Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had a quick go and finished Mushroom Cup on 50cc. There's a very 'Wreck it Ralph' level in there. So far 50cc sucks but then it always does but going through it for a feel on the levels. I'm sure it picks up in 150 and mirror mode as always.

Anyway the game looks absolutely stunning. It's up there with Mario 3D World as one of the best looking games ever. Nintendo really know how to make gorgeous looking games.

I am finding the tracks a little wide like in Mario Kart Wii but it's early days yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Had a quick go and finished Mushroom Cup on 50cc. There's a very 'Wreck it Ralph' level in there. So far 50cc sucks but then it always does but going through it for a feel on the levels. I'm sure it picks up in 150 and mirror mode as always.

Anyway the game looks absolutely stunning. It's up there with Mario 3D World as one of the best looking games ever. Nintendo really know how to make gorgeous looking games.

I am finding the tracks a little wide like in Mario Kart Wii but it's early days yet.
    They always have an easy part in Nintendo games to cater for the kids. I'll be playing 50cc with my 4 year old daughter and hopefully that will keep her interested enough to not want me to build Lego or do art or any of that educational crap with her:-)

Anyway I just picked up my copy. Let the games begin....when I finish work!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In a good way it sometimes feels like a ride at Disneyland.
    You're propelled along and all the little details along the edges and in the the structures around you beg for a better look, as you strain to recognise a sign on a bus while you wrestle with an anti gravity power slide, on a bike, while a gorilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

iamtony wrote: »
    to not want me to build Lego

I've used Google Translate but still haven't a clue what this sentence means :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Bowsers castle is one of the best looking stages I've ever seen in any Mk game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Apparently there is some DLC in Japan, specifically a promo for a new Merc, which will mean the characters will be p1ssing around Rainbow Road in one of these,
    mercedes-benz-gla-06.jpg

And as part of cross-promotion that Nintendo are engaging in here's the ad for the car, it's pretty well done imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

thank you very much

awesome i got free game when to download when i registered mario kart 8 from stars a game from wii u game from 8 games to choose from , monster hunter , sonic & mario, sonic lost world, wonderful 101, game wario, wiiu party, nintendo land, and NSMBU pal

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Apparently there is some DLC in Japan, specifically a promo for a new Merc, which will mean the characters will be p1ssing around Rainbow Road in one of these,
    mercedes-benz-gla-06.jpg

And as part of cross-promotion that Nintendo are engaging in here's the ad for the car, it's pretty well done imho

I thought it'd look ridiculous in the game, but it doesn't look that bad IMHO!

mercedes-benz_gla_in_mario_kart_8_story.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Daisy is as troll tactic as ever. Going to try baby daisy now!

Cormac... wrote: »
    I've used Google Translate but still haven't a clue what this sentence means :eek:

I don't know it makes sense in my head does this help "to not, want me, to build Lego"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

iamtony wrote: »
    I don't know it makes sense in my head does this help "to not, want me, to build Lego"

It was a joke, as in why would any adult not jump at the excuse to build legos under the guise of playing with a child :rolleyes:

Cormac... wrote: »
    It was a joke, as in why would any adult not jump at the excuse to build legos under the guise of playing with a child :rolleyes:
    Ah ha thought so but wasn't sure! I am sick of Lego at the moment it's everywhere in my house, need Some racing today. Although with the sun after coming out I'll feel bad keeping her in now....for about 2 seconds.

Out of all the rainbow roads to choose from for the classic track and they went for the n64 one, one of the worst tracks for any racing game ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Well lads, tis no Double Dash.

Well they did the impossible and made n64 rainbow road playable. They've near totally changed it and made it so that one lap is actually the whole race instead of having a course that is way too long.

I think the first time I saw that type of thing was in MK7, with a point to point instead of lap based track on that infernal island.
    This seems to be one of the two point to points in MK8

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Awesome game. Online is lag free too. Almost have all the characters unlocked now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

by playing every cup on 50 cc and you unlock new characters per cup

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Retr0gamer wrote: »

They're wider tracks to accommodate more the larger amount of players, naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Anyone playing using the Wii U Pad and finding holding A to accelerate an absolute pain?

• Advertisement

Anyone playing using the Wii U Pad and finding holding A to accelerate an absolute pain?

Yes, this completely. I haven't tried it with the pro pad yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Yup, have a small depression in me thumb so far today. Would have preferred to use the triggers for accel/brake and the face buttons for items,r even the shoulder buttons but would get finicky fast. Haven't seen a controls screen, don't think there is one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Yup, have a small depression in me thumb so far today. Would have preferred to use the triggers for accel/brake and the face buttons for items,r even the shoulder buttons but would get finicky fast. Haven't seen a controls screen, don't think there is one :(

Doesn't seem to be any kind of options screen. Only the option to switch from standard to motion control in the race pause menu.

Very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Doesn't seem to be any kind of options screen. Only the option to switch from standard to motion control in the race pause menu.

Very odd.

You can use the r stick to accelerate and brake too

You can use the r stick to accelerate and brake too

Thats terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Does this work with the Wii Classic controller too or just the Pro Controller?

Does this work with the Wii Classic controller too or just the Pro Controller?

Works with both

• Registered Users Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Does it work with GC controllers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Does it work with GC controllers?

The device that lets you connect GC controllers to the WiiU has not yet been released.

• Advertisement

The device that lets you connect GC controllers to the WiiU has not yet been released.

There's an adapter here that works already

Advertisement