Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money in the Bank 2014 Thread *POSSIBLE PPV SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭The White Feather

What did the moaners expect?

Cesaro, Reigns and even Wyatt cant win their first title at a match like this, its not big enough (I dont think Wyatt is good enough for it full stop, but many do). Seamus? No. That ship has sailed. Maybe for good. That left Orton or Cena. Kane was thrown in as a possible swerve so lets take him out of the equation too.

So Cena had a one in two chance of winning and people didnt expect it?

Edit: PS: Del Rio is such a non entity I completely forgot about him :pac:

Thats the whole point. The whole thing had an air of inevitabilty around it. Thats the whole problem with Cena. You know he will win anyway no matter what. I like Cena a lot but he doesnt need the title anymore.

I keep saying no one is a credible threat to him besides Lesnar. And we have seen that already. By credible threat i mean built up over time and getting a few wins over Cena. Getting help doesnt count as thats what Wyatt did. He won by getting both Rowan and Harper to help out. Obviously the heel should have to cheat to win but not by getting help.

Look how weak Daniel Bryan was made to look with Brie. They dont do that with Nikki and Cena

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Really? Just because Cena won the whole match was crap? Go get a view on wrestling would ya? Great match, the blood on Orton actually made it more exciting as well

Nah, it wasn't because of the Cena win, I don't see how a title win for him does anything but that wouldn't be my main criticism for the match. I just didn't find it entertaining in the least, very little suspense or drama, no stories told or developed and little in the way of good spots or action. The pacing was also hampered by the fact that there were too many damn ladders around the ring and they got in the way of people being able to move with any pace around the ring. The parts where everyone was hanging on were good as well as the ladder balancing with another but it never went anywhere and usually just fizzled out without much excitment.

To summerise the match; one guy clears the ring, climbs the ladder, gets interrupted, and then another guy clears the ring, climbs the ladder and gets interrupted and then the last guy, Cena, climbs the ladder, noone interrups and he wins without even seem bothered that he won.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I honestly don't believe Cena vs Brock is a big draw at all; we saw it over a year ago and Cena already beat him clean, during a confidence crisis. Brock would draw better against a fresher opponent and would be better off giving someone like Reigns a win to continue a super push which could have started tonight.

WWE went the safe option and will retread old ground. It was the least interesting ending to he match.

I mean... Even if they had the Authority help Cena win (not turn him heel, mind) and say they think Cena winning is best for business... At least that's something new and opens up a fresh angle. But looks like we are getting Cena vs the Authority again, against Brock again....it just bores me.....

Agreed.I'll be keeping an eye on the undercard for the next week or two but doubt they'll get it to a standard to keep me interested,only watched for the gimmickry tonight really.Will probably tune out for most of the rest of the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

So you'd have gone with the only other realistic option of Orton?

I would have gone with Reigns winning after Ambrose returns the favour to Kane by taking him out while he tries to help Orton. Rollins cashes in and then there are some options. Bryan could run in to ensure Reigns retains after clusterfuoking between Kane and Ambrose or Rollins takes the title setting them up for Summerslam. The Cena Lesnar match doesn't need a title angle to make it an attraction.

Point being, Cena with 15 titles at his age is boring, and he simply doesn't deserve it because we all know he will surpass Flair and be hailed as "The Greatest" because WWE want the supposed greatest champion to come from within their own ranks rather than from NWA/WCW.

To summerise the match; one guy clears the ring, climbs the ladder, gets interrupted, and then another guy clears the ring, climbs the ladder and gets interrupted and then the last guy, Cena, climbs the ladder, noone interrups and he wins without even seem bothered that he won.

There were a few cringeworthy spots with guys on ladders,Sheamus in particular.He could've grabbed the belt about three times at one point before he was knocked off.
    The first match was far better imo,it had some great false finishes in comparison.Kofi after the big spot,Rollins before Ambrose ran in and Ambrose when Kane came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭The White Feather

This was a thing of beauty!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

IanMc666 wrote: »
    Well I missed that thread. Most likely because I don't care what they say about them and I'm usually here to see what everyone thought of the actual wrestling itself. I actually thought Paige vs Naomi was a great match earlier and not just because they're quite attractive, because it was actually a good match.

There's more to the women in this than just eye candy most of the time.

There were posts about kidnapping Paige. Think it was in the Payback live thread; they were (rightly) moderated out.
    I honestly don't believe Cena vs Brock is a big draw at all; we saw it over a year ago and Cena already beat him clean, during a confidence crisis. Brock would draw better against a fresher opponent and would be better off giving someone like Reigns a win to continue a super push which could have started tonight.

WWE went the safe option and will retread old ground. It was the least interesting ending to he match.

I mean... Even if they had the Authority help Cena win (not turn him heel, mind) and say they think Cena winning is best for business... At least that's something new and opens up a fresh angle. But looks like we are getting Cena vs the Authority again, against Brock again....it just bores me.....

Cena vs Lesnar for the title at SummerSlam should be a good draw, Brock ideally will be going over and winning the belts and he is expected to wrestle at NOC in Sept so it is reasonable to think Lesnar wins the title and then drop it back to Bryan (maybe).

However, it seems daft to have Brock lose when it's not WrestleMania though but with his limited dates getting to Mania unbeaten and holding the title may be tricky.

Cena vs Lesnar at Extreme Rules 2012 was very good fwiw although they used gimmicks/weapons and Cena took a battering which he may not be physically able to take again. Dem elbows to the head were serious business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

RKO from ladder

Yup, that was the best spot of the match, they worked it really well to look like Orton swinging the leg back to get the positioning right, Cesaro sold it like a champ.

Reigns' offence was a bit underwhelming in this, maybe it wasn't sold too well but some of the spears lacked the intensity that he's put in previously, the ones to Kane and Cesaro especially (though Cesaro's was in a congested area so was more understandable). I thought the match was calling out for a mid air spear off the ladder or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Was a solid enough show, the cinema I saw it at lost the live feed for about 5 mins during the first diva match so we got a free pass to use on some other movie or the next wwe ppv. Place cracked up when everyone was just sitting there muttering and this dude stands up and goes "guys it'll come back if we all just..bolieve!" whole place gave him a round of applause lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I honestly don't believe Cena vs Brock is a big draw at all; we saw it over a year ago
    Yes..because the Rock vs Cena 2 wasn't a big draw either...Oh wait!

• Advertisement

Cena vs Lesnar at Extreme Rules 2012 was very good fwiw although they used gimmicks/weapons and Cena took a battering which he may not be physically able to take again. Dem elbows to the head were serious business.

I'm fairly confident they won't reach that standard again,that match was brutal and it seemed like both guys got heat off each other (Lesnar legit kicked Cenas áss a little bit,Cena no sold it with his promo afterwards),so I'd say they'll tone down the intensity for this one if it happens.That was Brocks first match back too which added a tonne of excitement to it.
    Booking Lesnar is gonna be a big challenge now.It seems obvious he'll go over pretty much anybody and everybody now,so the only reason I have to watch is if they put him in really entertaining matches and Cena isn't one of those for me,because of his style and the fact they already had that match.The only alternative is to have Lesnar lose one or some of his next few matches and that'd take a tonne of momentum off him.I wouldn't be surprised if they did something that stupid at this stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Uso's v Harper and Rowan: Good match, Harper looked great once again. Crowd was into to it, don't know how I feel about Uso's retaining.

Paige v Naomi: Sloppy as ****. Maffew will have a field day with this one. Naomi busted out some decent looking moves, Paige has a long way to go to get anywhere near the likes of Lita/Trish or even Mickie James.

MITB match for the contract: I really enjoyed this match. All the guys went out there and busted their asses, they did a really good job. Rollins is nuts. They did such a good job I actually thought Kofi had it :eek:

Loved the Rollins/Ambrose story, Ambrose looked like a badass and the crowd was hugely behind him. I was genuinely gutted when he got screwed, and that's a good thing. Rollins won exactly how a heel should win.

I didn't give a **** about the title match so I went to sleep after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Why are people surprised at Cena winning? I'm delighted that Bray, Cesaro and Reigns didn't win as, and not to knock their in ring skills, it's not their time yet. Plus whoever wins this will lose to Lesnar at Summerslam, so why ruin their first run with the belt? Let them win it during a one on one, after a bigger build, and not a result that just serves to feed to Lesnar. Del Rio and Kane were never going to win, so either Orton or Cena were the only believable choices left. Orton vs Lesnar makes no sense and would only result in a face turn for Orton which will get him nowhere fast. Cena is all that's left.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Why are people surprised at Cena winning?

