Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert Higher Irish 2014 - Before and after discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mundy07

Thank you what does it mean exactly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sorry, I just thought that might help too and was coming back to edit it. It means 'Love conceals imperfections and defects' - or roughly that.
    Searc is a kind of literary word for love.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mundy07

You're a legend. Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Does anyone know where I can find a summary of a thig na tit orm in ENGLISH. I'm fine for the Irish but I don't know the story and I don't want to read the whole book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Realistically speaking, would writing 600-700 words in good irish be enough? I know they say it is, but would it really? :pac:

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me what this means in english? :o
    is fearr an diabhal abhus ná an diabhal anall.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

FatRat wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can find a summary of a thig na tit orm in ENGLISH. I'm fine for the Irish but I don't know the story and I don't want to read the whole book.

Just google 'house dont fall on me' and a google book version comes up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭iamthestig

Any ideas for an "An Triail" question?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

Just google 'house dont fall on me' and a google book version comes up :)

Oh wait thats not a summary its all of it sorry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

aleatorio wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what this means in english? :o
    is fearr an diabhal abhus ná an diabhal anall.

Better to keep enemies close than far away.. I think. Thanks for the thig na tit orm - to the above poster^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Our teacher said if you are looking for an a1 then try and write 4 pages . For essay this is
    How much are ye being told to write ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 2014lchelp

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Our teacher said if you are looking for an a1 then try and write 4 pages . For essay this is
    How much are ye being told to write ?

FOUR?????? our teacher said 2 - 2.5 max

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Realistically speaking, would writing 600-700 words in good irish be enough? I know they say it is, but would it really? :pac:

My irish teacher said to us 600 words is plenty, regards Aiste anyway. Anymore and if you're not repeating yourself or going off topic , the more you write, the more likely you are to make silly grammar mistakes. I wrote 2 pages and 3/4 in my mocks and got an A2 and apparently our mocks were marked "fairly".

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eva_123

Has anyone got a good essay on the Irish language.. I had an A1 one but lost it and I'm so worried its going to come up now, please please please it'd be so appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

My Irish teacher is amazing and she said that the 600 words or whatever they ask you to write is fine. I know that writing less than what they ask can potentially bring you down a lot, but writing more can also do more harm than good since they care much more about accuracy in your Irish than the actual content of the essay, and writing more just gives you more opportunity to make mistakes.

On another note, if anyone has an essay on Daoine Óga they'd be willing to share, I will love them forever. I have nothing at all on it due to missing a lot of school this year and now I'm really worried about it coming up.

2014lchelp wrote: »

I was told 4 too, but I aint doing that :pac:
    My irish teacher said to us 600 words is plenty, regards Aiste anyway. Anymore and if you're not repeating yourself or going off topic , the more you write, the more likely you are to make silly grammar mistakes. I wrote 2 pages and 3/4 in my mocks and got an A2 and apparently our mocks were marked "fairly".

Awh thats such a relief <3 I feel like if I can take forever to plan and write out phrases and stuff and get my thoughts in order, and take my time writing, it'll be much better than a rushed 4 page essay :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

2014lchelp wrote: »

They aren't that nice though If you are looking for an A1.
    I do understand that you make more inaccuracies the more you write . But my intro and closing would take an a4 page in itself . I have so much irish learned off anyways . I might as well use it , seeing as I will never have anything to do with Irish ever again once I'm finished :).

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

I wrote just over 2pages for my mocks and got 84/100 so u don't need anything like 4!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Chonaic17

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    They aren't that nice though If you are looking for an A1.
    I do understand that you make more inaccuracies the more you write . But my intro and closing would take an a4 page in itself . I have so much irish learned off anyways . I might as well use it , seeing as I will never have anything to do with Irish ever again once I'm finished :).

I agree with you. Yeah, of course it's possible to get an A1 with a smaller essay (~600 words), but you do leave a bit up to chance, and if you have good Irish then a few mistakes spread out over a lot of good work looks a lot better than a smaller amount of mistakes but with less written in between. My mocks story was 14 A4 pages long and got 100/100, now obviously that's a bit extreme, but you shouldn't limit yourself to 2-3 pages, you have all that time, and if you can think of a plan, you may as well use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CloCloBrowne

JD244 wrote: »
    Our teachers saying Dís and Colscaradh, I think. I clearly need more Gaeilge prep. She's new to the job and hoping their going to cycle through the syllabus. Essay's focused mainly on the culú and a good few topics linked in to it so emigration, politics, lives of young people today, education, even sport.

I have a feeling the prós will be cáca milis/an coilear lasa (always a choice between them two) if its cáca milis then I think the fillíocht will be colscaradh, however if dís comes up I think it will be with an spailpin fánach. Essay I think it will be something like "Rudaí a théann I bhfeidhm ar saol an déagóra." I can't predict anything for an trial because I do Gafa, but to anyone who does Gafa, my guess would be something on Breandán or Eoin because Eithne has come up the past two years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

Anyone got a good essay on Daoine Óga that they wouldn't mind sharing? I've been sick for so much of this year that I don't have one, and now I'm pretty worried about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Curious x

I have a feeling the prós will be cáca milis/an coilear lasa (always a choice between them two) if its cáca milis then I think the fillíocht will be colscaradh, however if dís comes up I think it will be with an spailpin fánach. Essay I think it will be something like "Rudaí a théann I bhfeidhm ar saol an déagóra." I can't predict anything for an trial because I do Gafa, but to anyone who does Gafa, my guess would be something on Breandán or Eoin because Eithne has come up the past two years

I wish we knew what was coming up! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Efafitz1994

I swear if stadas na gaeilge or something along those lines come up I'd be so delighted...what are the odds??

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sarbear18

Definitely :-) quality not quantity! No matter how much you write if you're not answering the question accurately you're not going to get the A :-) Don't worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 b3rnade11e

Chonaic17 wrote: »
    My mocks story was 14 A4 pages long and got 100/100

That just made me sad..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kateconolly

Okay so I have an essay on drugs, alcohol, social media and Idirlion...will that cover me??

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sayitaintso

I’m learning:
    Aistí: Daoine Óga, Na Meáin Chumarsáide, Ceol, An Ghaeilge

Prós & Filíocht: Dís & Cáca Milis, An Spailpín Fánach, Colscaradh & Géibheann

An Triail: Teicnící drámata, Mailí, Bean Uí Chathasaigh, maybe Seán & Liam, Tragóid

Do yous reckon that’s enough? What are the rest of you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hontheroyalz

I've next to nothing done for irish..I could answer the essay on anything got to do with Meath na Gaeilge but thats about it, what should I cram??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tanya696

Can someone send me an essay on meain cumarsaide.. Or cyber bulling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Tanya696

I’m learning:
    Aistí: Daoine Óga, Na Meáin Chumarsáide, Ceol, An Ghaeilge

Prós & Filíocht: Dís & Cáca Milis, An Spailpín Fánach, Colscaradh & Géibheann

An Triail: Teicnící drámata, Mailí, Bean Uí Chathasaigh, maybe Seán & Liam, Tragóid

Do yous reckon that’s enough? What are the rest of you doing?
    Can u send me your essay on meain cumarsaide

Advertisement