Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Shot in Ballyfermot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

This is why we need to outlaw guns!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

RTE reporting it may have been a pellet gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

UCDVet wrote: »

Great idea, criminals are known for obeying the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Yes we must close all the gunshops down who sell glocks and 38 specials to anyone over 18,and ban hacksaws so they won't cut them pesky shotguns in half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Glad I don't live on the south side.

After reading some of your posts I am glad you don't to :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You can put up all the stats and findings the government like us to see, but it will never convince me Dublin and Ireland was a more dangerous and lawless place 20 years ago.

Not a chance.

As we all know, facts are normally incorrect and have a liberal bias.

I'd go with your gut truthiness if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Umadbrah?

RTE reporting it may have been a pellet gun.

LOOOOOOOOOOL How did they not know that from the beginning?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

EyeSight wrote: »
    AGS have a part to play too. They need to start speaking up. They don't waste a second telling ordinary citizens they don't have enough resources so they should say the same to the higher ups

They do. It falls on deaf ears. Once it goes passed Inspector, it's all about numbers and percentages, and keeping the percentage of crime down with the least amount of Gardai in the cheapest way possible. So, obviously, that doesn't work.
    carzony wrote: »
    i do blame the gov. Garda numbers have now dropped under the 13,000 figure they wanted to keep for safety sake. Saying that I passed 2 checkpoints today in the Ballyfermot area.

They always seem to have manpower for big checkpoints...

If they weren't needed, they wouldn't be there.
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    No but they can be on the most needed street corners not protecting Irish water installations.

Brought in to stop innocent people getting assaulted while trying to do their job. Those installers have nothing to do with the law being inacted, they are paid to do a plumbing job and are getting harrassed to the verge of being assaulted. The Gardai are there to prevent that, and they wouldn't need to be there if there wasn't a need. Want the Gardai "protecting" the Irish Water workers doing something else? Tell the mob to leave ordinary decent people do their job without fear of being assaulted.
    carzony wrote: »
    just more guards driving around and on the beat with the ol hi-vis would help in situations like this..

As the paper says ''saturate gardai' in areas like this.

Seriously how often do you see garda walking around? I walk 2 hours a day and never see it.

There isn't enough of them anymore to go on the beat. As a few people have said in this thread, they're being told that there's only 1 car to service the area. That says to me that there are 2 Gardai covering that area. If another 2 become available, would they be better suited on the beat or in a 2nd car?
    Smidge wrote: »
    I see more guards on checkpoints than I do at corners renowned for dealing
    Hootanany wrote: »
    9 Guards at Water protest they must get their priorities right? much easier arresting Childer����

Again, if these checkpoints and posts weren't needed, you wouldn't see the Gardai there. Someone further up in the thread pointed out that there were 21 shootings in 2013. In 2012 there were 162 road deaths. That's why there's more checkpoints, they do reduce the number of deaths on the roads (same link shows that the 2012 figure was down from the 2011 one). If the Gardai carrying out those checkpoints (directed, i may add) were all taken off to patrol areas where there might be a gun crime, you would see road traffic related crime and deaths increase, because people will know there would be no checkpoints and drive in a manner which is highly dangerous to other road users. As it stands, road traffic related deaths are higher, so require more resources.
    Hootanany wrote: »
    There is enough just that a load are sitting behind desks on big allowances do jack Sxxt address this and a proper performing police force will be there.

What is this Jack Sh!t you're on about? The majority of a Gardas job is behind a desk, doing reports, files, correspondence, etc. There are permanent office jobs that only a Garda can do. Yes, there are some jobs that a civilian can take over from, but for the majority only a Garda will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Umadbrah? wrote: »

Rte only ones saying it's a possibility, im going with proper gun, why else knock on someone's door to shoot them with a pellet gun then take a chase off the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rte only ones saying it's a possibility, im going with proper gun, why else knock on someone's door to shoot them with a pellet gun then take a chase off the police.
    Distraction?
    While everyone's focussing on a child shot with a pellet gun you could probably break into the Áras undetected.
    Did anyone else get shot yesterday?

Edit:
    Ah, going by the news it looks like a random shot into the house rather than intentionally hitting the child. Makes the most sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

So I've to give up my gun licence because you say so??
    There's more unlicensed guns in this country than there is licensed.
    I got permission and went through the process if waiting, had my record checked through and I was awarded my gun licence. But sure il give it up just for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Umadbrah? wrote: »

Pellet guns ARE lethal weapons in their own right! Can inflict very serious injury - they're not like water guns!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

realies wrote: »
    After reading some of your posts I am glad you don't to :-)

That's not nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

ElizaT33 wrote: »
    Pellet guns ARE lethal weapons in their own right! Can inflict very serious injury - they're not like water guns!:(

Water guns can be lethal too, e.g. If filled with acid or poison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

So I've to give up my gun licence because you say so??
    There's more unlicensed guns in this country than there is licensed.
    I got permission and went through the process if waiting, had my record checked through and I was awarded my gun licence. But sure il give it up just for you!

Simple fact of the matter is, you can't have gun crime without guns.....

A total ban is much easier to enforce than a selective/partial ban. Beyond that, gun owners aren't up to the task of securing their guns. For example:
    http://www.herald.ie/news/more-than-1400-guns-stolen-here-in-five-years-27996723.html

That's at least 1,400 guns, in just a five year period. A properly maintained firearm can last 100 years. Let's just say we average 50 years per stolen gun. 1400 stolen guns per 5 years, and each gun will last 50 years. That's 14,000 workable guns floating around the black-market, that entered completely legally and were purchased by law abiding citizens, who reported the gun stolen.

On an individual level, it's easy to talk about individual rights and your right to own your gun. And a large part of me wants to agree with it. But what happens when you're off on holiday and someone breaks into your house? You can't say it won't happen, it's happening at a rate of 1,400 guns per five years. Then what? Now you've personally supplied a criminal with a firearm. It hardly seems fair to toss you in jail, for it....it wasn't 'intentional' but it was *inevitable*. On the large scale, we know it will happen, it's just a matter of when.

What kind of person buys a stolen gun? The exact kind of person nobody wants to have a gun. The kind of person who uses it in crimes. And whose fault is it, that they were able to buy a gun? Is it yours....kinda. I mean, each year ~300 guns are stolen, that's 300 freedom/individual rights loving folk who were unable to keep up their end of the social contract. A gun is a huge responsibility, and we KNOW, as long as people can have them, a non-trivial percent of them will fail to keep the gun secure. It sucks, but it's the reality of the situation.

Then it becomes a question of what is 'most fair'. It's not fair to take away your individual right to own a gun. But it's also not fair to take away a child's right to live without being shot. And sure, there are statistics and probabilities that go into these questions, but it comes a public issue that needs to be answered for society as a whole. It sucks that it means you might not get to keep your gun....and it isn't fair. But life isn't fair.

Is our society better off with people like you getting to keep guns, knowing full well that people like you (gun owners, not a personal attack on you) will 'donate' 300 guns per year to criminals?

I'm arguing that the answer is 'no'.

Lot's and lots of laws are like this. We constantly trade off freedoms of the individual for the betterment of society. I can't choose not to pay taxes, that's something I've lost. I can't choose to do drugs, even though I'm a totally chill, responsible drug user....because SOME non-zero percent of the population can't handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Living in Dublin a few years now for a few years and every time there seems to be an incident in Dublin Ballyfermot is mentioned. Either the incident happened there or the people involved are from the area.

I went for a drive out there to see what it was really like 1 Sunday and I have to say it's really frightening place. I went to the Tesco there and the amount of people who looked they were zonked out on drugs was unreal. I wont be in a hurry back there.

Im sure there are decent people living there (poor them) but it looks like it is becoming a real no go area. What can be done? Zero tolerant policing or something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

This is one of the saddest stories I have read in a long time. Lets hope they catch the scumbag that did it & when our courts sentence them they give out a life sentence that means life.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Living in Dublin a few years now for a few years and every time there seems to be an incident in Dublin Ballyfermot is mentioned. Either the incident happened there or the people involved are from the area.

I went for a drive out there to see what it was really like 1 Sunday and I have to say it's really frightening place. I went to the Tesco there and the amount of people who looked they were zonked out on drugs was unreal. I wont be in a hurry back there.

Im sure there are decent people living there (poor them) but it looks like it is becoming a real no go area. What can be done? Zero tolerant policing or something similar?
    Really? I'm from the area and I've never seen anything like this. Some people make out as if Ballyfermot is like Baghdad but it definitely isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Glad I don't live on the south side.
    Because Ballyfermot = the whole southside?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Rialto is worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Magaggie wrote: »
    Because Ballyfermot = the southside?

He was being sarcastic. The Northside gets this type of crap all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

DellyBelly wrote: »

You went there for a drive to see what's it really like ? And then you say poor them in reference to the people living there.
    What piece of paradise are you from ? So I'll know to fcukin avoid it .
    I've family and friends living there and from all over south inner city Dublin , Fatima Mansions , Bluebell , Drimnagh and to have to like of you driving around as a voyeur is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'm from outside of Dingle and live in Ranelagh now. I'm sorry if I offended you but coming from where I am I don't see this sort of things. Of course we might get the odd bit of trouble on a friday after the pub closes but nothing ever serious.

The one thing I couldn't get over is the amount of people wearing pajamas in the middle of the day in Ballyfemot. My opinion is if people in an area don't give a ****e how they look than the area is going to go down hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

What is the problem lads, based on this man's experiences, news reports, General word of mouth ballyer isn't the most glamorous place.That's just the way the world works...

Let's have some stories convince us otherwise!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I love how people who are from these ****ty areas will defend them to the last.

They won't improve if ye all just keep ignoring the problem and trying to convince everyone else that there's nothing wrong. It's not a personal flaw of yours that you came from a kip.

I love how people who are from these ****ty areas will defend them to the last.

They won't improve if ye all just keep ignoring the problem and trying to convince everyone else that there's nothing wrong. It's not a personal flaw of yours that you came from a kip.

Completely agree. Some of those areas really are like ghettos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

As bad as Limerick is theres been a lot of success in putting away the worst of the criminals and reducing shootings etc in the last few years.I know Dublin is bigger so maybe it dosen't compare but its seems theres never been any letup in gang activity and they almost never convict any big players they just seem to carry on with impunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Ballyfermot is hardly a war zone :confused: Its awful whats happened to this poor lad, but its not indicative of Dublin as a whole.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Ballyfermot is hardly a war zone :confused: Its awful whats happened to this poor lad, but its not indicative of Dublin as a whole.

In inner-city Dublin it really is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

cloud493 wrote: »

"Ah shure, it's not as bad as some other places......"

Advertisement