Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Leaving Cert Higher Irish 2014 - Before and after discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Just looked at the paper now - your grammar is spot on. Being asked to identify a verb in the future in an Hons paper is not bad!

Omg seriously!?! I got them all terribly wrong in every reading comp ive ever done :pac:

Yeah they weren't bad questions! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

robman60 wrote: »
    Even though I'm dreading it, Spailpín Fánach is going to be there. Mark my words!

I think it will anyway
    What did I say peeps! :pac:

Was a nice paper overall, time is a bit of an issue though. The only question I didn't like was the meadaracht one for Spailpín Fánach. I just said it was an amhrán polaitiúil with comhfhuaimeanna.

I also just realised that I misread the aimsir fhaistineach verb as alt 4 and as a result I put in íocfaidh. I don't think I've ever had one of those wrong previously, but such is an exam situation. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JackH14

When answering the comprehensions, if they ask for say one point do you still get full marks if you give two points quoted from the text? Or is that considered excess material, even if the two points are right?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

What a lovely paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 leaving cert1414

was not expecting Bean Ui Chathasaigh for an triail, winged it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 leaving cert1414

JackH14 wrote: »
    When answering the comprehensions, if they ask for say one point do you still get full marks if you give two points quoted from the text? Or is that considered excess material, even if the two points are right?

nah i'm pretty sure they don't deduct marks for having two points

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Just looked at the paper now - your grammar is spot on. Being asked to identify a verb in the future in an Hons paper is not bad!

I could have sworn it said briathar saor aimsir fhaistineach and I couldn't find on in alt 3 for the life of me so picked one from p4 instead and wrote them a little note :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 louiseB900

hi, could someone tell me please is the speech corrected the same way as a aiste??? 80% gaeilge and 20% for topic???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

robman60 wrote: »
    What did I say peeps! :pac:

Was a nice paper overall, time is a bit of an issue though. The only question I didn't like was the meadaracht one for Spailpín Fánach. I just said it was an amhrán polaitiúil with comhfhuaimeanna.

I also just realised that I misread the aimsir fhaistineach verb as alt 4 and as a result I put in íocfaidh. I don't think I've ever had one of those wrong previously, but such is an exam situation. :(

The meadaracht was the best part :D

I wrote about ochtfhoclach, rithim and uaim and then wrote out the first verse and put lines to show where the béim was :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

Not a bad paper over all! Was a bit stuck for stuff to write on Bean Ui Chathasaigh as my teacher never gave us out any notes on any characters! but i still got a decent answer! quite pleased to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

louiseB900 wrote: »
    hi, could someone tell me please is the speech corrected the same way as a aiste??? 80% gaeilge and 20% for topic???

Yes, it's the same system of marking.

peekachoo wrote: »
    The meadaracht was the best part :D

I wrote about ochtfhoclach, rithim and uaim and then wrote out the first verse and put lines to show where the béim was :D

I wrote about rithim, uaim and chomhuaim and the number of béim in the relinte and chorrlinte :pac: smart idea writing out the verse! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

louiseB900 wrote: »

I think if you're doing the speech the marking scheme allots 5 marks for an appropriate format. It doesn't say where this five marks is taken from, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 coffeelover95

Thought meadaracht was repetition and wrote a lovely paragraph on the repetition of 'an spailpín fánach at the end of each verse...woops..my bad! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I thought it was a grand paper 2. When I sat paper 2 in 2002 I just sat there for most of it. I didn't do any Maidhc, short stories, poetry or stair na Gaeilge.

This time around was different. I finished the paper (just about) and I was happy for the most part. I couldn't really answer the meadaracht question but it's only worth 9 marks so I wasn't that bothered about it. Dis and Maidhc were grand and Spailpin was grand for the most part. I was happy with the comprehensions and I even managed to get 2 of the 4 grammar questions right. I was stuck for time so I only spent about 30 seconds on each 6a question.

I think at the very least I'll get my C3. I think I did better than that but anything above a C3 is a bonus for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I thought it was a grand paper 2. When I sat paper 2 in 2002 I just sat there for most of it. I didn't do any Maidhc, short stories, poetry or stair na Gaeilge.

This time around was different. I finished the paper (just about) and I was happy for the most part. I couldn't really answer the meadaracht question but it's only worth 9 marks so I wasn't that bothered about it. Dis and Maidhc were grand and Spailpin was grand for the most part. I was happy with the comprehensions and I even managed to get 2 of the 4 grammar questions right. I was stuck for time so I only spent about 30 seconds on each 6a question.

I think at the very least I'll get my C3. I think I did better than that but anything above a C3 is a bonus for me.

Nice one. I presume you want the c3 to become a teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

I thought the meadaracht question asked for only one example, so I just did it about uaim. Or am I totally wrong? ;o

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fionnacake

rorrissey wrote: »
    I thought the meadaracht question asked for only one example, so I just did it about uaim. Or am I totally wrong? ;o

I wasn't sure about that either, I just said it was based on the meadaracht of an amhran and then just rambled on for a while about the amount of beats in each line and all :P

Is the quality of Irish important in paper 2? I don't know why but when I was answering this paper it felt like I'd gotten every grammar rule and sentence construction wrong

buyer95 wrote: »
    Nice one. I presume you want the c3 to become a teacher?

Yep, I need it to apply for a postgrad in primary school teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I had everything that came up on the paper learned off . It was plain sailing .
    I felt like I took such a risk not learning poems and pros the came up before . Thankfully it was grand :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Yep, I need it to apply for a postgrad in primary school teaching.

I'm doing that course myself. Best of luck with your results. Where are you hoping to do the postgrad? I'm in Mary I myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Keeks96

Doubt I'll be getting an A after that paper today :(

Help!
    For the Leamhthuiscints do you have to radically change the text for your answer or is it ok to use the words from the text but change them a bit and add in parts and stuff? :eek:

buyer95 wrote: »
    I'm doing that course myself. Best of luck with your results. Where are you hoping to do the postgrad? I'm in Mary I myself.

Thanks :) God, I haven't thought that far ahead yet haha. I wanted to jump the Irish hurdle first before thinking about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

aleatorio wrote: »
    Help!
    For the Leamhthuiscints do you have to radically change the text for your answer or is it ok to use the words from the text but change them a bit and add in parts and stuff? :eek:

You can take it word for word?

Help!

As far as I know you can just lift it straight out of the text in the new syllabus.

FatRat wrote: »

Can you??? Please say it is so :o:o
    I was told that, and did so in the mocks and the paper today, with a little jigging around of the words, and now Ive been told by someone else that that might not be allowed :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Help!

You dont have to change the words at all except in question 6 where it says to write in your own words. You get full marks for copying the answer word for word from the text ( as long as its right obviously!) :)

bb1234567 wrote: »
    You dont have to change the words at all except in question 6 where it says to write in your own words. You get full marks for copying the answer word for word from the text ( as long as its right obviously!) :)

PHEW.
    ok I was worried Id lost my chance at the B1 there for a while :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

FatRat wrote: »

Yes. Did your teacher not practise comprehensions with you???

Advertisement