Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Shot in Ballyfermot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Ireland is indeed one of the safest countries on the planet. However I feel sorry for the decent people of the area who have to put up with complete animals running the area through fear and intimidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

biko wrote: »
    Not sure why you blame "the man". They didn't pull the trigger.

and they don't do enough to stop those that do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Do you seriously think that something so simple as a TV programme is all it takes to compel someone to kill?

No im saying it glorifies these characters, look at Paul Williams books and how well they sell.

There is a fascination with gangland in this country.

All im saying is some kids are naive and might think it's great to be involved in this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Mistaken identify ? He must be a big 9 year old or a small man FfS.

Hope they catch the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Ireland is one of the safest countries on the planet.
    Grand. Sure lets not strive to improve on the crime in the place. Forget that a young kid got shot.
    Just keep repeating Ireland is safe compared to other countries and things will improve themselves
    Not at all, but when impressionable young lads who want to be the next nidge sees how much people love the show and talk about the characters like their heroes and legends they're bound to get ideas in their heads.

Come on. Watching a tv show does not turn people into murderers. There are other problems.
    Besides Nidge doesn't have an easy life at all! The show doesn't show him sitting around smiling the whole time, he's a paranoid mess 85% of the show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Benteke wrote: »

What more can they do? It's 10 years just for possessing a bullet with intent to endanger life.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I see your point but at the end of the day it's a person that decides to pull that gun out. My anger is directed toward that particular scumbag and not "hose in power" (which, tbh, just dissipates the responsibility).

And you can bet your bum he'll be like "I had a bad upbringing"..
    So fecking what, a lot of people manage to live through a bad life without resorting to scumbaggery.

If you bring a gun out on the streets and fire it I think it's premeditated murder to some degree, throw away the key.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

How can you have a mistaken identity with a 9 year old?

Were they looking for Brendan O'Carroll ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

All these gangster wannabes, watching love hate doesn't help.

But it shows this country is fascinated with gangland when one million people tune in to watch it every week.

Guns don't kill people, rappers do Love/Hate does.

But seriously, wtf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

EyeSight wrote: »
    Grand. Sure lets not strive to improve on the crime in the place. Forget that a young kid got shot.
    Just keep repeating Ireland is safe compared to other countries and things will improve themselves

You just had a little argument with yourself.

Do you do that often?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No im saying it glorifies these characters, look at Paul Williams books and how well they sell.

There is a fascination with gangland in this country.

All im saying is some kids are naive and might think it's great to be involved in this carry on.

What about things like cuts in social spending? Underfunded social services who are unable to give every case the attention it fully deserves? Look at some of the cities in the US (Chicago, Detroit & Baltimore) and how bad things are there.

Also, why in heaven would any parent allow their child to watch something like Love/Hate?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Karl Stein wrote: »
    You just had a little argument with yourself.

Do you do that often?
    it was obvious sarcasm. I try to avoid using this emoticon but in your case :rolleyes:

I see your point but at the end of the day it's a person that decides to pull that gun out. My anger is directed toward that particular scumbag and not "hose in power" (which, tbh, just dissipates the responsibility).

So fecking what, a lot of people manage to live through a bad life without resorting to scumbaggery.

I have a mate in college who defends this crap. He says people from these areas see crime as the only way they can make a name for themselves. Despite the fact that me and him both come from tough backgrounds and are in college. The only people who use that excuse are stupid people. There is not excuse for shooting a child in the neck.

Blay wrote: »
    What more can they do? It's 10 years just for possessing a bullet with intent to endanger life.

They need to get tougher, The law is an ass, The courts are a joke, If they catch those who shot that little boy tonight, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that person(s) is out on bail for other crimes and have 60+ charges to their name

Now I can't look into the future or anything like that but it would be a safe enough bet, Hopefully the young lad recovers and those responsable are brought to justice but they will just get out in a few years and probably do it again, When in truth the streets would be much safer if they never got out

What about things like cuts in social spending? Underfunded social services who are unable to give every case the attention it fully deserves? Look at some of the cities in the US (Chicago, Detroit & Baltimore) and how bad things are there.

