Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water meter protests

Options
  • 12-06-2014 11:07am

I've been kinda following the story about the water meter protests on & off for a few weeks now via the Dublin says no facebook page (looks like there's trouble in Raheny today with the Gardaí there).

I can't say I'm a big fan of another bill but it's very clear that we are going to be paying for water next year no matter what.

I admire the dedication of the people who've been out protesting everyday but I can't help but wonder if their actions won't inevitably help increase the water charges. Irish water have contractors working for them & the workers will get paid regardless of weather they install no meters or 10 meters a day. The longer the protesters block work, the longer Irish water will need to keep the contractors on the payroll & you can guarantee that cost will be passed on in the long run.

What do other people think about the protests?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

What do other people think about the protests?

Well-intentioned but futile. Trying to combat any move like this, bin charges, water charges etc. is pointless at the stage when the bin lorry is outside or they're installing a meter, the horse has bolted. In general, Irish people need to become more informed, active, engaged and organised about protesting, not shouting at a workman when it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm all for people paying for what they use. If someone spends all day watering their gardens, I shouldn't have to pay the same amount in tax for water as they do. I'm even more in favour of people who pay no tax at all making some contribution to the costs involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Just an excuse for thugs and riff-raff to behave like thugs and riff-raff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

These lads are revolting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm all for people paying for what they use. If someone spends all day watering their gardens, I shouldn't have to pay the same amount in tax for water as they do. I'm even more in favour of people who pay no tax at all making some contribution to the costs involved.

Does someone spending all day watering actually add to costs enough for it to be non-negligible ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Irish Water will do what they've already done elsewhere; move on and stick the properties on an estimated tariff, which is likely to be higher.

I'm sick of hearing about the "polluter pays principle". When they bring that in for motor tax, I'll start paying attention.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No Pants wrote: »
    When they bring that in for motor tax, I'll start paying attention.

They did

They did
    Really? I pay almost a grand a year for mine and it spends an average of five days a week in the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Won’t be futile – they’ll end up getting an “exemption” and won’t have to pay because they couldn’t be bothered their ar$e contributing to society apart from scabbing off it.

I’m big time in favour of water charges if it means less in other taxes such as income tax and VAT. I think even these muppets realise the money for their houses/holidays/pints has to come from somewhere but they genuinely believe that the “rich” (ie those earning 2-3k a month and having to pay out 50% in mortgage costs) should be made pay it for them.

It will all be irrelevant anyway as they’ll all vote in the shinners at the next election and it will all be reversed in favour of the “working class” (if ever there was irony in a term)

I would be more in favour of sorting out the black economy as a means of bringing down the tax burden – of course that would send shivers up the spine of most of these people.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Really? I pay almost a grand a year for mine and it spends an average of five days a week in the driveway.

And you'd be paying more tax if you were driving it every day and/or driving a more polluting car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Then you seriously need to look at the option of flogging it and renting a car when required at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Coat22 wrote: »
    I’m big time in favour of water charges if it means less in other taxes such as income tax and VAT.

Fat chance of that! :D

And you'd be paying more tax if you were driving it every day

How do you make that out? I pay the same amount quarterly, six-monthly or annually regardless of whether the wheels move or not.

How do you make that out? I pay the same amount quarterly, six-monthly or annually regardless of whether the wheels move or not.

Your Motor Tax is based on your car's CO2 emissions. You also pay a carbon tax for every litre of petrol you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Tax on petrol/diesel.

Coat22 wrote: »
    Won’t be futile – they’ll end up getting an “exemption” and won’t have to pay because they couldn’t be bothered their ar$e contributing to society apart from scabbing off it.

I don't want to label all the protesters as scroungers but it's hard to see how they have so much time to protest if they don't work. Simple solution to an exemption would be to stop the water charge directly from any benefits they receive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

There was a lad in a video on that Facebook page op who barged into the workers installing the metres and fell to the ground like Ashley Young when they pushed him off. No need for it. I think the video has been removed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ciarawira

Just an excuse for thugs and riff-raff to behave like thugs and riff-raff.

Excuse me but i am neither a thug or riff raff nor did i behave in such a manner! I protest the charges because : 1. The water is sub-standered
    2. The meters are sub-standered
    and 3. We already pay for water through taxes!

What gives you the right to tar everyone with the same brush?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Curious how people have succumbed so easily to this tax, even to the point of turning against the protesters.Yet no doubt everyone will complain endlessly about having to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ciarawira

I don't want to label all the protesters as scroungers but it's hard to see how they have so much time to protest if they don't work. Simple solution to an exemption would be to stop the water charge directly from any benefits they receive.

Not everyone who doesn't work receives benefits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Just saw this posted on Reddit

http://i.imgur.com/gWADurN.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 BanterZone

I look at the Dublin Says No page now and again for a bit of amusement. Without agreeing or disagreeing with what they stand for I find their conduct so childish its almost as if its satire, deleting any comments that disagree with their actions or views, immature recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Its not the protestors which annoy me, its their tactics - Pretending to fall over at the drop of a hat / Assaulting contractors / Interfering with work / Harrassing residents who do want a meter to be installed etc. are not the most effective tactics to employ and only serve to isolate them from possibly like-minded people.

Its their actions, not their stance that will continue to lose them support and their ultimate fate will be to lose and, for many of them, to move on to the next big "issue".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

shouldnt they have safety helmets/steel toecaps on inside that barricade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Waiting for someone to photoshop Kevin Costner and Dennis Hopper a la Waterworld in to that! :pac:

BanterZone wrote: »
    I look at the Dublin Says No page now and again for a bit of amusement. Without agreeing or disagreeing with what they stand for I find their conduct so childish its almost as if its satire, deleting any comments that disagree with their actions or views, immature recordings.

If anyone disagrees with them their bombarded with abuse.

Your Motor Tax is based on your car's CO2 emissions. You also pay a carbon tax for every litre of petrol you buy.
    My motor tax isn't based on my car's CO2 emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

It's varies depending on when your car was registered, is it not?

My motor tax isn't based on my car's CO2 emissions.

You've a pre-2008 car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What's that costing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement