Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water meter protests

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If SF ever get in you can stick your head between your legs and kiss your arse goodbye ;)

If SF ever get in you can kiss your legs goodbye ;

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Dickie10 wrote: »

Well people, I think the reason that we will never, ever have a revolution of the sort you see in eastern eeurope or the middle east in ireland is because there are not enough working class people in the same areas. there are too many different classes and competeing views.

In eastern europe and the like,communism brought every one down to the same sh88t level, so people had nothing too lose.

Think about it? Dublin is not a big city on international or even european levels. now its not even an industrial heartland city, more so agri produce and some hi tech stuff now, up until recently enough there were vegetable and hay markets in the city and meat factories and the Guinness plant were big blue collar employers.

Thats only half the poopulation in South Dublin and rich parts of the north side like howth/sutton/castleknock, those peole will never march alongside people from Finglas, Inchicore etc. straight away you are down to about the number that marched last week.
    then other cities such as Cork and Limerick have the same problem. then you go into rural ireland which by financial scale is probarbly mostly working class but they see nothing in common with urban working class because they own and farm land which they make very little off but would be scared to march or be seen marching with urban working classes , there are so many different social classes that a big mass revolution will never happen and we will always vote in either FF or FG as the big party that my friends is a FACT.

I, myself am a rural agri sector worker and personally id be absolullty sh88ting it if a party of the extreme left or perhaps right got in power, i will always vote either FG or FF just to be safe

Excellent post Dickie10,probably the most factual of any that have appeared on the topic so far.

There has always been an Urban/Rural divide in Irish society,which many like to think disappeared when we got all educated...well,It did'nt,indeed,if anything it has become far more deeply embedded into our society.

I would see this divide as nothing more than reality at work,with most Irish people being more than capable of dealing with it.

The reality of an Irish Revolution,or Coup d'etat,is far more accurately underlined by the 30% Turn Out in The Dublin Bye-Election last week.

The electorate,by and large were too busy working or takin care of other business to be concerned with high-minded stuff such as voting !
    In eastern europe and the like,communism brought every one down to the same sh88t level, so people had nothing too lose.

This comment just about aces it IMO,with perhaps the only real clue to what form of Policies the Anti-Austerity representatives actually want.

The continuing attempts to demonize "The Rich",without ever specifying what the term "Rich" actually entails does nothing to fill me with hope either.

Ireland and it's population are nowhere near "Poverty" levels as that term would be understood by significant numbers of Eastern European EU countries or even in parts of Portugal,Italy,Spain or France...Harold McMillan really was'nt that far out when he spoke of his UK electorate "Never having it as good"....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

AlekSmart wrote: »
    There has always been an Urban/Rural divide in Irish society,which many like to think disappeared when we got all educated...well,It did'nt,indeed,if anything it has become far more deeply embedded into our society.

I would see this divide as nothing more than reality at work,with most Irish people being more than capable of dealing with it.
    On this issue there is a rural urban divide, because so many rural households already pay for water either through group schemes/ private wells for supply, and waste water treatment systems for waste. I don't think its any deeper than that tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

There is quite a difference to Gardai removing protesters who bully/intimidate men going about their work and who cause criminal damage to private property and calling for politicians to be whipped and stoned in public or for people to bring fireworks to a mass protest that will be packed with women, kids and pensioners :rolleyes:

I don't think you understand the word "violence" and what it means to be perfectly honest.

Have a read here.
    Behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/violence

So when you advocate pepper spray, baton charged, water canon, or (a woman) Someone be thrown in her back and handcuffed, all those actions, whether carried out by protesters, or the Gardai would be
    Behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
    So, yeah you're also advocating violence so get off your high horse there mister Saint Timberrrrrrrr of arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I don't think you understand the word "violence" and what it means to be perfectly honest.

Have a read here.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/violence

So when you advocate pepper spray, baton charged, water canon, or (a woman) Someone be thrown in her back and handcuffed, all those actions, whether carried out by protesters, or the Gardai would be
    So, yeah you're also advocating violence so get off your high horse there mister Saint Timberrrrrrrr of arc.

So if a guard sees some knackbag mugging an old lady he should approach with arms outstretched and in a calm voice ask him to please stop? Gardai using reasonable force ("violence") to prevent a crime is fine with me

Lynching/stoning politicians and bringing dangerous explosives to a massive protest where women/children and pensioners are going to be present is not. If you cannot see the difference then you truly do live in a fantasy world.

