Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Shot in Ballyfermot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Sad news,hope the kid survives and the Guards catch whoever shot him.Probably a better chance they will as opposed to the usual gangland on gangland shooting,hard for the shooter to keep something as newsworthy/disgusting as this quiet.

Some of the reactions here are hilariously OTT though,its not as if this is a regular occurrence and Dublin has suddenly turned into East Baltimore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,041 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There is a lot of reasons, I was merely pointing out the biggest watched show in this country is about gangland killings, something doesn't fit right with me about this.

Gangland killings have been happening for ages. This is just a particularly ugly case. It takes a lot more than a TV show to make someone pick up a gun and commit murder.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Where do I do that?

Connect the dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

How exactly does a child get shot?
    Did a gunman just open fire on the child?
    Did the child just find a gun?
    Where were the parents?
    I think I'll keep my gob shut on this one til I hear more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Blay wrote: »
    Supers and C. Supers take their irders from above too. Do you think they're really worried about water meters? They're told to assign Gardai to duties like that.

So as I said, still members of AGS.
    And I am sick to the back teeth of hearing about people being shot, beaten to a pulp, robbed, carjacked, burglarised and so on every damn day of the week.
    And not a guard to be seen or gotten.
    There was a girl on the radio the other day and she had been assaulted on Georges St(iirc)Dublin on Saturday night last.
    Gardai were called and she was told there was only ONE guard on duty and not to bother reporting it or taking it further as "There really wasn't any point as nothing could be done about it".
    To say the amount of similar calls/stories that flowed in after it was sickening.
    So, my point still stands about letting AGS off the hook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I meant to add that more importantly than all issues I hope the child survives and more protection is allocated to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Was it accidental or?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,619 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

fussyonion wrote: »
    Where were the parents?

Story is two pages back.

Mistaken identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This is so sad :(
    Sky News are talking about it now. He has been taking to Crumlin Hospital.

Unconfirmed reports (by Sky News)
    A Garda was injured in a car chase following the shoot out. Geez. Bloody kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

SKY news and BBC are reporting the shooting, pressure will be on now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

If this kid dies the reaction would put Guerin's murder in the shade :( disgusting and tragic.... hopefully he/she pulls through.

Smidge wrote: »
    So as I said, still members of AGS.

No, it comes down from the DoJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Connect the dots.

Connect 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Id imagine the shooter will do well to make it through the night.

The hit on him has probably been organised already.

Eradicate the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

fussyonion wrote: »
    Where were the parents?

Considering that there is conflicting information on his age and current condition in the online media, I would suggest the mods lock this up for now. Who knows what other information is incorrect.

Family going through enough without incorrect information and speculation being spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,914 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Some of the reactions here are hilariously OTT though,its not as if this is a regular occurrence and Dublin has suddenly turned into East Baltimore.

There were 51 gangland shootings in 2013 in Ireland. Averages out at almost one a week. I would call that too much of a regular occurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Blay wrote: »
    No, it comes down from the DoJ.

Ah, buck passing. Lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

Mistaken identity?

Was the intended target also 4'11"

Literally nothing on the planet with less brains than an Irish gangland killer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

rogieop wrote: »

Eradicate the problem.

Was thinking the same thing

Smidge wrote: »
    Ah, buck passing. Lovely.

You can't blame the Gardai for orders which do not even originate within the organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

I feel sick over this its bad enough an innocent bystander getting shot but its worse that this baby is fighting for his life tonight my prayers are with his family and I really hope he will be ok :(

I think whatever happens we can expect a massive Government/Garda gangland response - this will tip the balance of public opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

rogieop wrote: »

Eradicate the problem.

They'll send another ****e-for-brains after him, more likely to shoot another unfortunate child than his actual target. We had better hope and pray that nobody with even half a brain ever decided to take the criminal path in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

It was bound to happen, for ages everyone was saying sooner or later a kid will get caught up in it.

Will anything change, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

dave1982 wrote: »
    SKY news and BBC are reporting the shooting, pressure will be on now
    It's sad that it takes foreign media to make waves here. I could be mistaken(and sorry if i am) but wasn't it the same with the GSOC bugging and the recent case off the mass childrens grave? I read about them first in non-irish media outlets.

I think the Government should finally do something. As said earlier, when was the last time this stuff was discussed in the Dail or in any election debates? Instead we get senators moaning about banning ice cream men

AGS have a part to play too. They need to start speaking up. They don't waste a second telling ordinary citizens they don't have enough resources so they should say the same to the higher ups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

anewme wrote: »
    There were 51 gangland shootings in 2013 in Ireland. Averages out at almost one a week. I would call that too much of a regular occurance.

I know full well.Its not a problem unique to Dublin though,it happens in every major city in the world unfortunately.Only way to stop it would be to eliminate the vast profits that are being made by those involved in the drug trade,who are responsible for the mast majority of shootings and murders.

Its not a simple problem that can be solved by having more Gardai on the street,or mandatory prison sentences like people have suggested here,and the media bandwagon will spout over the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is there any reliable source of information or are people just jumping to conclusions about what happened?

It was bound to happen, for ages everyone was saying sooner or later a kid will get caught up in it.

Will anything change, I doubt it.
    Could very well be the case like with Guerin that the shear weight of public opinion and pressure from Irish/international media will force the governments hand to act very swiftly.

When stories have broke about gangland shootings, I have nodded in agreement when people have said "good enough, let them wipe themselves out". We were wrong. This isnt the right approach.

A complete crackdown is required. This cant be allowed happen so easily again.

Oh, there was a garda chase, what were they doing on the scene so quickly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Links to media reports please.

Advertisement