Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Shot in Ballyfermot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

20 year minimum sentence for this.
    I dot care what the bleeding hearts brigade think of that. If an example is to be set then this is the perfect opportunity to set it.

Of course we know that there's a strong chance of just 100 hours community service being given instead due to the unfortunate background of the person responsible, coupled with their 79 previous convictions which of course all contributed to the hard life they have had and so they deserve a second (or 80th) chance.

Yes I know I'm rambling but I'm so mad

Heres what several interviews over the next few days will sound like

"ahh shewure hes a lurvely fella, didnt mean no harm by shooding dat chiuld, hes had a very hard life what with all the other misunderstandins, sewure where were dat childs parents? He shoulda been in skewel......"

"emm it was at 10 at night...."

"Yeah dats what I said he shoulda been in bed"

"and what about the man with the gun?"

"Ahh sewure as I said he meant no harm"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

20 year minimum sentence for this.
    I dot care what the bleeding hearts brigade think of that.

Just out of curiousity which bleeding hearts brigade member have you heard campaigning for the rights of someone who shoots a small child? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Living in Dublin a few years now for a few years and every time there seems to be an incident in Dublin Ballyfermot is mentioned. Either the incident happened there or the people involved are from the area.

I went for a drive out there to see what it was really like 1 Sunday and I have to say it's really frightening place. I went to the Tesco there and the amount of people who looked they were zonked out on drugs was unreal. I wont be in a hurry back there.

Im sure there are decent people living there (poor them) but it looks like it is becoming a real no go area. What can be done? Zero tolerant policing or something similar?

In the the 17 years I have lived in Ballyfermot with my very decent family I can honesty say with hand on heart that I have never had an issue or an incident happen to me - maybe I just keep my head down and get on with it but I've never been afraid in the area. Take a drive in the area after dark and there is not a soul to be seen, as unbelievable at that sounds, it's true.
    I don't find it scary at all - never have done and I'm a country lass.
    It's far from a no-go area though, Cherry Orchard perhaps needs attention.
    I will give you your point about Tesco's though, it's horrible - but not scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity which bleeding hearts brigade member have you heard campaigning for the rights of someone who shoots a small child? :confused:

The Irish Penal Reform Trust.

The Irish Penal Reform Trust.

Probably not exactly what they stand for though is it?

• Advertisement

Probably not exactly what they stand for though is it?

Does it matter? Their stated position is that the number of prisoners...sorry...'steakholders' should be reduced, imprisonment should be used sparingly and bail should be even more liberal. That applies to all criminals, including rapists, paedophiles and gangsters.

Does it matter?

I think it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Only heard of this story this morning. What's going on in Dublin these days?
    I suppose the authorities wont lift a finger until it happens in the leafy suburbs. Dublin is losing it's allure very fast lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

I haven't. Yet. But it's only a matter of time. Particularly when it comes to sentencing whoever was responsible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

VinLieger wrote: »
    Heres what several interviews over the next few days will sound like

"ahh shewure hes a lurvely fella, didnt mean no harm by shooding dat chiuld, hes had a very hard life what with all the other misunderstandins, sewure where were dat childs parents? He shoulda been in skewel......"

"emm it was at 10 at night...."

"Yeah dats what I said he shoulda been in bed"

"and what about the man with the gun?"

"Ahh sewure as I said he meant no harm"

I doubt it to be honest. Shooting a child would be one of those things that would lose you your neighbour privileges up there. It might even convince some of the witnesses to come forward.

When you think of it, the charges would be along the line of endangerment, assault causing harm and discharging a firearm. Not charges that generally carry high sentences. The fact the victim is a child will be unlikely to affect sentencing too much. If you support lighter alternative sentencing in general then you have to accept that people like the guy who shot the child will also take advantage of it.

Birroc wrote: »
    I suppose the authorities wont lift a finger until it happens in the leafy suburbs. Dublin is losing it's allure very fast lately.

What do you mean lift a finger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

When you think of it, the charges would be along the line of endangerment, assault causing harm and discharging a firearm. Not charges that generally carry high sentences.
    Possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life (section 15 of the firearms act) would be the first charge I'd think you could prove if you caught the person responsible, seeing as how they had the gun and were shooting at someone with it. The punishment for that is "imprisonment for life or such shorter term as the court may determine" and "a fine of such amount as the court considers appropriate". I don't know what you think of as a high sentence, but I don't think the law is lacking teeth here (all your remaining life and all your money? You can't have a harsher sentence than that without bringing back hanging).
    Whether or not the courts choose to use those teeth on the other hand...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Birroc wrote: »

Shootings tend to get attention on a case by case basis. It seems they haven't quite cracked going all timecop on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

From what i'v heard the department of justice want these people caught and dealt with asap because of the already bad press. I live here and the amount of guards around the place now is unbelievable. Lots of new unmarked cars about and armed detectives..

carzony wrote: »
    From what i'v heard the department of justice want these people caught and dealt with asap because of the already bad press. I live here and the amount of guards around the place now is unbelievable. Lots of new unmarked cars about and armed detectives..

A child was shot. I doubt the department of justice have to put any pressure on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Since details have already been published by the media, I guess it's ok to publish them here.

The boy who was shot is Sean Scully:
    http://i.imgur.com/wgIus5V.jpg

The man arrested for withholding information is his uncle Keith Lyons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Since details have already been published by the media, I guess it's ok to publish them here.

The boy who was shot is Sean Scully:
    http://i.imgur.com/wgIus5V.jpg

The man arrested for withholding information is his uncle Keith Lyons.

The scummer code of not talking to the police is still in force then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I love how people who are from these ****ty areas will defend them to the last.

They won't improve if ye all just keep ignoring the problem and trying to convince everyone else that there's nothing wrong. It's not a personal flaw of yours that you came from a kip.

Agree with this. Dubliners seem happy to accept the cesspit that is Dublin's inner city provided the scum doesn't migrate to their suburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

prisoners...sorry...'steakholders'
    I've never seen prisoners being described in this way before. I didn't even know they got steak. How long are they asked to hold it for and for what purpose? Is it cooked and do they get to eat it later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Agree with this. Dubliners seem happy to accept the cesspit that is Dublin's inner city provided the scum doesn't migrate to their suburbs.

Only the entire inner city,and areas like Ballyfermot/Clondalkin/Tallaght etc aren't actually cesspits.That's why Dubliners and people who live in these areas don't like ignorant,media hysteria influenced idiots (who use terms like scum for instance) labeling them so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 kid234

i hope the child will be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Why is this story not bigger? Why are the politicians not up in arms about this? Instead they're bickering over some needless bank inquiry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I doubt it to be honest. Shooting a child would be one of those things that would lose you your neighbour privileges up there. It might even convince some of the witnesses to come forward.
    As the child's uncle has been arrested for withholding information from the Gardai, I guess not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Only the entire inner city,and areas like Ballyfermot/Clondalkin/Tallaght etc aren't actually cesspits.That's why Dubliners and people who live in these areas don't like ignorant,media hysteria influenced idiots (who use terms like scum for instance) labeling them so.

Well said.

It's easier for those who don't or won't take time to look beyond labelling to trade in cliches and righteous indignations, though.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I live in Ballyfermot. Wife grew up here. I moved here from what is known as a very posh area. Things people need to know about Ballyfermot:
    • There are scum here
    • Not everybody is scum (Some of the most decent people you will meet live here)
    • Parts of Cherry Orchard is a law upon itself
    • The scum normally only attack the scum
    • Its fairly empty at night. Yes fights happen, but nowhere more than anywhere else.
    • There is a drug influence in parts of Ballyfermot. The locals know who/where they are, and dont want anything to do with them and would rather them gone.
    • The fact that a family member of the child is refusing to talk to police should give people an idea of the types that exist in Ballyfermot/other parts of Ireland. This does not mean its everywhere.

Like anywhere, there are elements of scum, but people also need to remember that there are also lots of very nice people. In an area of several thousand people, you will have scum who will cause tarring of everyone else who lives here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ballyfermot isn't inner city not by a good bit. Dubs aren't happy to accept any crap in our city its not a case of the poor inner city and the rich suburbs some of the poorest parts of Dublin are suburbs and rich areas like the famous D4 is practically inner city but don't let geography get in the way of your sweeping statements.

No Pants wrote: »
    I've never seen prisoners being described in this way before. I didn't even know they got steak. How long are they asked to hold it for and for what purpose? Is it cooked and do they get to eat it later?

Jesus lad, 2600 posts in one year. Get yourself a few outdoor hobbies instead of being stooped over a keyboard picking up on spelling mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Jesus lad, 2600 posts in one year. Get yourself a few outdoor hobbies instead of being stooped over a keyboard picking up on spelling mistakes.
    You mean like running, cycling and mountain climbing? :rolleyes:

I'm not that pushed about spelling. I wouldn't remark on it unless (a) it was so bad that the message was lost or (b) there was potentially some humour in it. Take the lousy attempt at a joke at face value. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

UCDVet wrote: »
    This is why we need to outlaw guns!

I was waiting for someone to blame law-abiding gun owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

MadsL wrote: »
    I was waiting for someone to blame law-abiding gun owners.

I don't know of any crimes that have happened involving someone who has a licence for a gun other than few poachers

• Advertisement

I don't know of any crimes that have happened involving someone who has a licence for a gun other than few poachers

Probably because people don't report crimes to you.

Advertisement