There seems to be confusion, and I don't know if it's that people aren't actually reading why people are complaining or what. No one is surprised Cena won. THATS the problem. It was inevitable. Worse, it played out exactly how everyone could have predicted. Not only did they go with the most obvious winner, they had him win in he most obvious and boring way possible. It feels as if as soon as the Daniel Bryan experiment ended, they snapped back to the status quo as quickly as possible.
    mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Yes..because the Rock vs Cena 2 wasn't a big draw either...Oh wait!

Two entirely different scenarios. Not only was that a Wrestlemania, a card which typically does monster figures regardless, The Rock was coming in as someone who had already beaten Cena. It was already pretty predictable that Cena was winning. There was no doubt. But at least the story was stronger.

We are going to be expected to believe Brock is the biggest threat to Cena ever, and ignore that Cena beat him clean, in a gimmick match as well. And the undercard is going to be significantly weaker than what Cena/Rock had to support them as well.

Like I said I haven't seen the match yet, but i've heard it being described as Cena essentially battering two guys at the same time(Orton and Kane) and waltzing up the ladder as fresh as a daisy totally unopposed.

Was it as bad as that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

Rasslin

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Like I said I haven't seen the match yet, but i've heard it being described as Cena essentially battering two guys at the same time(Orton and Kane) and waltzing up the ladder as fresh as a daisy totally unopposed.

Was it as bad as that?

Yes. But I personally felt the entire match was like that, and that wasn't just Cena. For a match with 8 people in it, no more then 3 every seemed involved in the action at the same time. Especially at the end, it was simply a run through of each person hitting their big move in sequence, and Cena was the last to do it...every now and again, we got a tease of something good...like when reigns and Bryan stared down and the crowd got excited...and two moves latter, it was over and on to the next duo.

I actually quite enjoyed the briefcase match though. The core story of Ambrose and Rollins was well played out and intense, and the supporting cast worked well around them with really good spots. The match told a story and managed to achieve something at the end, namely the idea that we have a rising heel to follow and be excited for. And Ambrose is awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

brock and cena is the biggest money match wwe can do right now. come summerslam it will have been 2.5 years since their last encounter and cena needed a steel chain to the face and an aa on the steps to beat lesnar the last time after getting destroyed for the whole match. you also have the added bonus of heyman involved this time around which should lead to some interesting promos.

lesnar is coming off beating the streak and now goes against cena. its also the most unpredictable match wwe could book...people will say lesnar can't lose because he just beat the streak and then others will say cena can't lose because he never loses (not true but many think that way)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Moneymaker wrote: »

Was it as bad as that?

Waltzed? No, more like sprinted.

There seems to be confusion, and I don't know if it's that people aren't actually reading why people are complaining or what. No one is surprised Cena won. THATS the problem. It was inevitable. Worse, it played out exactly how everyone could have predicted. Not only did they go with the most obvious winner, they had him win in he most obvious and boring way possible. It feels as if as soon as the Daniel Bryan experiment ended, they snapped back to the status quo as quickly as possible.

I've no issue with predictability, it's needed more often than not to build a good story. If feuds were constantly unpredictable the fun would die and it would feel like a different result just for the sake of it.

Cena winning is predictable, but it is also the only answer that makes sense. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer if someone else had the belt, but the WWE has made a massive error of not taking the time to build up extra people to the main event. The only two other faces that have been built up are either injured (Bryan) or fecked off home (Punk). Right now, there is no other choice than to go back to the status quo.

Match still sucked and Cena really needs to learn a thing or two about selling, brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

What a joke by the wwe again, I've had enough of this pure and otter bull**** they keep throwing out, off to TNA I go, at least they try to be creative, wwe not getting another cent of my money of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    What a joke by the wwe again, I've had enough of this pure and otter bull**** they keep throwing out, off to TNA I go, at least they try to be creative, wwe not getting another cent of my money of time

As much as WWE's creative is much to be desired, I think I prefer it than the clusterf**k TNA has been.

Each to their own though. :pac:

back on topic, Didn't catch the PPV last night, What matches are must see?

^^^
    2 ladder matches are very good and very different. they could have wrote a better ending to the mitb match but some of the spots in that match are insane. tag title match is also good and i thought rusev vs big e was a fun encounter. rusev for me has been been a huge success so far on the main roster and i really was against wwe bringing him up.

giving the world title to lashley, sabin, eric young and magnus is now considered creative :confused:

rossie1977 wrote: »
    giving the world title to lashley, sabin, eric young and magnus is now considered creative :confused:

Better then taking the easy route of John *ucking cena!!!!

Better then taking the easy route of John *ucking cena!!!!

no that devalues your world title even more. if wwe put the belt on tyson kidd, santino, drew mcintyre and big e it wouldn't be creative it would be very silly. the main title should only be around the waist of guys that can raise the profile of the title and make money with it.

look at wwe last 5 champions; cm punk, the rock, john cena, randy orton, daniel bryan. first round hall of famers one and all.

Fact is, we've talked before about the wealth of young talent WWE have coming through the pipeline.

Maybe we should re-evaluate that, none of the young guys are ready to be WWE Champion. Whether that's WWEs fault for poor booking(it is) or we have over-rated these guys is a matter of opinion.

You've also got the issue of what SR does with the briefcase, since Cena v Lesnar seems a lock for Summerslam for the strap, and he obviously won't be cashing in on Lesnar.

Could see him with the case for a long time. Or maybe a street fight at Summerslam vs Ambrose with the case on the line and Ambrose wins and gets his payback.

Maybe he will cash in on Roman Reigns at WM31 after he beats Lesnar for it.

Calling it now :pac:

rossie1977 wrote: »
    no that devalues your world title even more. if wwe put the belt on tyson kidd, santino, drew mcintyre and big e it wouldn't be creative it would be very silly. the main title should only be around the waist of guys that can raise the profile of the title and make money with it.

look at wwe last 5 champions; cm punk, the rock, john cena, randy orton, daniel bryan. first round hall of famers one and all.

Still don't agree, half of the people in that match last nite will be hall of famers.so that's nothing to do with it, they just keep putting out **** and we take the ****. There clueless single minded idiots.... Proper champs cm punk, y2j both let walk out the door by the **** wwe

At the risk of moaning (cause other than the last match, I enjoyed the show overall....)

There absolutely was someone ready to step up and take the title last night; Reigns had two years of destroying credible top guys like Cena, Taker, Punk, Orton, and has always been portrayed as being on their level. He had a spectacular Rumble. And going into the show, the story was built around him getting into the match and being the one HHH didn't want to win. The story was also built for him after the PPV too, both in a feud with HHH and with Rollins have the briefcase; a three way feud with Rollins, Ambrose and Reigns for the title would have been fresh, exciting AND I believe something the crowd would eat up.

When Cena was climbing the ladder, had Reigns came in and taken him down, the arena would have erupted big time, and a new star would have been born. But for some reason, as usual, WWE didn't want to pull the trigger yet.

Last night, they missed one of the most perfect opportunities to create a massive baby face star.

At the risk of moaning (cause other than the last match, I enjoyed the show overall....)

There absolutely was someone ready to step up and take the title last night; Reigns had two years of destroying credible top guys like Cena, Taker, Punk, Orton, and has always been portrayed as being on their level. He had a spectacular Rumble. And going into the show, the story was built around him getting into the match and being the one HHH didn't want to win. The story was also built for him after the PPV too, both in a feud with HHH and with Rollins have the briefcase; a three way feud with Rollins, Ambrose and Reigns for the title would have been fresh, exciting AND I believe something the crowd would eat up.

When Cena was climbing the ladder, had Reigns came in and taken him down, the arena would have erupted big time, and a new star would have been born. But for some reason, as usual, WWE didn't want to pull the trigger yet.

Last night, they missed one of the most perfect opportunities to create a massive baby face star.

Only to lose to Lesnar in two months. And that's my point as to why Reigns, Bray or Cesaro shouldn't have won last night. Reigns especially deserves a great first reign and he is just at the cusp at it. Had he won last night , we would all of course think it's an amazing moment, but if he went on face Lesnar there is no way he is walking out with the belt, so his reign (Ha!) would be remembered more for Lesnar stopping it.

I think it's best to have Reigns beat Lesnar down the line for the belt, rather than being nothing more than an interm champion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Underwhelming PPV.

I preferred the MITB match to the title match.

Reigns was way too quiet in the title match for my liking. He only exploded through everyone once, and even then the camera work was shoddy and didn't bring out the best of the moment. It definitely needed a huge spear off a ladder or through one.

Advertisement