Also, why in heaven would any parent allow their child to watch something like Love/Hate?

Oh right so it's the government's fault now because they don't give enough money to who exactly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Read else where he was shot by accident while the shooter was chasing the original target through a estate.

Totally reckless no respect for anyone shooting like that

Government might take Guards off water meter duty now:mad:

Surely there will be a huge crackdown on "gangland" now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

If you bring a gun out on the streets and fire it I think it's premeditated murder to some degree, throw away the key.

I agree with you for the most part biko, no sympathy for anyone who does this and no mitigation for the usual lines trotted out. But when you see several guards standing around on behalf of Irish Water and none to be seen in any of these areas where there is constant thuggery and crime and general torment of decent people, surely its impossible for us to keep defending AGS?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Oh right so it's the government's fault now because they don't give enough money to who exactly ?

Governments fault? What are you on about? I'm saying that it's more complicated than just blaming rock music/goth culture/biker gangs/videogames/Love-Hate. Here we have a specific assailant but you, like many seem to buy into the myth purported by the media that it's a simple problem.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Smidge wrote: »
    I agree with you for the most part biko, no sympathy for anyone who does this and no mitigation for the usual lines trotted out. But when you see several guards standing around on behalf of Irish Water and none to be seen in any of these areas where there is constant thuggery and crime and general torment of decent people, surely its impossible for us to keep defending AGS?

Cry me a river, pay your dues ya deadbeat

Completely agree. Whoever assigned those gaurds should be ashamed of themselves.

• Advertisement

That's hardly the fault of AGS, they go where they're assigned. Gardai don't decide 'Sure I'll oversee the oul water meter today for a change'.

my friend wrote: »
    Cry me a river, pay your dues ya deadbeat

What are you on about?:confused:

Governments fault? What are you on about? I'm saying that it's more complicated than just blaming rock music/goth culture/biker gangs/videogames/Love-Hate. Here we have a specific assailant but you, like many seem to buy into the myth purported by the media that it's a simple problem.

There is a lot of reasons, I was merely pointing out the biggest watched show in this country is about gangland killings, something doesn't fit right with me about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

EyeSight wrote: »
    it was obvious sarcasm.

Nope, it was a straw man argument. Learn your fallacies young man.
    I try to avoid using this emoticon but in your case :rolleyes:

Ireland is one of the safest countries on the planet.

Blay wrote: »
    That's hardly the fault of AGS, they go where they're assigned. Gardai don't decide 'Sure I'll oversee the oul water meter today for a change'.

Well, I would imagine that they were assigned that role by another Guard, albeit a more senior one.
    But still a member of AGS, so a guard DID decide that.

When was the gangland culture last talked about in the dail for example? Those in power seem to want to give it a wide berth, They need to do more, That is all I'm saying, As I mentioned in a previous post it's more shocking when we don't get shootings

The powers could very easily tackle the court system and demand tougher sentencing, Sentencing in this country is a joke, Those who commit these crimes should not even be on the streets if the courts done their jobs right in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Completely agree. Whoever assigned those gaurds should be ashamed f themselves.

Meanwhile steddyeddy complains that his local authority is underfunded so there's no all weather pitches or playgrounds open so there's nothing for the kids to do other than go around shooting each other.

Well, I would imagine that they were assigned that role by another Guard, albeit a more senior one.
    But still a member of AGS, so a guard DID decide that.

Supers and C. Supers take their orders from above too. Do you think they're really worried about water meters? They're told to assign Gardai to duties like that.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Read else where he was shot by accident while the shooter was chasing the original target through a estate.

Totally reckless no respect for anyone shooting like that

Government might take Guards off water meter duty now:mad:

Surely there will be a huge crackdown on "gangland" now

Would be nice to think so Dave, but they said that, when Veronica Guerin was shot.."last sting of a dying wasp' I believe the soundbite was

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Meanwhile steddyeddy complains that his local authority is underfunded so there's no all weather pitches or playgrounds open so there's nothing for the kids to do other than go around shooting each other.

Where do I do that?

Advertisement