that were neatly stacked in piles that spelt out "DAVE, THINK ABOUT IT".
    Would you believe me if i said those branches fell from the tree and arranged themselves in that order just randomly by chance?

You wouldn't.

So how can anyone in their right mind conclude that all this beautiful diverse creation far more detailed and intricate than a bunch of sticks, came to be "just randomly by chance"?

Here's another good one (see, i'm slowly remembering): The Golden Ratio! Who knows about it? It's proof of intelligent design behind all natural creation, especially living creation. The golden ratio also known as divine proportion is 1.618 and it's found pretty much everywhere in nature. For example if you were to measure the length of your forearm and divide it into the length of your entire arm you'd get 1.618. Or the length of your hand divided into your forearm etc. It's everywhere!

It's also the most aesthetically pleasing ratio. Artists like Da Vinci knew this and so he would often incorporate that ratio in the proportions of the subject he was creating or even just paint on a canvas of golden ratio dimensions, say for example 100cm by 61.8cm.

Fibonacci the famous mathematician popularised the number using a formula which became known as Fibonacci's sequence, even though it was discovered long before him by some underrated Indian guy.

There's a lot of info about the golden ratio. Of course when you go to zio, i mean wikipedia it tells you little or nothing about how it's found in all nature and how it's proof of intelligent design. Surprised? Not any more. However, if you dig a little deeper and seek out the info you'll get it.

Now, for the amazing bit (as if it wasn't already amazing).

The golden ratio can also be found in the Qur'an.

The Ka'ba in Mecca was built by Abraham (peace be upon him). You know that black cube all dem Muslims "worship" lol. Anyway, he built it and it's regarded by Muslims as the first house of worship to God established on earth.

In one of the verses where the Ka'ba is mentioned in the Qur'an... It's easier if you just watch the video on the bottom of this page: h*t*t*p*:*/*/*w*w*w*.*islambosna.ba/forum/english/miracle-of-kaaba-golden-ratio-in-islam/

King Mob wrote: »
    So you came on here overflowing with confidence that you could convince us all, boasting about how you had tons of evidence....
    But you don't remember any of it?

And the only bit you do remember turns out to be completely and utterly wrong and debunked with less than a minutes worth of research?

Are you really surprised that no one is buying what you're selling?

First of all, speak for yourself.

Second: i didn't claim i could convince anyone. If God chooses to leave someone go astray, nothing i say or do can change that. Likewise, if God guides someone, no one can misguide him. My intentions here were to raise awareness about a misrepresented hugely important document and the beauty, truth, guidance and proof of God that it offers to all mankind - if they want it.

My intention is directed more so to the agnostics. The ones who don't become arrogant, ungrateful and stubborn just as soon as they learn to walk, read and count. The ones who don't realise that the last revelation, the Qur'an, is intimately connected with the previous revelations that they are aware of. Many agnostics don't buy the whole Jesus (peace be upon him) is god thing, so they end up disregarding religion entirely, but yet they don't dismiss God altogether. So if they only knew about the last revelation, and what it says, they might have a better chance. As for the atheists - may you be guided.

Lastly; you keep referring to my false world is flat example, that i already explained was just an example of how people refuse to believe, and that i didn't mean to say it was something in the Qur'an. I'm a human being. I make mistakes. It's funny that you keep mentioning the one example i didn't intend to show as a miracle from the Qur'an. Yet blatantly ignore the half dozen examples i DID show.

1. Universe expanding
    2. Paths of the planets (including sun, as the sun is also moving as was recently discovered)
    3. Microscopic stages of development in womb
    4. Fingerprints unique
    5. All life originating from water
    6. The mathematical synchronicity of the entire revelation and words within it

Papu, i'm not debating anyone. This is just me trying to inform. Just making the people aware that there is more scripture out there to scrutinise. The way i see it is if someone is going to decide to be an atheist (and every atheist decides at a specific moment in his/her life) then you aught to do yourself justice and at least investigate all the scriptures before making such a drastic DANGEROUS decision. You owe it to yourself.

Gordon, a few dozen might have been an overstatement :) I emphasis "might" because there's new discoveries found all the time, so we might have to wait a while.

There's plenty of other discoveries when it comes to abjad numbers (assigning letters a numerical value) but they're a little far out there. I want to show the rock solid proofs, like the one in the video above showing that the ka'ba is the golden ratio of the world!

Other far out discoveries are things like the year of the moon landing deciphered in a verse about the moon. Things like the atomic numbers of Iron and other elements being the same as the number of the chapter and verse and the fact that iron is what makes of the core of the earth (apparently) and the core of the earth is the very centre, and the very centre of the Qur'an is a chapter entitled "Iron". Or the year TV was invented, discovered in another way. Really, there's a lot. But as i said i'd prefer to not bother talking about them as they aren't what i'd call very convincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

[evasion and sophistry]

Yeah, I figured that would be your answer.

Critical thinking and debate is allowed within Islam, as long as it leads to the conclusion that we want.

Otherwise, it's perfectly acceptable that you be killed :)

• Advertisement

Lastly; you keep referring to my false world is flat example, that i already explained was just an example of how people refuse to believe, and that i didn't mean to say it was something in the Qur'an. I'm a human being. I make mistakes.
    I keep being it up because you keep ignoring it and then lying about it. I think it's indicative of the shakiness of your opinions and research.

Someone asked you to provide an example of a scientific revelation in the Quran. That's what you provided in response. It was wrong because you believed something without verifying it.
    1. Universe expanding
    2. Paths of the planets (including sun, as the sun is also moving as was recently discovered)
    3. Microscopic stages of development in womb
    4. Fingerprints unique
    5. All life originating from water
    6. The mathematical synchronicity of the entire revelation and words within it
    The Quran contains none of these things and offers zero scientific information about them.
    1. How does it describe the universe as expanding? What rate does it say it's expanding? How does this match up with the current scientific understanding?
    2. That's a lie. The Quran says the Earth doesn't move and that the Sun orbits it.
    3. No it doesn't. The Quran aslo denys the existance of the ovum.
    4. This isn't a revelation. It's easily and quickly discovered by observation.
    5. The first contradicts the Genesis story you calm is fact in the bible, and again, it lacks any scientific or useful information.
    6. Not scientific in the slightest.

Dave! wrote: »
    Yeah, I figured that would be your answer.

Critical thinking and debate is allowed within Islam, as long as it leads to the conclusion that we want.

Otherwise, it's perfectly acceptable that you be killed :)

Yes, critical thinking and reflection over creation is promoted in Islam. If doing so takes you further away from the Creator, then you're doing it wrong :P

Look, if you don't believe and then you think about creation then of course your mind is going to come up with every possible idea about how creation came to be, without a creator. Which is illogical, but how some ever, your mind will do it. It'll fill in the blanks, or block them out entirely!

On the other hand if you're an agnostic or believer, thinking about the same thing will enlighten you further.

It's never perfectly acceptable that anyone be killed in Islam. That nonsense about unbelievers and apostates being killed is grossly taken out of context and in some cases outright lies. Killing in Islam is a sensitive topic but absolutely just and fair, if you may only read about it instead of swallowing the lies of others, you'd see for yourself. God has perfected religion by Islam. It's imperative that laws of execution and warfare and other nasty aspects of society are made clear, in order for the society to maintain balance and justice. Allah (SWT) does this in the Qur'an and through His messengers.

Allah says in surah 2 : ayat 256

"There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in false deities and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing."

King Mob wrote: »
    I keep being it up because you keep ignoring it and then lying about it. I think it's indicative of the shakiness of your opinions and research.

Someone asked you to provide an example of a scientific revelation in the Quran. That's what you provided in response. It was wrong because you believed something without verifying it.

The Quran contains none of these things and offers zero scientific information about them.
    1. How does it describe the universe as expanding? What rate does it say it's expanding? How does this match up with the current scientific understanding?
    2. That's a lie. The Quran says the Earth doesn't move and that the Sun orbits it.
    3. No it doesn't. The Quran aslo denys the existance of the ovum.
    4. This isn't a revelation. It's easily and quickly discovered by observation.
    5. The first contradicts the Genesis story you calm is fact in the bible, and again, it lacks any scientific or useful information.
    6. Not scientific in the slightest.

Anyone who cares to read over the thread can see who the real liar is.

Anyone who cares to read over the thread can see who the real liar is.
    Once again, a claim is made, but no evidence is offered.

All of those examples you provided are just as flawed and misinformed as the claim you admit is flawed.
    They are either based on your own gaps in knowledge, not actually what you say they are and only work if you ignore other parts of the Quran.
    Or it's numerology which is just plain abject nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

stuff

You say your religion makes you purer but you sound very intolerant. You seem homophobic and have some dubious ideas about racial purity. It is hard to separate your anti - Zionist ravings from antisemitism. Saying you want a self respecting wife is usually said by people who want to subjugate women. If your aim was to promote Islam in my view you have done the opposite.

You say your religion makes you purer but you sound very intolerant. You seem homophobic and have some dubious ideas about racial purity. It is hard to separate your anti - Zionist ravings from antisemitism. Saying you want a self respecting wife is usually said by people who want to subjugate women. If your aim was to promote Islam in my view you have done the opposite.

Where did you get all that from? You can't just make up wild accusations based on nothing.

Quote me to prove ANY of your wild defamatory statements. I'm reporting you too, making statements like this isn't on.

I "sound" intolerant? In what way? Quote me.

I seem homophobic? Again, how? Because i offered evidence of historical cities destroyed for abominations committed therein.

I'm a racial supremacist also now am i?

How can i be antisemitic when i have semitic blood?

Zionism and Judaism are chalk and cheese, as i've already stated.
    Jews and Muslims used to babysit each others babies before the zionists invaded Palestine in 1948. God commands the Jews NOT to establish a country of their own, in their own religion.

These "fake Jews" and "synagogue of satan" as they are called in the Bible, have done exactly that! Put 2 and 2 together. All the other times the Jews disobeyed our God, they were punished. This time they haven't been punished yet, which can only mean the punishment is yet to come. You're not doing yourself any favours by behaving the way you just did.

Saying i want a self respecting wife means i want to oppress her?! Are you for real.

Your views are worth less than nothing to me (and to anyone if this is how you conduct yourself). Wont be replying to you again so save it.
    Now, where's the report button around here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Where did you get all that from? You can't just make up wild accusations based on nothing.

Quote me to prove ANY of your wild defamatory statements. I'm reporting you too, making statements like this isn't on.

I "sound" intolerant? In what way? Quote me.

I seem homophobic? Again, how? Because i offered evidence of historical cities destroyed for abominations committed therein.

I'm a racial supremacist also now am i?

How can i be antisemitic when i have semitic blood?

Zionism and Judaism are chalk and cheese, as i've already stated.
    Jews and Muslims used to babysit each others babies before the zionists invaded Palestine in 1948. God commands the Jews NOT to establish a country of their own, in their own religion.

These "fake Jews" and "synagogue of satan" as they are called in the Bible, have done exactly that! Put 2 and 2 together. All the other times the Jews disobeyed our God, they were punished. This time they haven't been punished yet, which can only mean the punishment is yet to come. You're not doing yourself any favours by behaving the way you just did.

Saying i want a self respecting wife means i want to oppress her?! Are you for real.

Your views are worth less than nothing to me (and to anyone if this is how you conduct yourself). Wont be replying to you again so save it.
    Now, where's the report button around here.

Quote you - "The same people who are controlling what your kids learn in school with books titled things like: "Lucy and her two mommies" or "Daddy's new roommate Tom" (not the actual titles, but similar)"

"They are the ones behind this mass-immigration. They want to mix all the races, so that we lose our cultures."

And intolerance? Just read your own posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Yes, critical thinking and reflection over creation is promoted in Islam. If doing so takes you further away from the Creator, then you're doing it wrong :P

That's not critical thinking then. If critical thinking was encouraged then people would not be punished for whatever conclusions they reached.

