Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Shot in Ballyfermot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Ballyfermot is hardly a war zone :confused: Its awful whats happened to this poor lad, but its not indicative of Dublin as a whole.

Well that makes it ok so, it ain't as bad as other places.

Continue as you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

At what point did I say 'its not as bad as other places'?
    I said this is not indicative of Dublin as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ballyer is a lot quieter now than it used to be,I know a lot of very successful business people who came from there,,like most working class areas 99% of the time you won't get any trouble unless you look for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

In inner-city Dublin it really is.

Well I'm going to say that I'm incredibly offended by that comment. The vast, vast majority of times i've been in Ballyfermot I've seen people going about their business in a normal manner. There's a sizable elderly population out there too, they're hardly shooting up on the streets!

I don't deny that there's a problem but I can assure you that there's only a small element (mostly in the western half) and they're not indicative of the area as a whole. I don't go around with a bulletproof vest, nor do I have to. I follow the same precautions that I would in any busy area, such as minding my own business and not putting any valuables on display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

cloud493 wrote: »
    Ballyfermot is hardly a war zone :confused: Its awful whats happened to this poor lad, but its not indicative of Dublin as a whole.
    In inner-city Dublin it really is.

Like Mosul or cities in the Ukraine ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

"Ah shure, it's not as bad as some other places......"

Do you live in Dublin or have lived in those areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I've often stayed in bf when I have an early am flight. Had myself some good times, nearly missed a flight one morning after a decent session with some locals.

Overall my experience of the area has been positive. Pity a few drag it down.

Has there been any news on how the little fella is doing?

I havent heard much about him, since the initial shooting. Hope hes doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I have lived there my whole life and I hate to see people on here talk about about the place like they have a clue about the area when they clearly ****ing dont.

There is a lacking of policing in the area which is contributing to incidents such as this. You barely ever see garda around here. They need to increase their resources. Because of that most of the people doing this stuff couldnt care less about the garda.

But if you think the place is a warzone and it's 99% zombie junkies and single mothers who only ever wear pyjamas you're the one smoking crack.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭jimeryan22

Ban the guns..!!! Oh, they are banned..... Society to blame, the break down is escalating world wide, and sick fcuks are on the rise...
    Pray for the young lad..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The thing about Ballyfermot is that it's pretty divided. A lot of it is pretty ok, a lot like most middle income areas, but Cherry Orchard is a different story, particularly in Croftwood. It has often become a warzone between Gardaí and scumbags. Halloween is when the worst happens. I'm not talking about young lads acting up. I'm talking about deliberate attempts to murder Gardaí. Ambushes, petrol bombs and rammings are very real threats to Gardaí there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

So, I found out who the intended target was. (Don't worry mods, I won't mention the name on boards).
    What I can say is, it's a guy that I wouldn't feel any pity for if he was shot.
    Unfortunately, he is the kind of guy to retaliate, so this isn't over yet.

The target wasn't at his own house...it was a relatives house, so I'm surprised that he was attacked there. Sounds like a spur of the moment attack rather than something planned.

So, I found out who the intended target was. (Don't worry mods, I won't mention the name on boards).
    What I can say is, it's a guy that I wouldn't feel any pity for if he was shot.
    Unfortunately, he is the kind of guy to retaliate, so this isn't over yet.

The target wasn't at his own house...it was a relatives house, so I'm surprised that he was attacked there. Sounds like a spur of the moment attack rather than something planned.

Id say a lot of people in Ballyfermot know who this muppet is. Will be interesting to see how he is treated from here on in. He will always be know as ' yer man who shot a child'.

If he is shot dead in retaliation, will his friends be on facebook saying ' ah, he was one of the best' 'Sleep with the Angels' etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

RTE News online are reporting the death of a six year old on their app.

Serious mess up if that's not the case.. the wording in the article seems to suggest a contradiction of the events reported in the article. Something isn's right.

