Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert Higher Irish 2014 - Before and after discussion

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

You that's poor by your teacher not explaining that its as simple as copying a sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

FatRat wrote: »
    You that's poor by your teacher not explaining that its as simple as copying a sentence

What? You get full marks for copying the sentence by irish teacher is clare greally in the institute she doesnt get things wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

FatRat wrote: »

My teacher was about as helpful as a potato, she read A Thig na Tit Orm AT us, did no discussion on it and proceeded to move on to something else! And the only essay she did with us was stupid OL topics like music and stuff :confused::confused: Basically taught myself the entire course.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

bb1234567 wrote: »
    What? You get full marks for copying the sentence by irish teacher is clare greally in the institute she doesnt get things wrong

Its written into the marking scheme that it can be taken from the text. Id link, but, alas, im still deemed new!

Its written into the marking scheme that it can be taken from the text. Id link, but, alas, im still deemed new!

I did my mocks and copied from text , got an A1. In the new syllbus you can copy form text.

• Advertisement

This is the marking scheme I just looked it up
    ' Glacfar le freagrai i d'fhocail fein NO i bhfocail an tsleachta, de reir mar a eilionn an chesit. Caithfear Ceist 6(b) a fhreagairt i d'fhocail fein ,afach.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JackH14

I am re-asking a question that I asked earlier just to get more opinions on it. In the comprehensions, if it asks for, say, one point and you give two, both of which are correct, will they give you full marks or take marks from you because it is deemed excess material which shows a lack of understanding?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

JackH14 wrote: »
    I am re-asking a question that I asked earlier just to get more opinions on it. In the comprehensions, if it asks for, say, one point and you give two, both of which are correct, will they give you full marks or take marks from you because it is deemed excess material which shows a lack of understanding?

I'm pretty sure if both are correct your okay. However if one is incorrect and the the other is correct you lose some marks. If you write out the sentence you don't lose marks just time in the exam. This is my teachers advice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

For the aiste etc, there are 80 marks for quality of Irish, 15 for sticking to the topic and 5 for sticking to the style of question (so writing a debate as a debate, writing an essay as an essay).

On paper 2, there are a proportion of the marks going for grammar/gaeilge. 5/40 of the an triail/a thig marks go for grammar, it is proportionate for the other pros and poetry questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nikolaj001

I did ordinary but i made such a ridiculous mistake >_<.I wrote a short story which was supposed to start with ''You ran after your friend.He was angry''.I thought that ''fearg''(angry) meant hungry D:.So then I said that we went to the restaurant,food was nice......Would I still get some marks for that? xD.I mean I said that I was angry too but hey food does bring up your mood?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

i did the things that are important in my life and adapted gaeilge to that instead...i talked about TG4 and RnaG the gaeltacht and gaeilscoileanna and the irish language and kept referring back to why they were important in my life and i also had a paragraph on how the politicians dont take it seriously and how that annoys me...am i completely off task?

OMG me too lol. Happy someone replied :P

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

9bred4 wrote: »
    OMG me too lol. Happy someone replied :P

I sure hope they're lenient with twisting, the only essay I really knew going into this was an Meáin Chumarsáide and I ended up having to twist that to Daoine Cailiúla. Did an okay-ish job of it, I think, I mean I did have a few celebs in there anyways xD

Fiske wrote: »
    I sure hope they're lenient with twisting, the only essay I really knew going into this was an Meáin Chumarsáide and I ended up having to twist that to Daoine Cailiúla. Did an okay-ish job of it, I think, I mean I did have a few celebs in there anyways xD

Well the one about important things is a very broad answer so technically if I say it's important to me than well.. all they can do is mark it correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

9bred4 wrote: »
    Well the one about important things is a very broad answer so technically if I say it's important to me than well.. all they can do is mark it correct!

Lol You dare question my love for Gaeilge?!?

I kept bringing mine back to the question as much as I could so I'd say I'll be grand as well. Considering I got almost no learning done for Irish, I did pretty well for myself.

Fiske wrote: »
    Lol You dare question my love for Gaeilge?!?

I kept bringing mine back to the question as much as I could so I'd say I'll be grand as well. Considering I got almost no learning done for Irish, I did pretty well for myself.

Haha exactly for all they know I'm total Gaeilgoir with "Beatha teanga i a labhairt tattoo'd across my chest!!

Yeah the essays this year allowed you to get away without much learning

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭curlyclodagh

How did people answer 6 b) on the second léamhthuiscint? Very confusing wording!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

How did people answer 6 b) on the second léamhthuiscint? Very confusing wording!

I said people were worried about todhchaí na Gaeilge because newspapers such as Foinse were closing down.

For alt 3 I said people were concerned about the economic situation and even though some improvements have been seen, there is concern that it won't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jackthelad1000

So you know for the essay just saying if you wrote the essay completely off topic could you still get 80/100 because of your irish? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

robman60 wrote: »
    I said people were worried about todhchaí na Gaeilge because newspapers such as Foinse were closing down.

For alt 3 I said people were concerned about the economic situation and even though some improvements have been seen, there is concern that it won't last.

Exactly what I said :pac:

What did people say for the meadaracht of spailpin actually?? I'm worried I gave too much info :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

What did people say for the meadaracht of spailpin actually?? I'm worried I gave too much info :(
    I started going in about how its an amhran and "Is re-aithris ar an ochtfhoclach e an amhran seo" and started talking about the stresses in the lines and a bit about alliteration :cool: I wouldn't worry about giving too much info, they can take what they want and mark you on that, imo rather than if you write too little they can't give you marks for what's not there:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

So you know for the essay just saying if you wrote the essay completely off topic could you still get 80/100 because of your irish? :)

No. If they can't find any link to the title, and you get 0 for sticking to the topic, the whole essay is a 0. Otherwise everyone would just learn an essay and carry on regardless of titles! If you get any marks at all for the topic, you will be awarded marks for the Gaeilge.

I started going in about how its an amhran and "Is re-aithris ar an ochtfhoclach e an amhran seo" and started talking about the stresses in the lines and a bit about alliteration :cool: I wouldn't worry about giving too much info, they can take what they want and mark you on that, imo rather than if you write too little they can't give you marks for what's not there:)

Oh thank god! That's almost word for word what I said!!!

Sorry, I feel like I'm posting tons of questions on this :P but does anyone know roughly how harshly the orals are marked? Like say if I said 'aimsir maith' instead of 'aimsir mhaith' by accident, would they take off lots of marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

Sorry, I feel like I'm posting tons of questions on this :P but does anyone know roughly how harshly the orals are marked? Like say if I said 'aimsir maith' instead of 'aimsir mhaith' by accident, would they take off lots of marks?

If my biggest worry was that I forgot a bloody H in my oral, i'd be on a high! Relax would yah, they'll barely take anything off ...

If my biggest worry was that I forgot a bloody H in my oral, i'd be on a high! Relax would yah, they'll barely take anything off ...

Ah yeah but I did it more than once, more like ten times I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

Ah yeah but I did it more than once, more like ten times I'd say...

well, i don't know how much they'll take off.. all the examiners want us to pass so they probably wont take too much! I know we got away with quite a bit in our oral as our examiner spoke in a different dialect so we all got spoken to very slowly and if we didn't answer straight away she blamed it on her accent and asked a different way... honestly all the want to do is make sure you pass, so just relax and forget about it like

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

Hey guys I know you's probably need a break after all the exams(if you're finished or not yet) but just wondering could anyone send me any A/B1 essay/story they have? Just want to see the layout of paragraphs and length and stuff! Any at all would do🙠Thanks!

Advertisement