Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Shot in Ballyfermot

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Okay, seems as if no one can get their 'story' straight that means lies are being told

Therefore I'm inclining towards the self inflicted wound theory...
    If the child is 6 and was out and about to find weapons at 10:30pm it's the parent(s) that have questions to answer

Guess we need more exact facts before we get to the bottom of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

RTE say it may have been a pellet gun? http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0613/623740-ballyfermot-shooting/
    I would assume it would be a pellet from a shotgun shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

EyeSight wrote: »
    RTE say it may have been a pellet gun? http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0613/623740-ballyfermot-shooting/
    I would assume it would be a pellet from a shotgun shell.

Could be an air rifle, though if they came to shoot someone I don't think they'd use an air gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Smidge wrote: »
    Ring a police station when something happens at 2am and see what response you get.
    None

I've done exactly that and in the Ballyfermot area too. I rang the station and not 999

The car and two gardai arrived within minutes, they could not be faulted for speed.

But they said they were the only car in the area on a Friday night and that's a joke as it's a large and busy area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Do you seriously think that something so simple as a TV programme is all it takes to compel someone to kill?
    Indeed. Al Capone and all them lads got hyped up watching the talkies back in the day. James Cagney you bastard.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

What is up with Dublin at the moment? It's getting more and more like fecking Detroit with the feuding gangs and people get shot right, left and centre.

God help that poor little boy, hopefully he makes a full recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

Dont worry about it..the government will respond to this the only way they know how, they will target the legitimate sports shooters and restrict them even further, that will put paid to the drug men and gangsters!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Sky News going with "Dublin as one of the gun capitals of Europe" - more international press with ramp up the pressure massively on the government.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"Sky News going with..." That's the problem right there IF.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Sky news "facts" are shocking..

51 people were not kileld in gangland shootings last year, I doubt 51 were killed in the past 3 years combined...we usually average between 15-20 a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The Garda Siochana must be corrupt if they can't keep a handle on a nation of less than 4 million odd people, there's a major criminal who everyone i'm sure is sick to death of reading about in the Herald who must be a police informer as he miraculously is never shot at and flits between here and Spain.

Corrupt, Neo Liberal, Gombeen, S**thole, as the late great George Carlin put it ''it ain't a country, it's a club and you ain't in it !''

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

9 Guards at Water protest they must get their priorities right? much easier arresting Childer����

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Hootanany wrote: »
    9 Guards at Water protest they must get their priorities right? much easier arresting Childer����

Crimes against the state matter more than crimes against the people of the state.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Crimes against the state matter more than crimes against the people of the state.

Its sickening isn't it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

maguic24 wrote: »
    What is up with Dublin at the moment? It's getting more and more like fecking Detroit with the feuding gangs and people get shot right, left and centre.

God help that poor little boy, hopefully he makes a full recovery.

It's a kip, always has been. It's a crap city.

The reason it's getting worse is because the police are woefully under resourced and our criminal justice system is an inneffectual joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

dd972 wrote: »
    The Garda Siochana must be corrupt if they can't keep a handle on a nation of less than 4 million odd people
    Bit more nuanced than that. E.g. not enough guards.

There is enough just that a load are sitting behind desks on big allowances do jack Sxxt address this and a proper performing police force will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

dd972 wrote: »
    The Garda Siochana must be corrupt if they can't keep a handle on a nation of less than 4 million odd people, there's a major criminal who everyone i'm sure is sick to death of reading about in the Herald who must be a police informer as he miraculously is never shot at and flits between here and Spain.

Corrupt, Neo Liberal, Gombeen, S**thole, as the late great George Carlin put it ''it ain't a country, it's a club and you ain't in it !''

Ah, to be fair, we are not all odd:D

Hootanany wrote: »
    There is enough just that a load are sitting behind desks on big allowances
    I can't comment - I don't personally have the numbers or an understanding of the inner workings of the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

The gards got a handle on stopping republican groups in Dublin with constant surveillance and keeping a step ahead of them. Most are locked up now.

I don't understand why they can't do the same with criminal gangs. I remember shatter coming into power and declaring war on republicans, about time the same was done with criminals.

• Advertisement

It's a kip, always has been. It's a crap city.
    Matter of opinion. I think Dublin's a great city. Why do people do that thing of "Blabla is crap, end of discussion" as if there's any point in bothering to write it at all, it's that worthless.
    eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Ah, to be fair, we are not all odd:D
    You can be sure that person isn't referring to themselves either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The gards got a handle on stopping republican groups in Dublin with constant surveillance and keeping a step ahead of them. Most are locked up now.

I don't understand why they can't do the same with criminal gangs. I remember shatter coming into power and declaring war on republicans, about time the same was done with criminals.

they do. there's very few criminals left from a few years ago. All the old gangs are gone, either arrested or dead.

Grayson wrote: »
    they do. there's very few criminals left from a few years ago. All the old gangs are gone, either arrested or dead.

Really? How come shootings are on the up. I suppose it's a new generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

No arguments there. The response times can be a joke.
    The uncle of my girlfriend had his van stolen a couple of years ago. They came out 3 days later. Yup. 3 days. This is west Dublin too. Big nice Garda Station in the area. Only about 2 miles away.

I got you beat. About 6-7 years ago, I was burgled. The Gardai did arrive the next day, but the forensics guy turned up 2 months later to take fingerprints. I'm not joking.

I even had a hat the burglar left behind which had strands of his blonde hair and the Gardai declined to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Really? How come shootings are on the up. I suppose it's a new generation.

Crime's lower than ever
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/special-report-crime-analysis-reveals-meanest-and-safest-streets-234001.html

and according to this
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime-rate-falls-by-8pc-as-officers-target-burglars-29607975.html

the figures for murder and manslaughter are down, but homicides are up slightly because of an increase in car related deaths.

the simple fact is that Ireland has been getting safer and safer for the last 20 years. It's not perfect yet, but it's far better than it was and it's improving on average. It just appears that it's getting worse because the reporting is getting more sensationalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Umadbrah?

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Ireland is one of the safest countries on the planet.

Yes it is, in case you didn't notice stuff like this is extremely rare.

Grayson wrote: »
    Crime's lower than ever
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/special-report-crime-analysis-reveals-meanest-and-safest-streets-234001.html

and according to this
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime-rate-falls-by-8pc-as-officers-target-burglars-29607975.html

the figures for murder and manslaughter are down, but homicides are up slightly because of an increase in car related deaths.

the simple fact is that Ireland has been getting safer and safer for the last 20 years. It's not perfect yet, but it's far better than it was and it's improving on average. It just appears that it's getting worse because the reporting is getting more sensationalist.

You can put up all the stats and findings the government like us to see, but it will never convince me Dublin and Ireland was a more dangerous and lawless place 20 years ago.

Not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Dublin was a far more lawless place 20 years ago.Parts of the north and south inner city,and bits of west and north Dublin were no go zones for postal workers/city council workers and bus drivers because the government and Gardai ignored the social and drug problems in those areas for far too long,and there was an epidemic of syringe point robberies in the city centre.

You just didn't hear about it all that often in the media,unlike today,where news sites report just about every incident,frequently in a sensationalist manner,in order to attract more hits to their sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Glad I don't live on the south side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

This is why we need to outlaw guns!

Advertisement