See attached. Screenshot_2014-06-15-20-16.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Ballyer is a lot quieter now than it used to be
    Yeh it had a bit of a bad-ass rep 15-20 years ago, going by news stories... but there hasn't been much of that in a long time.

Amalgam wrote: »
    RTE News online are reporting the death of a six year old on their app.

Serious mess up if that's not the case.. the wording in the article seems to suggest a contradiction of the events reported in the article. Something isn's right.

See attached. Screenshot_2014-06-15-20-16.jpg

One of the papers was reporting he may not walk again so it's possible his condition deteriorated.

Magaggie wrote: »
    Yeh it had a bit of a bad-ass rep 15-20 years ago, going by news stories... but there hasn't been much of that in a long time.

It was only 3 years ago when a Garda was nearly killed at Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

They may have adjusted it cos it states.
    The 6-year-old boy remains in a stable condition in Our Lady's Children's Hospital in Crumlin.

• Advertisement

I live in Croftwood Park, which are the houses just behind where the shooting occurred, and have lived there all my life. I have a PhD in astrophysics, currently lecture in UCD and, modesty aside, consider myself to be very successful.

While all of this true, I consider myself a black sheep of the area. Stolen cars racing down the street wake me every odd day and numerous times I have had to take a long walk home due to the buses refusing to go near my area due to some crime happening earlier in the day. All of my former schoolmates still live in the area and the only reason I feel I have survived so far is that I was lucky enough to make a bunch of friends in Dun Laoighre when I was young.

Let's just say I'm glad to be finally leaving the town in a few months!

I live in Croftwood Park, which are the houses just behind where the shooting occurred, and have lived there all my life. I have a PhD in astrophysics, currently lecture in UCD and, modesty aside, consider myself to be very successful.

While all of this true, I consider myself a black sheep of the area. Stolen cars racing down the street wake me every odd day and numerous times I have had to take a long walk home due to the buses refusing to go near my area due to some crime happening earlier in the day. All of my former schoolmates still live in the area and the only reason I feel I have survived so far is that I was lucky enough to make a bunch of friends in Dun Laoighre when I was young.

Hmm, I always lived further east, around Ballyfermot Road/Kylemore Road and had hardly any trouble. Seems to be mostly the Cherry Orchard and Gallanstown areas that bring the whole place down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Cool story bro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Hootanany wrote: »
    Cool story bro

"The utter ****hole i live in is grand. Nothing to see here folks!"

"The utter ****hole i live in is grand. Nothing to see here folks!"

Don't actually think he said that :)

God, it's not that long or hard to read. He clearly said where he grew up is pretty rough and he'll be glad to get out of there. :confused:

Magaggie wrote: »
    God, it's not that long or hard to read. He clearly said where he grew up is pretty rough and he'll be glad to get out of there. :confused:

Yep this is what I was trying to imply, sorry if I didn't make it clear as I wrote it while walking!

Yep this is what I was trying to imply, sorry if I didn't make it clear as I wrote it while walking!
    Very clear. Some folks probably didn't read it properly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Investigating officers yesterday arrested a relative of the boy, a man in his 30s, in the Ballyfermot area. He was taken to Ballyfermot garda station.

It is believed that the intended target of the shooting was a relative of Sean's. A row had broken out between two brothers and a relative, who ran towards a house. As he was trying to escape, the gunman opened fire, missing the intended target and instead hitting Sean in the neck.http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/pressure-mounts-over-gun-crime-after-boy-6-shot-30356765.html

From what I here the shooting arose out of a dispute between the family over an alledgedly house breaking incident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

20 year minimum sentence for this.
    I dot care what the bleeding hearts brigade think of that. If an example is to be set then this is the perfect opportunity to set it.

Of course we know that there's a strong chance of just 100 hours community service being given instead due to the unfortunate background of the person responsible, coupled with their 79 previous convictions which of course all contributed to the hard life they have had and so they deserve a second (or 80th) chance.

Yes I know I'm rambling but I'm so mad

Advertisement