Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert Higher Irish 2014 - Before and after discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

An féidir le éinne a rá liom cén mhéad leathnach a ba cheart dom a scríobh le h-aghaidh gach páirt don scrúdú? (Prós, fillíocht & Maidhc.)

I got penalised in the pre for writing too much.. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

Aspiring wrote: »
    Wait so only 3 can actually come up then for pros?

No there's:
    Cáca Milis or Lasair choille
    Dís
    Hurlamboc
    Oisin i dTír Na nÓg
    Seal i Neapal or Gnathrud

I'm getting really confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭2creator

Spailpín and dís came up in the mock I had..just wondering was the other mock company the same or what?

Colscaradh and Cáca Milis. Anything bar Oisín I think I'm OK for. And the SEC wouldn't be that sly would they? Would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

No there's:
    Cáca Milis or Lasair choille
    Dís
    Hurlamboc
    Oisin i dTír Na nÓg
    Seal i Neapal or Gnathrud

I'm getting really confused!

Yeah but how can two pros come up on one paper ahhhh this is so confusing :pac:

Everybody has done dis, hurlamboc and oisín, so surely they are the only ones that can be asked no? :p

Or could two come up?

Edit: 2 can come up, my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 maigheo2014

2creator wrote: »
    Colscaradh and Cáca Milis. Anything bar Oisín I think I'm OK for. And the SEC wouldn't be that sly would they? Would they?

They were evil enough to deprive us of Seamus Heaney in the right poetry section!! Ahno hopefully they won't and they'll just stick to the ones that haven't came up! Was hoping the mock papers would have the same on them..may have been a clear prediction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 courtney95

Wait so only 3 can actually come up then for pros?

No there's just a choice to do 2 from those 4..

The 3 other prós are : Dís, Hurlamaboc, Oisín i dTír na nÓg..

So 5 altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

Yeah but how can two pros come up on one paper ahhhh this is so confusing :pac:

Everybody has done dis, hurlamboc and oisín, so surely they are the only ones that can be asked no? :p

Or could two come up?

Edit: 2 can come up, my mistake.

Ohh I get what you're asking now.

I think two can come up and you can answer one or the other, most have probably just studied one. Like when you look through exam papers, if Caca Milis comes up, there is a Lasair Coille question underneath it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ciaratabb1

I wrote 6 pages for my essay on daoine oga because I had so much to write about. Will I get penilised a lot for writing to much , I am freaking out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Caoimhz

Just wondering how much do we have to write for the poems and pros? Also is a page and a half enough for the thig na tit orm question? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Do you know how many points they are looking for on the poet in a poetry question?:)

Sorry for being so late getting back - had to attend a meeting tonight.

Marks are broken into 1 for the name of the poet, 4 for the poet's life (where they were from, what they did for a ling etc.), and 2 the poet's work (as in poetry collections) plus two for writing it sensibly and accurately.

I'd say if you had 2/3 relevant things to say on the second one and knew the poetry collections for the thrid one you'd be grand. Along the lines of what in Fiúntas if you use that book. Might seem like a bit of a pain but very handy marks to pick up - nearly a third of the poetry question usually. Best of luck anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Chonaic17

Ciaratabb1 wrote: »
    I wrote 6 pages for my essay on daoine oga because I had so much to write about. Will I get penilised a lot for writing to much , I am freaking out now!

My story was 12 pages long, there's no marks lost for overly long stories/essays, as long as you keep to the point and keep it interesting throughout. People say you make more mistakes the more you write, but you also write a lot of good thoughts down, so if you wrote a good essay you have nothing to worry about. If they wanted us to keep it short they wouldn't have given us 2 hours for an essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

I'm repeating Irish after 9yrs can't wait till it's over I just really want the C for primary teaching and just found out there that we need to a) use quotes in our an triail answers and b) that techniques is definitely coming up. I didn't even know that was an option I have notes on Maire and her mother and that's it! It's what I was told would come up I'm freaking out now

How do you know techniques is definitely coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

Chonaic17 wrote: »
    My story was 12 pages long, there's no marks lost for overly long stories/essays, as long as you keep to the point and keep it interesting throughout. People say you make more mistakes the more you write, but you also write a lot of good thoughts down, so if you wrote a good essay you have nothing to worry about. If they wanted us to keep it short they wouldn't have given us 2 hours for an essay.

HOLY CRAP! Did you just develop it on the spot? Which title did you do out of interest or are you a native because that's insane!

What's an appropriate length answer for the litríocht bhreise? I'm doing A Thig Ná Tit Orm so would 2-3 pages be adequate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I'd normally quote in an An Triail answer but I'd struggle to quote in a dramatic techniques question.

robman60 wrote: »
    HOLY CRAP! Did you just develop it on the spot? Which title did you do out of interest or are you a native because that's insane!

What's an appropriate length answer for the litríocht bhreise? I'm doing A Thig Ná Tit Orm so would 2-3 pages be adequate

Haha yeah I'm not completely a native speaker but I did grow up partly in the Gaeltacht and I went to a Gaelscoil, in an english-speaking school now though. As for the story well I had a general idea in my head going in, but most of the details I made up as I went along, planning the next few pages as I wrote one.

For the litríocht bhreise I would say that's fine, I generally get about 5 done for that, but if you develop it well and give some nice examples theres nothing wrong with 2 pages, remember, it's only worth 40% of the marks of the essay, and ~7% overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

How long do the pros and poetry questions have to be? 1.5 for ordinary level poetry and 2 for the higher+pros? Also, any predictions on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Chonaic17 wrote: »
    For the litríocht bhreise I would say that's fine, I generally get about 5 done for that, but if you develop it well and give some nice examples theres nothing wrong with 2 pages, remember, it's only worth 40% of the marks of the essay, and ~7% overall.

I wrote 4 pages on my A Thig Ná Tit Orm in the pre and I got penalised! :/ The correcter wrote under it "tá sé soiléir go bhfuil bua na Gaeilge agat, ach ní gá ach thart ar 2 ½ lch a scríobh". :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 galpal123

For anyone who did the talk you'd give on the importance on Gaeilge, did you focus half on Gaeilge and half on culture? My essay is predominantly about the language and I didn't have a full point on culture, it is just weaved through the whole essay. Worried I'll be docked for irrelevance!

rorrissey wrote: »
    I wrote 4 pages on my A Thig Ná Tit Orm in the pre and I got penalised! :/ The correcter wrote under it "tá sé soiléir go bhfuil bua na Gaeilge agat, ach ní gá ach thart ar 2 ½ lch a scríobh". :eek:

That's just their opinion, nowhere in the official marking scheme does it give a maximum word count, sure if your essay rambles on you might lose marks, but if you are giving a lot of details and backing it up with textual evidence, they can't fault you for being thorough.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭richardh330

All I'm saying is dramatic techniques better not come up! Can anyone list all of them?? I know crosceistuchan, teach na cuirte and iardhearcaidh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Is Irish just a case of writing down everything u know about prose/poems/an trial like it doesn't have to be perfectly worded right?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mundy07

What's ainmfocal sa ghindeach iolra?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Mundy07 wrote: »

Plural of ownership so like hataí na mban - the women's hats

Mundy07 wrote: »

Often recognisable by two nouns together with na in the middle e.g. caint na bhfear (the men's talk) for example. This can also describe Ginideach Uatha (singular) for Feminine nouns too unfortunately e.g. imeall na cathrachbut at least if you have to guess it's a potential indicator of the Ginideach Iolra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Dís and Spailpin Fanach... Seems like a relatively nice paper. Mandela comprehension too.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

Good man Seamie, shows up where he wants!

Twas a grand paper, comprehensions were easy enough I thought? Daring to dream of an A :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Good man Seamie, shows up where he wants!

Twas a grand paper, comprehensions were easy enough I thought? Daring to dream of an A :pac:

Had a feeling he'd show up :pac:

Yeah I thought the comprehensions were lovely, and the Q6s were lovely I thought? :)

What did everyone say for the grammar?
    On A I said: nach n-oibreodh, rinneadh
    On B I said: mBliana na gCuimhneachán, Leanfaidh

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

aleatorio wrote: »

I'm usually muck at them, but I had the same for everything which has got to be a good sign :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

I'm usually muck at them, but I had the same for everything which has got to be a good sign :P

So do I, but I felt like I might actually be right for once :pac: fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

aleatorio wrote: »
    Had a feeling he'd show up :pac:

Yeah I thought the comprehensions were lovely, and the Q6s were lovely I thought? :)

Just looked at the paper now - your grammar is spot on. Being asked to identify a verb in the future in an Hons paper is not bad!

Advertisement