Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

All this worry.
    Did no one one play MK64?
    It was ass!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    All this worry.
    Did no one one play MK64?
    It was ass!

God I'd prefer mario kart wii over mk64. Rainbow road in that game was the single worst racing track in any game ever.

Lets make a really, really long track that takes ages to record a lap in and totally forget to make it interesting in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Rainbow Road in MK64 might have been awful, but it had some other courses that were great, and still hold up, like Moo Moo Farm, Koopa Beach, and it's version of Bowser's Castle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

God I love double dash. If this is as good it may tempt me to get a wii U.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rainbow Road in MK64 might have been awful, but it had some other courses that were great, and still hold up, like Moo Moo Farm, Koopa Beach, and it's version of Bowser's Castle

Yep but I found there's a lot more bad than good.

At least there was block fort battle mode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Still looks gorgeous to me with RGB scart cables. If you are using composite then everything is going to look like crap.

It's scart as well. I think this TV is just new and it's HD or nothing with it.

Block fort was great. The rest was awful I thought. Have it on the wii vc and it really does not hold up well.

MK8 is bound to be a lot better than 64 and wii, even if it might not be as good as DD. That's reason enough for me to get it eventually.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

In our house, with Double Dash, it always came down to one course: Baby Circuit.
    Nice simple small course, nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. Just race, and hope if someone got a red shell that you could take the turn just tight enough to lose it. And then that you could run the gauntlet that was banana skins and green shells bouncing around ad infinitum...

Man we spent many a night playing 7 laps of Baby Circuit. Even the most useless drivers could win a race. It was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Have to agree with all the Double Dash love. The peak of the series so far, that game had so much more personality than the Wii iteration. Still, hopeful for MK8.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Well reviews are already in and they say its the best MK game ever. Only time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Well reviews are already in and they say its the best MK game ever. Only time will tell.

They said that about the wii version and raved about it, ign was one I remember clearly. Once you played it you realised it was anything but the greatest version.

I'll have to play it myself, or hear the opinions of those who love DD to believe it :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

Anyone else kinda think the gay poses the characters pull when they're in the air is kinda off-putting?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nothing is as good as 8 player, LAN multiplayer in Double Dash, in my gamesroom last year.
    And Rainbow Road is too damn arbitrary!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nothing is as good as 8 player, LAN multiplayer in Double Dash, in my gamesroom last year.
    And Rainbow Road is too damn arbitrary!

You were all crap at rainbow road. I finish in first go downstairs get a drink, eat some jellies come back upstairs and there's still 7 people bouncing off all the walls of falling off the edge .:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I thought the Wii version was excellent. Better than DD.

There, I said it.

Kirby wrote: »

There, I said it.

The unpopular opinions thread is elsewhere you know... ;)

There, I said it.

Well it wasn't the best but I'd be hard pressed to call it terrible like some people would. I think the hardcore competitive people didn't like it but sure MK to me is a game I play with mates for a laugh and MK Wii did the job.

4Dlolz wrote: »
    Anyone else kinda think the gay poses the characters pull when they're in the air is kinda off-putting?!

I'm cho aniki's biggest fan, so no:

monkeypaw%20cho%20aniki.png

I didn't have much love for the Snes original Mario Kart but Super Circuit on the Gameboy Advance, that is something else.
    And the DS edition as well, sublime.
    I probably played the portable versions more than the console ones in truth, perhaps no 8 is going to change all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

There, I said it.

I didn't think the Wii version was bad at all, but DD was just perfect. Frankly going from that to the Wii version felt like a small step backwards to me.

Going from the Wii version to mk8 has a more positive feel and I get the impression that this one will be more fondly remembered in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Personally, I thought MK7 on the 3DS was the best Mario Kart to date, better than DD...

While DD had some great courses and mechanics, I still didn't like the two characters per kart. It worked well for juggling/hogging power-ups though.

• Advertisement

I'm Daisy....

I swear to god, I could have wrapped that controller around Dino and Retr0's neck only they were using Wavebirds.....

You leave Daisy alone, she's the best troll character ever.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You leave Daisy alone, she's the best troll character ever.

I'd go with Daisy, but I'd be thinking of Peach....
    Ah forget it,
    This is insane, an insane conversation
    She'll never leave Mario and we know it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

853138.gif

I've a bad habit of calling London "Nodnol"

I wonder if split screen online works with the custom tournaments you can set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Can you guys please shut up about the WiiU & MK8

Because I am really tempted to get the bundle:)

Do eet!

To quote the ad for Super Mario Bros 3
    "Mario! Mario! Mario! Mario!"
    :)

And you know you want it or you wouldn't be coming in here and tempting yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I liked DD but the double characters, like Damo said, was an uneventful addition considering the game was named after that mechanic.

Mario Kart 7 was/is pretty great, must play some more to get the mojo back over the next week, everything else gaming will be on hold for a while after that!

• Advertisement

Is it a good idea for them to release it on a long weekend? Means we have no excuse to stop playing before Tuesday. :)

Advertisement