Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert Higher Irish 2014 - Before and after discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

are many people doing Oisín i dtír na nóg, hurlamaboc, mo ghrá-sa and an t-earrach thiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

Anyone else think it'll be Spailpín and Cáca tomorrow?

Spailpín yes. Not so sure about Cáca Milis. I'd be far more inclined to say Dís or Gnáthrud really.

I have no real basis other than gut instinct, but Spailpín Fánach and Dís/Gnáthrud seem more likely to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Can anyone link me to some Maidhc Dainin notes. Bad time to realize i haven't had them in about a year.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lady Mac

are many people doing Oisín i dtír na nóg, hurlamaboc, mo ghrá-sa and an t-earrach thiar?

I'm not going to do them. I know it's a risk but I said this morning that if paper 1 went well and I could afford the risk I wouldn't do them. I just feel the time would be better spent on Gafa.

Am I mad??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fionnacake

I think at this stage I'm going to just leave them out :o An Triail is the best thing to focus on at this stage since it's definitely coming up and it's worth more marks, also it might be a good idea to prepare something on the genres of the comprehensions if you haven't already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 sallycoolgal

having to write a talk in irish for german students was the most random thing ever hahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Lady Mac wrote: »
    I'm not going to do them. I know it's a risk but I said this morning that if paper 1 went well and I could afford the risk I wouldn't do them. I just feel the time would be better spent on Gafa.

Am I mad??

A teacher's point of view: prós/filíocht are worth just 30 marks each - that's 5 per cent of the overall each. Either one of the comprehensions tomorrow is worh almost as much as the two put together. If you've been going well and are happy enough you're in the ballpark of the grade you want you could take the hit on one of them but I'd not advise to completely skip both - otherwise you are potentially forfeiting 10 per cent of the entire exam for the sake of a few hours' study. That said, at least you know the other literature will definitely be on so make your own judgement but like I said turning your back compeletely on a significant portion of the marks (when you aggregate those sections' marks) might be ill-advised.

On the point others raised about the essay, I haven't seen the paper myself yet, but you are entitled to disagree with any title if you like. If you are even vaguely worried about having done that you are wasting your worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭iamthestig

having to write a talk in irish for german students was the most random thing ever hahah[/]

I was tempting to write in English. Make it more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

Powerhouse wrote: »
    A teacher's point of view: prós/filíocht are worth just 30 marks each - that's 5 per cent of the overall each. Either one of the comprehensions tomorrow is worh almost as much as the two put together. If you've been going well and are happy enough you're in the ballpark of the grade you want you could take the hit on one of them but I'd not advise to completely skip both - otherwise you are potentially forfeiting 10 per cent of the entire exam for the sake of a few hours' study. That said, at least you know the other literature will definitely be on so make your own judgement but like I said turning your back compeletely on a significant portion of the marks (when you aggregate those sections' marks) might be ill-advised.

On the point others raised about the essay, I haven't seen the paper myself yet, but you are entitled to disagree with any title if you like. If you are even vaguely worried about having done that you are wasting your worries.

Do you know how many points they are looking for on the poet in a poetry question?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LC767

So I'm freaking out because I have Biology tomorrow aswell and so little time to get everything done :O

What pros./poetry would people suggest cramming? I'm a confident enough student to be able to bull**** whatever comes up but I would like an A so which ones should I focus on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ave123

so i did the debate about irish today and i didnt think it was as good as it could have been....i've been preparing for the essay, so the only think i knew how to say at the beginning wa,s a chairde, and i proberly didnt spell it right. i thought my spelling and grammer wasnt much better than in the mocks and it wasnt great in the mocks (50/100). i didnt want to much about things off the topic of irish, so the only other essay i threw in was about drink, and how the irish have a culture to drink...i just hope to god that it didnt go as bad as i thought it did... also i only wrote 3 and a half pages and some people wrote 6..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Keeks96

robman60 wrote: »
    Yes! :)

I did it too! Bhí sé go híontach, agus bhí an cluaistiscint chomh éasca :) I hope the SEC take it easy with paper two tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Anybody do the debate about the economy? The less who did it the better I reckon....

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

Did the blianta óige blianta is fearr one, sure twas grand. That listening though. After section A being easy i was ready for the onslaught but it never came thank god. Thats at least 55 marks in the bag, probably more! And I'm sure most people feel the same about it. Hopefully tomorrow won't be too bad, but seeing as today was pretty easy I don't expect they'll be doing us any favours...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Leavingcert!!

whats the recommended length for the An Triail answer??

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Marteh

Asking a question for a friend here. If you wrote a scéal on Díoma and you thought it meant loyalty, so you wrote an essay on loyalty, will you just lose the 20 marks for story and be marked on your grammar? Or is there a more serious penalty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Guys how many points for each question in prose and poems?

Spailpin better make an appearance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Efafitz1994

i did the things that are important in my life and adapted gaeilge to that instead...i talked about TG4 and RnaG the gaeltacht and gaeilscoileanna and the irish language and kept referring back to why they were important in my life and i also had a paragraph on how the politicians dont take it seriously and how that annoys me...am i completely off task?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 IsMiseAvril

So delighted with how today went, even though i nearly had a nervous breakdown in the loo before at 1:45!! My first time sitting an exam in 6 years (I am back repeating LC HL Irish 10 years after my own LC!!) I nearly did a dance on the table when i seen the economy debate come up. I think tonight I'm going to just concentrate on An Triail (an Teicniochtai Dramata) and hopefully blag my way through whatever poem/story comes up!

Think of it this way...... Oral is worth 40%, Tape 10% and Essay 17% We've already got a decent chunk out of the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 anklebiters

Hi so I was just wondering how much are you expected to write if they ask about the life of the poet. it's always a 6 marker so im guessing about 6-10 lines??
    thank god paper 1 was so good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Marteh

Oral is worth 40%, Tape 10% and Essay 17% We've already got a decent chunk out of the way!

And prose and poetry is only 10% and the rest is 23% I think.. So banking on that

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alexv3

any one know which is easier to get marks in.. gafa/ an triail question or the unseen poem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ita1995

Any one have any idea on what I should concentrate on for "gafa'? Eithne will hardly come up again will she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

alexv3 wrote: »
    any one know which is easier to get marks in.. gafa/ an triail question or the unseen poem?

There is no unseen poem. There is an option for extra poetry, which should have been prepared in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

. I think tonight I'm going to just concentrate on An Triail (an Teicniochtai Dramata)

Have something prepared on téama or mar a chaith a clann le Máire too. That question hasn't come since there has been no choice on an triail.

For an triail I would say 2 pages would be plenty so long as it sticks to the point and answers the question asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

F#ck it. Spailpin and Caca milis will do. Lets cram 2 years of biology in 2 hours.. :D.....:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

I've read over everything that comes up on paper 2, with some extra emphasis on Spailpin Fanach and Colscaradh and Dis and Caca Milis, hopefully i'll be okay tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭2creator

What's the story with timing on paper 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kates339

Just making sure is cruachas dilemma? And an treith scannanaiochta is mo a thaitnionn leat sa ghearrscannan.. Whats the exact translation of this does anybody kno :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭2creator

kates339 wrote: »
    Just making sure is cruachas dilemma? And an treith scannanaiochta is mo a thaitnionn leat sa ghearrscannan.. Whats the exact translation of this does anybody kno :)

Yes on cruachas. That question means "the cinematic trait/technique I liked the most in the short film..."

Advertisement