Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water meter protests

Options
1333435363739»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

.............. Surely she could have just been led away by the two that already had her?

Why TF should she be "led away"?

She was treated as she should have been. There's an old Chinese saying "Don't kick a tiger in the ass unless you have a plan to deal with his teeth!" That woman was up to no good and was dealt with accordingly.

I'd safely bet she, and her ilk, have no problem paying €7 or €8 (or whatever it is) for a vodka and Red Bull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Why TF should she be "led away"?

She was treated as she should have been. There's an old Chinese saying "Don't kick a tiger in the ass unless you have a plan to deal with his teeth!" That woman was up to no good and was dealt with accordingly.

I'd safely bet she, and her ilk, have no problem paying €7 or €8 (or whatever it is) for a vodka and Red Bull?

Fair play for generalising about somebody you have never met before.

bubblypop wrote: »

If my mother, who is probably around the same age as Joan Burton, was trapped in a car by a baying mob, shaking the car & shouting things at her, for OVER 2 HOURS??

I wouldn't be responsible for what I would do to those people.
    Disgraceful attitude.

Yeah but your mother isn't being paid 200 grand a year of taxpayers money to look after the welfare of working class families, while figuratively sticking a knife into the back of said working class families time and time again. Slight difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yeah but your mother isn't being paid 200 grand a year of taxpayers money to look after the welfare of working class families, while figuratively sticking a knife into the back of said working class families time and time again. Slight difference.

Can you explain your comment a bit more.

She is looking after the never workers, never payers, never never never contributors (except for VAT).

Those who are actually working get little. Except maybe the FIS and doctor only medical card.

I can't help but feel that the vitriol some people here have towards the protestors in Tallaght is in part fed by the disdain they have for the working class in general.

If this happened in Foxrock I think people would have not condemned it with quite the same attitude, on the basis that when you have hundreds of thousands of people across the country protesting for weeks on end, the law of averages says that eventually there will be a tiny minority who will overstep the mark. It doesn't detract from the wider cause the protestors have and it certainly shouldn't detract from the undemocratic shambles that is Irish Water.

Even so, the extent of the violence is very limited in comparison to what happens in nearly every other part of the world. For example, there was an ice hockey final in North America recently that ended in a mass riot of "celebration". Far more violent and lawless than anything that has happened here with the water protests.

• Advertisement

Can you explain your comment a bit more.

She is looking after the never workers, never payers, never never never contributors (except for VAT).

Those who are actually working get little. Except maybe the FIS and doctor only medical card.

She works for the country as a whole. I've worked since I left college 11 years ago and had to use the social welfare for 2 months during that time when I was temporarily redundant. Even though I rarely use it, I still care about the social welfare system. Not perfect by any means but I don't scoff at anyone who uses it, you absolute snob.

Why don't you drop the "us and them" attitude and start showing some solidarity with your fellow citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

She wasn't blocking anything though? She got in touching range of the car for about half a second before two guards restrained her and another guard ran across, in front of the car, and threw her to the ground.

Standard procedure; she could have been armed. Be realistic please. Assassinations do happen .

I can't help but feel that the vitriol some people here have towards the protestors in Tallaght is in part fed by the disdain they have for the working class in general.

If this happened in Foxrock I think people would have not condemned it with quite the same attitude, on the basis that when you have hundreds of thousands of people across the country protesting for weeks on end, the law of averages says that eventually there will be a tiny minority who will overstep the mark. It doesn't detract from the wider cause the protestors have and it certainly shouldn't detract from the undemocratic shambles that is Irish Water.

Even so, the extent of the violence is very limited in comparison to what happens in nearly every other part of the world. For example, there was an ice hockey final in North America recently that ended in a mass riot of "celebration". Far more violent and lawless than anything that has happened here with the water protests.

I don't think anyone in Foxrock etc. is worried.

They and similar are part of the million or so who did NOT protest.

We must not forget that there are millions who can afford the charge and will pay it too.

Lots of people, even in straitened circumstances will not get involved in mayhem. Ever.

She works for the country as a whole. I've worked since I left college 11 years ago and had to use the social welfare for 2 months during that time when I was temporarily redundant. Even though I rarely use it, I still care about the social welfare system. Not perfect by any means but I don't scoff at anyone who uses it, you absolute snob.

Why don't you drop the "us and them" attitude and start showing some solidarity with your fellow citizens.

I think you doth protest too much.

Dissimilar views to your own are now Snobbish? Get off the fence now.

Where did I say that the SW system was imperfect? it is perfect for those who use it ad infinitum, but for those who need it as a safety net, TBH it is not for long enough IMV.

I would never want to see anyone wanting. I worked as a kid at thirteen years of age on Saturdays, (illegally then, but times were different) mother and Dad made me see a work ethic.

And I appreciate that now. Even though I hated it when a kid really,

Many in my family have had to rely on SW in tough times, but it isn't for long enough to source another job in many ways.

Nothing personal here. Am not a snob, but I do respect those who work to pay for everyone else, like most of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Sure they shoot people and rape women in Egypt and Syria as a form of protest so what we're doing is nothing. Just because other countries have violent protests does not make it ok to act the prick in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

To be fair, there were people on both sides of the argument saying that the picture was photoshoped because it looked ridiculously photoshoped. Once the video and the rest of the pictures came out everyone said they were wrong. But don't let that get in the way of your sly remarks.

both sides? All the huff was coming from the protesters side. It didn't look ridiculously photoshopped either, well unless you have an agenda.
    crusher000 wrote: »
    Where did the reference to photoshop come from ?. The picture is real but not from the incident that happened with the minister. Sure throw in a smouldering plane while your at it and say Irish water protestors bring down plane at protest involving minister.

I made the reference to the photoshop. I'd rather deal with facts actually.

If she was I still wouldn't be responsible for what I'd do to those people.

To falsely imprison someone, anyone, and think that that's a reasonable thing to do just because her job is that of TD, that's a disgraceful thing.

It tells me all I need to know about those 'peaceful protestors'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Disdain for the working class my foot.. Would you ever get a grip.

There is no justification for thuggery. How much did the protesters think about the peoplewwho got back to education, we're getting honoured for it and had their day ruined my thugs.
    I suppose Murphy will say the bomb threat to Alan Kelly and his staff was justified.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement