Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia Interview - PME in Primary Teaching

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Teenie07

Hi Guys..I'm also starting on this course in September 2014. Is there a link for the facebook page or what do we search for?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Godeo

Well done sonshine and happy birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NoodlesVicD1

JanBan24 wrote: »
    HI everyone

I am new to this thread and to Boards.ie. I was recently accepted onto PME course with Hibernia. well done to all of you on getting the interview and your Irish results that is a great hurdle to overcome. I am living in County Longford and was wondering is there anyone in the Midlands/west region that got into the course? I am looking forward to the induction day and hope to meet loads people. Best of luck to you all in the coming year ....ps is there a facebook page set up for us?

Im Leitrim so I would say we will be in the same centre. Havent heard yet where that will be yet though! Does anyone know when we find out our centres? Im assuming Athlone or Sligo for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sonshine

Teenie07 wrote: »
    Hi Guys..I'm also starting on this course in September 2014. Is there a link for the facebook page or what do we search for?
    Thanks

I PMd mo chuisle and she can add u then!

Sonshine wrote: »

Thanks I was just added.

• Advertisement

Sonshine wrote: »

Thanks I was just added.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eimgal

Hi, I just requested to join the FB group. It came up when I searched for Hibernia 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eimgal

I've just been approved anyway, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wazzap

Hi Guys,

Could you give me an idea of your timetable for the Sept intake? I am looking into doing the course in March but just want to see how realistic it is to keep up a full time job for possibly the first year. Just checking when the first TP will take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mo Chuisle

Hi Wazzap-We are actually so busy, it’s crazy. I am not trying to scare you but the work involved is A LOT more than the 10 hours they say. On a Monday we get two session released to us (these are recorded lectures with various tasks, readings, a small test at the end-they are VERY time consuming). We also have started into the Webinars (so far 1-2 a week, they are live and run for an hour, times vary from 6-8pm-during the week) We have been given 2 CA’s one due at the end of this month the other at the start of January. We have had two days (Saturdays) in Maynooth and some of us have to do an extra Irish course to help us reach a certain level (3 Saturdays) Regional classes start at the end of this month (Saturday). Basically myself and a lot of other people have college for 4 Saturdays in a row one week off and 3 or 4 in a row again. We are also trying to contact schools, meet with them and organize TP too. It is a lot of work, I am working full time but so are a lot of people and a lot of people have extra responsibilities kids etc. Something will have to give in your life if you get in to this course though…social life, work etc..….!

Saying all that the course is really enjoyable so far, I am loving it and so thankful I got in..I’m sure it’ll all be worth it in the end  The best of luck with the interview and all the prep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Wazzap

Thanks Mo Chuisle
    Can you let me know when your first TP is scheduled for? (And a rough date for the rest if possible). Just trying to gauge if they will be before or after the summer for the March 2015 intake. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mo Chuisle

I'm sure the times will change for you and it will be very hard to guess when you'll be doing TP. We are may and nov (7weeks each) feb 2016 (10 weeks) and 2 x 2 week sessions in the Gaeltacht in each of the summers. I'm sure the college may be able to shed more light on the subject..best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Hi guys, I'm thinking of applying for this course for march 2014. I am just wondering how people prepared for the interview, is an Irish course the best way to go or is it possible to do it yourself. Also how are people finding TP? Is it hard to get accepted into schools for this or are they generally welcoming?
    Appreciate any advice anyone may have. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Docscar38

Hi folks. Ye have all probably well forgotten this thread. I was looking for anyone's opinion on the Dianchúrsa. I received an offer from Hibernia this week. I will have to complete the Dianchúrsa as well. Can anyone tell me what it entails? Is it hard? Any advice is appreciated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Blablacat

Docscar38 wrote: »
    Hi folks. Ye have all probably well forgotten this thread. I was looking for anyone's opinion on the Dianchúrsa. I received an offer from Hibernia this week. I will have to complete the Dianchúrsa as well. Can anyone tell me what it entails? Is it hard? Any advice is appreciated :-)

As a hibernia student my advice to you is to reject the offer entirely and go to a different college. This is advice I wish I'd gotten before giving them just over €12,000.

Blablacat wrote: »
    As a hibernia student my advice to you is to reject the offer entirely and go to a different college. This is advice I wish I'd gotten before giving them just over €12,000.

That's pretty strong advice. Maybe i don't have many other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

Hi Docscar38,

I agree somewhat with Blablacat. I too am a current Hibernia Student and the Masters course is quite difficult. As a cohort if we complain about something all we ever get told is that 'it's a Master's level course'. The college is quite unhelpful although there have been a few times they have listened to us.

I myself looking back would still take the Hibernia route as I failed to get into the other training colleges which would have meant another year wait with no guarantee. I would, if offered take one of the other colleges but in spite of an offer Hibernia is the only option. While Hibernia is not ideal, I personally do not think it completely bad. Once you do the work and apply yourself get a good result at the end of the day thats all that is needed. I have friends in other teaching colleges and I would there workload is more or less the same in some respects.

In relation to the Dianchursa I too had the same offer as you. The course is absolutely useless three Saturdays at a Gaelcultur course doing bits of Irish that is useful for the interview to get onto the course in the first place when you get to the Nua-Ghaeilge module the standard of Irish is on a completely different level where you must compare short films and short stories and poetry to a "Master's level".

So long story short Docscar38 - this seems as your only option therefore go for it. Work hard for two years while it is close to €14,000 in total with Hibernia compared with €11,150 with the other colleges (which I believe does not include the Gaeltacht) I find it much more accessible and you are free to work at your own pace in your own time.

Hi Docscar38,

I agree somewhat with Blablacat. I too am a current Hibernia Student and the Masters course is quite difficult. As a cohort if we complain about something all we ever get told is that 'it's a Master's level course'. The college is quite unhelpful although there have been a few times they have listened to us.

I myself looking back would still take the Hibernia route as I failed to get into the other training colleges which would have meant another year wait with no guarantee. I would, if offered take one of the other colleges but in spite of an offer Hibernia is the only option. While Hibernia is not ideal, I personally do not think it completely bad. Once you do the work and apply yourself get a good result at the end of the day thats all that is needed. I have friends in other teaching colleges and I would there workload is more or less the same in some respects.

In relation to the Dianchursa I too had the same offer as you. The course is absolutely useless three Saturdays at a Gaelcultur course doing bits of Irish that is useful for the interview to get onto the course in the first place when you get to the Nua-Ghaeilge module the standard of Irish is on a completely different level where you must compare short films and short stories and poetry to a "Master's level".

So long story short Docscar38 - this seems as your only option therefore go for it. Work hard for two years while it is close to €14,000 in total with Hibernia compared with €11,150 with the other colleges (which I believe does not include the Gaeltacht) I find it much more accessible and you are free to work at your own pace in your own time.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. I appreciate it. I have come across a lot of people who have completed the Hdip with Hibernia and have heard tales of the level of work involved with the current Masters programme. I don't have any other options, i have worked towards this for the last few years getting a Law degree at night and also doing my LC Irish at the same time. I have been taking care of my 3 kids for the last 5 years while in college but this year they will all be gone for 4.hours every morning. That's when i hope to do my work. I would regard my Irish as much better than it came across in the interview as I just froze. Was actually surprised i passed it tbh. Anyhow, that's a long meandering tale that doesn't need to be rattled off. I have heard nothing about the Dianchúrsa previous to the offer letter so it's good to get some idea what it entails (even if it appears to be a pile of dung). As for the course, I have a fair bit of life/work experience (16 years!! Gulp!) That I hope to rely on to push me through. To quote the wise words of Yoda, "There is no try, there is only do." Thanks for your time. All the best with the rest of your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 IsMiseAvril

Just had my interview last Saturday! Already checking my emails too often!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rightofwayed

Docscar38 wrote: »

I got the same offer and from what I have read the course runs over 3 saturdays and there's not much to it. Waiting on my result for leaving cert irish tomorrow so it all hinges on that now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

Mares88 wrote: »
    Now Mo Chuisle, I popped into the tax office today!
    They told me that as its a full time course we will be exempt from the 1st 1350 or something and can only claim off 7grand a year. So she said we could be getting 1400 back next year providing we have paid d tax.
    Next year the same amount comes off so we might only get 300 back.
    I told her it was a part time course through a private college so hopefully shes right.
    That would be a great help!
    I posted off my acceptance forms today after much deliberation. I was thinking of postponing until april with the new baby but i said feck it im just going for it now. The thoughts of waiting 7 months to start is not appealing to me in the slightest. This time next year we will be half way there :):)

Did you successfully claim tax relief? Do you mind me asking how much you were entitled to in the end?
    Is it officially a full time or part time course? Doesn't say on the web and the guy answering the phone in Hibernia seems clueless. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rossoc

Hi guys,

I'm about to apply for the PME in primary education (Sept 2016) in Mary I and also Hibernia, anyone have any tips for the interviews, what sort of things I should zone in on etc? I've been really lucky to do a bit of work experience in various school and worked with a lot of different types of SEN, class sizes, nationalities etc.. is this something I will get to talk about or is more so why I want to be a teacher?

Also anyone in galway or limerick, did you avail of any classes for irish in prep or grinds?

Any information would be great.

Thanks a million in advance,

Ross

Advertisement