Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Now that we've all had a couple of days to play, what's everyone's favourite tracks? Mine are definitely Shy Guy Falls and Electodome. The music in the second is just great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Electrodome is stunning, my son and I had a blast on that the other day.
    I really love this game, I gave to say, but it is a pity about the arenas in local multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've only played it for the first time tonight. Just did the 4 new cups. Will do the retro cups tomorrow. Needless to say, I'm quite crap. Also safe to say I mustn't like rainbow road since I refuse to stay on it. :)

Bronze, silver, gold and "Nice Try" (Patronising git) for the 4 cups in that order

But yeah the Electrodome is great. I especially noticed it when seem to drive over guitar chords.

Think this game proves Nintendo is not just for kids, since I doubt they would intentionally games like this that encourages kids to say the type of language said repeatedly while playing. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Pretty much been playing it non-stop today. 32 track versus mode is like Le Mans and also brings back the glory of the all-tour cup of Double Dash, if only the option to change characters between matches was there.
    Battle mode is a waste but I guess we made do with Mario Chase and Luigi Ghost Mansion on Nintendoland which was our free game choice.
    Really super offer.

Favourite karts/bikes are the 2 carousel horse power kart, yoshi bike and the ship. The creators missed a trick not including Dry Bones as there was an opportunity to recreate Ghost Rider with the chopper bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

The game is incredibly detailed for a racer , while other racer games I play put most of the detail into the car itself mario kart 8 makes bloody sure the smaller details still have the loudest impact.

Quite surprised how much detail was fitted in in most courses while still maintaining a solid 60fps

F-zero would look so beautiful on this engine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Pretty much been playing it non-stop today. 32 track versus mode is like Le Mans and also brings back the glory of the all-tour cup of Double Dash, if only the option to change characters between matches was there.
    Battle mode is a waste but I guess we made do with Mario Chase and Luigi Ghost Mansion on Nintendoland which was our free game choice.
    Really super offer.

Favourite karts/bikes are the 2 carousel horse power kart, yoshi bike and the ship. The creators missed a trick not including Dry Bones as there was an opportunity to recreate Ghost Rider with the chopper bike.

Is there any way that could be patched to bring back the arenas do you think? Disappointed they messed that up.

I wouldn't hold my breath for it but I'd love it.

Actually id also love more retro tracks released as dlc packs. Poor enough selection of the retro tracks in this, how the heck did they decide to put 3ds tracks on this as retro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I hate the Blue shell with a passion...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Game sold 1.2m over the weekend, making it the fastest selling Wii U game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

We've played 2 player with a pro controller and wiimote, so I'd imagine it's probably the same for 4 player.

can you do the stunts on pro controller

stunts increase your speed

and game pad and wii remote sideways and wii remote in wheel can do stunts

and need master the stunts for online playing

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Actually id also love more retro tracks released as dlc packs. Poor enough selection of the retro tracks in this, how the heck did they decide to put 3ds tracks on this as retro.

Banana Cup
    GCN Dry Dry Desert
    SNES Donut Plains 3
    N64 Royal Raceway
    3DS DK Jungle

Leaf Cup
    DS Wario Stadium
    GCN Sherbet Land
    3DS Music Park
    N64 Yoshi Valley

Lightning Cup
    DS Tick Tock Clock
    3DS Piranha Plant Slide
    Wii Grumble Volcano
    N64 Rainbow Road

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dry Dry Desert and Dry Bones Dunes are piss poor. Rest are grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    can you do the stunts on pro controller

stunts increase your speed

and game pad and wii remote sideways and wii remote in wheel can do stunts

and need master the stunts for online playing

You can do everything on the pro controller, same as on the Wii u pad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

those ****ing gophers

im having war flashbacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Game sold 1.2m over the weekend, making it the fastest selling Wii U game.

I'd love to see week on week sales after 3 months

all gold in every cup on 150cc according to ign website unlocks mirror mode

• Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

COYVB wrote: »
    I'd love to see week on week sales after 3 months

I'd say it'll be steady for the next few weeks at least with E3 happening. I know I've seen ones saying they're waiting til after E3 before getting a Wii U.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'd say it'll be steady for the next few weeks at least with E3 happening. I know I've seen ones saying they're waiting til after E3 before getting a Wii U.

I'd say it'll be a 60-70% decline week on week from here

• Advertisement

i say there will be a mario kart 8 tournament at Dublin Comic Con weekend in swords at national show centre which is about 10 mins walking distance from dublin airport

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The detail in every aspect of the game is pretty impressive.
    I'm loving it so far, though not playing as much of it as you guys and gals here.

Also has me playing Mario Kart Super Circuit again, feels very different but it's a lovely game, pipinnacle of the mode 7 art.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

My thoughts:

Fun to play, with just the right amount of challenging
    Wish they broke the drivers up into classes by size, like row by row, would have made more sense
    Some of the weapons are a bit overpowered (Pirhana Plant)
    I miss drivers like Boo and Dry Bones, too many Koopalings (Baby Rosalina wtf)
    Tracks are just the right amount of challenging
    CRAP retro tracks
    Maybe too many car/tyre choices, unnecessary padding

Makes me long for F-Zero the way it plays :P

Cormac... wrote: »
    My thoughts:

Fun to play, with just the right amount of challenging
    Wish they broke the drivers up into classes by size, like row by row, would have made more sense
    Some of the weapons are a bit overpowered (Pirhana Plant)
    I miss drivers like Boo and Dry Bones, too many Koopalings (Baby Rosalina wtf)
    Tracks are just the right amount of challenging
    CRAP retro tracks
    Maybe too many car/tyre choices, unnecessary padding

Makes me long for F-Zero the way it plays :P

me 2, too long since i see a F-Zero game i hope it come back real soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

me 2, too long since i see a F-Zero game i hope it come back real soon

i'd rob one of COYVB's wiiu's just for fzero

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Apparenlty the graphical limitations of the consoles always held them back from making the F-Zero games they wanted given the number of racers etc, Imagine what it would look like on Wii-U…. and that music :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Two disappointments for me though would be battle mode and retro tracks. Both are pretty poor.

They could fix both with dlc (and I'd buy it) but it does annoy me somewhat.

Other than that i feel like another poster said they padded out the characters with the item selection. Would have preferred they spent the time incorporating better characters.

...and other than that its a fabulous game.
    Plays beautifully in both single and online play which was vital they got right.

It also looks amazing. This and Mario 3D world really show how powerful the Wii U truely is. Both games are just stunning visually.

But all of that said most importantly of them all its just pure fun. We sometimes forget why we play games. Nearly becomes a habit but Mario Kart 8 just makes you feel like youre having fun. I like that.

I'd disagree with you on the retro tracks, I love them, with the exception of the sandy ones. Are there other great MK tracks? Sure there are, but they can't include everyone's favourites, or they'd have to put in every course* from every game.

*except some of the rainbow road courses.

I'd disagree with you on the retro tracks, I love them, with the exception of the sandy ones. Are there other great MK tracks? Sure there are, but they can't include everyone's favourites, or they'd have to put in every course* from every game.

*except some of the rainbow road courses.

My problem with the retro tracks is the inclusion of some 3ds tracks. They are current and most defiantly not retro. Also I dislike the Wii tracks that are included as they are useless by and large.

• Advertisement

My opinion on the 3DS / Wii tracks:

3DS:
    DK Jungle - Good track
    Music Park - One of my favourite tracks!
    Piranha Plant Slide - Good track

Wii:
    Moo Moo Meadows - Love this one, it's crammed full of character and the music is awesome.
    Grumble Volcano - Fun track, like how it changes on each lap.

The only retro track I don't like is the one of the two from the revered Double Dash: Dry Dry Desert.

The SNES/N64/GBA/DS tracks are a power sliders dream.

Advertisement