Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Shot in Ballyfermot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Could very well be the case like with Guerin that the shear weight of public opinion and pressure from Irish/international media will force the governments hand to act very swiftly.

It worked for a brief period but then got worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Sad news,hope the kid survives and the Guards catch whoever shot him.Probably a better chance they will as opposed to the usual gangland on gangland shooting,hard for the shooter to keep something as newsworthy/disgusting as this quiet.

Some of the reactions here are hilariously OTT though,its not as if this is a regular occurrence and Dublin has suddenly turned into East Baltimore.

A man was shot in Balbriggan today as well. He was coming out of a gym.

http://www.newstalk.ie/Man-critical-after-shooting-in-north-Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Is there any reliable source of information or are people just jumping to conclusions about what happened?

It's on breaking news on Sky News website................

http://news.sky.com/story/1282055/boy-9-shot-and-wounded-by-gunman-in-dublin

By David Blevins, Ireland Correspondent
    A nine-year-old boy has been seriously injured after being shot in the neck by a gunman in west Dublin.

The shooting happened at Croftwood Gardens in the Ballyfermot area of the city on Friday night.

Sky sources say the child was not the gunman's intended target, but was caught in crossfire.

The boy was taken to hospital where he is receiving treatment.

A police officer is also thought to have been injured in a subsequent car chase.

More follows...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

From RTE

Gardaí are investigating after an incident in Ballyfermot in which a child was injured and had to be taken to hospital.
    Details are still unclear but gardaí are investigating the possibility that the child may have sustained a gunshot wound.
    The incident happened at Croftwood Green in Ballyfermot.
    Gardaí are currently at the scene and are trying to establish what occurred.
    The child is thought to be aged between seven and ten years old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I know full well.Its not a problem unique to Dublin though,it happens in every major city in the world unfortunately.Only way to stop it would be to eliminate the vast profits that are being made by those involved in the drug trade,who are responsible for the mast majority of shootings and murders.

Its not a simple problem that can be solved by having more Gardai on the street,or mandatory prison sentences like people have suggested here,and the media bandwagon will spout over the coming days.
    That doesn't make it ok to do nothing. I agree with you that on some scale it will always happen. But we are not attempting to change anything. The government ignore there is a problem, the guards don't push to change anything and the social welfare and health programs stay the same. It's obviously getting worse and it's not going to just suddenly stop.

Any government party(even FF!) that attempts to try something new and proactive, even if it fails badly, i would support and respect them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

When stories have broke about gangland shootings, I have nodded in agreement when people have said "good enough, let them wipe themselves out". We were wrong. This isnt the right approach.

A complete crackdown is required. This cant be allowed happen so easily again.

Oh, there was a garda chase, what were they doing on the scene so quickly?

SKY news said there was a number of shootings in last few weeks in the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

The policing vacuum can't be viewed as just an excuse defending the guards - it's a significant part of the problem.
    Fcuk the city! Give up on this country.
    Whole island is fcuked and this just tops it off.
    It's really not.
    That doesn't make this ok by the way, but hyperbole is of no use.

EyeSight wrote: »
    That doesn't make it ok to do nothing. I agree with you that on some scale it will always happen. But we are not attempting to change anything. The government ignore there is a problem, the guards don't push to change anything and the social welfare and health programs stay the same. It's obviously getting worse and it's not going to just suddenly stop.

Any government party(even FF!) that attempts to try something new and proactive, even if it fails badly, i would support and respect them

Sinn Fein, vigilante justice, worked up the north, was never drugs, joyriders etc!

But there was other stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sinn Fein, vigilante justice, worked up the north, was never drugs, joyriders etc!

But there was other stuff...

Bwah hah hah, never any drugs, nice one. Never any drugs without a kick back into the cause.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Bwah hah hah, never any drugs, nice one. Never any drugs without a kick back into the cause.

Bs, there was never any evidence of that and even the head of Ags said this.

Anyway I was been hypothetical, it will obviously never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The head of the gardai was involved in policing up north?

dave1982 wrote: »
    SKY news said there was a number of shootings in last few weeks in the area

So garda presence in the area had increased but the shooters fire away anyway? Thats an even scarier thought.

I suppose I better wait till I hear more about why the garda were so close to the shooting area that they could give chase. Im just speculating till we hear more.

Hope the lad pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

FM104 Chris Barry saying child was used as human shield!!

I really hope thats untrue, it makes the target as bad if not worse than the shooter

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

ThisRegard wrote: »

That's a load of crap.

You know it's got bad when you speak to a friend up north and he says, it's gone to the dogs down south with drugs and gun crime, thank God I live up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've read 5 media reports on this and all 5 are different. 4 different street addresses, 3 different ages, reports of mistaken identity or that he was caught in a crossfire between 2 gunmen, or hit by a stray bullet from a single gunman.

I lived on one of the streets mentioned for about 20 years. My mum still lives there. I may know the poor child involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The Irish Daily Mirror are reporting that the child was a relative of the intended target and that the shooter was using a shotgun. But at this point different reports are coming in.

From the independent:
    It is understood the six-year-old - who is in a serious but stable condition in hospital - was standing in the hallway of a house last night when two men approached the front door.
    The men knocked on the door but it was already open and they pushed it fully open.
    They fired into the hallway and the boy was hit in the neck, either directly or by a ricochet.
    The child’s uncle was also in the house at the time.
    The incident occured at approximately 10.15pm in the Croftwood area of Ballyfermot.
    The emergency services rushed to the scene to treat the child before bringing him to hospital.
    A Garda source confirmed he was not alone at the time.
    Locals said there was “pandemonium” in the area.
    A source involved in the investigation said the child was “conscious and breathing” when the emergency services arrived.
    “He was awake throughout the ambulance journey.”
    He is in a serious but stable condition in Our Lady’s Hospital, Crumlin.
    Gardai sealed off the street pending a forensic examination by members of the garda technical bureau.
    “I heard a bang, I thought someone had smashed my window,” a local woman said.
    “I came out and everyone was screaming. I stared throwing towels out to people who were helping him to stop the bleeding.
    “I couldn’t look, it was horrible. He looked so small and scared. His glasses were up at his forehead.”
    Large crowds have gathered in the south west Dublin housing estate.
    Gardai are appealing for any witnesses or anyone with detail to contact the Garda Confidential Line at 1800 666 111.
    - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/boy-6-has-been-shot-in-the-neck-at-his-dublin-home-30353670.html#sthash.hmnxsVpQ.dpuf

That child needs to be out of that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

rogieop wrote: »
    Id imagine the shooter will do well to make it through the night.

The hit on him has probably been organised already.

Eradicate the problem.

Yeah because that's what would happen in The Sopranos or the Wire. A "hit" wow you know all the lingo, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

The sky news 'local correspondent' in 'West Belfast' hasn't a clue what he is talking about.

Going on about recent weeks and months. If he had done any research than he would know that drugs related crime has took place in D10 for well over a decade.

This 'recent development' is however shocking to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Arm the bloody guards and give them the funding they need to fight the crime properly. It really does come down to that. They're laughably under equipped and how this isn't seen as a political priority is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Thelonious wrote: »
    Yeah because that's what would happen in The Sopranos or the Wire. A "hit" wow you know all the lingo, fair play.

It's what happens in Dublin too. Better a dead junkie/criminal than him being arrested and naming the people who ordered him to do the shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I live near there and went to see what all the news and gossip was about. There was loads of guards and ambulances. A child was definetely shot anyway.

Apparently guards were nowhere in the area at the time as usual....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

carzony wrote: »

Apparently guards were nowhere in the area at the time as usual....

Yeah because they should have a sixth sense about these events.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

It's worse this country is getting.

Like a mini 'Murica!

Wishing the child a speedy recovery.

sdeire wrote: »
    Arm the bloody guards and give them the funding they need to fight the crime properly. It really does come down to that. They're laughably under equipped and how this isn't seen as a political priority is beyond me.

There was four gaurds protecting the installation of water meters recently. Fund the gaurds properly of course but a kid has been shot in an area with high levels of violent crime so whoever assigns tha gaurds needs to cop on and get their priorities right.

Blay wrote: »

But that's their excuse for every incident in the area. The things that are going on every day in the area isnt put in the paper and it's frightening. Even i'v seen drugs been sold in broad daylight in that area most days.

Despite what the papers say about 'extra police' that;s all bull****.. Sure their stretched as they are where are the extra police coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

carzony wrote: »
    But that thir excuse for every incident in the area. The things that are going on every day in the area isnt put in the paper and it's frightening. Even i'v seen drugs been sold in broad daylight in that area most days.

Despite what the papers say about 'extra police' that;s all bull****.. Sure their stretched as they are where are the extra police coming from?

They can't be everywhere, they don't have the manpower. Blame the gov. for not recruiting more people.

It's an area with high levels of drug related crime. Common sense and priority setting would do instead of sixth sense.

• Advertisement

They can't be everywhere, they don't have the manpower. Blame the gov. for not recruiting more people.

i do blame the gov. Garda numbers have now dropped under the 13,000 figure they wanted to keep for safety sake. Saying that I passed 2 checkpoints today in the Ballyfermot area.

They always seem to have manpower for big checkpoints...

Advertisement