• Advertisement

So if a guard sees some knackbag mugging an old lady he should approach with arms outstretched and in a calm voice ask him to please stop? Gardai using reasonable force ("violence") to prevent a crime is fine with me

Lynching/stoning politicians and bringing dangerous explosives to a massive protest where women/children and pensioners are going to be present is not. If you cannot see the difference then you truly do live in a fantasy world.

Violence is violence, it is a word used to describe "Behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something."

It doesn't matter who is the dispenser or the receiver, surely you can see that?

Violence is violence, it is a word used to describe "Behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something."

It doesn't matter who is the perpetrator or the receiver, surely you can see that?

So you are saying that if the law is being broken gardai should not have the option to use reasonable force to stop it?

So you are saying that if the law is being broken gardai should not have the option to use reasonable force to stop it?

No, I'm showing you how you're showing extreme hypocrisy.

Don't claim the moral high ground, and use the rolly eye emoticon, followed by a post saying something along the lines of "so your advocating violence" when you've been advocating it yourself in this and many other threads.

No, I'm showing you how you're showing extreme hypocrisy.

Don't claim the moral high ground, and use the rolly eye emoticon, followed by a post saying something along the lines of "so your advocating violence" when you've been advocating it yourself in this and many other threads.

Lol the pathetic pedantry in your posts is embarrassing at best, Your attempt to liken the use of (legal) reasonable force by the countries security forces to prevent crimes being committed to the calls of some to hang and stone politicians and bring explosives to a mass protest is beyond reasonable and yet again shows the true colours of the no side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I'm interested in this claim that Gardai are acting outside their constitutional remit by protecting the workers of a private company. I'd be interested in where in the constitution this is set out. And more importantly, what effect will it have on all those peoples who have been convicted of robberies in places like Paddy Powers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

I'm interested in this claim that Gardai are acting outside their constitutional remit by protecting the workers of a private company. I'd be interested in where in the constitution this is set out. And more importantly, what effect will it have on all those peoples who have been convicted of robberies in places like Paddy Powers.

Me too.

If a group of people had an issue with your employer and then came along and started to block what you were doing as part of your job, then you'd be entitled to the same protection from harassment as the IW workers.

I'd hope so anyway.

There is absolutely nothing pedantic about pointing out how someone is being hypocritical.

Lol the pathetic pedantry in your posts is embarrassing at best, Your attempt to liken the use of (legal) reasonable force by the countries security forces to prevent crimes being committed to the calls of some to hang and stone politicians and bring explosives to a mass protest is beyond reasonable and yet again shows the true colours of some the no side.

Fyp.

100,000 last Saturday. Never heard anyone recommending violence once.

There is absolutely nothing pedantic about pointing out how someone is being hypocritical.

Fyp.

100,000 last Saturday. Never heard anyone recommending violence once.

Yet one of your crowd wants people to bring fireworks to the next one :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Yet one of your crowd wants people to bring fireworks to the next one :rolleyes:

show us this one person who's calling on people to bring fireworks to the protests.

also, when did a good fireworks display = violence?

show us this one person who's calling on people to bring fireworks to the protests.

also, when did a good fireworks display = violence?

Here ya go, I think you can tell by the context that he doesn't mean a fireworks display :rolleyes:
    Originally Posted by FREETV View Post
    If the Public give in to these thugs in the Dail and start paying for water then they will only have themselves to blame when in the near future Irish Water will be sold and the water prices will sky rocket.
    Why because they are as corrupt as hell!
    Only an idiot would believe a word that spews out of there mouths.
    Enda has a smirk akin to CJ.

Maybe people should keep a few fireworks for the marches on Nov1 Nationwide.

Gardai would love those!

Riiiiiight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think the water meter protests are already beginning to wane, bar the hardcore urban working class areas of Dublin and perhaps Cork.The budget seems to have had something for everyone so that will prob put pay to any marches which attract in the region of 50000 plus which i think was nearer the figure than the 100000 we were hearing.Next week there will be something else on the news such as Ebola, there willl be no rolling back of water meters end of. The 100 euro tax back thing is token gesture as far as government are concerned its in law now and thats it. already im seeing fewer and fewer mentions of it on social media thats always a sign something has had its five mins of fame. time for people to start harvesting the free water that falls from the sky for flushing toilets, watering the garden etc. that would be my advice, peole should get their hands on one of those big cubes for holding chemichals and wash them out for that purpose. hook it up to your gutters and drain pipes , can collect over 1000 gallons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

My work takes me all around the Country. Meters are being installed in the vast majority of areas without any issues at all.