And if God really wanted to make it clear to people that he exists; then there would be no doubt. He would make it clear by appearing to everyone. Instead he expects us to figure it out by the number of times he included certain words in the Qu'ran. It's rediculous, even before you get into the idea that most people can't understand the Qu'ran in it's native language; so if he wanted to reach everyone he should have written books in all possible languages.
    It's never perfectly acceptable that anyone be killed in Islam. That nonsense about unbelievers and apostates being killed is grossly taken out of context and in some cases outright lies. Killing in Islam is a sensitive topic but absolutely just and fair, if you may only read about it instead of swallowing the lies of others, you'd see for yourself. God has perfected religion by Islam. It's imperative that laws of execution and warfare and other nasty aspects of society are made clear, in order for the society to maintain balance and justice. Allah (SWT) does this in the Qur'an and through His messengers.

Allah says in surah 2 : ayat 256

"There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in false deities and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing."

But there is compulsion because according to the Qu'ran; if you don't believe in God and worship him; and live to please him; you will spend an eternity in Hell. So how is that not compulsion?

Hell sounds like a concentration camp for people who don't worship the grand dictator - certainly there are a lot of similarities between God and Hitler, Stalin and their likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

No but honestly though, i'm not pulling a fast one. I just need time to refresh my mind about the dozens of spiritually fortifying discoveries i've encountered.
    Sorry, could you provide verifiable evidence. And fewer exclamations.

No need to rush your reponses. To convince the readership state what you believe and show evidence. Please put in peer reviewed scientific journals where possible.

I have seen very little of islam, and a lot of unjustified conspiracy theories. Evidence and proof will win us over. Give it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

what do ye know about Islam?

I know it is another religion based on the entirely unsubstantiated claim that there is an intentional agent responsible for the creation and/or subsequent maintenance of our universe. And I have read the texts the religion has a particular fetish for.

Is there more you feel I should know?
    If a religion could literally, scientifically, mathematically and historically prove the existence of God, would you believe?

Of course. Why would I not? I believe all claims that are well substantiated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

The same people who are controlling what your kids learn in school with books titled things like: "Lucy and her two mommies" or "Daddy's new roommate Tom" (not the actual titles, but similar). There is an agenda working behind the scenes to corrupt you. It's all part of their world domination/degradation plan. Look at which minister resigned lately and what he promoted; gay marriage, abortion

So there is a god, I have "evidence" and it turns out, eh... God hates fags.

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Would love to see a debate between this guy and JC.

Actually, no I wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Is it just what the media tells you?

No. I also read books like In The Shadow of the Sword by Tom Holland (I am really bad with names, I had to google the book to get the author despite reading all his popular history books, and having a good idea of his looks) which give lots of information on the likely apocryphal nature of most of the Mohammed story. I also read other history books about periods where Islam is a central part.
    If a religion could literally, scientifically, mathematically and historically prove the existence of God, would you believe?

No, I would simply accept its existence. If there was sufficient evidence to elevate the god hypothesis to a theory, then belief would not be necessary. Belief is only there because we have no evidence for god.

Edit: After reading through a few more posts, I realise that you are the kind of person who thinks that making an assertion is proof that the object of that exertion exists. I honestly don't see the reason why you posted here in that case. We tend to deal in the reality based mindset, not the magical and mythical thinking based mindset (which all human religions are a subset of) and tend to get sarcastic at people who come along and say "IT IS WRITTEN IN MY HOLYBOOK IT MUST BE TRUE! CONVERT NOW!!!!!1111oneoneoenoneeleven!". At least we can be thankful for the lack of random bolding, italicisation, ellipses and mass overuse of smilies.

I don't understand what you mean. It's simple. The Qur'an tells us the world is round. We disagree and kill people for saying the world is not flat. We then later find out that the Qur'an was right. The people who were excommunicated or killed for saying so receive no apology!

What's the problem?

A) Eratosthenes of Cyrene knew the world was spherical* and through a logical process of mathematical reasoning and good approximation deduced the circumference of the earth to a level either 1.6% under (if he used the Egyptian stade) or 16% over (if he used the Greek one) in the third century BC. Any well educated mathematician from late Antiquity (the period when Islam was invented) would have known of this.
    B) The qur'an doesn't say the world is spherical. It subscribes to the flat earth fallacy. Here is a nice little article citing proof.

*It is in fact an oblate spheroid, but that is getting nerdy. Calling it a sphere is good enough for most everyday purposes.

Why is no one talking about the miracle of Mecca video link i gave you?

It says a lot.. (your silence that is)

Alright, you got me here. Let's distrust WiKi because anybody can edit it to fix their agenda but let's trust Mohammad who heard voices in his head and had no reason to forward an agenda through editing his thoughts.

It gets worse he is trusting a man with no evidence of existence, whose book was written 100 years after his supposed death on the orders of the ruler of a conquering emperor looking to religion as the cement that would bind his "1,000 year reich" together.

Wikis are far more reliable (apart from conservapedia that is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭swampgas

Why should we waste time watching any such videos, when they invariably fail in the same way? Can't you tell us the gist of the video in words instead?

It doesn't say anything at all really, except maybe that we've seen too many similar videos already.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Our silence must be proof that god exists. Allahu akhbar

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The one that says that Mecca is on the 'golden ratio point' of the Earth? Leaving aside the curious method of getting to one location on a sphere by using the golden ratio, and the fact that I haven't checked their facts (north pole: magnetic north, or true north?) and that the Koran says that the world is flat: so what? What is the significance of Mecca being there? Do you think that it was created on that spot because it was holy, or that it is a holy place because stuff happened, and now we see that it's at a golden point on the earth, so therefore equals the muslim god?

What's the big deal here?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Penny 4 Thoughts

Hi 3power.

It seems kinda obvious from your posts that you don't accept Islam because of the "proofs" you have described to us, since so far in this thread most of them have been debunked and this has done little if anything to knock your faith. You haven't stopped believing in Islam or being a Muslim. So if you think about it, if these aren't why you believe then why would they be why we should believe either?

Might be something to ponder :)

Penny

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Their kebabs are much nicer than the wafer crap the christians have

MeccaD's is nice but not too often

http://gizmodo.com/5887037/mcdonalds-miracle-flavored-rice-will-either-be-the-most-delicious-or-disgusting-thing-you-eat-in-your-life

Gordon wrote: »
    The one that says that Mecca is on the 'golden ratio point' of the Earth? Leaving aside the curious method of getting to one location on a sphere by using the golden ratio, and the fact that I haven't checked their facts (north pole: magnetic north, or true north?) and that the Koran says that the world is flat: so what? What is the significance of Mecca being there? Do you think that it was created on that spot because it was holy, or that it is a holy place because stuff happened, and now we see that it's at a golden point on the earth, so therefore equals the muslim god?

What's the big deal here?

Thanks, i just remembered another scientific miracle in the Qur'an from your false statement.

Qur'an does not say the world is flat, on the contrary it says the earth is shaped like an ostrich egg! A perfect oblate spheroid! The similitude of an ostrich egg shape and the shape of the earth is irrefutable.

Of course there's a wealth of anti-Islamic sites that will oppose this, and everything else i said. The truth is the truth.

Hi 3power.

It seems kinda obvious from your posts that you don't accept Islam because of the "proofs" you have described to us, since so far in this thread most of them have been debunked and this has done little if anything to knock your faith. You haven't stopped believing in Islam or being a Muslim. So if you think about it, if these aren't why you believe then why would they be why we should believe either?

Might be something to ponder :)

Penny

It's M3 power, get it right... jk

Most of the proofs i offered have not been debunked. They're just little pearls of knowledge found in the Qur'an, that happen to correlate perfectly with the world as we observe it today with all our fancy GPS systems and satellites.

I mean, as i said the Qur'an is not a science journal. Yet, everything it describes is very accurate in terms of scientific discoveries.

Having said that, it doesn't go into detail. It's vague, but yet everything it says is true and that's undeniable. I mean Qur'anic verses are very subtle and short. God isn't going to take us through creation step by step, just to appease us. However, the very few verses that He does offer about the physical world are ALL accurate. God says in the Qur'an that if the book was manmade, ye would have found some error within it. There's none! That's a brave statement when you consider the amount of "gambles" the author takes when describing things in nature 1400 years ago, that have only been discovered in the past few decades.

The Qur'an is a challenge to all mankind. Undefeated. God tells us to produce a book like it if we can. Undefeated.

It's not just the miracles and truths found within the book that makes me believe. It's the world today. It's the "conspiracies" that are all turning out to be true. It's the prophecies that have already come true. It's (small) signs that i've personally experienced. God tells us everyone receives one or two profound signs every year. If you accept them as signs, then you will be guided further. If you don't, and just brush them off as nothing or just as coincidences, then they'll avail you nothing.

Before i discovered the truth of Islam, i used to be really interested and terrified of things like exorcism and demons. At 16 years old when i found out that the exorcist for all of Munster, was based in a town next to mine. It made me happy in a backwards way. See, even though i found nothing that would increase my faith through Christianity at the time, the fact that there was a priest who's role was to fight demonic possessions, made me think; well if there's evil demons, then the opposite must also be true. You know what i mean?

No one can deny that there's a lot of unseen things that are left unexplained. People don't believe in God, yet believe in spirits and ghosts. If a person can subdue their arrogant ego and acknowledge that they don't know everything, it can help. Wisest is he who knows he does not know.

I can't make you believe. But i can impart my little feeble knowledge to make you think for yourself. The worst thing you can do is not think about it, and just pass through life. At least thinking about it is a start you know.

My surveying lecturer is an atheist. One day he was demonstrating a GPS surveying system and was talking about the technology it uses to accurately pinpoint a location within 3cm. He was very proud of what we have accomplished as a human race.

I asked him how the GPS is calibrated. He says; "it's pointed towards the north star, and set off that" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL i was smiling for the day

Qur'an does not say the world is flat, on the contrary it says the earth is shaped like an ostrich egg! A perfect oblate spheroid! The similitude of an ostrich egg shape and the shape of the earth is irrefutable.
    The Earth isn't a perfect oblate Spheroid and it's no where near the proportions of an ostrich egg. The similitude is very much refutable.

There are many other references in the quran that indicate a flat Earth as well as verses that claim the earth does not move and the Sun orbits around it.

Also:
    No one can deny that there's a lot of unseen things that are left unexplained. People don't believe in God, yet believe in spirits and ghosts. If a person can subdue their arrogant ego and acknowledge that they don't know everything, it can help. Wisest is he who knows he does not know.
    It's (small) signs that i've personally experienced. God tells us everyone receives one or two profound signs every year. If you accept them as signs, then you will be guided further. If you don't, and just brush them off as nothing or just as coincidences, then they'll avail you nothing.
    So don't be arrogant, but then also think that the creator of the entire universe goes out of his way to make cryptic clues just for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Before i discovered the truth of Islam, i used to be really interested and terrified of things like exorcism and demons. At 16 years old when i found out that the exorcist for all of Munster, was based in a town next to mine. It made me happy in a backwards way. See, even though i found nothing that would increase my faith through Christianity at the time, the fact that there was a priest who's role was to fight demonic possessions, made me think; well if there's evil demons, then the opposite must also be true. You know what i mean?

The above says to me that you already had a tendency to believe in fairytales before converting to Islam. That's all. There is no such thing as demons or demonic possession, and there's no such thing as snarks or grumpkins either.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Gordon wrote: »
    The one that says that Mecca is on the 'golden ratio point' of the Earth? Leaving aside the curious method of getting to one location on a sphere by using the golden ratio, and the fact that I haven't checked their facts...

I have. Measured by degrees of latitude, the ratio is 1.62477. Measured by great circle distance, it's 1.62492. The golden ratio is 1.61803.

The video also says that the aspect ratio of DNA is the same as the golden ratio: it's not. B-DNA is 1.40; A-DNA is 0.96.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement