Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia Interview - PME in Primary Teaching

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mares88

Mo Chuisle wrote: »
    Oh yeah apologies-I'm a feather head today-no problem to your Mares88,you'll be fine-wow you have your hands full LC&maternity leave!!!!
    The best of luck with your interview stew.z.ger-let us know how it goes..

Mo Chuisle, my hands are ridiculously full!
    Whats the story with you, are you going to try and work through some of the course?
    Also, did you hear when our first stint in the Gaeltacht will be? I was informed the weekend of a family wedding in Marbella in July! Seriously need to win the lotto at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mo Chuisle

Haven't heard exact dates when the Gaeltact will be, only that it is July - August, as it said in one of the attachments with the acceptance email-guaranteed it will coincide with your wedding in Spain! I hope to work as much as possible of the course-fingers crossed-you?! What part of the country you based?
    Still can’t believe how quiet it is about this cohort!!!

Haven't heard exact dates when the Gaeltact will be, only that it is July - August, as it said in one of the attachments with the acceptance email-guaranteed it will coincide with your wedding in Spain! I hope to work as much as possible of the course-fingers crossed-you?! What part of the country you based?
    Still can’t believe how quiet it is about this cohort!!!

I know! Its crazy! Even on education posts! Wedding 3rd july so fingers crossed il be safe! Same as will try work as much as I can. I dunno howewe will fair out with teaching practice in the 2nd year tho. But will just have to take it as it comes freeze the mortgage if possible!

Am on the kilkenny/waterford border so hoping I won't have to travel too far to on sites

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭stew.z.ger

Hey peeps... Random que.. I'm driving up to my interview some day soon.. ;-) are there carparks near there or did you get the train?

stew.z.ger wrote: »
    Hey peeps... Random que.. I'm driving up to my interview some day soon.. ;-) are there carparks near there or did you get the train?

Hey. Where u going from? I left car at red Cow n got luas to abbey st and walked over. Bout a 15 min walk. I had loads of time so got a bite to eat before hand. I didnt feel confident enough to drive in!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 NoodlesVicD1

Hi, I have my interview on Wednesday and I was just wondering what sort of questions were people being asked? I have been preparing but was just wondering did anyone have any tips? For both Irish and English?

Stew.z.ger its right around the corner from Holles Street Hospital so there is plenty of pay parking around the area-the DART station and the LUAS at the top of Grafton St. isn’t too far away either.

NoodlesVicD1, I found the Irish just very chatty and just flowed like a normal conversation. I really think, having been through it you can’t learn things off, it’s really a test of your vocabulary and understanding of the language-listen to RnG and watch TnG over the next few days and know your verbs.

There was some of the old reliable questions though:
    Where I’m from
    How long did it take me to get there
    How did I get there
    What will I do when I go home
    What will I do at the weekend/What did I do last weekend
    Where would I go in the world if I had loads of money
    A few questions on my personal statement
    When I went in, it was lashing rain so we had a little bit of a conversation about how changeable the weather is
    Why I want to be a teacher

English:
    ICT
    What I want to be a teacher
    Good leadership qualities
    What skills could I transfer to teaching
    How did I prepare for the interview
    Why teaching now
    Any teaching experience
    How would I deal with conflict

Can’t really remember much more, it goes by in a blur. All the interviews are so nice and very friendly which puts you at ease!!! THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU BOTH….let us know how it goes!!

Stew.z.ger its right around the corner from Holles Street Hospital so there is plenty of pay parking around the area-the DART station and the LUAS at the top of Grafton St. isn’t too far away either.

NoodlesVicD1, I found the Irish just very chatty and just flowed like a normal conversation. I really think, having been through it you can’t learn things off, it’s really a test of your vocabulary and understanding of the language-listen to RnG and watch TnG over the next few days and know your verbs.

There was some of the old reliable questions though:
    Where I’m from
    How long did it take me to get there
    How did I get there
    What will I do when I go home
    What will I do at the weekend/What did I do last weekend
    Where would I go in the world if I had loads of money
    When I went in, it was lashing rain so we had a little bit of a conversation about how changeable the weather is
    Why I want to be a teacher

English:
    ICT
    What I want to be a teacher
    Good leadership qualities
    What skills could I transfer to teaching
    How did I prepare for the interview
    Why teaching now
    Any teaching experience
    How would I deal with conflict

Can’t really remember much more, it goes by in a blur. All the interviews are so nice and very friendly which puts you at ease!!! THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU BOTH….let us know how it goes!!

Aww man I only seen this message now.. Had my interview today and those were some of the questions I was asked. I feel confident about the English but the Irish you never know. It's so easy to pick out all the negatives though isn't it.. Now its a waiting game... roughly how long did you have to wait? Supposedly its 5-10 working days??

Aww man I only seen this message now.. Had my interview today and those were some of the questions I was asked. I feel confident about the English but the Irish you never know. It's so easy to pick out all the negatives though isn't it.. Now its a waiting game... roughly how long did you have to wait? Supposedly its 5-10 working days??

Really?? Im really hoping I get something along these lines, I just feel my Irish is a bit weak and I wont understand!! :(

Really?? Im really hoping I get something along these lines, I just feel my Irish is a bit weak and I wont understand!! :(

They use quiet simple irish, the speed of it threw me! Keep listening to rnag and an eye on tg4. It really does improve it.

• Advertisement

The waiting game is the worst game ever :( I was waiting 12 working days & checked my emails 5000 times over that period!!

I felt the exact same about the gaeilge, I criticised everything that came out of my mouth! U will be fine!

The Gaeilge was what threw me too-about 30 seconds after sitting down, I was asked a question and I didn’t have a clue what I was being asked, felt fairly unsettled after that and questioned everything I had said when I came out I really felt deflated but I must of said and answered something’s right!! I think I was waiting 4 or 5 days for word but was told in the interview it would be 2-3 weeks before I heard.
    NoodlesVicD1, if you don’t understand, tell them and they will simplify it for you, take your time and listen carefully and tune into RnaG, its brilliant for different dialects, you will be surprised what you will pick up- fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!

hey louise havent heard of that.. at least you got in though & dont have to do the other course!
    Well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pegzy1989

Did anyone who did their interview last week and get a email yet? The wait is killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 louiseB900

Mares88 wrote: »
    hey louise havent heard of that.. at least you got in though & dont have to do the other course!
    Well done!!

Thanks. Sorry what do you mean when you say i don't have to do the other course???

louiseB900 wrote: »
    Thanks. Sorry what do you mean when you say i don't have to do the other course???

I know a girl that applied for last september and failed Irish and had to do a gaelcultúr course in oct/nov so she wasn't eligible to apply again until the april cohort this year!

I know a girl that applied for last september and failed Irish and had to do a gaelcultúr course in oct/nov so she wasn't eligible to apply again until the april cohort this year!

Oh okay i didn't know that could happen thanks for the reply. Have you had your interview yet? Feel like everyone else here has a really good standard of Irish. Think I'm the only one who hasn't. :(

Oh okay i didn't know that could happen thanks for the reply. Have you had your interview yet? Feel like everyone else here has a really good standard of Irish. Think I'm the only one who hasn't. :(

I had mine back in june & got accepted. waiting on leaving cert results. I wouldnt worry, uv a chance now & a chance to work at it. u will be fine.

You need to be sooo proud of yourself.. you are going to be a Primary school teacher. It doesn't matter if you've to do an Irish course - Hibernia see potential in you :-) I would be delighted if I got accepted and that I had to do an Irish course. The main thing is I would be accepted. However I am waiting to hear the good news :-/ fingers crossed. Well done you!! :-D

I got a Gaeilge recommendation with my acceptance louiseB900 but it didn’t say I have to do a course. I knew about the Gaelchulture course and know a few people that had to do it and reapply for their Irish interview-not us thank god!! It recommended a book for me to buy and certain chapters to work on for grammar, so I have got that. Also suggested as much interaction with Irish as possible RnG, TG4 etc…I think they are just giving us an extra opportunity to brush up before we begin :) I really didn’t think I did a good Irish interview and I’m sure everyone on here’s fluency is different, so don’t worry-I think the point is that Hibernia have something to build on!!! What course did they suggest? Might be beneficial to me too! Well done by the way :):)

• Advertisement

I feel my Irish is very weak also. I had my interview yesterday and I have to say it was really awful. I had no break between the two and found it hard to adjust into the Irish, I stumbled across my first few questions and that was it, I was gone, my head was blank. I couldnt even think of simple things like explaining the weather. I was so upset when I came out because I know I'm so much better than that. I'm just curious how your interview went? Were you able to answer the questions or did you struggle?
    I would be over the moon if I got accepted and told to do that course because firstly you have your place and secondly you have that opportunity to brush up on your Irish which will be great! Dont be so hard on yourself! Well done!!

I feel my Irish is very weak also. I had my interview yesterday and I have to say it was really awful. I had no break between the two and found it hard to adjust into the Irish, I stumbled across my first few questions and that was it, I was gone, my head was blank. I couldnt even think of simple things like explaining the weather. I was so upset when I came out because I know I'm so much better than that. I'm just curious how your interview went? Were you able to answer the questions or did you struggle?
    I would be over the moon if I got accepted and told to do that course because firstly you have your place and secondly you have that opportunity to brush up on your Irish which will be great! Dont be so hard on yourself! Well done!!

Totally agree, you are being hard! Take this chance and grab it with both hands, as stew said you are going to get to be a Primary School Teacher now!! Yayyyy!!!

I got a Gaeilge recommendation with my acceptance louiseB900 but it didn’t say I have to do a course. I knew about the Gaelchulture course and know a few people that had to do it and reapply for their Irish interview-not us thank god!! It recommended a book for me to buy and certain chapters to work on for grammar, so I have got that. Also suggested as much interaction with Irish as possible RnG, TG4 etc…I think they are just giving us an extra opportunity to brush up before we begin :) I really didn’t think I did a good Irish interview and I’m sure everyone on here’s fluency is different, so don’t worry-I think the point is that Hibernia have something to build on!!! What course did they suggest? Might be beneficial to me too! Well done by the way :):)

Hey mo chuisle, what book was that?
    Feel like I should be doing something to prepare!! Had rnag on in work yest, it was like double dutch!!
    Also, I find that Seachtain Section of the Independant on Wednesdays is great! Gossip as gaeilge and a small bit of nuacht!!
    Totally with everyone on the worrying thing now, we are in so lets do this and the best we can do!!
    Wish the 13th of August would come and confirm it for me! Imagining opening the results and seeing D1!! My nerves!

Hey mo chuisle, what book was that?
    Feel like I should be doing something to prepare!! Had rnag on in work yest, it was like double dutch!!
    Also, I find that Seachtain Section of the Independant on Wednesdays is great! Gossip as gaeilge and a small bit of nuacht!!
    Totally with everyone on the worrying thing now, we are in so lets do this and the best we can do!!
    Wish the 13th of August would come and confirm it for me! Imagining opening the results and seeing D1!! My nerves!

Don't be negative Mares you will see B1 :-) I seriously hope I have got in.........

I think its amazing thst Hibernia are giving people a chance and telling them to brush up on the Gaeilge. It's a huge complement in my eyes as you have what it takes to be a teacher.. eek!!! St. Pats Froebel and Marino would close the door in your face. I've another 8 working days to find out #wishingmylifeaway

louiseB900 I just got an email requesting me to attend a course too-so you’re not the only one!!! Its years since I actively used Irish so I am actually kinda happy to get eased back into it before the actual modules start :) I'm thinking positive-It is an extra opportunity for us and can only be beneficial!! (just hope it isn't too expensive!)

louiseB900 I just got an email requesting me to attend a course too-so you’re not the only one!!! Its years since I actively used Irish so I am actually kinda happy to get eased back into it before the actual modules start :) I'm thinking positive-It is an extra opportunity for us and can only be beneficial!! (just hope it isn't too expensive!)

where do you have to attend mo chuisle? is it mandatory? I haven't got anything, wonder is it cos I havent my irish results yet? have you paid & everything?

Yep im totally paid up for year 1  The email is very vague but it says I am recommended to attend an intensive Gaeilge course-have no idea where but will be before the Gaeilge module in November-the email says, I will receive more info in September. I’d say you are OK, as I said I got a recommendation with my acceptance email to work on my Irish so I would say you would of heard by now!!!!

Yep im totally paid up for year 1  The email is very vague but it says I am recommended to attend an intensive Gaeilge course-have no idea where but will be before the Gaeilge module in November-the email says, I will receive more info in September. I’d say you are OK, as I said I got a recommendation with my acceptance email to work on my Irish so I would say you would of heard by now!!!!

cool! its getting so exciting now isnt it! id say we havent a clue what we are leaving ourselves in for!!

cool! its getting so exciting now isnt it! id say we havent a clue what we are leaving ourselves in for!!

• Advertisement

Hi Mo Chuisle,
    That's great that someone else is doing the course too. Yea i haven't used Irish for a good few years aswel so it can only be a good thing. You have the great attitude towards it and your right... and The more I thought about it I realised that this course hopefully will be a great help when we start the Irish module. Sure it can only improve our Irish and that's not a bad thing :)
    Yea I also only got a vague message about it.. It doesn't tell you much only that we will hear more in Sept.
    Thanks feeling excited now :)

Advertisement