There are protests in a few small enclaves which are a fraction of 1 percent of the total. The idea that these protests represent some kind of popular uprising of the public is laughably embarrassing.

This time next month the idiots behind these actions will have gotten bored and be back down in the bookies or the pub.

My work takes me all around the Country. Meters are being installed in the vast majority of areas without any issues at all.

There are protests in a few small enclaves which are a fraction of 1 percent of the total. The idea that these protests represent some kind of popular uprising of the public is laughably embarrassing.

This time next month the idiots behind these actions will have gotten bored and be back down in the bookies or the pub.

See how many of them are out on a cold frosty January morning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Bringing illegal fireworks to protest always works then again any injuries would be blamed on the big bad Gardai,
    But I'm sure there's plenty out there who wouldn't have an problems using them

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Bringing illegal fireworks to protest always works then again any injuries would be blamed on the big bad Gardai,
    But I'm sure there's plenty out there who wouldn't have an problems using them

De gards tryd to arrest me ma coz she bit em so that made me mad and let off de fireworks in de crowd and hurt all dem kids, little ****ers shodn av been der anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

The protest crowd is increasing and not waning as only the gullible will fall for Enda and his cohorts slight of hand spin and lies and corrupt cronyism.
    The water here isn't fit for consumption or I wouldn't have to be buying bottled water for drinking now for over ten years.

It is because of corruption and mismanagement that the pipes and leaks weren't fixed during and after Bertie's reign.

Mess after mess and they really have the Country almost up in arms because of the Irish Water fiasco and forced austerity and water charge measure.
    At least Sinn Fein will get rid of that insane Property Tax and inhumane water charge if they ever get in power.

I wouldn't bother to pledge any allegiance and trust in the other main parties.
    They are only loyal to themselves, big business and the IMF and EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

FREETV wrote: »
    The protest crowd is increasing and not waning as only the gullible will fall for Enda and his cohorts slight of hand spin and lies and corrupt cronyism.
    The water here isn't fit for consumption or I wouldn't have to be buying bottled water for drinking now for over ten years.

It is because of corruption and mismanagement that the pipes and leaks weren't fixed during and after Bertie's reign.

Mess after mess and they really have the Country almost up in arms because of the Irish Water fiasco and forced austerity and water charge measure.
    At least Sinn Fein will get rid of that insane Property Tax and inhumane water charge if they ever get in power.

I love how you blame the state of the water system on corruption and mismanagement and simultaneously give out about the service being taken over by a dedicated semi private company. Without a hint of irony too.

And bankrupt the country within 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

10 years!

So obviously the water charge doesn't apply to you..... They are waived if its undrinkable.

Can you tell us what town/villages public supply you are connected to?
    I'm keen to see what town Meath CoCo are ignoring for a decade?

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How naive are you?

awec wrote: »
    How naive are you?

Extremely it would seem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

It isn't me you should be slagging off and name calling.

Why don't you write to Sinn Fein or send them emails and tell them exactly what you all think about them?
    Ask them whether they will drop the Property Tax and Water charges.

Are you going to stay loyal to the club in the Dail that is utterly corrupt and support a dedicated quango set up to make gangsters more money?

Anyone who will vote for Fine Gael, Labour or even Fianna Fail in the next election are sheeple and are waiting for somebody else to do something.

The water charges are a step too far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IDpXCev5mk&list=UU24tIehLMj4ggVNcdU5FFsQ

It isn't me you should be slagging off and name calling.

Why don't you write to Sinn Fein or send them emails and tell them exactly what you all think about them?
    Ask them whether they will drop the Property Tax and Water charges.

Are you going to stay loyal to the club in the Dail that is utterly corrupt and support a dedicated quango set up to make gangsters more money?

Anyone who will vote for Fine Gael, Labour or even Fianna Fail in the next election are sheeple and are waiting for somebody else to do something.

The water charges are a step too far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IDpXCev5mk&list=UU24tIehLMj4ggVNcdU5FFsQ

THERE IT IS :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

Did ya ever see such boll*cks in all your life? From the Bray Water Meter Watch FB page.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement