Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water meter protests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

I can only see a Coalition with Sinn Fein and Fianna Fail.

Only an absolute fool would vote for the likes of Labour and Fine Gael again.

It reminds me of a Masochist or an abused Spouse continually going back again for the same punishment.

Fear of change and what may or may not go wrong if other parties get elected in to power.

Don't expect miracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

FREETV wrote: »
    Politicians should be forced to stick to their pre-election promises legally.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/yourview/make-pre-election-pledges-legal-275535.html
    Actually that's an horrifically bad idea, since things change. If they were forced legally to stick to their pre-election promises, then a promise made 2 years ago might actually be detrimental to the state due to changed circumstances, but they'd be legally required to press ahead with it anyway.

Politicians are already accountable for their pre-election promises. If they fail to deliver, you vote them out.

seamus wrote: »
    Actually that's an horrifically bad idea, since things change. If they were forced legally to stick to their pre-election promises, then a promise made 2 years ago might actually be detrimental to the state due to changed circumstances, but they'd be legally required to press ahead with it anyway.

Politicians are already accountable for their pre-election promises. If they fail to deliver, you vote them out.

Yes, but it takes years usually and the damage could be already done.

So who did you mean when you posted
    I fixed the link now so take it easy on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It reminds me of a Masochist or an abused Spouse continually going back again for the same punishment.

Fear of change and what may or may not go wrong if other parties get elected in to power.

Don't expect miracles.

And voting FF back in would be the right thing to do? The party who bankrupt the country :rolleyes:

If FF get back into power they will be the dominant party and SF will be their little bitch doing exactly what they are told to do. They will get a few crumbs thrown their way and that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

80 TDs between the Shinners & FF?
    Ain't going to happen

They currently have 33 between them.

They aren't going to increase their numbers by over 200%

Fantasy stuff (like SFs deficit plan).

I can't stand any of the parties or Politicians in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

VinLieger wrote: »
    Again you keep harping on about the wishes of the public, you still don't seem to get that the public is not always right no matter what they might want

I'll go with W.S.Churchill's opinion of the situation re the public...
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Winston Churchill

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Don't expect miracles.

The problem with Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein is their failure to admit their past mistakes.

Fianna Fail still claim that the financial collapse was outside their control. Sinn Fein... well... the less said the better (whatever you say, say nothing ;)).

Fine Gael and Labour. I think it's their current disingenuity (to be polite) which is the problem. Things such as "this will fix the health service... these are things you say during an election... we have no control over the imposition of water charges... whistleblowers are treated fairly... lpt is to pay for local services... who needs state examinations?..." that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Politicians should be forced to stick to their pre-election promises legally.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/yourview/make-pre-election-pledges-legal-275535.html

What happens when a coalition Government (like the majority of Irish Governments in history) is formed? Which of the parties' promises should be stuck to (legally)? The majority party? How would that coalition work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Uriel. wrote: »
    What happens when a coalition Government (like the majority of Irish Governments in history) is formed? Which of the parties' promises should be stuck to (legally)? The majority party? How would that coalition work?

As with any contract, the wording must be careful.

The political parties advertise their wares, and create a contract with the public who elect them.

Moreover, individual TDs should be bound to their constituents. If a TD goes for election and says "I will never vote in favour of X" and then votes in favour of X, then his constituents should have the power to turf him out of office.

Of course if he said "I will try to the best of my abilities to oppose legislation concerning X" then he could argue that he tried, and failed, to convine the House to oppose such legislation, so voting in favour of it is neither here nor there. However, going for election with such a wishy-washy manifesto mightn't be terribly popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

You have paid for the water and infrastructure that you have used up until now. What was paid before wasn't enough and therefore the.water charges are being bought in to pay for the water (including treatment and new infrastructure and repairs to old) that you will use in the future.

We're still paying with all the levies and charges that have been imposed on us, that's all still being taken in these taxes. The water system has been leaking for years now due to little or no maintenance by the relevant councils and corporations so you have to ask the question, where did all the money that has been taken and is still being taken, go to? Even if Irish Water does actually get off the ground, are all the existing levies going to be axed? I very much doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Does anybody get laid at these protests ? I'm feeling the urge to get my end away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

As with any contract, the wording must be careful.

The political parties advertise their wares, and create a contract with the public who elect them.

We elect a Government to govern. The clue is in the name. You're not contracting a contractor. I really think a lesson in what representative democracy is and is not should be a sticky around these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

And some people accuse the government of scare tactics? This is by far the worst attempt at getting the charges repealed. Absolutely pathetic.

It is high time that the People of Ireland take a stand for themselves, their children and their future children's children!

Everything about this Government is corrupt to the core!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

You have paid for the water and infrastructure that you have used up until now. What was paid before wasn't enough and therefore the.water charges are being bought in to pay for the water (including treatment and new infrastructure and repairs to old) that you will use in the future.

So now we'll be paying for it still, in the way it's always been paid for, but Irish Water will be wanting paid too? (on top of the previous payment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

It is high time that the People of Ireland take a stand for themselves, their children and their future children's children!

Yeah, a good way to start would be to try to get the Countries finances back on a stable footing, broadening our tax base, reducing our deficit and trying to get the debt burden down. Rather than trying to borrow our way out of this mess like the parties on the Hard Left would like to see and saddling our children with paying it all back.

So now we'll be paying for it still, in the way it's always been paid for, but Irish Water will be wanting paid too? (on top of the previous payment)

No, You will now be paying MORE to help pay for the upgrade of the infrastructure that treats and transports water to and from homes, Is it really that hard for you to get? You paid before, you will now pay more.....get over it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Everything about this Government is corrupt to the core!

FF/FG/Labour are all corrupt political organisations. Irish people know this yet vote for them time and again. Maybe just maybe you know it's the electorate that are the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Everything about EVERY Government we re-elect like sheep is corrupt to the core!

FYP to reflect my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

No, You will now be paying MORE to help pay for the upgrade of the infrastructure that treats and transports water to and from homes, Is it really that hard for you to get? You paid before, you will now pay more.....get over it :rolleyes:

But won't the people who have always been delivering the water, to and from our homes, still be doing.... Just that..... For the next..... 12 years........

On top of that, Irish Water are paying consultants.... And bonuses to themselves for this privilege :confused:

So we're not expected to pay more for the same, we're paying more for bureaucracy and red-tape that was never necessary.

(so yeah, it is that hard for me to get)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Yeah, a good way to start would be to try to get the Countries finances back on a stable footing, broadening our tax base, reducing our deficit and trying to get the debt burden down. Rather than trying to borrow our way out of this mess like the parties on the Hard Left would like to see and saddling our children with paying it all back.

The government have no problem blowing this "extra 2 billion" they found.They have no intention to use the 2 billion to pay off some of our national debt.They'll use it to help buy the next election and they'll put extra taxes on Joe Soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

FF/FG/Labour are all corrupt political organisations. Irish people know this yet vote for them time and again. Maybe just maybe you know it's the electorate that are the problem.

Sf :rolleyes: They would bring the country to it's knees. The choices are limited so who would you suggest to vote in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Sf :rolleyes: They would bring the country to it's knees. The choices are limited so who would you suggest to vote in?

here comes the sinn fein scarmongering,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Scaremongering is unnecessary when it comes to the economic illiterates that are SF.

One simply has to hold a microphone in front of one of their spokespeople for long enough and they'll do the job for you.

Having to put up with the mindless drone of Gerry, Mary Lou, et al, polluting our airwaves, is a small price to pay for knowing they're scaring most of the electorate every time they open their traps.

But won't the people who have always been delivering the water, to and from our homes, still be doing.... Just that..... For the next..... 12 years........

On top of that, Irish Water are paying consultants.... And bonuses to themselves for this privilege :confused:

So we're not expected to pay more for the same, we're paying more for bureaucracy and red-tape that was never necessary.

(so yeah, it is that hard for me to get)

Yes but they will be doing it with nice new pipes, I know in your world they will be in horse drawn carriages and sipping champagne while wearing tuxedo's and monocles but the reality is that the infrastructure needs to be upgraded and this is how it will be done. Don't want to pay then just remove yourself from the public water system and you won't have to.

What's scaremongering about pointing out the stupidity of SF's election promises?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement